BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > BMW MPE no longer available in Aus?

07-16-2017, 04:07 AM   #23
Fab_R
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 / Audi S3 8V Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy View Post
I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago when I heard they were running out.

This is the BMW Australia quote sent to me:

BMW Australia would like to advise dealer network that the BMW M Performance Valve Silencer System for M2 (F87) has had a manufacturing optimisation change, which has unfortunately resulted in the superseded system being non-compliant to Australian Standards.

So I got one of only two apparently left in the country (at the time) - it arrived at the dealership Friday from interstate but the carbon diffuser I also ordered isn't due from Germany until mid week - hopefully by next Friday COB I'll have everything installed and I'll report back what it sounds like versus stock.
You will love it mate... Hopefully it gets supplied!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 04:08 AM   #24
Fab_R
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 / Audi S3 8V Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Do you know what state they got it from? My dealership said they had 2 in stock Friday.

Look forward to your thoughts, haven't heard of many being unimpressed with the sound.
I'm totally impressed as you know Daz
Appreciate 1
Prodigy.697.50
      07-16-2017, 05:52 AM   #25
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy View Post
I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago when I heard they were running out.

This is the BMW Australia quote sent to me:

BMW Australia would like to advise dealer network that the BMW M Performance Valve Silencer System for M2 (F87) has had a manufacturing optimisation change, which has unfortunately resulted in the superseded system being non-compliant to Australian Standards.

So I got one of only two apparently left in the country (at the time) - it arrived at the dealership Friday from interstate but the carbon diffuser I also ordered isn't due from Germany until mid week - hopefully by next Friday COB I'll have everything installed and I'll report back what it sounds like versus stock.
How does something which was compliant now become non-compliant? Wouldn't they need to do a recall on all the old units too?

I'm not getting that done if they do.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #26
MGN370
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (MY18 6MT BSM)

I spoke to my dealer (in QLD) and he advised that the issue with the exhausts is compliance with the Australian Design Regulations (ADR). Some shipments "make it through" and others get held up. This is the reason for the shortage. He advised that they have none available, and I could not even order one.

My vehicle isn't due here until September so I have some time, but I would hate to have to wait around to get my exhaust. I would mush rather have it all installed from day 1. Or maybe I'm just being OCD
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #27
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep

I've heard similar stories from Brisbane BMW but the dealer where I ended up buying my m2 from wasn't too sure (awaiting delivery late october). Could this be due to the rev 2 with the button in the boot? I'm still tossing up whether to get the MPE or not. Theres a couple of reasons including having to cut the stock exhaust which baffles me and would make returning to stock a bit dodgy-as an engineer I'm much more a fan of flanges and welds as opposed to clamps for the new exhaust to be secured with. Also I'm wondering how loud the MPE is as even though my akra evolution on my e90m3 sounds amazing I'm sure it pi$$es off the neighbours every time it starts up. Plus 6k odd for a cstback that provides zero performance seems a bit rich. Choices. Choices.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:44 AM   #28
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Just crunched some numbers... could had for just under $4k (incl duties and taxes) to your door. I need to sit in the car and work out where to wire the boot button to though.

A$5.6k if you want to throw in the spoiler and diffuser as well.

So dam tempting!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 01:12 AM   #29
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep

That sounds awesome! Would love more details if you would be so kind to PM me Any details? Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 02:32 AM   #30
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post
Just crunched some numbers... could had for just under $4k (incl duties and taxes) to your door. I need to sit in the car and work out where to wire the boot button to though.

A$5.6k if you want to throw in the spoiler and diffuser as well.

So dam tempting!
I think i know where from...UK?

Got a quote for 2 systems the other day, worked out way cheaper than here.

I've been going backwards and forwards over what system to get but i think i'm going to go Remus.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 02:46 AM   #31
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:

Why the Remus?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 02:55 AM   #32
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' M2 LCI, 21' X4 M40

Quote:
Quote:

Why the Remus?
Part of the reason is that no cutting involved I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 03:12 AM   #33
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Why the Remus?
Being direct bolt on was a plus, (easy to remove and sell when time to sell the car)
Price is a bit cheaper (If purchased locally) and build quality appears to be superior than the MPE, a bit worried about quality issues with the MPE, have read of a few issues with the BT controller and even cracking of the system. (if purchased overseas my dealership said they may not honour the warranty so you'd have to take it up with the supplier, in this case in the UK)
Also have a mate who has it installed and loves it.

