BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Am I the only person who ordered their M2 without parking sensors?

View Poll Results: Who ordered M2 with parking sensors
Yes 45 58.44%
No 32 41.56%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

02-22-2018, 04:07 AM   #23
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

there are very discreet aftermarket ones dont worry
Just dont try to install them yourself if ure not a pro
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #24
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
its not an option in Canada, it just comes with.
      02-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #25
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
there are very discreet aftermarket ones dont worry
Just dont try to install them yourself if ure not a pro
You got a link to one? Any discreet forward parking sensors available in aftermarket? I remember looking for some before I took delivery, but not having much luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 02:38 AM   #26
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
You don't have them in the front anyways..... I found out the hard way
Same here... I just barely tapped a painted cinderblock wall at work (long story, crappy pavement and my being accustomed to a car with a shorter nose came into play too). Now I have holes in my Xpel and a small divot in the bumper plastic from the crappy mortar job on the wall. I've never had a parking incident like this in any other car, either.

Not sure what the hell I want to do about it yet, and I wish the nose had parking sensors.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #27
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Same here... I just barely tapped a painted cinderblock wall at work (long story, crappy pavement and my being accustomed to a car with a shorter nose came into play too). Now I have holes in my Xpel and a small divot in the bumper plastic from the crappy mortar job on the wall. I've never had a parking incident like this in any other car, either.

Not sure what the hell I want to do about it yet, and I wish the nose had parking sensors.
How do you drive if you fail to see a wall (painted for your convenience!) right behind you nose? Do you have the "Front-end collision warning with City Braking function" at least?

Cars with a shorter nose are different in you can't actually see the nose and should control yourself to avoid closing beyond visibility in hope it'll be fine. But when you do see it won't (you do, don't you?), what's the issue then? (You don't hide from the wall behind the dashboard sitting just too low to see the bonnet I presume.)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #28
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post

My pet peeve is the front bumpers that seem intentionally designed to not be high enough to clear those concrete things that are often put in the front of parking spaces, especially in parking lots. It is often hard to avoid scraping the underside of the bumper (or bumper cover) on them.

What your post shows is the futility of trying to protect a vehicle against common hazards. If you go ahead and spend thousands on surface coverings (like Xpel) then you will almost certainly encounter a rock thrown up somewhere that breaks your windshield when you don't have full windshield coverage. Or, some asshole will put door dings into your car when you park in a parking lot.

Cars are exposed to a hazardous environment, and there are many hazards. Whatever you try to protect your highly valued car from *might* work, but then something else will come along and bite you or your car in the butt. It's like buying a Cancer insurance policy, but then you end up having a heart attack.

This is why I don't obsess about stuff like this. Shit happens, cars are to be driven. Keep it clean and put sealant on it occasionally. That's as far as I'm willing to go with these things.
      02-24-2018, 04:55 AM   #29
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
My pet peeve is the front bumpers that seem intentionally designed to not be high enough to clear those concrete things that are often put in the front of parking spaces, especially in parking lots. It is often hard to avoid scraping the underside of the bumper (or bumper cover) on them.
I know two kinds of those things: designed to put your wheels against to stand even (these are metal tubes usually - appropriately low even for the sport suspension) and those you are expected to stand clear off (concrete). I do distinguish. In the latter case I take the burden of stepping out to see if I need to move even closer. Frequently more than once. I'm just not too lazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #30
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Rant,

Why all the hate for a parking aids?

How do you feel about power windows? A/C? Cruise Control? Anti Lock brakes? Head lights? Turn signals?

I know you hate power seats!

What about Fuel injection? Variable Timing? Twin-scroll turbos?

If you need those then "you should not be driving?"

Parking sensors are practically a give-me these days, if your car does not have them then you got CHEATED! Every Toyota has them, from the bottom of their line up! I think most Honda's do too. So if your M2 came without them then WTH BMW!

PS, there is NO REASON why they have to have the little circles on the bumper, that is a "see my parking sensor" thing I think....sort of like the shape of a Prius....see me.....

