BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Drivetrain Malfunction

10-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #23
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

The issue was that the car had a driveline error code and went into limp mode....this happened during high speed driving with less than half a tank. I stopped and let the car sit, restarted and it returned to normal, but I sent the error code to BMW and had it checked at the dealer. As far as the repair, it looks like they replaced the low pressure fuel pump and module...problem has not repeated itself since.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #24
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Sorry some of that is cut off. What was your issue and fix? EKPS module (no idea what that is) was replaced, and that fixed voltage problem to the low pressure fuel pump?
I have not been back to the dealer yet. BUT it happened again on Friday, 4th gear moderate acceleration from 80-100mph, around 1/2 tank.

So are you telling me that you were getting "Drivetrain Malfunction" warnings and the dealer did this fuel pump test and came up with a EKTS issue?

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #25
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I had this issue and thought it was fuel related so:
Attachment 1705702
Can you email me a copy of this to show my dealer? That would be awesome. Please send it to droplinkitr@hotmail.com

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #26
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Can you email me a copy of this to show my dealer? That would be awesome. Please send it to droplinkitr@hotmail.com
Sent it in large format so nothing is cut off....hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #27
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
Sent it in large format so nothing is cut off....hope it helps.

Got it, thanks again. This is seriously frustrating. I just filled my car up and am going to try and recreate the scenario again and see if it doesn't, and then wait till I have less than half a tank and try it again and see if it does. It has happened to m 3 times, the first time I don't know the fuel level, but the other two times it was at a half or less. This was only happening to you when you had less than half a tank? So you have not had this issue since they changed the EKPS module? It says that the voltage to the fuel pump was low, I am guessing that is controlled by the EKPS module. Much appreciated.

Justin

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #28
VegasM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB/Manual/Exc.

Ive also experienced the drivetrain malfunction and Im hoping Ive found the solution. I went to my local BMW shop here in Las Vegas, Southwest Bimmers to see if they would update my car with PUMA update that was previously mentioned and they told me they didnt feel comfortable until the other codes were resolved blah blah. But they did pull up an update from BMW that so far seems to have fixed my issue. Took the update they found (pic below) to my local BMW dealer and they updated my car w the latest software. I have not had a drivetrain malfunction since but Ill be sure to keep you guys posted. FYI my car has a fabspeed 200 cell HFC, Dinan Stage 1 software, and the Dinan LPFP upgrade kit. Before the update my car had the xxx-...502 software. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

10-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #29
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasM2 View Post
Ive also experienced the drivetrain malfunction and Im hoping Ive found the solution. I went to my local BMW shop here in Las Vegas, Southwest Bimmers to see if they would update my car with PUMA update that was previously mentioned and they told me they didnt feel comfortable until the other codes were resolved blah blah. But they did pull up an update from BMW that so far seems to have fixed my issue. Took the update they found (pic below) to my local BMW dealer and they updated my car w the latest software. I have not had a drivetrain malfunction since but Ill be sure to keep you guys posted. FYI my car has a fabspeed 200 cell HFC, Dinan Stage 1 software, and the Dinan LPFP upgrade kit. Before the update my car had the xxx-...502 software. Hope this helps.

Well I am glad and not glad that it just me. Thank you so much for this, and info I can bring to my dealer the better. Much appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #30
JeffM2PRDallas
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

HFC could cause this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #31
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

Guys I put in an jb4 and I'm always getting a drivetrain malfunction and the codes say fuel pump can anyone please help with This I'm pissed idk if I should go to the dealer or spend extra on unograde fuel pump it's annoying it's always going into this drivetrain error
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #32
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46 View Post
Guys I put in an jb4 and I'm always getting a drivetrain malfunction and the codes say fuel pump can anyone please help with This I'm pissed idk if I should go to the dealer or spend extra on unograde fuel pump it's annoying it's always going into this drivetrain error
JB4 is known for crashing the HPFP above Map 1 if your fuel isn't the greatest. The M2's HPFP maxes itself out when trying to demand that much boost. This is why the JB4 isn't exactly the best "plug n play" solution for the M2 - a back end flash would be a lot better if you're planning on just running pump fuel. The back end flash can not only increase boost but also influence timing and fueling to dial in a nice and "balanced" tune that doesn't upset the HPFP.

I have a JB4 installed, running 94 Octane + 50/50 WMI, and am running Map 3 with a Boost Additive of 70 no problem. I went through a couple revisions with Terry from BMS to dial it in.

No idea what the gains above my baseline are just yet, but the car pulls really damn hard with this setup. I'm going to be installing a downpipe this weekend and re-dyno the following week.

