BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Best Intake?

10-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #67
Dillon7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

I put in the CTS intake, 8k miles no CEL.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #68
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #69
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I have the CTS intake. Sounds amazing and NO CEL. Don't care if it doesn't make more power it sounds like the thing can inhale small children and the woosh of the turbo is intoxicating.

Appreciate 3
Jcon157316.50
LLB-M221.50
      08-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #70
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '15 M235, '16 X3

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'08 335 (Retired)  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
"it sounds like the thing can inhale small children"
Appreciate 2
twin fed1175.50
      08-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #71
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon7 View Post
What do you guys think is the best intake for the money? Doesn't seem like there's too many out there, I was looking at the BMS intake but it seems too cheap, and AFE doesn't have any reviews or anything about it. Not looking to spend eventuri money, thoughts?
Define best ... There are some really nice carbon fiber intakes out there but they will cost a lot of money.

Our most popular intake is the Injen ... Adds a lot of sound for a very reasonable price.
BMS is a very popular intake as well
Agree that oem airbox and dry drop in gives good VFM.

Add Pure hi Flo inlet pipe to be assured of more noise, sharper pick up and best bang for the buck even on a stock motor.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #72
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1521177

for $1500, my GruppeM intake could be the best bang for the buck intake now.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #73
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1521177

for $1500, my GruppeM intake could be the best bang for the buck intake now.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #74
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Agree that oem airbox and dry drop in gives good VFM.

Add Pure hi Flo inlet pipe to be assured of more noise, sharper pick up and best bang for the buck even on a stock motor.

That's the exact route I'm taking. I also saw a screen on the inlet tube of the airbox that I'll probably try to remove as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 04:24 PM   #75
Spierce8181
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22

BMS INTAKE AMD TUBING … idle is slightly rougher. No CEL at all in a year. No increase in anything but sound. A decrease in torque and hp imo. I've taken it off and on to see twice. Car simply performs better without it. All the way around. Great sound tho.
I'm honestly not sure what to go with at this point. Might just use a drop in.
I will say this though, I would never go open after this. The engine bay gets filthy every 4 to 6 weeks. It's either drop in or a closed intake. I really believe a closed intake with more airflow would be better for the motor.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2022, 06:45 PM   #76
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spierce8181 View Post
BMS INTAKE AMD TUBING … idle is slightly rougher. No CEL at all in a year. No increase in anything but sound. A decrease in torque and hp imo. I've taken it off and on to see twice. Car simply performs better without it. All the way around. Great sound tho.
I will say this though, I would never go open after this. The engine bay gets filthy every 4 to 6 weeks. It's either drop in or a closed intake. I really believe a closed intake with more airflow would be better for the motor.
M2's stock air-box is very efficient and has no real restrictions

Drop in AFE dry filter and be done

Sell that sucker and never look back

Want next level… Add MST Turbo inlet
      09-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #77
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

I used to use an AFE drop in but I remember reading someone on the forum had an oil analysis (while using the AFE) which showed the filter was letting some dust/dirt through. I've gone back to oem and just change it around 10K km intervals, will also give it a vacuum after a country trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:41 PM   #78
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Quote:

I used to use an AFE drop in but I remember reading someone on the forum had an oil analysis (while using the AFE) which showed the filter was letting some dust/dirt through. I've gone back to oem and just change it around 10K km intervals, will also give it a vacuum after a country trip.
We don't know where that person actually lives… They could live in the Arizona desert…Or drive dirt roads for that matter

Both the AFE as well as the factory filter have solid seals around the outer edge so they both seal proper in that regard

My car is definitely more snappy with the AFA installed and on top of that it will last a lifetime

Regardless you definitely can't go wrong running the factory air filter
      09-02-2022, 12:34 AM   #79
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's pretty one-sided considering we don't know where that person actually lives… they could live in the desert…Or drive dirt roads for that matter

Both the AFE as well as the factory filter have really solid seals around the outside edge so I don't understand where the problem would be

My car is definitely more snappy with it installed and on top of that it will last a lifetime
OK I did a search and found what I'd recall reading, it's ZM2 from Baltimore & here's a link to the post https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=183

The AFE has a good seal, no different than oem, but to achieve a higher air flow rate than oem for the same surface area it must sacrifice the level of filtration. I do 3-5 day trips to country/mountain areas (for the twisty roads) which can be dusty in part, sometimes even sections of unsealed road, so decided to go back to oem & just accept the cost of regularly changing it.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16304.50
      09-02-2022, 12:36 AM   #80
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Quote:
That's pretty one-sided considering we don't know where that person actually lives… they could live in the desert…Or drive dirt roads for that matter

