BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Are BMW deceiving us with the new M2 Competition ?

04-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #23
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
Competition???????

The seats are the same as a standard M4 not the same as competition pack, the comp wheels are extra.

So the question is

If you buy a standard M2C with the original wheels and the new seats what is competition about the car?

My answer is the badge and kick plates.
You talking mechanical changes, you seem to only mention visual changes.

S55 (more power, more robust engine, higher redline, closed deck)
Upgraded S55 cooling(air to water top mount, instead of air to air front mount)
New exhaust system
Chassis stiffening (carbon strutbrace, bulkhead brace)
Spring/damper tuning (lowered ride height 5mm)
Ball joint suspension
Electronic steering retuning
Stability control retuning
M1/M2 programmable buttons
Upgraded brakes (yes...an option)

Last edited by M3_WC; 04-23-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #24
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Yes more power, only because the n55 engine wouldn't meet Europes emissions. The same engine is in the standard M4,M4 comp. you opt for the comp pack on the M4 and you get the camp look. The new M2C you have to pay extra to make it look like a comp or have a standard M2C with a comp badge.

The M2C should come with the comp spec as standard ie wheels,comp seats and brakes
your issue is that the competition version only offers performance gains and nothing cosmetic? its a comp pack not cosmetic pack
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #25
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

I will decide once we know the price,spec and sound. I will never say neaver but from what I have seen I'm sticking with the original M2
      04-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #26
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They are not the same, the new seats in the M2C are standard M4 seats, comp seats are lighter and only come with the comp pack.
its the same seat but with a vertical cutout in the back. There is a massive difference between the current m2 seat and the standard m4 seat. one belongs in a M car, the other doesnt. very little difference between the standard m4 seat and the comp m4 seat.
Appreciate 1
M3_WC1040.00
      04-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #27
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post

New exhaust system
Ball joint suspension
if it has programmable buttons you would have to assume that the settings can be changed independently across engine, steering, suspension etc.

That would be a big upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #28
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Quote:

New exhaust system
Ball joint suspension
if it has programmable buttons you would have to assume that the settings can be changed independently across engine, steering, suspension etc.

That would be a big upgrade.
Yes, steering, throttle and transmission (DCT only) all can be changed individually as you can see in the official pics and the press release. M2C doesn't have adaptive suspension so you can't change the suspension settings.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #29
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
...one belongs in a M car, the other doesnt...

By that logic the seats in my e39 M5 are a disgrace.
      04-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #30
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I spoke with my sale guy and he said they will know the price and spec beginning of may.
Quote:
Yes more power, only because the n55 engine wouldn't meet Europes emissions. The same engine is in the standard M4,M4 comp. you opt for the comp pack on the M4 and you get the camp look. The new M2C you have to pay extra to make it look like a comp or have a standard M2C with a comp badge.

The M2C should come with the comp spec as standard ie wheels,comp seats and brakes
Pricing for UK has been posted on the forum.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...3&d=1524140894

UK gets sports seats, perforated leather, 788M wheels standard. Base OTR pricing is only going up 5%. Brakes are not standard, but the M4 Comp package doesn’t have a brake up grade either. So in conclusion the things you are complaining about are actually standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #31
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I don’t think there was anything deceptive about BMW’s switchover from the LCI to the Comp. The company did what it had to do to keep an unexpectedly popular model alive. However, BMW should have waited a year and announced the LCI with the S55 for 2019. That would have been a much more “natural” move in the marketplace and would have eliminated much of the whining.

And for the record, “Competition” is a terrible name for a model that’s not stripped, lightened, hardened and horsepowered for use first on the track and second on the street. This new version of the M2 may be updated and improved, but it will never live up to its name that promises a world-beater.
Appreciate 2
qnet676.00
Wilsm2187.50
      04-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #32
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
I don’t think there was anything deceptive about BMW’s switchover from the LCI to the Comp. The company did what it had to do to keep an unexpectedly popular model alive. However, BMW should have waited a year and announced the LCI with the S55 for 2019. That would have been a much more “natural” move in the marketplace and would have eliminated much of the whining.

And for the record, “Competition” is a terrible name for a model that’s not stripped, lightened, hardened and horsepowered for use first on the track and second on the street. This new version of the M2 may be updated and improved, but it will never live up to its name that promises a world-beater.
What do you know about the M2C that we don't know aside from the weight increase? How do you know it won't live up to its name? Have you driven one on the street or a track? You really think this car will handle and perform worse than outgoing M2 because it weighs 120lbs more? With the same mentality ZL1 1LE at 4000lbs or GT350R at 3700 lbs would be the worst high performance cars of all time but guess what? Not only they murder any BMW on track, they also run circles around many supercars as well. Saying it won't live up to its name while only having the extra weight as your basis and having not seen single review or driven the car yet just shows how biased you are. I'm still patiently waiting for reviews to drop before making any bold claims.
Appreciate 1
AlpsRider2857.50
      04-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #33
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
CSL could have been considered if "Coupé Sport Lumpetition" instead of "Coupé Sport Leichtbau".
      04-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #34
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Quote:
I spoke with my sale guy and he said they will know the price and spec beginning of may.
Quote:

Pricing for UK has been posted on the forum.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...8;d=1524140894

UK gets sports seats, perforated leather, 788M wheels standard. Base OTR pricing is only going up 5%. Brakes are not standard, but the M4 Comp package doesn't have a brake up grade either. So in conclusion the things you are complaining about are actually standard.
I'm not complaining and I believe the prices on the forum are true, but I want to here it from the horses mouth.

