BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Got in to an accident

04-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
arn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i|06'RX400h

Angry Got in to an accident

I just got home from spending 6 hours in the emergency room. This black girl hit me, she doesn't have a driver's license nor insurance. My hands are all bruised up now. It happens when I was making a left turn, I stop and saw no cars so I turned left... Next thing you know, out of nowhere...BANG! The fucked up part is that the cops gave me a ticket for careless driving saying that the other car had the right of way... when the girl that hit me doesn't even have a drivers license? Anyway... I think my rx400h is totalled now
      04-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #2
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
what!? Man that really sucks. Hope you are ok...take those pain meds!

No witnesses to see where the hell she came out from??? Good luck....I hope she will not get off completely. I mean even IF she had the right of way, with no license nor insurance....that is definitely illegal.
      04-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

serves you right for buying a hybrid.

sorry just kidding. That sucks, sorry to hear!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

oh man I am so sorry to hear that. Freaking sucks big time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
MVA

Sorry to hear about your accident. Good that you're OK. How did the police assume it was your fault? She must have T-Boned you on the passenger side of the car for them to draw that conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
N1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M

You have to return to the crash scene and try to catch how was she driving. As you couldnt see her, what happened really in two questions, why couldnt she brake in time and the visibility that she could have if she was in the normal speed. If you should stop she should drive in conditions to avoid crash as well even without license or she is crazy and she was trying to kill herself or somebody.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
arn
Private First Class
Rep

It happened in Cherry Hill, NJ... For it to cause that kind of impact, she would have to be driving at least 50+mph... And this was in a residential neighborhood where speed limit is 25. so wtf? She was driving a hyundai... I didn't hear any honking nor tire squeeking before the BANG so I imagine she didn't even step on the breaks. Argh I'm so mad.
      04-03-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wait, so you don't even know which way she came from?
      04-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Wow, that is a bad deal man, so sorry!

At least you can still type

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Wait, so you don't even know which way she came from?
Can't really sympathize here because I'm a pretty brutal critic towards those who do not yield (whether they are unaware, too stupid, or not paying attention) to incoming traffic while making a left turn on a green light (not a green arrow).

I find this to be the case primarily in youths. Hell, if I am driving straight ahead and about to cross through one of these intersections, I make myself quite chary knowing that I am in a precarious situation and a lot of times I even have to honk at these dumbasses to tell them to NOT turn right in front of me (again, most of these are young kids and in this college town where I reside, there is no evading these pests).

If she was going too fast then it may be a little understandable why you were hit. That also implies that there would have to be a serious blind spot for that to happen and if a blind spot is truly extant then the civil engineers behind this traffic light made a horrible, horrible mistake.

EDIT: Also, doesn't matter if she was a blind 10 year old driving illegally. If you ran a redlight and end up getting T-boned by a blind 10-year old, you're still at fault. Period.
      04-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
sorry to hear that man! but hey, you're lucky you didn't get charged with racism on top of it. it seems to be a very popular thing to do nowadays.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Whoa, squawks! Arn didn't say any of what you are imputing!

And ya, doesn't matter what color she was....

But then Philly is the city of Brotherly Love, right?

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn
The fucked up part is that the cops gave me a ticket for careless driving saying that the other car had the right of way...
This portion of his post luculently shows that he did not yield, hence he was making a left turn on a green light.

Shit happens, glad you are alright and hopefully that girl is also alright as well, knowing that you were safe behind an SUV while she was just in a car...
      04-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well... I sorta feel the way sqwuaks does, but that's why I'm trying to find out the fact first. Since the poster didn't make it too clear wit the detail of the event (perhaps he's not too sure himself from the trauma), I wanted to ask what actually happened first. It might be that the girl came over a hill or turned in a blind corner, ran a red...etc. But, if the fact was that he made a turn without checking for clearance, then I can't really sympothize with him, regardless of the fact that the other driver is licensed/insured or not.
      04-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
Squawks
United_States
Rep

tzf - the girl couldn't have ran a red. If the light was red, arn wouldn't be allowed to make a left turn as the light would be red as well.

EDIT: That's why the cops would give him a ticket immediately. On the other hand, if the light also had the green left-arrow option, then the cops wouldn't do anything but instead look for witnesses because in that scenario it would certainly be possible for the girl to run a redlight into collision.
      04-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #16
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ya I know, I'm just trying to see if he can explain why he was in the intersection not knowing the girl will hit him. I'm pretty sure no one here will knowingly step into harms path, so with that notion, I'd like to find out why it was that he turned into the intersection. Whether he physically didn't see the girl coming, or he simply got careless.
      04-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #17
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
This portion of his post luculently shows that he did not yield, hence he was making a left turn on a green light.

Shit happens, glad you are alright and hopefully that girl is also alright as well, knowing that you were safe behind an SUV while she was just in a car...
You're right.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #18
arn
Private First Class
Rep

well here is what happened. It was in a residential neighborhood, with a speed limit of 25. There were no signs or lights in the intersection. I came to an intersection where I was about to turn left. So i stop, turned on my signal lights. I saw no moving cars in sight so I proceed with my left turn. Half way through the intersection then BANG. Here is the main point, how can I yield when I did not see any moving cars in sight? I did stop to check for moving cars before I attempted the left turn...

edit: cops didn't even talk to me before he issued me the ticket. I was put in an ambulance immediately after I couldn't stand up straight.
      04-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #19
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn
well here is what happened. It was in a residential neighborhood, with a speed limit of 25. There were no signs or lights in the intersection. I came to an intersection where I was about to turn left. So i stop, turned on my signal lights. I saw no moving cars in sight so I proceed with my left turn. Half way through the intersection then BANG. Here is the main point, how can I yield when I did not see any moving cars in sight? I did stop to check for moving cars before I attempted the left turn...

edit: cops didn't even talk to me before he issued me the ticket. I was put in an ambulance immediately after I couldn't stand up straight.
that sucks. if thats the case than unless there were witnesses, it might be your words against hers. but shes already made some bad choices by driving w/out license and insurance so thatll maybe help your case. either way id say get a lawyer. id be pissed if a cop gave me ticket w/out justification. g'luck with that and good to hear you came out okay and hopefully the girl was okay too.

and whoa there squawks! be happy you live in a college town (a good college at that, UCSD) and not by state! or worse yet in a high school town! damn high school kids...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #20
Curt3s
In your rear view mirror making funny faces.
Rep
Drives: '06 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Similar thing happened to me in my 02 WRX.

Green light, did not yield properly.

Bam

New rear axel and a bunch of body work $7,000.

Yielding is no fucking joke, that put the fear of god into me.

'06 325i - Premium - Sport - iDrive Navigation - Bluetooth Cradle - Sparkling Graphite - Grey Interior - Aluminum Trim (GT4 330 Pictured)

"And with the amount of power he has in that BMW he is just leaving them behind right now."
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #21
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn

Well, that's my question. First of all, do you know which way she came from? Was she traveling in the opposite direction, or was she cross traffic. How far can you see down all 3 directions (hill, tree, houses...etc. blocking your sight).
      04-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #22
Squawks
United_States
Rep

If there were no lights or stop signs, what kind of crazy intersection is this? Redneck styled free-for-all country roads?

If it's a T-intersection, incoming traffic always have right of way. Left turners must yield.

I don't know how they do it in Philly but every intersection here in CA has stop signs and/or lights.