BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke signature exhaust.. any good?

10-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #1
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Active Autowerke signature exhaust.. any good?

Hi all,

I’ve been researching Active’s signature turbo-back exhaust but there’s a real lack of user reviews or videos online, from what I can see.

Has anyone here had it installed? Here’s the product listing: https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...exhaust-system

I know it’s a full exhaust system but $3450 is a lot of cash. Though you seem to get a lot more for the money VS the other option I’m looking at (MPE).

One thing I also can’t figure out is if this “turbo-back” system actually includes a downpipe... by the looks of the product description, this is purchased separately..but the images show a DP in them.

Any views appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
mishutka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2

Hey there, i was dealing with the same issue while contemplating getting this exhaust. I can't be happier with it. It sounds absolutely ridiculous and trust me when i tell you that nothing i've heard comes close. It burbles and it pops loudly on upshifts. But not obtrusive at all in the cabin. It comes with downpipe and all the parts necessary for instal. It's not a cheap unit but it is a very high quality. Design and function go hand in hand with their products. One important thing to acknowledge that you pay for the exhaust itself, where some others charge just $1k for fancy tips alone. It will be loud on cold starts and you will get a check engine unless you use a spacer so plan on getting a tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishutka View Post
Hey there, i was dealing with the same issue while contemplating getting this exhaust. I can't be happier with it. It sounds absolutely ridiculous and trust me when i tell you that nothing i've heard comes close. It burbles and it pops loudly on upshifts. But not obtrusive at all in the cabin. It comes with downpipe and all the parts necessary for instal. It's not a cheap unit but it is a very high quality. Design and function go hand in hand with their products. One important thing to acknowledge that you pay for the exhaust itself, where some others charge just $1k for fancy tips alone. It will be loud on cold starts and you will get a check engine unless you use a spacer so plan on getting a tune.
Appreciate the info! I’ve read the valves automatically open depending on throttle and drive mode select (eg comfort, sport, sport +) rather than a manual switch like the MPE’s bluetooth controller. How has this been for you?

Also - any drone at highway speeds?

Thanks - great to hear feedback from a buyer.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
mishutka
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Appreciate the info! I’ve read the valves automatically open depending on throttle and drive mode select (eg comfort, sport, sport +) rather than a manual switch like the MPE’s bluetooth controller. How has this been for you?

Also - any drone at highway speeds?

Thanks - great to hear feedback from a buyer.
The only time valve is closed is after 2500rpm in comfort mode, all the other instances its fully open. If you see a need to close the valves at higher rpms, you don't need performance exhaust period. No drone whatsoever, just very loud on upshifts and burbles hard...This is a very serious exhaust, makes the car sound a little exotic, like mini Lamborghini. Would be best if you can listen to few different options prior to making a decision, i know it's personal preference but i have yet to find one person that has something bad to say about it. The most important things that guys at AA know their stuff, everybody is going to preach about their exhaust being the best etc but trust me, you can't go wrong with it!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 11:33 PM   #5
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The only time valve is closed is after 2500rpm in comfort mode, all the other instances its fully open. If you see a need to close the valves at higher rpms, you don't need performance exhaust period. No drone whatsoever, just very loud on upshifts and burbles hard...This is a very serious exhaust, makes the car sound a little exotic, like mini Lamborghini. Would be best if you can listen to few different options prior to making a decision, i know it's personal preference but i have yet to find one person that has something bad to say about it. The most important things that guys at AA know their stuff, everybody is going to preach about their exhaust being the best etc but trust me, you can't go wrong with it!!!
Awesome, this is what I want to hear. Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 01:27 AM   #6
iQuiet
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Imo, fi make the best sounding M2 exhaust, and I've heard a lot on person, but not the AA on an M2.

Honestly, valve closed the Fi Ehaust is quieter than stock in cabin, slightly louder behind the tailpipes and with it open, it's just insane!
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
mishutka
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQuiet View Post
Imo, fi make the best sounding M2 exhaust, and I've heard a lot on person, but not the AA on an M2.

Honestly, valve closed the Fi Ehaust is quieter than stock in cabin, slightly louder behind the tailpipes and with it open, it's just insane!
FI Exhausts are without a doubt one of the best systems out there. I haven't heard one on M2 so i can't really provide any input to compare the units.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

+1 FI with Fabspeed catted DP. I drive with valves open 99% of the time. The thing burbles on lift in 6th gear lol
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 05:34 AM   #9
iQuiet
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Fi for the M2, truly make an astounding system, through tunnels WOT It almost sounds like an F1 Car, it burbles and pops so loud people think your shooting a shotty.
And the best thing is, you can pretty much turn it right off, and drive normally like nothing happened! To my surprise, valve closed outside cabin still burbles and is louder than stock especially if you climb revs to over 5k..

However, if you keep it under 3k, it genuinely sounds quieter than stock.

The exhaust is honestly intoxicating. and Anyone that makes this purchase, will definitely not dissapoint!

