Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
While we're at it: also keep an eye on the Golf R400 (4MOTION four-wheel drive system):
0-62mph in 3.9s | 1420 kg (3131 lbs) | 450 Nm (332lb ft) torque between 2K-6K rpm.

Attachment 1149180
The R400 or R420 as some rumors suggest will only be released once the Mk8 Golf goes on sale. There will be no production Mk7 R400.
The R400 has been cancelled by VW due reduction in R&D funds because of the diesel scandal.
Wow is that official now. Thought it was still coming as the R420 or something.
      05-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #68
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
The R400 has been cancelled by VW due reduction in R&D funds because of the diesel scandal.
It has.

The new star is the Ford RS.If the M2 has to be compared to a hot hatch then this is the one for people to take notice of.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #69
wigit
Rep
Drives: M2 on order

Currently have 2 Rs, wife has one as her daily (liked mine) and mine has been modded and probably in current state quicker than the M2, where it scores over the rivals is how it deals with the daily grind and capable of not being disgraced on track.

What it does lack is a fluidity as it is a blunt tool in some ways and you need to be quite aggressive with it

I've got a R estate coming next month as my new daily as it will that job better than the M2, want it won't do better than a M2 is when you want to go for a drive and want that special feeling
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2016, 03:32 AM   #70
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

Its very interesting reading this thread as over the last few days i've been "mulling" over the fact that i should go and drive the Golf-R.

I currently have a dealer allocation for M2 which i have been told will be with me at the end of the year but the more i think about this the Golf R (given its raving reviews) the more it seems to have become more appealing.

I've come from a 1M, which i owned from new, so i've been fortunate to experience what the M2 will have to offer but i can't help the fact that the Golf does deliver in every area including price and practicality that the BMW cannot.

Its an interesting dilemma and i get why so many people (despite the engine/drive train difference) compare these two cars. I know one thing neither car will offer is "that special feeling that the 1M offered" due to its rarity. I do miss that as i think even the M2 will not offer that despite there will be very few around to start with.

Decisions, Decisions....

Last edited by Hotrod99; 06-07-2016 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2016, 04:05 AM   #71
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post
Its very interesting reading this thread as over the last few days i've been "mulling" over the fact that i should go and drive the Golf-R.

I currently have a dealer allocation for M2 which i have been told will be with me at the end of the year but the more i think about this the Golf R (given its raving reviews) the more it seems to have become more appealing.

I've come from a 1M, which i owned from new, so i've been fortunate to experience what the M2 will have to offer but i can't help the fact that the Golf does deliver in every area including price and practicality that the BMW cannot.

Its an interesting dilemma and i get why so many people (despite the engine/drive train difference) compare these two cars. I know one thing neither car will offer is "that special feeling that the 1M offered" due to its rarity. I do miss that as i think even the M2 will not offer that despite there will be very few around to start with.

Decisions, Decisions....
I know exactly where you're coming from, as I'm back after having various VAG cars and prior to that BMW's,now tiptoeing into an M2...only because VW dropped the R400 otherwise it would have been one of those all day long.The only other car that is of interest is the new TT RS but I'm going to wait for that one to settle down.

The only caveat with the R is the boredom factor,a Jack of all and master of none.Take a look on the UK forum,lots of people selling up for pastures new.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 04:35 AM   #72
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Golf R:
-Price
-Practicality
-Functionality
-On rails(Better take the train then)

M2(coming from a 1M and having had Audi S3/Impreza GTT)
-Fun
-Pleasure
-Power
-Excitement balance/roadholding
-Sound
-Looks
-Appearance
-Speciality/Special Feel

Must I go on.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #73
slidemx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 Golf R, 95 Miata, 87 E30

I haven't driven the M2 yet, but have a mk7 golf R, and had a mk6 Golf R as well (and a e90 in between). It is insanely practical, and a great all weather car.

I made the mistake of not getting a manual this last go-round and greatly miss the connection to the car.

I'm #2 on the list at the local dealer for the M2. I think it'll be a bit more practical than a 991 or 981 (which I also looked at) but more special feeling than the R.

just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #74
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidemx5 View Post
I haven't driven the M2 yet, but have a mk7 golf R, and had a mk6 Golf R as well (and a e90 in between). It is insanely practical, and a great all weather car.

