BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Winter storage - Do's and Dont's

01-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #45
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
Q
Edit: I looked quick on Realoem and it appears as if the M2 has an AGM battery, so I'd use the snowflake mode regardless of temperature, so it seems. Can anyone confirm? I'm probably going to throw it on the charger here in the next few days as it looks like its going to get pretty cold.
That is correct - use the snowflake for an AGM battery.
About to purchase this device...

What does AGM mean?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #46
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post

What does AGM mean?
Absorbent Glass Mat
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #47
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMF87 View Post
Quote:

What does AGM mean?
Absorbent Glass Mat
That's not Necessary is it
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #48
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not necessary but I would just go for the c-tek since its not that expensive and will last a long time, I've had mine for over 10 years with no problems
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #49
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMF87 View Post
Quote:
Not necessary but I would just go for the c-tek since its not that expensive and will last a long time, I've had mine for over 10 years with no problems
I just ordered it from Amazon plus the direct wire connector and rubber jacket.

Not driving my car for 5-6 days it's a must.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #50
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Deltran works fine too, lasts for many years, and you can buy them at Costco occasionally, plus ebay sellers frequently have them for $40 or less, delivered.

I have on occasion forgotten that I had one attached and driven off, immediately realizing that I had ruined the thing. It hurts less to do that to a $35 or $40 thing :-)
      01-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #51
bjstoner
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Just thought I would add another option to keep rodents at bay. I have typically used moth balls but they stink. My mechanic who lives on a farm told me he has been using bars of Irish Spring soap for the last 20 years in his cars, garages and motor homes and has never had a mice issue yet. He said to just cut the soap like into slices like you are cutting bread. Apparently mice and other rodents hate a clean smell. If you live somewhere warm just be careful since the soap can melt if it gets too hot.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #52
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Deltran works fine too, lasts for many years, and you can buy them at Costco occasionally, plus ebay sellers frequently have them for $40 or less, delivered.

I have on occasion forgotten that I had one attached and driven off, immediately realizing that I had ruined the thing. It hurts less to do that to a $35 or $40 thing :-)
This is my solution to making sure that never happens....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #53
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Quote:

I started with that, then putting the charger storage box in the front seat, then finally realized I could just rely on the hood open warning
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #54
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some of the float chargers have plastic cases; I've never backed out over one of those, however I have made this unfortunate mistake twice now with the metal ones. They have no structural strength and come out almost completely flat before you realize what you did! Also, the wiring doesn't do too well, either :-)

I should ad that I have a lot of cars and habitually plug my cars into these things all of the time when I'm not driving them or at least overnight, since (especially in the summer) I might drive a car one day and not get back to it for a week or even a month. These things don't have very long cords, which makes it hard not to position them in a way that you just end up backing out over them.

I do think that using these things regularly will greatly extend the life of your car battery; 6 years would not surprise me.
      01-24-2018, 08:45 AM   #55
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjstoner View Post
Just thought I would add another option to keep rodents at bay. I have typically used moth balls but they stink. My mechanic who lives on a farm told me he has been using bars of Irish Spring soap for the last 20 years in his cars, garages and motor homes and has never had a mice issue yet. He said to just cut the soap like into slices like you are cutting bread. Apparently mice and other rodents hate a clean smell. If you live somewhere warm just be careful since the soap can melt if it gets too hot.
This also works for deer and when they try to enjoy your shrubs.

Quote:
I just ordered it from Amazon plus the direct wire connector and rubber jacket.

Not driving my car for 5-6 days it's a must.
You can go at least 3-4 weeks without needing a battery tender, but probably more. I parked my car from 20DEC to 14JAN when it was in the teens and it fired up like it would if I drove it every day.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #56
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
This also works for deer and when they try to enjoy your shrubs.

You can go at least 3-4 weeks without needing a battery tender, but probably more. I parked my car from 20DEC to 14JAN when it was in the teens and it fired up like it would if I drove it every day.
This is going to depend on the car, the battery, and the age/condition of the battery. I would not leave a car sitting without being on a tender for 3-4 weeks, personally. If you run the battery down to zero, you are very likely going to need to buy a new battery, and they ain't cheap.
      01-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #57
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Am I the only one that doesn't have a dead battery issue? My car has sat for 3 months in my garage, and it fired up no problems the other day. Battery voltage was still good at 11.9 before starting
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #58
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Quote:

I just put the Deltran Battery Tender plastic packaging I keep it in on the drivers seat. I don't forget we're I left the box.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #59
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

Winter storage?? This car is great in the snowy elements with dedicated winter tires!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #60
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't have a dead battery issue? My car has sat for 3 months in my garage, and it fired up no problems the other day. Battery voltage was still good at 11.9 before starting
Not having my M2 yet, I can't comment on the current draw when the car sits for long periods. All modern cars do have electronics that don't rest even when the car is just sitting. Batteries based on lead acid chemistry last for varying periods of time based upon their quality and how they are used. Keeping them as fully charged as possible while not over-charging them is felt to be a way to wring out the longest lifespan possible out of these batteries. Lead acid batteries do not have a memory effect, however they generally will never recover, certainly they won't recover completely, when they are run down to zero.

What you got away with on a battery that is only a year or two old, may not be something you can get away with when the battery is older. And it is a good data point to know that the current draw on this car, at least on your car, is not so much that 3 months sitting without use when the battery is relatively new, will not result in the battery's demise. What we can't know from what you have observed is whether the long term lifespan of your battery has been adversely effected.

I tend to leave my cars on a float charger all of the time, unless I know I will be using that car within a day. I don't know that this extends battery lifespan, but I can't see where it would hurt.
      01-31-2018, 12:17 PM   #61
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Yeah... no
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #62
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Mine has been sitting since early Nov, fired it up a couple of days ago with no problems
Appreciate 1
Twix652.50
      07-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #63
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Isn't it just fine just to unplug the battery instead of connecting a charger?
Did this on my 335 e92 and had no problems.
Also, fuel stabilizer and topping the tank? Never did this either and no problems there either, always used V-power though..

Had the 335 for 12 years and it was in great condition when traded in for an M2. Just occasionally drove it around in the garage for a few minutes to get it warm and making the tires shift resting spot. Never ever drove it in the snow...
Appreciate 0