BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Rotor Rusted after car wash

03-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #23
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
No matter how much and from what angle I blow out the mirrors, they'll still drool for a few miles after I wash. It's maddening. I hit the drip spots with some detailer after that first drive and I'm good.

I never thought to blow out the wheels to get the rusty water out (the back of the wheel). I don't have a huge problem with the rusty water, maybe once every 4 washes, but I'm going to give it a shot, especially if I'm going to drive the car right away. It'll only take a few minutes.
I noticed that after blowing the mirrors dry I can get any remaining water that is trapped by hitting the side view mirror folding switch. When they go to the closed position a lot of trapped water is able to escape and then I don't have any more drips.
Appreciate 3
McGary911472.00
BSMF87139.50
      03-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #24
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Annoys me every time. I have tried using some iron X, which sort of works.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 04:36 AM   #25
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I just set the parking brake at the lowest notch and drive for 10 feet. No Rust.
This would only do anything for the rear rotor... parking brake on this car is a separate drum brake that acts inside the rear rotor bell, AFAIK.

Fronts are going to rust if you don't dry them and the rear rotors may still rust if the parking brake doesn't heat them up enough to evaporate the water.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 01:31 PM   #26
bummie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Rust on rotors

C'mon guys, the rotors are made of iron, iron rusts.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #27
Light_F87
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

I used the Hyde spray this weekend. It works pretty well. There may still be some orange spots if it didn't get sprayed...but, I would say it reduced 95% of the orange rust on the front face of the disc.

I actually haven't driven the car after the wash yet. I'll do that tomorrow and report back if there's still significant rust dust. I'm wondering if there's rust on the backside of the rotor that I'm not able to spray...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #28
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBR View Post
I used the Hyde spray this weekend. It works pretty well. There may still be some orange spots if it didn't get sprayed...but, I would say it reduced 95% of the orange rust on the front face of the disc.

I actually haven't driven the car after the wash yet. I'll do that tomorrow and report back if there's still significant rust dust. I'm wondering if there's rust on the backside of the rotor that I'm not able to spray...
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the easiest and most effective way to clear the rust is to take the car just around the block with a couple of brake applications right after drying it off. Works like a charm and its free.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      04-06-2018, 11:51 PM   #29
Light_F87
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan King View Post
Quote:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the easiest and most effective way to clear the rust is to take the car just around the block with a couple of brake applications right after drying it off. Works like a charm and its free.
Quote:
Quote:

Yea. Last time I just tried rolling up/down my driveway a few times after washing the wheels and that helped.

I was hoping the Hyde would be an easy solution. Unfortunately, there's still rust deeper in the barrel...probably from the backside of the rotor??
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:21 PM   #30
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarwin View Post
Use a leaf blower on my wheels - dries the rotors and removes most of the water (no water spots).
Not to mention you can also blow out the panel gaps, gas filler area, the mirrors, etc. The M2 mirrors hold about a gallon of water each. They will dribble water down your door for days if you dont get them blown out.

I figure I spend 3 to 5 minutes blowing off the car after a wash. Very little time and it really helps.
The best way to get the water out of the mirrors is to fold the mirrors in.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #31
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Not to mention you can also blow out the panel gaps, gas filler area, the mirrors, etc. The M2 mirrors hold about a gallon of water each. They will dribble water down your door for days if you dont get them blown out.

I figure I spend 3 to 5 minutes blowing off the car after a wash. Very little time and it really helps.
No matter how much and from what angle I blow out the mirrors, they'll still drool for a few miles after I wash. It's maddening. I hit the drip spots with some detailer after that first drive and I'm good.

I never thought to blow out the wheels to get the rusty water out (the back of the wheel). I don't have a huge problem with the rusty water, maybe once every 4 washes, but I'm going to give it a shot, especially if I'm going to drive the car right away. It'll only take a few minutes.
Just fold the mirrors in and dry all the water out. Helped so much when I first learned about this.
Appreciate 2
McGary911472.00
DETRoadster11462.50
      04-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #32
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

So everyone is having this problem and the solution seems to be driving it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #33
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethC View Post
Yes. Up until last week I was constantly getting water leaks from the grills and mirrors after drying the car and it was a pain in the ass. I also had the rotor rust. The next time I'd drive the car the rust would turn the rims orange and they'd look awful. So I read this thread and thought, what they hell I'll give the driving around the block thing a chance.

Worked like a charm.

Drove it for 2 min after my last wash and then came back to dry it off/wipe it down. No rotor rust at all and no leaks from the mirrors or grills. I'm going to do this every time from now on. And the best part is that it's free lol. Wish I knew about this sooner. Saves a lot of time and energy.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #34
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Yes. Up until last week I was constantly getting water leaks from the grills and mirrors after drying the car and it was a pain in the ass. I also had the rotor rust. The next time I'd drive the car the rust would turn the rims orange and they'd look awful. So I read this thread and thought, what they hell I'll give the driving around the block thing a chance.

Worked like a charm.

Drove it for 2 min after my last wash and then came back to dry it off/wipe it down. No rotor rust at all and no leaks from the mirrors or grills. I'm going to do this every time from now on. And the best part is that it's free lol. Wish I knew about this sooner. Saves a lot of time and energy.
Have you been folding the mirrors in when you dry? There is a lot of water that can be hidden in there and then you don't have to be annoyed by the constant dripping.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #35
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have you been folding the mirrors in when you dry? There is a lot of water that can be hidden in there, then you don't have to be annoyed by the constant dripping.
Yes, I was folding the mirrors but that still didn't get 100% of the water out and some leakage would still occur down the side of the doors hours after the car was washed and dried. The front grills are also a problem area and the same would occur there as well.

The best solution is to go for a short drive after the wash is done (but before you dry the car). It gets ALL of the water out of the hidden hard to reach areas and it prevents the rotors from rusting as well. Then you just dry the car and you're done. No leaks and no rust.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #36
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have you been folding the mirrors in when you dry? There is a lot of water that can be hidden in there, then you don't have to be annoyed by the constant dripping.
Yes, I was folding the mirrors but that still didn't get 100% of the water out and some leakage would still occur down the side of the doors hours after the car was washed and dried. The front grills are also a problem area and the same would occur there as well.

The best solution is to go for a short drive after the wash is done (but before you dry the car). It gets ALL of the water out of the hidden hard to reach areas and it prevents the rotors from rusting as well. Then you just dry the car and you're done. No leaks and no rust.
Sounds good
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #37
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep

Quote:

One of these helps a lot before towel drying to get the bulk of water off the car and tight spots.

https://www.amazon.com/TURBINE-Corde...ds=leaf+blower
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #38
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One of these helps a lot before towel drying to get the bulk of water off the car and tight spots.

https://www.amazon.com/TURBINE-Corde...ds=leaf+blower
I'm considering one of these because of the small size:

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/adam-...-sidekick.html
      04-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #39
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep

Quote:
I'm considering one of these because of the small size:

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/adam-...-sidekick.html
I almost purchased one myself, but have heard mixed reviews on its ability to move water in volume. They are not cheap either by any means for what your getting.
Appreciate 0