I made the mistake of not getting a manual this last go-round and greatly miss the connection to the car.

I'm #2 on the list at the local dealer for the M2. I think it'll be a bit more practical than a 991 or 981 (which I also looked at) but more special feeling than the R.

just my 2 cents
Totally agree with where your coming from, Slide. Manual would be the only way forward for me.

The "special feeling" as i also know it comes at an additional premium unfortunately at around about 15K if you spec both cars with all the "toys" (potentially more given there would be discounts to be had on the R). Need to see whether the difference is really worth it.

Hence the dilemma.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #75
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

I've got the Golf R. 2015, with a bit of extras. Love the car, it's winter here now and don't like taking the M out.

I really think it's just a choice thing. M2 Is great car, but not for my use - and I already have the M4. nothing wrong with either car.

thinking of wrapping it like this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #76
slidemx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 Golf R, 95 Miata, 87 E30

Quote:
Totally agree with where your coming from, Slide. Manual would be the only way forward for me.

The "special feeling" as i also know it comes at an additional premium unfortunately at around about 15K if you spec both cars with all the "toys" (potentially more given there would be discounts to be had on the R). Need to see whether the difference is really worth it.

Hence the dilemma.
I've made that same choice before, and regretted it every time.

I've decided to buy exactly what I want this time. My only real caveat was 'must have a back seat' as the kids like to come to car events from time to time.

I kicked myself for missing the 1M last time, figured the M2 will be good until the two older ones are off to school and I can get a Cayman GTS.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #77
chrismac
Addiction
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 M Sport Plus Edition

I have a Golf R and was about to order a M4 as a stable buddy to it. However I am mulling over the M2 now. Surprising the UK finance deals are similar between the M2 and M4.

Also interesting that you M2 potential owners are mulling over the Golf R. Maybe the M2 is not for me and M4 is!?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #78
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac
I have a Golf R and was about to order a M4 as a stable buddy to it. However I am mulling over the M2 now. Surprising the UK finance deals are similar between the M2 and M4.

Also interesting that you M2 potential owners are mulling over the Golf R. Maybe the M2 is not for me and M4 is!?
Since you already have something so practical and versatile in the R, why not check out something that has none of those traits but is pure fun? New Boxster or 4C jump to mind. TTRS could be fun too, I think you guys get the roadster there.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #79
BK9731
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Glad to see many Golf Rs represented on the M forum. I went from F80 M3 to Golf R myself and contemplating getting a M2. I do miss the luxury and the aggressive nature of the M cars but overall the Golf R feels just so right. I had tough time pushing the M3 on all but smooth roads whereas the Golf R handles bumpy road with composure while feeling even nimbler. Plus I don't get any interior rattles in my Golf R vs. M3. From what I've been reading, BMW seems to have brought back some magic with the M2. I will go back to M cars but not in a hurry
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #80
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK9731 View Post
I had tough time pushing the M3 on all but smooth roads whereas the Golf R handles bumpy road with composure while feeling even nimbler. Plus I don't get any interior rattles in my Golf R vs. M3.
^^^ This!

I don't have a true M car, but as I stated many times my R compares very similarly to my M235i. I'm far from saying M235i is an inferior car, but by all means: with the Golf 7 R (especially the 4Motion, DCT version I have), VAG have managed to create an absolutely unique car; perhaps the best one they've ever made (can't say for sure, as I've never had any other VW or Audi model)...

Piotr
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #81
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK9731 View Post
I had tough time pushing the M3 on all but smooth roads whereas the Golf R handles bumpy road with composure while feeling even nimbler. Plus I don't get any interior rattles in my Golf R vs. M3.
^^^ This!

I don't have a true M car, but as I stated many times my R compares very similarly to my M235i. I'm far from saying M235i is an inferior car, but by all means: with the Golf 7 R (especially the 4Motion, DCT version I have), VAG have managed to create an absolutely unique car; perhaps the best one they've ever made (can't say for sure, as I've never had any other VW or Audi model)...

Piotr
Very good. Not sure about the best. The original diesel T-Reg monster and big engine Phaeton come to mind. Some of Dr. P's high end engineering projects were top notch.