I was at a car show, there were a few other M2s/M6s/M3s/M4s..
All came to look at my exhaust, they thought it was akra (I got carbon tips) and it looks identical.. and they were like holy shit!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #10
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Since our exhaust uses the OEM valve, any of the aftermarket valve controllers will work just fine. We have an Awron gauge in our car that has the flap control, and we have a few customers using the CG Precision wireless controller with the key fob as well.

The main benefit of using our system with our included downpipe is the fact that the system never shrinks below 3.5". Most other systems are made to work with an OEM style downpipe that shrinks to under 3" at the flange. We maintain a full 3.5" to the tips in both configurations (valve open or closed) so even with the valve closed you still have 100% of the performance gain. We don't force exhaust gases through any smaller piping when the valve is closed.

To answer your original post, our exhaust includes a full 3.5" downpipe. If you already have a different downpipe or wish to keep your OEM downpipe we can include an adapter to fit those options as well.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #11
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
it sounds convincing on video

2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      02-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Since our exhaust uses the OEM valve, any of the aftermarket valve controllers will work just fine. We have an Awron gauge in our car that has the flap control, and we have a few customers using the CG Precision wireless controller with the key fob as well.

The main benefit of using our system with our included downpipe is the fact that the system never shrinks below 3.5". Most other systems are made to work with an OEM style downpipe that shrinks to under 3" at the flange. We maintain a full 3.5" to the tips in both configurations (valve open or closed) so even with the valve closed you still have 100% of the performance gain. We don't force exhaust gases through any smaller piping when the valve is closed.

To answer your original post, our exhaust includes a full 3.5" downpipe. If you already have a different downpipe or wish to keep your OEM downpipe we can include an adapter to fit those options as well.
Shame you guys don't have any retailers here in the UK - AA TBE sounds superb on the M2....

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #13
MdMcoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Mcoupe (blown/track toy)

Quote:
So when you say downpipe i assume that means a cattless downpipe? So running the AA exhaust/downpipe will throw a CEL.

AA makes flanges to run stock or fabspeed cat, correct?

If I don't want the AA downpipe does the price go down from 3.4K?
      02-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #14
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipersix View Post
Another

Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #15
MdMcoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Mcoupe (blown/track toy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
+1 FI with Fabspeed catted DP. I drive with valves open 99% of the time. The thing burbles on lift in 6th gear lol
After ordering your FI how long was the wait...
      02-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #16
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMcoupe View Post
So when you say downpipe i assume that means a cattless downpipe? So running the AA exhaust/downpipe will throw a CEL.

AA makes flanges to run stock or fabspeed cat, correct?

If I don't want the AA downpipe does the price go down from 3.4K?
Yes it includes a catless 3.5" pipe that connects directly to the turbo. This allows us to keep a minimum of 3.5" for the entire system, instead of shrinking it down to factory ~2.9" sizing at the downpipe to exhaust flange. We do have an adapter flange that will allow you to connect the system to the stock or aftermarket downpipe. The price remains the same but you'll receive an adapter instead of a straight pipe.

We will also be offering a catted version of the system that will maintain the 3.5" diameter from the turbo back, but it will incorporate an EPA approved high flow cat that will pass emissions. This should be available within the next couple months.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

+1 for Active Autowerke exhaust

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 06:05 AM   #18
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
We will also be offering a catted version of the system that will maintain the 3.5" diameter from the turbo back, but it will incorporate an EPA approved high flow cat that will pass emissions. This should be available within the next couple months.
Any AA dealers in EU/UK for catted TBE pricing ?

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #19
TerryCTR
Rep

Any update on the catted version and how do we get this to the Uk?

It’s a shame the Fi exhaust doesn’t pass the EU tests as I wouldn’t mind one of them
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #20
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryCTR View Post
Any update on the catted version and how do we get this to the Uk?

It’s a shame the Fi exhaust doesn’t pass the EU tests as I wouldn’t mind one of them
Why dont you just order it to Uk? I'm sure AA can ship their product.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #21
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

That is my wife! As someone mentioned earlier, it does sound very exotic. To be honest sounds better than my friends Huracan(My opinion and Huracan owner also) I have the same exhaust on my M4 and as good as it sounds it is far from the music the M2 makes. We have Awron to control flap and flash tune that eliminated cold start. It is a fantastic package

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipersix View Post

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 02:17 AM   #22
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
That is my wife! As someone mentioned earlier, it does sound very exotic. To be honest sounds better than my friends Huracan(My opinion and Huracan owner also) I have the same exhaust on my M4 and as good as it sounds it is far from the music the M2 makes. We have Awron to control flap and flash tune that eliminated cold start. It is a fantastic package
your from vancouver im guessing? If yes, I used to live in Vancouver, had an e90 before. I'm flying to Vancouver on June, do you mind if we meet up so I can listed to the m2 with Active Autowerke exhaust?
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0