BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 2013 FR-S > 2018 M2 (mini review)

03-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
fuz10n
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M2

2013 FR-S > 2018 M2 (mini review)

I traded in my FR-S for an M2 on Wednesday, here are a few things I've noticed. Note - both cars have a manual transmission and are completely stock (save for a couple cosmetic upgrades on the M2). M2 has exec package and moonroof.

The suspension is much more smooth and DD friendly than the FR-S. Still feel the road and car intimately and am satisfied completely. I've read a lot of people say the suspension is too much but it feels just perfect IMO.

This is my first car with a turbo and WOW. I'm still breaking her in and haven't exceeded 5k RPM and am just floored at the feeling and sound of the turbo. So lovely. Even with the tires still <100 miles the rear end handles the power wonderfully.

Handling is superb. This is quite a bit taller of fa car, and while I hit the limit recently going around a turn and stability control saved me, I think this is due to the tires not being broken in. It was a heat of the moment thing not proud of it.

The placement of all of the interior controls are really placed with attention to detail. I'm still getting used to the window control location, but everything else just feels so natural. Everything feels very luxurious, especially compared to the FR-S. I've read complaints that the interior isn't that great but I really dig it. Maybe compared to other cars in this range it is lacking, but for me it's just grand. The features are very nice and aside from a few very minor glitches with iDrive working with Carplay I have no complaints. The auto headlights, climate control, heated seats, etc. all are really blowing me away. Seats are on another level of comfort.

Steering feels more artificial in the M2 than the FR-s, but it is still very nice. I test drove a 3-series and was disappointed in the steering, but the M2's steering is much more precise in comparison. The turning radius seems to be a bit less in the M2 than the FR-S as well, still getting used to that.

Stock exhaust is quite loud. Louder than I expected (but in a good way). It has a very mean, deep sound and have gotten compliments from a stranger already just while going to park at the store. The stock exhaust on the FR-S has a nice note but is extremely quiet in comparison.

I can't even imagine what this car does when it gets opened up all the way, I'm sure i'll be both terrified and delighted. Bonus pic attached (be gentle on the front license plate drilling).

Andrew
Attached Images

Last edited by fuz10n; 03-16-2018 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 10
      03-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I had a 6MT 2013 Subaru BRZ (identical to FR-S), which I only owned for a year, which was enough for me :-) I somehow managed to put 2000 miles on it in 12 months, but I had another car that was way more useful (VW Jetta Sportwagen). They both got traded in on an STi, which I tolerated for a couple of years.

I wouldn't know where to start in comparing a BRZ to an M2. On has to admire Subaru and Toyota for coming out with the thing, but unfortunately they made it entirely to a price point, not to a quality and fitment level. The interior compared unfavorably with some base level Chevy Aveos that I've rented from Enterprise, the ones that come with crank windows. It was really underpowered, unless you are one of those people who thinks the Mazda Miata is a great car because they put a weed whacker motor into it :-)

If they would increase the BRZ/FR-S hp to, say 250 or 275, put in some sound insulation, and improve the interior, you could have a winner of a car, and still probably sell it for less than $35K. Now that would be interesting.

Enjoy your M2!
      03-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
fuz10n
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
If they would increase the BRZ/FR-S hp to, say 250 or 275, put in some sound insulation, and improve the interior, you could have a winner of a car, and still probably sell it for less than $35K. Now that would be interesting.

Enjoy your M2!
Thanks! Agreed with your points. We’ll see what BMW and Toyota does with the new z4/Supra
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I had a 6MT 2013 Subaru BRZ (identical to FR-S), which I only owned for a year, which was enough for me :-) I somehow managed to put 2000 miles on it in 12 months, but I had another car that was way more useful (VW Jetta Sportwagen). They both got traded in on an STi, which I tolerated for a couple of years.

I wouldn't know where to start in comparing a BRZ to an M2. On has to admire Subaru and Toyota for coming out with the thing, but unfortunately they made it entirely to a price point, not to a quality and fitment level. The interior compared unfavorably with some base level Chevy Aveos that I've rented from Enterprise, the ones that come with crank windows. It was really underpowered, unless you are one of those people who thinks the Mazda Miata is a great car because they put a weed whacker motor into it :-)

Enjoy your M2!
A friend of mine just bought 2018 BRZ. The interior quality seems better at least, but............... 80 miles on it and the check engine light came on. Valves too tight. Been in the shop for just over two weeks now. When he brought it in they asked what kind of gas he put into it, and he told them he had not even had it long enough to even put gas in it!.

