BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Atypical Info from a CA

08-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Atypical Info from a CA

In my endless search for an allocation, I called smaller dealership a few hours away from me and spoke w/ a CA. When I asked if his dealership had an available allocation, his response surprised me. It took two phone calls.

On the first call, he said that the last M2 they sold was this past Christmas. They haven't received or sold any since. He proceeded to tell me that an allocation wouldn't matter in this instance. He was to talk to his GM, who would try to "pull some strings" w/ his regional manager, in order to place a "specialty order" for an M2. This explanation was nothing like I had heard before from any dealership I previously spoke to. The CA seemed confused about the concept of an allocation and told me he would speak to his GM and call me back. At that time, the non-refundable deposit was $1,500.

On the second call, he explained that once they receive the deposit (which is now 5% of MSRP rather than $1,500) and my build specs, he will give the specs to the GM, who will then put it in front of the regional manager. They guarantee the car within 6 months, otherwise they will refund my deposit in full. Again, there was no mention of abiding by an ordering process that was contingent upon receiving an allocation from BMW.

The CA emailed me later saying that he'll be doing research on M2 allocations tonight. In his opinion, the good news for me is that they don't have any M2 orders currently, so I'm "guaranteed" the allocation. As I interpret it, I'm just #1 on their waitlist for the next allocation w/ my specs in an order bank. However, given their history of M2 sales, it may never come.

Does this CA's explanation seem odd to anyone else? Either it's a new sales tactic or he just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Last edited by Thespaz18; 08-04-2016 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

He either doesn't know what he's doing, or thinks you know nothing about the process yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 06:06 AM   #3
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
On the second call, he explained that once they receive the deposit (which is now 5% of MSRP rather than $1,500) and my build specs, he will give the specs to the GM, who will then put it in front of the regional manager. They guarantee the car within 6 months, otherwise they will refund my deposit in full. Again, there was no mention of abiding by an ordering process that was contingent upon receiving an allocation from BMW.
Essentially, they get your deposit which is non-refundable for 6 months, after which it is refundable. Their guarantee costs them nothing.

This is just their spin on the face of the ordering process. It is all going as usual behind the scenes. Not sure I would trust someone that has that much of a gap between what they say and what is really going on... as well as the fact they sound like they are a backwater dealer with minimal chance of an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

There is no "researching" allocations either. They either get them or they don't. Supposedly the next batch of allocations will be pushed out by BMW in September for Oct/Nov/Dec build dates. I would try to work in the non-refundable deposit to last until the end of September (not 6 months). If they don't have an allocation by then its not happening this year and you should get your money back.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

I thought this was a joke at first...it's not.

I think you should go to the GM directly, because this idiot should be out of a job.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Run away
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #7
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. As nice as it may be to be first in line for an allocation at this dealership, too much shady business up front doesn't sit well with me. I'm curious to see what the CA comes back with when he contacts me today.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
togepi
Private
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
He either doesn't know what he's doing, or thinks you know nothing about the process yourself.
Nailed it

I called a guy at BMW of Ontario who told me I'd be first in line. I went back and forth with him for a few days and then called back with a different number the next day and they told me there was no waitlist and that there was no waitlist because they don't know when they're gettin their next allocation and I called back the next week and the Internet sales team told me that everyone I talked to was clueless and that there was a waitlist and I could be the first one on it
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So the "show manager" called me back and tells me that the CA I spoke w/ is new and currently in training. He added that the CA does not completely understand how the allocation process works and may not have given me correct information. The only M2 they received was the HEA car and it was sold a few months ago. They haven't received an allocation since, although he claimed that their dealership sells many M cars. After hitting me with the standard line "we don't know when we'll receive another allocation," I said I understood and asked to be added to their wait list in the first spot (since the CA said there was no one else ahead of me). Lo and behold, the show manager said he has about 10 people ahead of me from CA, IL, etc. I politely expressed my displeasure at the misinformation given to me yesterday and ended the call.

In my personal experience, as well as reading other threads about members running into similar issues, it's frightening to me that dealerships have found a way to jack this process up so badly. Oh well...back to the drawing board.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Sounds about right.
Appreciate 0