For those R owners, how's your service experience been? I remember when I had the T-Reg they saw so few of them at the dealer they didn't really know what they were doing back then.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #82
wigit
Rep
Drives: M2 on order

Golf R is a great allrounder, other hatches may be more focused but you can easily live with it day to day, where it shows its class is in the damp or wet especially on a track or on the Isle on Man TT course

Currently I have 3 sat out of the house, wife has a 5 door dsg and I have a tuned 3 door dsg and my Estate arrived last week

M2 was never going to be my daily and I'll be honest the R probably does the humdrum better so original plan was to keep the three door and the M2

Got a lease deal to good to refuse on an Estate so the tuned one will be going in the next few months. Personally I would never buy one again and its a car I would only rent

Much as I like the R it has never felt special, not even from the drivers seat, the M2 i went out in did

Current M3/4 has never really pushed my buttons
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #83
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigit
Golf R is a great allrounder, other hatches may be more focused but you can easily live with it day to day, where it shows its class is in the damp or wet especially on a track or on the Isle on Man TT course

Currently I have 3 sat out of the house, wife has a 5 door dsg and I have a tuned 3 door dsg and my Estate arrived last week

M2 was never going to be my daily and I'll be honest the R probably does the humdrum better so original plan was to keep the three door and the M2

Got a lease deal to good to refuse on an Estate so the tuned one will be going in the next few months. Personally I would never buy one again and its a car I would only rent

Much as I like the R it has never felt special, not even from the drivers seat, the M2 i went out in did

Current M3/4 has never really pushed my buttons
You still live on the island now? Former Port St Mary myself
      07-12-2016, 05:45 AM   #84
OneM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
You give me a twisty set of roads, and good luck to a 1M/M235i, TTRS, A45 AMG, Golf R. None of them would keep up.

I don't think so buddy.. not the ttrs n 1M at least. Do consider the tyres that the renault comes with
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 06:13 AM   #85
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Golf R:
-Price
-Practicality
-Functionality
-On rails(Better take the train then)

M2(coming from a 1M and having had Audi S3/Impreza GTT)
-Fun
-Pleasure
-Power
-Excitement balance/roadholding
-Sound
-Looks
-Appearance
-Speciality/Special Feel

Must I go on.

Cheers
Robin
Many of the pluses you mention for the M2 are purely subjective categories. Nothing wrong with being an M2 fanboy, but there are plenty of other very nice cars to drive as well. I do realize this is a BMW forum though.

There is a bang for the buck charm in the Golf R especially when you consider the same drivetrain combo is in Audis costing almost $20k more. The Corvette also fits into the bang for the buck category too and can out drive the M2. I think it all depends on perspective though.

And the M2 is also in the bang for the buck category when you compare it to the M3/4. However some people will say it's not a true M car simply because it doesn't have an S coded engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #86
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneM View Post
I don't think so buddy.. not the ttrs n 1M at least. Do consider the tyres that the renault comes with
Consider the price tag, power/torque difference. RS275 lap times beat or come within 1-3 seconds of the above cars on dozens of tracks, with a 50kw and 80-140nm difference. It shows how great of a handling car the renault, it doesn't get internationally praised as one of the best handling car for no reason.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:13 AM   #87
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Consider the price tag, power/torque difference. RS275 lap times beat or come within 1-3 seconds of the above cars on dozens of tracks, with a 50kw and 80-140nm difference. It shows how great of a handling car the renault, it doesn't get internationally praised as one of the best handling car for no reason.
Agree the RS275 is a good car and quick round the track, but it doesn't match German build/reliability. Plus it feels like an outright tin can. You get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:13 AM   #88
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Agree the RS275 is a good car and quick round the track, but it doesn't match German build/reliability. Plus it feels like an outright tin can. You get what you pay for.
You always pay for what you get. Ford Focus RS, great car but lacking in interior, if it has the same interior quality of BMW, Audi and Mercedes? It would be the same price.

"French" cars have always had a build/reliability stigma, however, the Renault Megane haven't really had any major issues, they've all been very reliable and well received.

Great thing about living in this day and age is the large variety of affordable sports cars (or "hot hatches")!! 10 years ago the VW R32 and Civic type R was the "king of hot hatches" the segment have grown alot, which gave us alot more options.
Appreciate 0