BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Drunk yells at van to move his car and the van backs into my M2

03-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #23
Diver21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Let me reiterate the sentiment that it's just a car. And this is coming from someone who is in the category of "most-anal" about their car.

Since day-one, I've parked my car in the same spot at work, slightly shifted to the edge of the end-spot to avoid door dings. This happens to be a spot that drips water onto my rear left fender in the parking garage from a seam in the floor above whenever it rained. I tolerated it given I liked the spot (it doesn't rain that much in ATX ...).

In 2018, I decided I had enough of that, and "moved" to the next end spot in an adjacent row. Within two weeks, someone backed into my front right fender!

It took me a few days (maybe more than a few) to calm down. I talked myself out of the "I'm done, I'll fix it and trade it off for a Honda Civic" phase.

All of this was topped off by a couple of other things:
* Getting a cracked windshield on the way to getting the car estimate done ...
* Finding at the repair shop that in fact the parking garage had been raining down rocks as it decomposed due to the water. I had rock chips on the rear fender.

I figured if the car was getting painted (for the front fender), I'd have them paint the rear fender rock chips.

Bottom line, I can't tell it's been painted. Find the right shop and I'm sure you'll be the same.

Then, if it's the car you'll keep forever, who cares? Life's too short. If it's the car you'll sell (like most folks), it's probably a 5% hit (whatever that is when you get to that point). For me, I'll try to pass that on today to the other guy's insurance.

Chill ...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #24
impulsiv
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

It’s just a car. Fuck i hate reading that. Just accept the fact that «a car» can represent different things to different poeple.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #25
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Praying over here !

Im very anal about my car ... wish you the best
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #26
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsiv View Post
It’s just a car. Fuck i hate reading that. Just accept the fact that «a car» can represent different things to different poeple.
Whatever it represents to you, some clown can plow into your (whatever it is to you) and in several seconds later leave you with a totaled pile of twisted metal, worth nothing more than an insurance claim.

It's a thing.
      03-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #27
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I have never understood this front license plate fetish, but one reads it on almost any car forum for any car that enthusiasts care about. Lots of states require front plates in addition to back plates. Sure, you can leave it off and maybe you will get away with it, and maybe you won't. Or you can buy one of those gadgets that might hold your front plate without having drilled holes in the bumper. If you leave the front plate off and you happen to pass by the wrong state trooper, you can end up getting pulled over and cited for both the absence of the front plate and for the 7 mph you were going over the speed limit, which the guy might not have bothered pulling you over for if that was your only offense. That will look just great on your driving record, and really help to lower your insurance premiums :-)

I have never, once, heard of a collectible or semi-collectible or enthusiast car transaction that did not go through because of a couple of small holes in the front bumper cover. Hell, for not too much more than $1000-$1200 you can get most any front bumper cover replaced and repainted at a decent body shop and start all over. Plus, most of these sorts of cars have really low front bumpers and at some point in their lives someone misjudged one of those concrete things at the front of a parking space and scratched the hell out of it. Sometimes you are just better off replacing the thing when you buy used, if you are that fastidious.

People, these are cars. They develop blemishes as they are used. If the most serious problem with a used or vintage car you are considering buying is that someone installed a front license plate holder and had a plate on it, you are looking at a sweet used vehicle.

How is the relevant to the OP's post??
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #28
impulsiv
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Whatever it represents to you, some clown can plow into your (whatever it is to you) and in several seconds later leave you with a totaled pile of twisted metal, worth nothing more than an insurance claim.

It's a thing.
A car is a car because anything wrong can happen to it. Yeah right, whatever.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #29
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
How is the relevant to the OP's post??
I didn't reply to the original post; can you read?
      03-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #30
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Sorry about your accident akkano. Luckily it's not too bad. On the subject of front plates, I'm fortunate to have lived in states, most of my adult life; that only require a rear plate. A friend of mine who is a lawyer, said he doesn't like the one plate law because it can make it slightly harder for cops or individuals to identify wrongdoers in traffic violations.

I like the look of not having the license plate in front, but if I were in a state that required it, I would use it. What I don't like is when it's mounted on the side, utilizing the front tow hook location. I know this is an option some prefer, but it looks better to just have the plate centered, IMHO.