Last edited by akkando; 03-17-2018 at 01:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Great looking car. Enjoy!

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #6
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Nice write up. I really agree with the measure of quality the M2 has over similar cars. It may not be as refined as some of its bigger brothers, but it's still unmatched in feel with other non-BMW cars. The feeling of the cockpit, the various knobs and buttons on the dash and center console, the way iDrive just works and doesn't try to be too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #7
fuz10n
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
A friend of mine just bought 2018 BRZ. The interior quality seems better at least, but............... 80 miles on it and it went check engine light. Valves too tight. Been in the shop for just over two weeks now. They asked what kind of gas he put into it when he brought it in, and he told them he had no had it long enough to even put gas in it!.
Mine had issues with the passenger-side window "hard-press" auto-rolldown working intermittently. Distracting to the driver to need to pay attention to whether the windows roll up or not. Dealership wasn't able to fix it, nor the tail lights filling with water. Torque-dip between 3-5k was just annoying after so long. All that said I still thoroughly enjoyed driving "Ginger", the (red) FR-S, and it's stoutness, boxer engine, handling, etc. will always be stuff of special memories.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
A friend of mine just bought 2018 BRZ. The interior quality seems better at least, but............... 80 miles on it and it went check engine light. Valves too tight. Been in the shop for just over two weeks now. They asked what kind of gas he put into it when he brought it in, and he told them he had no had it long enough to even put gas in it!.
Reading between the lines, I would interpret that to mean that his Subaru dealership put at least 5 gallons in it before the sale . . . .
      03-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
Andy0323
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuz10n View Post
I traded in my FR-S for an M2 on Wednesday, here are a few things I've noticed. Note - both cars have a manual transmission and are completely stock (save for a couple cosmetic upgrades on the M2). M2 has exec package and moonroof.

The suspension is much more smooth and DD friendly than the FR-S. Still feel the road and car intimately and am satisfied completely. I've read a lot of people say the suspension is too much but it feels just perfect IMO.

This is my first car with a turbo and WOW. I'm still breaking her in and haven't exceeded 5k RPM and am just floored at the feeling and sound of the turbo. So lovely. Even with the tires still <100 miles the rear end handles the power wonderfully.

Handling is superb. This is quite a bit taller of fa car, and while I hit the limit recently going around a turn and stability control saved me, I think this is due to the tires not being broken in. It was a heat of the moment thing not proud of it.

The placement of all of the interior controls are really placed with attention to detail. I'm still getting used to the window control location, but everything else just feels so natural. Everything feels very luxurious, especially compared to the FR-S. I've read complaints that the interior isn't that great but I really dig it. Maybe compared to other cars in this range it is lacking, but for me it's just grand. The features are very nice and aside from a few very minor glitches with iDrive working with Carplay I have no complaints. The auto headlights, climate control, heated seats, etc. all are really blowing me away. Seats are on another level of comfort.

Steering feels more artificial in the M2 than the FR-s, but it is still very nice. I test drove a 3-series and was disappointed in the steering, but the M2's steering is much more precise in comparison. The turning radius seems to be a bit less in the M2 than the FR-S as well, still getting used to that.

Stock exhaust is quite loud. Louder than I expected (but in a good way). It has a very mean, deep sound and have gotten compliments from a stranger already just while going to park at the store. The stock exhaust on the FR-S has a nice note but is extremely quiet in comparison.

I can't even imagine what this car does when it gets opened up all the way, I'm sure i'll be both terrified and delighted. Bonus pic attached (be gentle on the front license plate drilling).

