BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Evolve x Marr LDN M2 GTS "Art Car"

Closed Thread

12-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

The BMW Art Car Project was introduced by the French racecar driver Hervé Poulain in 1975 with the first Art Car by Alexander Calder.

Many renowned artists throughout the world have created BMW Art Cars including Hockney, Chia, Warhol and my personal favourite over the years was the Koons E92 M3GT2.

Chia

Hockney

Warhol

Koons

Inspired by these Art Cars over the years I always wanted to create my own. After finishing the M2 GTS build I felt that this would be a great platform for such a car.

The difficult decision would be which artist to entrust with this task. Obviously not being BMW we couldn't get a big name artist to take on something this on our car so I set out searching various sources including Instagram for some art work that I really liked and that would work on the car. I've always liked graffiti so it was this genre that I was searching in. I also wanted it to make people think and to evoke an emotion.

On my virtual travels I came across a company called Marr London (@marr_ldn Marr LDN) on Instagram that was painting clothing and had some prominent clients such as Rita Ora, Kevin Hart, Craig David etc. I found that they also had started a project called Living Art (@living_art8) turning every day objects into Art. I really liked the art work so I met them in London to see if they would be willing to do a collaboration project on our M2. Suffice to say they liked the car and set out to do some mock ups.

I pretty much gave them the freedom to do what they wanted as I was happy with style and didn't want to get in the way of artist expression.

The next challenge was how to carry this out. The usual way would be to do a digital design and then transfer this on to a wrap and wrap the car. We collectively felt that if we could find a way the artist could hand paint. So after some experimentation with some wrap material supplied by V Styling V Styling the artist tried out some paint on them and we settled on a material.

The car was then wrapped in the white material and wrapped by V Styling including some PPF on the carbon area of the hood so that could be painted over. It was then ready for the artist, Aya Fahad, to do her thing with some direction from her colleague Marcel Robin.

In total the painting took around 11 hours and was done on the same day. I was lucky enough to be there for the whole process so I got to see it go from a blank canvas to completion. We have made a time lapse video and a documentary covering the process which will be uploaded soon.

In the mean time enjoy the pictures.

Appreciate 3
Powaup1252.00
MDriven140.00
      12-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

The car was then introduced the opening of Not Just Another Store in London.

Appreciate 2
      12-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

Wow, that looks sick out in the wild! Is that the same M2 GTS as the MGM one, just wrapped?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 04:23 AM   #4
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessetaylor1 View Post
Wow, that looks sick out in the wild! Is that the same M2 GTS as the MGM one, just wrapped?
Yes its the MG M2 with a white wrap which was painted with the art work.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Finally got round to doing some light painted shots. The car will be going through some more changes in the coming months to move away from a GTS theme to a more CSL-esque theme.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Great idea! Unique appearance! 👍
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

I loved your car as it was.....but this doesn't do it for me sorry. Art is an individual taste though so I'm sure plenty will like it! I look forward to the pheonix rising.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Saw it live at Autosport. Unique creation, not my style but special!

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Art is very personal, and oddly...if I saw this art on canvas in a gallery I wouldn't look twice. But on this M2, the whole thing is an amazing creation. I don't know why I like it, but I absolutely do and I find myself staring at your photos longer than I should be.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #10
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I love the idea but not a huge fan of the art itself. Kudos on the attempt though.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #11
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
Great idea! Unique appearance! 👍
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb65 View Post
I loved your car as it was.....but this doesn't do it for me sorry. Art is an individual taste though so I'm sure plenty will like it! I look forward to the pheonix rising.
Yes people either love it or hate it. From feedback its very split.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Saw it live at Autosport. Unique creation, not my style but special!

MR
Thanks Marc! I was at GP Products in your homeland yesterday speaking to the other Marc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Art is very personal, and oddly...if I saw this art on canvas in a gallery I wouldn't look twice. But on this M2, the whole thing is an amazing creation. I don't know why I like it, but I absolutely do and I find myself staring at your photos longer than I should be.
Yeah the car really needs to be seen as a whole piece to be appreciated. We have customers coming into our workshop and just staring at it for ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
I love the idea but not a huge fan of the art itself. Kudos on the attempt though.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #12
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Thanks Marc! I was at GP Products in your homeland yesterday speaking to the other Marc.
I was aware of that I met Marc at Autosport and I made sure he checked out your car. I know him really well. His office is like 5 minutes from my parents place.

We discussed what options he has in this market with a strong brand like the one you have. I hope you will have a successful partnership and we can make something work soon when the M2 Competition arrives.

MR
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2018, 11:39 PM   #13
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I love it. I would drive that
      02-08-2018, 03:57 AM   #14
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
I was aware of that I met Marc at Autosport and I made sure he checked out your car. I know him really well. His office is like 5 minutes from my parents place.

We discussed what options he has in this market with a strong brand like the one you have. I hope you will have a successful partnership and we can make something work soon when the M2 Competition arrives.

MR
Thanks Marc! Look forward to working with some element of the M2 Comp with you.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 03:58 AM   #15
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
I love it. I would drive that
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #16
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

That's gutsy.

Would have been übercool if Banksy would have accepted to design a wrap for your car, or painted on your original paint (without wrap). But then you wouldn't dare to drive your car anymore, afraid of damaging the precious work of art.

Name:  Banksy_Car.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  Banksy_Car2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  373.7 KB
      02-09-2018, 04:31 AM   #17
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That's gutsy.

Would have been übercool if Banksy would have accepted to design a wrap for your car, or painted on your original paint (without wrap). But then you wouldn't dare to drive your car anymore, afraid of damaging the precious work of art.

Attachment 1765614

Attachment 1765615
Maybe one day Banksy will know who we are and accept such a collaboration from a fellow countryman. Love his work.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread