BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE v Stock exhaust

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the MPE or stock exhaust?
MPE, and I've heard both in real life 66 55.93%
Stock, and I've heard both in real life 19 16.10%
MPE, though I've heard at least one of the two in videos only 16 13.56%
Stock, though I've heard at least one of the two in videos only 17 14.41%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

09-03-2017, 03:51 AM   #1
Xtianh
LA transplant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 MG

Question MPE v Stock exhaust

I'm a week 37 and am scheduled to hit production any day now. The only option I wasn't 100% sure on was whether I wanted the MPE or not. From what I've read on these forums, opinions are mixed, though the general consensus is that the MPE is $3k for a change in sound but no added performance, so I didn't think it was for me. Nonetheless, I needed to make sure I wouldn't regret not getting It, so Today I visited a couple dealers and listened to an M2 with a stock exhaust and an M2 with an MPE. I was expecting to like the MPE more, but not $3k more....

But guess what?

I liked the sound of the stock exhaust more. The MPE is certainly louder, but I heard more of the sexy pops and burbles out of the stock. I thought the regular exhaust had a deeper sound, albeit not as loud. But the type of sound is more important to me than the loudness. The stock exhaust just sounded more natural, more smooth mean than tryhard mean. Does anyone else feel the same about the stock v MPE?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I compaired the exhausts mainly in Regular Sport mode.

Last edited by Xtianh; 09-03-2017 at 04:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
soco352
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (On Order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtianh View Post
I'm a week 37 and am scheduled to hit production any day now. The only option I wasn't 100% sure on was whether I wanted the MPE or not. From what I've read on these forums, opinions are mixed, though the general consensus is that the MPE is $3k for a change in sound but no added performance, so I didn't think it was for me. Nonetheless, I needed to make sure I wouldn't regret not getting It, so Today I visited a couple dealers and listened to an M2 with a stock exhaust and an M2 with an MPE. I was expecting to like the MPE more, but not $3k more....

But guess what?

I liked the sound of the stock exhaust more. The MPE is certainly louder, but I heard more of the sexy pops and burbles out of the stock. I thought the regular exhaust had a deeper sound, albeit not as loud. But the type of sound is more important to me than the loudness. The stock exhaust just sounded more natural, more smooth mean than tryhard mean. Does anyone else feel the same about the stock v MPE?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I compaired the exhausts mainly in Regular Sport mode.
This pretty much sums up my opinion as well. You get the MPE for a louder sound but the stock is damn good. Don't really think you can go wrong either way.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
M2018
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Just wondering, is it better off investing $3K in a better sound system including a gigantic boom box instead. You can turn the ASD up as loud as you want and blow everybody away...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
Luyi_pr
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB (on transit)

But you gotta love the look of those Carbon Exhaust Tips... Wondering if I could install those in the stock exhaust!
      09-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I've heard MPE but it was enclosed in a showroom. It seemed way too loud... I think I'm starting to get too old.

I used to have a 2008 VW R32, which has the awesome VR6 noise, so I am certainly not against some sound... but I'm picky, I don't want the car to drone, I want to be able to take a long trip without getting tired of all the noise by the end of the trip.

I've only heard the standard exhaust in another car being driven past me at a Starbucks and it wasn't going fast or anything, so hard to judge... but from what I heard of the MPE, it's too loud. It's also stupidly expensive, and the manual flap control stuff is silly. I'd rather let the car deal with the flap(s) like stock, or just not have any flaps at all.

Story about flapper-actuated exhausts... My TTRS came with the factory standard exhaust, which we would all agree is too quiet. (Previous owner was older than me and ordered it that way.) I found the OEM "Audi Sport" part and installed it on the car along with de-cat midpipes (car has 3 cats, only the first one is monitored so it's common to get decat pipes before the catback section).

I complained for a while that the Sport exhaust was very drone-y, and I eventually replaced it with a Corsa Performance system that doesn't use a valve at all.

I'm now in process of returning the car to stock, I put the Audi Sport catback on again... but this time I actually hooked up the vacuum line to the exhaust flapper. (I had apparently disconnected it at some point trying to get more noise out of it the first time around.)

Amazingly, with the flapper hooked up again, it does a pretty good job of cutting down the drone! I still think the Audi Sport piece is a bit too quiet for an RS car, but with the flapper working as intended it doesn't resonate/drone much at all.

The OEMs engineer the flaps in there for a reason, and it's usually not just "make it quieter," it's often more along the lines of "eliminate a bad resonance."

I like the car to be loud outside, but I don't want it at the expense of my own comfort.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

MPE drones in both comfort and sport due to the removal of the resonator in the mid pipe. My only regret is buying the exhaust since I replaced it anyway with the Akra Evolution due to the drone.

Get stock. If you mod, a downpipe will add more sound. AlexCirci has stock exhaust with downpipe and his car sounds really good. Just a bit louder but with more drama. Otherwise, you can always upgrade later.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
IMO:

stock is loud enough and still has good amount of pops and burbles at decel.

MPE is too loud for me. and there is no weight savings. So no point of it what so ever for me.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
IMO:

stock is loud enough and still has good amount of pops and burbles at decel.