Both the AFE as well as the factory filter have really solid seals around the outside edge so I don't understand where the problem would be

My car is definitely more snappy with it installed and on top of that it will last a lifetime
OK I did a search and found what I'd recall reading, it's ZM2 from Baltimore & here's a link to the post https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=183

The AFE has a good seal, no different than oem, but to achieve a higher air flow rate than oem for the same surface area it must sacrifice the level of filtration. I do 3-5 day trips to country/mountain areas (for the twisty roads) which can be dusty in part, sometimes even sections of unsealed road, so decided to go back to oem & just accept the cost of regularly changing it.
I know him… I will check it out

Not saying it will sway me

Thanks for sharing

09-02-2022, 07:31 AM   #81
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

Thanks for sharing

he's an outlier - I've seen and reposted a few a few oil analysis for the AFE filter and they all came up flawless for those users. I wouldn't go back to the restrictive paper off one post.
Edit: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...t=oil+analysis

Last edited by AmuroRay; 09-02-2022 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16304.50
      09-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #82
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Quote:

Thanks for sharing

he's an outlier - I've seen and reposted a few a few oil analysis for the AFE filter and they all came up flawless for those users. I wouldn't go back to the restrictive paper off one post.
What's an outlier?
      09-02-2022, 02:36 PM   #83
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What's an outlier?
ZM2's claims that it increased particulates in his oil analysis. People can check the F30 side, and there is no difference between a drop in a paper per the test (though in a lab, there would be)

The car drove better with the drop in, and I left it that way until I upgraded to the CTS intake. For what it's worth, high ethanol and higher boost are worse for the car than a drop in filter, but most of us do it.
      09-02-2022, 03:15 PM   #84
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
What's an outlier?
ZM2's claims that it increased particulates in his oil analysis. People can check the F30 side, and there is no difference between a drop in a paper per the test (though in a lab, there would be)

The car drove better with the drop in, and I left it that way until I upgraded to the CTS intake. For what it's worth, high ethanol and higher boost are worse for the car than a drop in filter, but most of us do it.
Interesting

I've run a shit ton of filters in my time…

The AFE was first of five modifications I've done to my M2's engine so far

I have zero regrets and the sound alone is much better than it was with the stock air-filter in place
      09-03-2022, 06:20 AM   #85
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
What's an outlier?

The benefits from running ethanol or higher boost are also much greater than a drop in filter.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 09:21 AM   #86
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
The benefits from running ethanol or higher boost are also much greater than a drop in filter.
I like the sound and additional throttle response. People are complaining about .2% more particulates, and are utilizing more ethanol which is already functions like a detergent. I've yet to see an engine fail because of an air filter.
      09-20-2022, 06:10 AM   #87
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your link shows 1 case to counter ZM2, that hardly makes him an 'outlier'.

I know this is anecdotal, but I'm a bit ocd with the air filter (& oil/filter). I used an afe dry drop-in for about 12-18mths and would clean it every 5-8K km or if I'd been on a multi-day road trip. I actually have 2 so I could just drop in a clean one as I have to remove the F80 carbon & oem boomerang bracing.

With the afe I noticed a very thin film of dust on the walls of the intake (filtered side) which I would clean (carefully so not to damage the sensor). I've been back using the oem air filter for a year or so and today put a new one in. The old one had 9K km including 2 long road trips, in the last week I did 5K km with a group which meant I was often driving through dust/dirt thrown up by cars ahead. Today, like after every trip, the bottom of the airbox had a bit of dirt/sand & little stones (which I clean out) but the intake above the filter was perfectly clean, wipe a finger on the intake wall and not a mark. This wouldn't have been the case with the afe.
Who knows what the long term affects are of that fine dust getting through but you'd have to think it can't be good. IMO if the car sees dry or dusty environments I would think twice about using a high flow filter.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:00 AM   #88
Spierce8181
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spierce8181 View Post

Learning how to reply hahaha but thank you. That Dinan though. It's tightly sealed and people swear by it. Problem is I've been waiting for 5 weeks for it to ship.

Drop in it it is. Thank you. But again… With a tune/downpipe with a good tuner he's going to compensate for that extra airflow so the DME doesn't have to do anything and I just would imagine as long as that's a closed box from a reputable company he would get the best of both worlds. Anyways I guess that's for a different subject. Thank you I'm going to sell it.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16304.50