BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > G series rear view mirror DIY - fantastic upgrade

05-23-2022, 03:05 AM   #23
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I've done a "plug-and-play" retrofit by ordering part number: 51162471107.

All works well, but the car / ISTA is now complaining about the following:
- D90D25 - Interior rear-view mirror: incorrect variant fitted
- D90D2d - Garage door opener: Unexpected LIN-slave.

The car didn't come with Homelink/garage door opener from factory, which may explain the error. Any idea how I can code this in? As mentioned, everything works as intended with the exception of that error code.

EDIT: I've found a potential solution:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=17

Last edited by squixs; 05-23-2022 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 04:15 AM   #24
agent_orange
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 X3 30d, 2021 F87 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
I've done a "plug-and-play" retrofit by ordering part number: 51162471107.

All works well, but the car / ISTA is now complaining about the following:
- D90D25 - Interior rear-view mirror: incorrect variant fitted
- D90D2d - Garage door opener: Unexpected LIN-slave.

The car didn't come with Homelink/garage door opener from factory, which may explain the error. Any idea how I can code this in? As mentioned, everything works as intended with the exception of that error code.

EDIT: I've found a potential solution:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=17
That LIN variant value in that F30 post is for F15 or F10 and doesn't exist for F20 FEM_BODY as used by F87.

Solution in this post:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=46
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 09:19 AM   #25
rcodea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C

To recap....I purchased 51169459440 from the G30, F90 M5, G31, G32, G11, G12 on ebay used for $150 shipped.

I received my mirror in the mail the other day and swapped it out this weekend. worked out well and no issues. Though the 4-pin connector and wiring is the same between these two mirrors, the cast aluminum mounting bracket is different, necessitating the change of the base use the trim around the mirror and forward camera....no way around this.

many photos attached, but hopefully this gives a bit of perspective and measurements. I especially like the "U" alarm indicator...doesnt seem to project as brightly. Before the dome always seemed to draw your eyes to the car in parking lots at night...'why is that car blinking?!'...vs now you dont notice it until you notice the car first.

The shape is better for my viewing....lower viewing area is wider.

Also noticed that the auto dimming seems to transition faster as well.

The Homelink buttons are also 'one touch' instead of the original 'press and hold'...but that my be operator error more than anything.

Only down side is the compass printout no longer is on the mirror. not an issue for me, but may be a desire for others.

Of note, you will have to reprogram the Homelink buttons....they transition with the mirror...an extra step that is not a huge issue.

This part number DOES NOT require coding....

~Ryan
Attached Images

Last edited by rcodea; 05-31-2022 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
TechE9219.50
      11-04-2022, 03:07 AM   #26
Kattanah
Petrol Head
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Current: F87 M2C, Jeep Wrangle

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Thank you to Matt Devo (wont let me tag him) for his post that inspired this video!

Hope everyone is having a great week, and I wanted to share my latest DIY!
If you haven't seen it yet, the new rear view mirror in the latest BMW G series models really is a dramatic improvement. It is wider, has an almost borderless design and is much thinner. To top it off, the homelink buttons are redesigned along with the LED dome (now gone) you see on the older mirrors!

Its a HUGE improvement both visually and functionally, and I knew I had to make the change! The mirrors new are rather pricey, but if you look around especially on Ebay or from wrecked models, you can find one much cheaper like I did.

The change is non destructive, so you could always change back if you leased your car, or wanted it back off, and really isn't hard to do.

All of the details are in the video, and this an easy change for HUGE benefit, especially in a car like the M2C with a really small mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Thank you to Matt Devo (wont let me tag him) for his post that inspired this video!

Hope everyone is having a great week, and I wanted to share my latest DIY!
If you haven't seen it yet, the new rear view mirror in the latest BMW G series models really is a dramatic improvement. It is wider, has an almost borderless design and is much thinner. To top it off, the homelink buttons are redesigned along with the LED dome (now gone) you see on the older mirrors!

Its a HUGE improvement both visually and functionally, and I knew I had to make the change! The mirrors new are rather pricey, but if you look around especially on Ebay or from wrecked models, you can find one much cheaper like I did.

The change is non destructive, so you could always change back if you leased your car, or wanted it back off, and really isn't hard to do.

All of the details are in the video, and this an easy change for HUGE benefit, especially in a car like the M2C with a really small mirror.

Thank you for your thorough and wonderful walkthrough video

To unpin the wires from the tabs of the new G series mirror, I had to damage the wire tabs to find space to work through it. Not a big hustle.. don't need them anyways

"not too little, not too much"
Appreciate 1