BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > How much will the M2 Competition cost? (base price without options)

View Poll Results: How much will the CS cost? (base price without options)
Between $65K and $80K 205 79.46%
Between $80K and $95K 50 19.38%
Between $95K and $110K 3 1.16%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

09-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #45
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
ynguldyn mentioned the base M2 will end production on June 2018. The replacement should be closer to the base m2 price.
Is ynguldyn a BMW employee in the know? There is a lot of talk of the CS being the new base M2, if that is the case then this entire thread is pointless and we are ALL wrong.

The thread should be called how much will the 2019 M2 cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #46
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
Is ynguldyn a BMW employee in the know?
Nobody has any idea.
Appreciate 2
AngryBaby344.50
StephGOD218.50
      09-27-2017, 01:33 PM   #47
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Nobody has any idea.
Some of us might.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #48
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
I didnt make the rules or market vehicles. BMW did that. So not to include the PE is ignorant. Its just like the Comp pack M4. BMW markets the PE and Comp M4 a step below the CS models, that is fact. If that changes then they are going against their own marketing.
Like I said before, the PE was not priced or developed by BMW AG, solely BMW NA. Pricing will start in Germany where the PE does not exist. If the CS is priced near or below the M4 in Germany, it will also be priced accordingly in the US. The M2 is the saving grace for BMW among enthusiasts right now. I do not think they want another poor showing of an overpriced car (see M4 GTS, the most track focused top of the line M product, getting spanked on track by mustangs and camaros at half the price). Also have to take into consideration German competitors like the TT-RS which has similar specs, special engine, better interior with full digital dash, and DCT standard coming in <$65K. Especially if the base M2 will no longer be produced.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #49
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Some of us might.
And that is how rumors start...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #50
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
And that is how rumors start...
possibly maybe
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      09-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #51
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
Like I said before, the PE was not priced or developed by BMW AG, solely BMW NA. Pricing will start in Germany where the PE does not exist. If the CS is priced near or below the M4 in Germany, it will also be priced accordingly in the US. The M2 is the saving grace for BMW among enthusiasts right now. I do not think they want another poor showing of an overpriced car (see M4 GTS, the most track focused top of the line M product, getting spanked on track by mustangs and camaros at half the price). Also have to take into consideration German competitors like the TT-RS which has similar specs, special engine, better interior with full digital dash, and DCT standard coming in <$65K. Especially if the base M2 will no longer be produced.
If the base M2 is being replaced by this then its a moot conversation. Nothing in this thread applies. We start from square one. I will be the first to say if thats the case then $65k is easily plausible, possibly even less.

In any case, it will probably not be called the CS, it will just be called the M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #52
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Cayman GT4 MSRP: $84,600
Base 911 MSRP: $89,400

Now the GT4 RS may be another story... but that is unsubstantiated speculation
thank you
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #53
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Reposting a couple of my earlier posts about the "M2 Competition" price-point topic.

When read in the light of the recently leaked USA-spec "M2 Competition" VINs revealing a long options list, it seems that I was rather 'spot on' than 'off base'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
About price-point speculation: to me it seems that all depends on what total package you expect to get for the M2 CS base price. So please specify in your comments what will feature on the car for your price-guesstimates. Otherwise we're all talking at different frequencies: noise.

If BMW goes for a 'stock loaded' strategy (all bells 'n whistles as stock), the car will undoutebtedly have a cool set-up, but the M2 CS base price may penetrate very deep inside M3/M4 price-point territory + Hobson's Choice (a free choice in which only one thing is offered. Because a person may refuse to accept what is offered, the two options are taking it or taking nothing. In other words, one may "take it or leave it". The phrase is said to have originated with Thomas Hobson (1544–1631), a livery stable owner in Cambridge, England, who offered customers the choice of either taking the horse in his stall nearest to the door or taking none at all).

If, on the other hand, BMW applies the Porsche 'à la carte' approach, requiring to pay for spicy extras, the M2 CS base price could be kept pretty competitive. But then the M2 CS with zero options (a so-called 'stripper') risks to be quite similar to the base M2 (except for the S55 engine of course, a few colors and maybe some tweaks here and there currently covered by camouflage) + all base M2 creature comfort options could be stashed inside the M2 CS options list accompanied by a couple of more track-oriented goodies (uprated wheels/brakes/seats, etc.). More choice to personalize, from sober till full-blown.

So what do you reckon would be the best strategy for the M2 CS: 'stock loaded', 'à la carte' or something in-between ?

Personally I think that the M4 CS may lead the way as tell-tale sign for the M2 CS.

And about the transmission discussion: it has been discussed to death that BMW could make all car aficionados happy by offering both M-DCT and 6MT for the M2 CS. In a January 2017 interview BMW boss Frank Van Meel seemed to suggest that BMW had captured that enthusiasts vibe (here). Let's not give up hope.
Quote:
Let's tackle the track goodies and transmission conundrum with a bit of logical reasoning.

First imagine how you think BMW will position/market the M2 CS and its expected main use by target customers: daily driver ? mainly (extra) urban ? mainly track ? or a mix of all that ? Don't confuse 'versatile' with 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Subsequently, do the same exercise with the base M2 and compare your answers (whilst keeping in mind about the base M2 that "every adventure requires a first step"). Then ask yourself: would it make sense that BMW offers more choice this time around ? Maybe asking yourself that question, is already answering it.