Im saying it would be nice to have the comp spec as standard and add the normal option as normal.
      04-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #35
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
they're making the best out of a bad situation (for them, not us)
Are you kidding me? You'll never see a bargain like this from BMW ever again. Had things gone BMW's way they would have only made a more powerful m2 in a much much much more expensive CS model.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #36
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
I don't think there was anything deceptive about BMW's switchover from the LCI to the Comp. The company did what it had to do to keep an unexpectedly popular model alive. However, BMW should have waited a year and announced the LCI with the S55 for 2019. That would have been a much more "natural" move in the marketplace and would have eliminated much of the whining.

And for the record, "Competition" is a terrible name for a model that's not stripped, lightened, hardened and horsepowered for use first on the track and second on the street. This new version of the M2 may be updated and improved, but it will never live up to its name that promises a world-beater.
What do you know about the M2C that we don't know aside from the weight increase? How do you know it won't live up to its name? Have you driven one on the street or a track? You really think this car will handle and perform worse than outgoing M2 because it weighs 120lbs more? With the same mentality ZL1 1LE at 4000lbs or GT350R at 3700 lbs would be the worst high performance cars of all time but guess what? Not only they murder any BMW on track, they also run circles around many supercars as well. Saying it won't live up to its name while only having the extra weight as your basis and having not seen single review or driven the car yet just shows how biased you are. I'm still patiently waiting for reviews to drop before making any bold claims.
That's not what he means. He's saying they should be doing things that make the car track focused with a name like Competition. Really the issue here is BMW is bad with names.
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1193.00
      04-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #37
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
That's not what he means. He's saying they should be doing things that make the car track focused with a name like Competition. Really the issue here is BMW is bad with names.
Hmm let's see.. As M3_WC mentioned above:

New exhaust system
Ball joint suspension
Upgraded brakes

So these are not improvements towards a more track focused car? Oh wait but it weighs 120lbs more so it's probably shit. BMW is giving us all these upgrades for almost the same price as the outgoing M2 and yet people still expect they should have added CF roof, hood, lighter fender etc. Well, that will come too but not at this price point. I think M2C will be a whole lot more track focused car than N55 M2 but as I said I'm still waiting for the reviews and track tests.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #38
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I have no idea how it will perform on the track (and it doesn't matter), but "Competition" is too grand a name for the next M2. It's not a hardcore Z/28, GT350R, ZL1 1LE, GT3 RS, etc. version of an M2 - it's just one step up from the first M2s and the LCI. It will be a street car that's trackable – and it may be the fastest M2 on the track, but it's not the ultimate track monster a vehicle with a name like Competition would promise.
Appreciate 2
DanG10444.00
qnet676.00
      04-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #39
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

New exhaust system
Ball joint suspension
Upgraded brakes

So these are not improvements towards a more track focused car? Oh wait but it weighs 120lbs more so it's probably shit. BMW is giving us all these upgrades for almost the same price as the outgoing M2 and yet people still expect they should have added CF roof, hood, lighter fender etc. Well, that will come too but not at this price point. I think M2C will be a whole lot more track focused car than N55 M2 but as I said I'm still waiting for the reviews and track tests.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #40
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:

New exhaust system
Ball joint suspension
Upgraded brakes

I never said the car's performance is not improved. If you want to know what should be done with a track focused car, go see what people have done to the M2 as a track car. Hint: There is an effort to reduce weight. And another thing, I'm not complaining with what they did with the car, I am saying it's named badly.

Last edited by akkando; 04-23-2018 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1193.00
      04-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #41
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

New exhaust system
Ball joint suspension
Upgraded brakes

I never said the car's performance is not improved. If you want to know what should be done with a track focused car, go see what people have done to the M2 as a track car. Hint: There is an effort to reduce weight. And another thing, I'm not complaining with what they did with the car, I am saying it's named badly.
Since when has BMW been using the "Competition" name for their hard core track cars? The name you guys are looking for is "CS", " GTS", or "CSL" not "Competition" IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #42
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Are you kidding me? You'll never see a bargain like this from BMW ever again. Had things gone BMW's way they would have only made a more powerful m2 in a much much much more expensive CS model.
Huh? Read my comment again
      04-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #43
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
Huh? Read my comment again
Who's the "us" in your comment? Customers for the M2C or previous M2 customers?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #44
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Will it come with water injection?
Appreciate 0