BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Keyed :(

12-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #45
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
I have a Blackvue DR650S 2 channel so it runs front and rear, and I run it using a power magic pro from blackboxmycar.com which allows it to run for about 3 days until the battery reaches 12v and shuts off the power to the dashcam.
I have a DR750S setup, also with a power magic pro and also from blackboxmycar.com.

I find however, that it only runs for about 6 hours before switching off, and I have a feeling it's because I'm running into a BMW power switch off rather than PMP 12v switch off.

Where do you have your 12v permanent connected to? I'm connecting mine to one of the fuses with an add-a-fuse, and there is definitely 12v coming from it after the ignition is off, but I'm not able to verify if there is 12v coming from it after the camera switches off.

I would love to know how to keep it running for a little over 12 hours, just in case I parked overnight somewhere.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #46
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I have a DR750S setup, also with a power magic pro and also from blackboxmycar.com.

I find however, that it only runs for about 6 hours before switching off, and I have a feeling it's because I'm running into a BMW power switch off rather than PMP 12v switch off.

Where do you have your 12v permanent connected to? I'm connecting mine to one of the fuses with an add-a-fuse, and there is definitely 12v coming from it after the ignition is off, but I'm not able to verify if there is 12v coming from it after the camera switches off.

I would love to know how to keep it running for a little over 12 hours, just in case I parked overnight somewhere.
I can't remember exactly which fuse I added into as I installed several months ago, BUT I believe it was either 73, 74, or 75. One of those.

It definitely runs for about 12 hours (I do drive the car every day so maybe that has something to do with it, as my battery is fully charged up). If I park at around 8pm when I get home the camera is always still running when I get in the car at 8am, and the footage saved goes all through the night.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #47
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

That really sucks, sorry to hear. I've never had a car keyed "knock on wood", but have gotten door dings with previous cars. When I had my M235i, I had blackvue dash cams also. I try to park carefully, but not too carefully or isolated.

It's weird, but it seems like when I park normally, with all the other cars I have no issues. It seems like people are careful not to ding the car. You always will have a$$holes though.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #48
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
That really sucks, sorry to hear. I've never had a car keyed "knock on wood", but have gotten door dings with previous cars. When I had my M235i, I had blackvue dash cams also. I try to park carefully, but not too carefully or isolated.

It's weird, but it seems like when I park normally, with all the other cars I have no issues. It seems like people are careful not to ding the car. You always will have a$$holes though.
When my long-gone STi was a few weeks old, I made the mistake of parking it way out in the periphery of a Home Depot parking lot at dusk. There were a couple of guys I saw eyeing the car, but I decided that it would be racist on my part to move it since I had no reason to expect anything happening to the car. I parked it way out to avoid door dings.

When I came back to the car it had been vandalized to the tune of $1800, with a mallet of some sort and a knife. There was a dent in the side just above the gas door and another one in the hood, plus cut marks made in the plastic front bumper cover. My insurance covered the damage, fortunately, although I was out the $500 deductible. The adjuster told me that most vandalism seems to happen to nearly new cars. Home Depot told me that although they have cameras in the parking lot, they only cover the front entrance area.

Since then, I have been careful of which car I take out after dark, and where I park it. I no longer seek out a far off parking spot with no cars around to avoid door dings. It is better to park in the midst of the other cars, which ensures that there will be activity and other people passing by constantly, which makes it harder for someone to break into or vandalize your car.
      01-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #49
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
When my long-gone STi was a few weeks old, I made the mistake of parking it way out in the periphery of a Home Depot parking lot at dusk. There were a couple of guys I saw eyeing the car, but I decided that it would be racist on my part to move it since I had no reason to expect anything happening to the car. I parked it way out to avoid door dings.

When I came back to the car it had been vandalized to the tune of $1800, with a mallet of some sort and a knife. There was a dent in the side just above the gas door and another one in the hood, plus cut marks made in the plastic front bumper cover. My insurance covered the damage, fortunately, although I was out the $500 deductible. The adjuster told me that most vandalism seems to happen to nearly new cars. Home Depot told me that although they have cameras in the parking lot, they only cover the front entrance area.

Since then, I have been careful of which car I take out after dark, and where I park it. I no longer seek out a far off parking spot with no cars around to avoid door dings. It is better to park in the midst of the other cars, which ensures that there will be activity and other people passing by constantly, which makes it harder for someone to break into or vandalize your car.
Even though it was a while ago, I'm sorry to hear about your STI. On thinking it would be racist to move your car, without getting too political or controversial I'll just say trust your instincts in that scenario.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #50
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Even though it was a while ago, I'm sorry to hear about your STI. On thinking it would be racist to move your car, without getting too political or controversial I'll just say trust your instincts in that scenario.
but obviously, I was mistaken! These were a couple of shady looking characters, regardless of their ethnicity!
      01-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #51
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
but obviously, I was mistaken! These were a couple of shady looking characters, regardless of their ethnicity!
I'm not sure you understood what I meant, or maybe I misunderstood you. You said you noticed them eyeing your car. I assumed your first extinct was to move your car the way I read it. That's why I said trust your instincts. I never mentioned ethnicity because you never specifically did. You only said you didn't want to be racist but, I didn't want to speculate (opening a can of worms).

Reading your post now, I know they made you feel not quite right, because you said they were shady looking. My point was, just trust your instincts like I mentioned, regardless of race.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #52
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowflies View Post
It was bound to happen. Parked in the back of the lot, under a light, little island thing on one side no car on the other side, Target.

I didn’t notice it till I got gas so I couldn’t tell who did it. Other than a serious douchebag.

I’m worked up about it and pissed. so now I’m trying to think how much the dealer is gonna charge me. I don’t want to risk taking it anywhere else and someone try and match the paint.

Anyone have experience with this?
Sorry to hear this. Did it happen in the parking lot of the Target located in Canton? I used to work there and thought that area was ok, but I guess something like this could happen anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #53
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

I always try to find the closest "corner spot" (at least one curb - left or right side), but not a mile away from the door. Park as close to the curb as possible being careful not to incur curb rash just to leave more than enough room for people (usually their evil/simple minded spawn) to wing their doors open as far as they want. No door dings for years using this approach and still close enough to other cars/people to deter jealous idiots from misbehaving.
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      01-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #54
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB --> LBB View Post
I always try to find the closest "corner spot" (at least one curb - left or right side), but not a mile away from the door. Park as close to the curb as possible being careful not to incur curb rash just to leave more than enough room for people (usually their evil/simple minded spawn) to wing their doors open as far as they want. No door dings for years using this approach and still close enough to other cars/people to deter jealous idiots from misbehaving.
That's a good method. I do that also when I can.
Appreciate 0