By the way, how do you feel about rear window defrosters? Folding rear seats? Ash trays? XM radio? Navigation? Heater? Tinted windows? The glove box Light? Dome Light? All kind of expected in a car in 2018, kind of like PARKING SENSORS!

And all the purists who park without them, and ignore them in their cars which have them, good for you! But dam it they are HANDY!

End Rant.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      02-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #31
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Rant,

Why all the hate for a parking aids?

How do you feel about power windows? A/C? Cruise Control? Anti Lock brakes? Head lights? Turn signals?

I know you hate power seats!

What about Fuel injection? Variable Timing? Twin-scroll turbos?

If you need those then "you should not be driving?"

Parking sensors are practically a give-me these days, if your car does not have them then you got CHEATED! Every Toyota has them, from the bottom of their line up! I think most Honda's do too. So if your M2 came without them then WTH BMW!

PS, there is NO REASON why they have to have the little circles on the bumper, that is a "see my parking sensor" thing I think....sort of like the shape of a Prius....see me.....

By the way, how do you feel about rear window defrosters? Folding rear seats? Ash trays? XM radio? Navigation? Heater? Tinted windows? The glove box Light? Dome Light? All kind of expected in a car in 2018, kind of like PARKING SENSORS!

And all the purists who park without them, and ignore them in their cars which have them, good for you! But dam it they are HANDY!

End Rant.

Mike
This is a silly conflation of all sorts of things :-) You could use the same argument to say that there is no place for manual transmissions in modern cars, however a lot of people who want smallish sporty cars happen to want manuals.

I wouldn't mind if the M2 came with parking sensors in its base configuration. I would probably not pay for them as a line item upgrade unless they were really cheap, for this specific car, because it is small and visibility is good. My 135is convertible has really bad visibility rearward with the top up, and lacks both a backup camera and sensors. It definitely should have at least one or the other, but that is because you just can't see very well out of the back unless the top is down, which I see as a design defect. I don't have the same issue with the M2, because you can see in all directions if you look and use your mirrors.
      02-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #32
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

What your post shows is the futility of trying to protect a vehicle against common hazards. If you go ahead and spend thousands on surface coverings (like Xpel) then you will almost certainly encounter a rock thrown up somewhere that breaks your windshield when you don't have full windshield coverage. Or, some asshole will put door dings into your car when you park in a parking lot.

Cars are exposed to a hazardous environment, and there are many hazards. Whatever you try to protect your highly valued car from *might* work, but then something else will come along and bite you or your car in the butt. It's like buying a Cancer insurance policy, but then you end up having a heart attack.

This is why I don't obsess about stuff like this. Shit happens, cars are to be driven. Keep it clean and put sealant on it occasionally. That's as far as I'm willing to go with these things.
Agree totally with your post. But for the first point, this is why I back into a parking spot (not always an option, I know).

The worst is when you have to valet your car - I remind the attendant that the front is very low and to try and back in if its possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #33
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
This is a silly conflation of all sorts of things :-) You could use the same argument to say that there is no place for manual transmissions in modern cars, however a lot of people who want smallish sporty cars happen to want manuals.

I wouldn't mind if the M2 came with parking sensors in its base configuration. I would probably not pay for them as a line item upgrade unless they were really cheap, for this specific car, because it is small and visibility is good. My 135is convertible has really bad visibility rearward with the top up, and lacks both a backup camera and sensors. It definitely should have at least one or the other, but that is because you just can't see very well out of the back unless the top is down, which I see as a design defect. I don't have the same issue with the M2, because you can see in all directions if you look and use your mirrors.
I was just poking the skunk....LOL or bear, whichever wild animal you fear.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #34
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I built my car to be a stripper and saved money in the process. The sensor plugs are ugly and if a spot is so tight I need sensors or a camera, I go elsewhere. More often then not those instances are in the gf's car which has a camera and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #35
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
I built my car to be a stripper and saved money in the process. The sensor plugs are ugly and if a spot is so tight I need sensors or a camera, I go elsewhere. More often then not those instances are in the gf's car which has a camera and I love it.
Agree with you and moreso, if the spot is really tight, that is just asking for a door ding or other paint damage. Generally, where I live and drive my own cars, there isn't any super tight parking like that. When I go to visit family in San Diego, always renting an el cheapo POS at the airport, I encounter a few parking lots where the spaces are super tight. I wouldn't park a car I cared about in any of those lots. Since I don't give a shit about those rental cars (so long as the damage isn't enough to be noticed on returning the vehicle), I do park the rentals there.