I wish the U.S. adopted the Euro style license plates. IMO those would look much sleeker and cleaner. Maybe have a symbol on the side to identify the state.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #31
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
I didn't reply to the original post; can you read?
I sure can. I know how to stay on topic also
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #32
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Sorry about your accident akkano. Luckily it's not too bad. On the subject of front plates, I'm fortunate to have lived in states, most of my adult life; that only require a rear plate. A friend of mine who is a lawyer, said he doesn't like the one plate law because it can make it slightly harder for cops or individuals to identify wrongdoers in traffic violations.

I like the look of not having the license plate in front, but if I were in a state that required it, I would use it. What I don't like is when it's mounted on the side, utilizing the front tow hook location. I know this is an option some prefer, but it looks better to just have the plate centered, IMHO.

I wish the U.S. adopted the Euro style license plates. IMO those would look much sleeker and cleaner. Maybe have a symbol on the side to identify the state.
Will never happen. I don't know what the historical basis of the size and shape of US and Canadian plates is, but the form factor has been around for many decades.

In addition, the many different options for both optional design state plates and for personalized plates (and often in combination), are an enormous revenue source to the states. Some states even use those plates for both revenue to themselves and revenue to certain organizations, usually non-profits. For example, you pay $30 (or more) per year extra, and part of the money goes to a charity and part goes to the state as an administrative fee.

There is no way that the states will give up that revenue stream, and you will hear screams of agony from the many charitable organizations that get money from the plates also. European plates are great for displaying a bunch of alphanumeric data, but there is no room for pictures and slogans and affinity organization messages.
      03-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #33
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I sure can. I know how to stay on topic also
Then we will just have to appoint you as the final arbiter on such things.
      03-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #34
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Will never happen. I don't know what the historical basis of the size and shape of US and Canadian plates is, but the form factor has been around for many decades.

In addition, the many different options for both optional design state plates and for personalized plates (and often in combination), are an enormous revenue source to the states. Some states even use those plates for both revenue to themselves and revenue to certain organizations, usually non-profits. For example, you pay $30 (or more) per year extra, and part of the money goes to a charity and part goes to the state as an administrative fee.

There is no way that the states will give up that revenue stream, and you will hear screams of agony from the many charitable organizations that get money from the plates also. European plates are great for displaying a bunch of alphanumeric data, but there is no room for pictures and slogans and affinity organization messages.
No argument from me on that, it's not that big of deal, I just thought it would look nicer.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #35
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

OMG...OP you were so calm. I would have been chasing that van with a hockey stick if that were my car. Dole out a little "Canadian Justice" if you know what I'm saying.
Appreciate 1
jonahk703.50
      03-19-2018, 10:32 PM   #36
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
OMG...OP you were so calm. I would have been chasing that van with a hockey stick if that were my car. Dole out a little "Canadian Justice" if you know what I'm saying.
At the moment I didn't know anything had happened. I just saw from a window the drunk guy waving at the van to move and that looked and sounded like trouble to me, but I didn't know what had happened when I got outside, and I couldn't see damage, and I didn't hear any crunch noise on my way out, and I had my shoes in my hands lol. In hindsight obviously I wish I would have chased the van.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #37
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

What if the state would allow Euro style plates if you PAY EXTRA to have them? That puts money into their pocket for golden paper clips and thumbtacks, they like that.
Appreciate 1
qnet676.00
      03-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #38
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
What if the state would allow Euro style plates if you PAY EXTRA to have them? That puts money into their pocket for golden paper clips and thumbtacks, they like that.
No idea; you'd have to ask them
      03-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #39
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
At the moment I didn't know anything had happened. I just saw from a window the drunk guy waving at the van to move and that looked and sounded like trouble to me, but I didn't know what had happened when I got outside, and I couldn't see damage, and I didn't hear any crunch noise on my way out, and I had my shoes in my hands lol. In hindsight obviously I wish I would have chased the van.
I had an experience today that was wholly different in context to yours, but very similar in concept.