Last edited by Endeav; 10-18-2017 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #33
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep

What do you recommend I should do? Do I get an upgraded fuel pump? I plan to run e85

I'm on a budget so idk if a tune is the right way and which tune to go to its just frustrating that it happens to me a lot
What do you think
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #34
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46 View Post
What do you recommend I should do? Do I get an upgraded fuel pump? I plan to run e85

I'm on a budget so idk if a tune is the right way and which tune to go to its just frustrating that it happens to me a lot
What do you think
Unfortunately an upgraded LOW-pressure fuel pump (LPFP) won't solve your problem. You'd need something to supplement the HIGH-pressure fuel pump (HPFP) which... unfortunately there isn't a direct replacement for. Thankfully there are aftermarket solutions which help supplement and take the load off the HPFP to prevent it from crashing.

You have two options...
1) Water-Methanol Injection - Nozzle that sprays into the charge pipe pre-throttle body (most common location). This mix takes some load off the HPFP and provides additional cooling to the charge air temperatures.
2) Port Injection - Basically a spacer that sits in between the intake manifold and the head that has a spot for 6 additional injectors - again taking the load off the HPFP.

If you're planning on running E85, especially higher concentrations of ethanol, I would personally go the port injection route. Fuel-It makes great kits that integrate quite well with the JB4 and are ethanol compatible. To go this route you'll need their Stage 2 LPFP and a Port-Injection kit. They have plenty of videos on their youtube on the install for both of these products. I'll probably be going this route should I ever decide to upgrade the turbo on the M2
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #35
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't s lee myself upgrading my turbo soon
U think I should ditch the jb4 and go to rk tunes or frank smith or get a back end flash tune ? I fee like our cars aren't good for tuning potential makes me 2nd guess if I chose the right car or if I should have gotten a Bolt on e92 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #36
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
So I know that this has been covered before and I have read the posts, but I have been getting them. It typically happens at about 120mph in, I think in 4th gear. It has already been to the dealer, they say that when they scan the car they can see the malfunction registered but they don't know why. I told them about what I read on the fourms about software updates and even showed him the posts but he had no real answers for me , except this..... I have the exhaust valve bypass installed and they told me that they have seen this cause the problem before and I should take it out. The main problem is that the problem is not easily repeatable. Meaning I can not get it to do it specifically. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it won't. I will take it out but I cant see how this can cause a drivetrain malfunction. The only other mods are the FabSpeed HFC and Dinan resonator delete. Nothing to the computer. Any help would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasM2 View Post
Could be purely coincidental but the common factor here was a high flow cat.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #37
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimma View Post
Could be purely coincidental but the common factor here was a high flow cat.
Yes, but this is also a known occurrence on completely stock cars.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #38
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but this is also a known occurrence on completely stock cars.
Any more references on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #39
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Any more references on this?
I will try and find it but there was a video that someone posted where it happened to them while they were on the track. And there was a previous post about this.

EDIT: Found another post about it, but it is with modded cars as well, I'll keep looking.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1380389

EDIT2: Another with stock cars

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2#post21626632

EDIT3: Track Video

Last edited by twin fed; 10-19-2017 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      10-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #40
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I will try and find it but there was a video that someone posted where it happened to them while they were on the track. And there was a previous post about this.

EDIT: Found another post about it, but it is with modded cars as well, I'll keep looking.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1380389

EDIT2: Another with stock cars

EDIT3: Track Video

Wow thanks for the detailed response with all the posts. Reading through them it appears that they are all (almost?) 2016's having this issue and that it may have been remedied by this PUMA software update by the dealer. Like you said, there were a few people without aftermarket DP/exhaust on MY2016's having the issue too. Given that we haven't had a bunch of complaints about DPs in the 17's/18's, I'd wager this has been taken care of in the non-2016's with updated software but who knows. Sounds like it could be fueling related too.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #41
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Wow thanks for the detailed response with all the posts. Reading through them it appears that they are all (almost?) 2016's having this issue and that it may have been remedied by this PUMA software update by the dealer. Like you said, there were a few people without aftermarket DP/exhaust on MY2016's having the issue too. Given that we haven't had a bunch of complaints about DPs in the 17's/18's, I'd wager this has been taken care of in the non-2016's with updated software but who knows. Sounds like it could be fueling related too.

Thanks. This is what I am hoping. My car is going back to the dealer on Tuesday and I am going to bring them all the info that I have been collecting and hopefully they will get this figured out. It is very frustrating.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #42
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Car is back at the dealer now. I gave my SA all the info I had but he kind of blows it off. They better figure something out or I will pull my car out of there so fast.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #43
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Car is back at the dealer now. I gave my SA all the info I had but he kind of blows it off. They better figure something out or I will pull my car out of there so fast.
Blow off? LOL #otherdealer

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #44
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Got my car back yesterday and they updated the ilevel to F020-17-07-507. So we will see what happens. I also convinced them to change the backing plates in the rear.

Appreciate 0