BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Break-in driving experience?

08-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
jaflak
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Break-in driving experience?

Hi All,

For the past year, i have been 'that guy' who reads in the dark and nobody even knows that he's there. Well iv'e finally created an account and this is my first post.

Last December, i put myself on the waiting list at Sylvania BMW (Sydney) for the M2. Literally, last December and it arrives in 3 or so weeks. I'm upgrading from a Hyundai i30 (I know right, so much for baby steps). Great news is, it was an early July build, therefore an LCI

Every day, i have watched videos, reviews, read forums, etc.. I have only ever seen the M2 about 7-8 times on the road and yet to hear it roar (i have heard the Cold Start though - WOW!)

The question that i have today - what's the overall driving experience like during the break-in? Will i still feel a fair bit of power? Looking for your experiences and answers, without the obvious "It'll still be much quicker than the i30" I do drive my brother's Audi SQ5 a fair bit, however i know that this is quicker by about 1 second (which is heaps in car language)

On another note - video's do no justice for volume. Is it really loud? And will i hear much of it during the break-in?

Incase you're interested - Long Beach Blue, Sun-Roof, Heated Seats (no longer standard with the LCI)

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
TropicalM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 BSM DCT Z08

go easy during the break in, follow the guidelines in the manual. the break in service does not change power or engine sound as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:03 AM   #3
Emhyr var Emreis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

There's plenty of power to be had under 5.5k. I crossed 1000 miles just yesterday, and have had no trouble staying under the limit (for the most part). It's a real pleasure to drive. I love how it pulls hard even in 5th and 6th gears (6MT).

The stock exhaust is definitely loud enough (at least for my taste).

Last edited by Emhyr var Emreis; 08-16-2017 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
jaflak
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Thanks for the replies! How can i possibly delete this? Iv'e posted in the wrong section, in my opinion
Appreciate 0