BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Spotify on BMW apps

01-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Spotify on BMW apps

Hi

New owner here... Someone told me that a family member of theirs can access Spotify directly from their car using the car data... No phone required whatsoever.

I think this is possibly using something called BMW apps which I appear to have (in the UK) but I only have calendar and a couple of others, I don't have Spotify on there and can't see any option to add apps.

Any thoughts please?

I understand you can use Spotify over Bluetooth and browse playlists etc. but this isn't what I'm referring to.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

The bmw apps depend on your phone being plugged in AFAIK. Besides weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
The bmw apps depend on your phone being plugged in AFAIK. Besides weather.
Hmm haven't tried plugging in.

Got calendar working and also Spotify app over Bluetooth (not the same as Bluetooth audio streaming)... The Spotify over Bluetooth does crash occasionally though

Will try plugging in and see

Person that mentioned it said that family member can use it completely without a phone though... I thought that was strange so it's possible they misunderstood
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Mine shows the spotify app and I can use it to pick a playlist etc. I believe I HAVE to have spotify on my phone for it to work, but you can control it from the iDrive. However I don't think you can search, you have to have played the music you want recently or have what you want in a playlist or pick a genre or something.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Mine shows the spotify app and I can use it to pick a playlist etc. I believe I HAVE to have spotify on my phone for it to work, but you can control it from the iDrive. However I don't think you can search, you have to have played the music you want recently or have what you want in a playlist or pick a genre or something.
Yeah that sounds like what I've got working already then.

Hmm odd, maybe the playing directly from the embedded car data SIM isn't possible then and he misunderstood
Appreciate 1
ryzer3021.00
      01-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by azibux1 View Post
Yeah that sounds like what I've got working already then.

Hmm odd, maybe the playing directly from the embedded car data SIM isn't possible then and he misunderstood
Spotify is so flaky there may be things about it I have not bothered to explore. I usually listen to podcasts anyway. Less boring and doesn't cover the engine noise so much...
Appreciate 1
azibux142.00
      01-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
ryzer30
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Hi

New owner here... Someone told me that a family member of theirs can access Spotify directly from their car using the car data... No phone required whatsoever.

I think this is possibly using something called BMW apps which I appear to have (in the UK) but I only have calendar and a couple of others, I don't have Spotify on there and can't see any option to add apps.

Any thoughts please?

I understand you can use Spotify over Bluetooth and browse playlists etc. but this isn't what I'm referring to.

Thanks!
When I bought my M2 from the dealer it came with a free subscription to either deezer or Napster. So I use that instead, Spotify option worked via Bluetooth. But my deezer and Napster i don't need the phone I just log in and have all my playlists it's downloads them to car and away I go. Handy feature

Edit: also web site that allow you to move playlist for free from one service to another so didn't lose out or need to sit and make them al up again
      02-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

You need to have the phone connected, either by bluetooth or usb. Once connected, you can browse to the „Cennected Drive" menu and you see the Spotify app there. If you launch it from there, you can browse all your albums, playlists and so on directly trough idrive, basically control the whole app.
However, I didn't manage to make it work if the phone is not connected, then the Spotify app won't appear in the Connected Drive menu.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #9
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaan View Post
You need to have the phone connected, either by bluetooth or usb. Once connected, you can browse to the „Cennected Drive" menu and you see the Spotify app there. If you launch it from there, you can browse all your albums, playlists and so on directly trough idrive, basically control the whole app.
However, I didn't manage to make it work if the phone is not connected, then the Spotify app won't appear in the Connected Drive menu.
Thanks

I got it working over bluetooth but strangely in the list of three songs you see in the screen between the speedos there was an odd issue

Went as follows

Top song - previous song (as expected)
Middle song - current song (as expected)
Bottom song - you'd expect next song, but the text was the same as the playing / middle song

Was something like that... got annoying so went back to standard bluetooth streaming lol
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks

I got it working over bluetooth but strangely in the list of three songs you see in the screen between the speedos there was an odd issue

Went as follows

Top song - previous song (as expected)
Middle song - current song (as expected)
Bottom song - you'd expect next song, but the text was the same as the playing / middle song

Was something like that... got annoying so went back to standard bluetooth streaming lol
That is indeed strange. For me this works as expected, maybe you need to update the idrive bluetooth interface, if not done already, check this out:

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/compat...#firmware.html
Appreciate 1
azibux142.00
      02-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That is indeed strange. For me this works as expected, maybe you need to update the idrive bluetooth interface, if not done already, check this out:

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/compat...#firmware.html
Thanks I'll check that out. I imagine if more people had the issue I'd have seen it online - so probably is some bug or glitch
Appreciate 0