Trust me i've had many sleepless nights over this..lol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #34
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep

I am going to check out an akrapovic exhaust on an m2 at tekno performance one day as they have invited me to hear it in the flesh. The akra is around 9k supply and fit I believe. I am not sure if I would want to take the gamble of getting the MPE imported with no local warranty option especially reading about all the Bluetooth and fitment issues. However for less than 4k landed it becomes much more attractive. Not sure how much to budget for install though as it looks like there is some wiring work required which your standard exhaust much would probably struggle with.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #35
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav_au View Post
I am going to check out an akrapovic exhaust on an m2 at tekno performance one day as they have invited me to hear it in the flesh. The akra is around 9k supply and fit I believe. I am not sure if I would want to take the gamble of getting the MPE imported with no local warranty option especially reading about all the Bluetooth and fitment issues. However for less than 4k landed it becomes much more attractive. Not sure how much to budget for install though as it looks like there is some wiring work required which your standard exhaust much would probably struggle with.
Fitment for MPE was quoted $549.90 from dealer, to give you a rough idea. But you can definitely get a better price from them or some independent workshop.
Cost-wise, it's a no-brainer. But as you said, the potential issues with the system is a concern. Also, when you outsource from Europe, it's got the red button in the boot I believe.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 02:17 AM   #36
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Well after much procrastination i finally ordered a system, in the end i opted for the Remus, will be a couple of weeks until it's installed but will give my thoughts once it's on.
Appreciate 2
Aust350z243.00
JLX70.50
      08-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #37
nick_stp
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Well after much procrastination i finally ordered a system, in the end i opted for the Remus, will be a couple of weeks until it's installed but will give my thoughts once it's on.
Looking forward to it
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 03:04 AM   #38
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep

Me too! Would love to hear your thoughts on how the remus compares to the other options. I'm still tossing up which way to go with my exhaust and also the m performance parts. The prices we pay here compared to the rest of the world is disgusting.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 02:26 AM   #39
JLX
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
I have a funny feeling you'll love it
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #40
iQuiet
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

I'm getting and Fi Exhaust with their Catless downpipe. As good as stock sounds, I want something much more aggressive! But being Valvetronic, good that I can close the valves for a quiet sound during the night time
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #41
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQuiet
I'm getting and Fi Exhaust with their Catless downpipe. As good as stock sounds, I want something much more aggressive! But being Valvetronic, good that I can close the valves for a quiet sound during the night time
Awesome! Let us know how you get on? I think I am steering away from the MPE as there are numerous threads and posts mentioning that it drones. For me drone is a no no and it does my head in. I think I am really keen on the eisenmann from what I can see in videos. I think I decided to not even bother hearing the akrapovic as 9k for an exhaust is just stupid money.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #42
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

I had already ordered the M Performance from my dealer and would have been fitted by the dealer so I wouldn't have to deal with the aftermath of the any warranty issues if I got it separately.

Then I was told the matching M Performance diffuser was out of stock indefinitely so I headed over to Tekno to check out the Akra gear. Would have been weird to get an Akra diffuser with an M Performance exhaust so I was contemplating cancelling the order for the M Performance.

The Akra is twin pipes joining the downpipe/cat near the front of the car. The M Performance is single pipe midway in the car then splits near the rear.

I also liked that the Akra also uses the factory electronic controls so it links to the Comfort/Sport mode settings of the car instead of the standalone keyfob

For me the premium was worth it. The lighter less restricted flow and the full length of the twin pipes.

But in the end the dealer got the diffuser from BMW so I'm back to the M Performance.

To be honest I prefer the sound of the M Performance - it matches the character of the car better. But for everything else, I'd choose the Akra.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #43
jliu
Registered
Rep

Just got the MPE installed, man it sounds awesome... How did your dealer get the diffuser? BMW Sydney still saying it's on back order ex-Germany???
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #44
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

Yeah that was what I was told too. But I did order the combo a while ago.
Appreciate 0