I should add, that the rental cars I get stuck with these days already have a minimum of 20K miles on them, often over 30K, so they already have an assortment of minor body damage before I rent them. One of attendants at the SD Airport Hertz explained it to me this way, when I asked him why all the rentals I can choose from stink inside and have lots of miles. He said, "oh, you're just a gold member; all the new and good cars go to the 5-Star members." At least he was honest about it.
      02-26-2018, 11:28 PM   #36
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
How do you drive if you fail to see a wall (painted for your convenience!) right behind you nose? Do you have the "Front-end collision warning with City Braking function" at least?

Cars with a shorter nose are different in you can't actually see the nose and should control yourself to avoid closing beyond visibility in hope it'll be fine. But when you do see it won't (you do, don't you?), what's the issue then? (You don't hide from the wall behind the dashboard sitting just too low to see the bonnet I presume.)
I'm accustomed to a shorter-nosed car and I had a pretty good idea of where the nose "fell off" in those previous 2 cars (combined 9 years of driving, a lot of memory/habit). On this car, the whole nose is longer than I'm used to, so while it too falls off, I underestimated the length beyond the fall-off. I sit low enough that I can't fully see the end of the car.

I was also having to ride the clutch and power the car over a hump / wave in the pavement. This isn't a normal parking space; my office lot is too small for the number of people working there, so sometimes we have to get creative. I was trying to tuck the car tight to the wall to free up space if another car had to be near me, and also trying to keep the car away from an area of the lot where people often stand and smoke (really don't want that smell in my car). Combination of these issues plus being distracted by work caused me to just barely tap the wall.

Again, first time I've ever done this in ~20 years of driving... everybody makes a mistake from time to time. I'm just happy the damage wasn't worse, but now I have to decide if I want to bother fixing it or just live with it.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #37
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Quote:
My MG 2018 M2, to be delivered in a little less than a month, was ordered without any options whatsoever.

This was intentional.

As to parking sensors, my 1M, which doesn't need them has them, and my 135is convertible needs them and doesn't have them. I can't imagine that an M2 needs them, unless you are into electronic nannies, that is.
Me too, no options whatsoever. I also drive my M2 ALL the time in Sport + with DSC fully off.

BMW - are you listening? TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY!
      02-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #38
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
Me too, no options whatsoever. I also drive my M2 ALL the time in Sport + with DSC fully off.

BMW - are you listening? TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY!
I did order the upgraded front and side grills, which I will be installing myself, plus all weather front floor mats and a trunk mat, from Brian at Sun Motors. But that is all I intend to do with this vehicle, other than keep it clean and put a coat of sealant on it every now and again.
      02-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #39
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Quote:
One of attendants at the SD Airport Hertz explained it to me this way, when I asked him why all the rentals I can choose from stink inside and have lots of miles. He said, "oh, you're just a gold member; all the new and good cars go to the 5-Star members." At least he was honest about it.
Reminds me of a line from Seinfeld...

After the car rental agency messes up his reservation, and didn't hold a mid sized car for Jerry, they give him the keys to his "compact" loaner, and ask him if he'd like insurance with the car.....

"Yeah... better give me the insurance. I'm gonna beat the sh*t out of this thing"....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #40
bluescoupe
motorhead
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Mine is a 6MT, non exec package. Got a good deal and don't really miss the other perks. If it had 'em, I'd be fine, but I'm also fine without them.
Its got the important stuff that I wanted!
Appreciate 0