I was skiing with a friend at a famous ski resort not to far from where I live, and this idiot comes up from behind on a cat track and tries to cut in between me and the side of the cat track. I was skiing at most 2 feet from where the rocks and slope are, and making short turns to keep my speed down. So I feel what I thought was some rocks contacting my skis but in fact it was this jerk's skis contacting the back of my skis. Since I don't have eyes in the back of my head and since this idiot didn't say anything while he was trying to pass me from behind, I had no idea that he was even there.

So this clown becomes incredibly belligerent and wants to duke it out with me right then and there, right in front of the ski lift at the end of this cat track. My friend whom I was skiing with comes on the scene 15 seconds later and tells this bozo that if he wants to have it out with me then he's going to have to fight the both of us. The bozo then tries to get both or either of us to fight with him; he was really and truly an idiot, and if he wasn't a foot and a half taller than I am, and way younger than both my friend and I were, it would not have been more than laughable.

My friend, who has worked for the mountain in the past, grabbed the guy's pass hanging from his neck and got his name, then said it out loud, "at least now I know who you are." He had the presence of mind to do that, I didn't (but then he is younger and bigger than I am). I really did not want to get into a confrontation with this guy and I convinced my friend that we just needed to get on the chairlift and get out of there, which we did. On the chair, I called the ski patrol and alerted them to this cretin, and they got back to me and told me that he was not local and this was the first time he had skied at the area so they would keep tabs on him in their database but weren't going to do anything else, for now.

I only mention this not to give you all the boring details of this incident that happened to me today, but rather to say that some people (like my friend) have the presence of mind to know what to do on their feet when something like this (or your M2 incident) happens, and other people (like me and maybe you) just don't react this fast in this sort of situation, and when we do get our wits about us, the time has passed.

I'm not sure this is a bad thing; we probably have other things that we do well, in the reasoning realm, that compensate for it, judgement things that help us out on the other end of things, just fast reactions to situations like this may not be our strong suit.
      03-20-2018, 01:37 AM   #40
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Yes; the look is a little less...but don't care and it's a personal thing if you are bothered by those kind of things. Cause damage...you don't see, because there is the license plate holder on that spot Effect aerodynamics...hmm that is a good one... I think people who fit aftermarket spoiler, front lips, etc will upset the aerodynamics way more then the original license plate holder

I think it's a Euro thing and they'd go a few kms faster when no licenceplate

That yellow thing did a world speed record for a streetcar:

And that thing from Woking too:

@OP, sorry for what happened, find the drunk guy and hit him with a licenceplateholder)))

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #41
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Random Thoughts

1. This sucks - I'm sorry OP. I would be really upset as well.
2. As much as I love my car and do everything to protect it, it is a car - it does not have feelings nor does it feel pain. Very different than a person. They often times can be healed to as good as new by a competent body shop - which is not always the case with a human.
3. The front license plate thing cracks me up - put me in the "its the law... I don't like it, I wish my state did not have it*, but the holes that are drilled into my bumper are hidden nicely by the front plate - so I really don't care. See #2 in case you are worried that you have hurt the car.
4. *did that van have a front plate? Might have been a nice way to identify the driver (maybe I don't hate the law that much).
5. Front plate aerodynamics? Now that's just funny on street car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #42
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i AW/BLK

How you had the self control to not knock that guy out is beyond me...
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      03-21-2018, 05:35 AM   #43
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Screw that.

They look like crap and cause damage just being against the paint and effect aerodynamics.
Yes; the look is a little less...but don't care and it's a personal thing if you are bothered by those kind of things. Cause damage...you don't see, because there is the license plate holder on that spot Effect aerodynamics...hmm that is a good one... I think people who fit aftermarket spoiler, front lips, etc will upset the aerodynamics way more then the original license plate holder
Maybe so.

But a front plate is the worst for airflow.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #44
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

haha, that guys face and gestures when you walk out and approach him. not so loud and obnoxious at that point. that video is priceless.

doesn't look like any damage I'd be concerned with personally. sucks that it happened though. I'm sure I'd feel differently if someone backed into my car and drove off. I'd be more upset at the van driver than the drunk. put one of those rubber bumper pads on the front and rear when you park over night or maybe 1 big orange cone front and rear! I had so many door dings on my 335i msport by the time I sold it, I gave up trying to park far away...people are just going to be people.
Appreciate 0