Andrew
Thanks for the mini-review. Currently, I am driving a '13 BRZ and have been eyeing the used M2 market for awhile now. I just love the lightweight sports mantra, and hoping the M2 will fill the gap I've been wanting in the twins: torque.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #10
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Quote:

Andrew
Any chance you were the BSM on I-66E yesterday afternoon around 5pm????
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
fuz10n
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0323 View Post
Thanks for the mini-review. Currently, I am driving a '13 BRZ and have been eyeing the used M2 market for awhile now. I just love the lightweight sports mantra, and hoping the M2 will fill the gap I've been wanting in the twins: torque.
It's a totally different world of torque. Push the gas and it GOES. The handling is on-par with the BRZ too. You'll love it, do it!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
fuz10n
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post
Wasn't me... haven't taken it far outside of cville yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #13
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post
Wasn't me... haven't taken it far outside of cville yet.
Ahhh ok, there's two of us BSM's in south riding area. FB group for DMV m2's if you ever want to know about meet ups and what not.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Not even sure how you can compare these two cars TBH
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanLife View Post
I don't think it's a comparison as if someone were cross-shopping them as much as just, this is what I had, this is what I just bought, they're both enthusiast cars, here's my experience. For some of us, where the M2 is a massive upgrade, these comparisons are interesting because they highlight how much fun it is to jump to a whole new level of car.
Appreciate 1
fuz10n23.50
      03-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #16
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 & 19 Sentra

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanLife View Post
Good point. But my criteria - new, front engine, RWD, manual, 50/50 FR balance. Not many cars fit the bill. Power-wise, I wasn't too concerned, my winter car puts down pretty good power. In my case, it was either get the BRZ / Miata without any financial impact and modify as my heart desired, or stretch myself almost to the limit and get the M2, and keep stock (relatively). I'll fall back on the BRZ / Miata if the M2 proves to be a maintenance hog.

OP, good review, and congrats on the purchase!

S

Last edited by gandapanda; 03-19-2018 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #17
ilvtofu
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0323 View Post
From a pure driver's car perspective the BRZ is quite a bit better in terms of steering feel, shifter feel, and seating position. It's not just a matter of torque in the 86 though, the engine just feels uninspired in stock/bolt on form (especially with the torque dip).
I've owned Miatas for almost a decade now and have tracked/autox'ed a handful of 86 as well. After taking my M2 to autox a few weeks ago, I probably wouldn't classify it as light weight or tossable, at least not in the same respect as the Miata. Instead you get a reassuring and planted feel but can still play with the throttle to tweak your line. The steering response is not as good but you get it back in throttle control with the M2 (because of how much more of a power band you get to work with).
Both very rewarding cars to drive fast but it's a different flavour IMO.
      03-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #18
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

How would you compare the sheer size of the M2 vs the FRS? The M2 is a much bigger, heavier car.

The interior quality is all relative. Compared to an FRS, it's luxurious. Most of the guys on here are comparing it to the M3/M4, where the gap is like FRS to M2.

I agree, if the FRS/BRZ had about 275 HP and better quality interior, it would really be in a league of it's own in terms of being an affordable sports car.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #19
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
How would you compare the sheer size of the M2 vs the FRS? The M2 is a much bigger, heavier car.

The interior quality is all relative. Compared to an FRS, it's luxurious. Most of the guys on here are comparing it to the M3/M4, where the gap is like FRS to M2.

I agree, if the FRS/BRZ had about 275 HP and better quality interior, it would really be in a league of it's own in terms of being an affordable sports car.
No, the comparison of interiors is not like M2 vs M3/M4.

It is more like a base Chevy Aveo or an old Yugo, and an entry level luxury car, the latter being what the M2 really is. But all these labels are moving targets, and if you went back 15 years and looked at upper end BMWs, the M2 is nicer.

Unless something has seriously improved in the interior of the BRZ from 2013 to the present, you have to see how bad it is to believe it; it's truly tacky and incredibly cheap inside.
      03-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #20
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Note that a fairly significant portion of the noise you are hearing is actually coming from the speakers. Seriously. I was pretty surprised after I coded off the stupid ASD how much of the noise is only coming from inside the car.

I turned off the ASD, and now I'm adding a louder catback to the car...
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 03-22-2018 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing your thoughts

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #22
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Nice man, I too came from a GT86

If you code in the M4GTS or F87CS steering I think you'll find it a bit closer to the BRZ/FRS steering feel.

This car definetly retains the magic of a LW shortwheel base sports coupe. Definitely get the M Performance shifter too, much better