MPE is too loud for me. and there is no weight savings. So no point of it what so ever for me.
MPE makes more sense I think if you disable ASD.
      09-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

I love mine, although start up is crazy loud. especially with valves opened, but only lasts about 10 seconds. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      09-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #10
pissclams
bad ***** poster _
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3, 2018 F87

Before my car arrived, I wondered if I would notice the drone.
I notice the drone, the drone is real. Doesn't really bug me much though, I usually just shift to move the RPMs out of the drone window.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Has anyone done a Dyno of before and after to verify no performance gain?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I would be curious on this as well. My guess is negligible power gain. The stock exhaust seems over-capacity for the engine, so I am not sure why you would gain much.

I think my sock exhaust is plenty loud. When I start up in the garage in the morning or in the parkade at work, it is not something you can miss. And I love the burbles on decel in Sport+!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
I would be curious on this as well. My guess is negligible power gain. The stock exhaust seems over-capacity for the engine, so I am not sure why you would gain much.

I think my sock exhaust is plenty loud. When I start up in the garage in the morning or in the parkade at work, it is not something you can miss. And I love the burbles on decel in Sport+!
Oh yea it's quite loud stock relative to other cars. I feel bad driving through my neighborhood late at night because I work late. God forbid I need to start it late at night, sorry neighbors....

Anyway there have been some people say they feel a performance difference with the MPE. Less turbo lag too. Shrug.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

I don't know if there's a performance gain, but just recently converted over the MPE (after finding a great deal) and my launch and shifts feel smoother. I don't know if it's my imagination (most likely!) or my senses being more engaged with the sound and feel on the throttle with MPE. Sound is GLORIOUS though. Still sounds refined, and definitely bearable in both track and non-track modes. When I come back home I just throw it back in comfort and keep the revs under 3k.

Im on V2, but can still feel the rattle on cold start, especially now that the weather is getting cooler. No problems during midday.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #15
dtmpower98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2

I'm week 37 as well, and I went with MPE w titanium tips. Going to add a catless downpipe as well.
Follow me on Instagram- @dtmpower98
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
I did Euro Delivery on mine so I actually got to experience my own car with both exhaust systems on it. In case you're wondering, it's because the MPE is a port installed option.

My opinion is that when I first got the car (this past saturday) the MPE was quite drony and I was actually regretting having spent all that money. But, as probably most of you did, I ended up driving all over the place around Vancouver, tried every mountain pass, and the MPE started to sound better and better. I'm not sure if there's a run-in period, but now I prefer the sound. I basically have it with the valves open all the time.

Cheers
Dom
Appreciate 2
krizze928.00
      10-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #17
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Yes, one thing I would also like to add is that my MPE has gotten louder over time! After 13 track days this year, the muffler packing has had some good heat through it. It is noticeable louder than when new, especially noticeable when during a cold start. The same thing happened with the exhaust on my 335is - after X number of track days. Just wanted to mention this. Has anyone else noticed the same?

I feel the OEM exhaust has a great sound as well. I have demoed my MPE for a number of M2 owners (approx. 12 I would bet) with OEM exhaust and everyone loves it!

From most posts, etc. I have read there is 0 power gain. I ordered my M2 with an MPE. I am not one for "bling" but the MPE just sounded too good, I had to have it. Plus, it will help with resale value unlike a non-BMW after market exhaust, which will not matter much to me personally as I plan on keep my M2 a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #18
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissclams View Post
Before my car arrived, I wondered if I would notice the drone.
I notice the drone, the drone is real. Doesn't really bug me much though, I usually just shift to move the RPMs out of the drone window.
Except you can't do that in 6th on the freeway at 70. You either have to drive 60 or 85. I know which speed I used to pick. ha.

Quote:
I did a dyno on mine with a dynojet and it was in line with everyone else's dyno of stock cars also on dynojets with 93 octane (~337). I can also confirm that the Akrapovic exhaust adds 0 or maybe 1 HP. Swapped out for Eventuri + Akra (because drone) and gained 9HP.

The downpipe is the limitation here and there's no way around it. There is no way a catback or axleback can do anything because the flow is restricted by the DP. This is the same on all turbo cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 04:20 AM   #19
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

i enjoyed the stock exhaust i really did, but once i got the M performance there really isn't a time when i drive with the valves closed, maybe on the motorway other then that is valves open traction on

the best day ever was when i left my car at the airport for 3 days i was parked opposite a Audi Q7 and opened valves cold start and it set the alarm off on the Q7 lol

i couldn't go back to stock, the M performance enhances the whole experience of the M2
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 04:22 AM   #20
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Stock in Europe is 365bhp, after m performance i had 374bhp Running on 100 octane fuel and 509Nm, but i couldn't tell you if its because of the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #21
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

There is no comparison. You?ll find details from a few of my threads reviewing it.
      07-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #22
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

I had asked in another thread - but how loud in-cabin is the MPE in comfort mode with valve closed compared to stock comfort mode? Someone had mentioned to me that it's actually quieter than stock in comfort with valve closed? I was keen to pick up an MPE but was really hoping that it can be tame when necessary and bonkers with the click of a button and change in drive mode.

Can people share their experiences if the MPE has this two-side character that I'm looking for especially when compared with stock?
Appreciate 0