Although in the end BMW could prove us all wrong, I trust that they will walk the smart road by offering choices, as this may offer an advantage over the competition, garner interest of a broad market of potential customers and allow to keep the base price (zero options) attractive. Let's face it: Porsche brilliantly masters the highly profitable 'à la carte' (personalization) success formula: your wish is our command. This may inspire BMW as well (of course to the extent that it's compatible with production facility possibilities and, probably, the M3/M4 hierarchy).
Quote:
Commented earlier (see posts #591 and #694 in the other dedicated M2 CS thread) that I trust that BMW M will walk the smart road by offering choices (transmission, brakes, wheels, seats, etc.: standard versus optional), as this may offer an advantage over the competition, garner interest of a broad market of potential customers and allow to keep the M2 CS base price (zero options) attractive.

If BMW M wouldn't do that, it would IMHO miss a golden opportunity in many ways.

And remember about the bigger brother M4 CS: "not a limited series, just limited by production capacity" confirmed BMW M CEO Frank Van Meel in May 2017 (source: here - in the same interview he also confirmed that the production volume of the base M2 will be increased). IMHO it makes sense to expect to hear that same phrase again at the future M2 CS launch.

Quote:
No idea about pricing yet, but don't forget the 'à la carte' approach of making the more track-oriented goodies optional (think for example one-piece seats, bigger brakes, lightweight wheels, delimited V-max), allowing to keep the M2 CS base price attractive. Don't expect all that to be standard features. IMHO that would make sense as strategy to position the M2 CS in the ///M model line-up.

When loaded with options:
  • tick all boxes of the base M2 options list and you're still approximately at the lowest end of the M3/M4 price range;
  • do the same with the M2 CS options list, and you'll end up deep into the M3/M4 price range.
      09-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #54
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

$62,995
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
StephGOD218.50
      09-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #55
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
If the base M2 is being replaced by this then its a moot conversation. Nothing in this thread applies. We start from square one. I will be the first to say if thats the case then $65k is easily plausible, possibly even less.
Poll was started before replacement [theory/fact?] came into play. Agree that upsets things a bit. Start over? New poll? Let it be?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #56
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Poll was started before replacement [theory/fact?] came into play. Agree that upsets things a bit. Start over? New poll? Let it be?
Seems like we need to wait until official word that this replaces the base M2. In any case this poll was useless in any conversation.

If the competition/CS M2 is replacing the base M2 then the poll numbers have to come down, waaay down. And really this thread should just be deleted.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #57
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Is ynguldyn a BMW employee in the know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Nobody has any idea.
importriders, he also could have answered:
"You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human.
Ergo, some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not.
Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also irrelevant."

09-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #58
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
importriders, he also could have answered:
"You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human.
Ergo, some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not.
Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also irrelevant."
This is exactly what I would've said if I had known all these big words.
Appreciate 2
Artemis28911.50
StephGOD218.50
      09-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #59
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Seems like we need to wait until official word that this replaces the base M2. In any case this poll was useless in any conversation.

If the competition/CS M2 is replacing the base M2 then the poll numbers have to come down, waaay down. And really this thread should just be deleted.
Maybe skewed, but not useless. If nothing else we now know that the current base M2 may go away and be replaced by the CS.

On that note, is the M4 CS replacing the base?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #60
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Maybe skewed, but not useless. If nothing else we now know that the current base M2 may go away and be replaced by the CS.

On that note, is the M4 CS replacing the base?
No,M4 CS is not replacing the base M4.
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50
      09-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #61
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

US BASE: $59,900 + D&H (Manual)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #62
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Like I said before, the PE was not priced or developed by BMW AG, solely BMW NA. Pricing will start in Germany where the PE does not exist. If the CS is priced near or below the M4 in Germany, it will also be priced accordingly in the US.
Fair enough, but the PE was mostly just packaging a bunch of add ons that would likely be part of a CS. Let's add it up then: base M2 (2019 pricing) + S55 + M coilover suspension + M performance exhaust + upgraded brakes? + CF goodies + CS bodywork + Cup 2 tires + what else? upgraded front seats? CF driveshaft? HUD?

Seems to add up to north of $70K before you even get to the "what else" list. Maybe can keep it to $70K if they offer a la carte pricing and you delete some of the extras on the base M2 (power seats, nav).

Then BMW has to decide to not ask a premium on a car they know will pre-sell as many as they can make.

I stand by my $75K plus any mfg premium.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #63
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Easy answer.....

More than the M2 costs now...

I know it is difficult, but just sit down and wait for the reveal

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #64
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

M2 is already not a high margin car, how is everyone saying the price is only going up 5-10k with all these added features?
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #65
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
I would have checked 60K USD to 70K USD. This is based on comparing standard M3/M4 to the proposed M2 CS.

Let's wait and watch.
Me too. $60-70k seems more realistic.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #66
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

I voted the lowest but it is till too high. It will not cost more than a base M4 just like the GT4 will not cost more than a base 911 even if the cost is higher for the manufacture. The thought of having a lower model costing more than the higher model is admitting M2 is better than the M4. It will hurt sales and Porsche had been doing these special cars for decades and manufacture will follow based on their success in marketing these lower volume vehicles.

Besides the base m4 has everything and more than the M2CS. For the M2CS to cost more it must have more HP or something more than the base M4.
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c782.50