BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > 2021 M2C Fault Code(s) 138102. Exhaust flap, activation: short circuit to ground

07-17-2023, 01:38 AM   #1
beefnamaka
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

2021 M2C Fault Code(s) 138102. Exhaust flap, activation: short circuit to ground

Hi all, first post here, apologies if this thread is in the wrong section. I was hoping to get some advice RE: a few fault codes that have surfaced during an inspection of a 2021 M2C.

I'm in the market for an M2C, a nice example (2021, HS) came up recently at a local BMW dealership. I organised a pre-purchase inspection, and everything checked out really well except for some fault codes that came up during the diagnostic scan. The codes were:

138102 - Exhaust flap, activation: short circuit to ground
138A02 - Exhaust flap 2, activation: short circuit to ground
S0219 - Communication not possible with amplifier
S0222 - Communication not possible with active sound design

I've asked to the dealership to investigate + fix these. They claim that there is no issue with the amp or sound system, but the codes will remain present for the life of the car. They are also still investigating the exhaust flap codes.

I don't know much about the technical side BMWs, particularly not on a car this modern, so wanted to get some advice here. What could these codes mean? Could they indicate more severe issues? Should they stop me from purchasing an otherwise good car? Any feedback or further information would be great!

Thank you in advance,
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 11:37 AM   #2
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

"the codes will remain present for the life of the car" is complete BS.

"S" codes are not real codes from the car. They come up when ISTA adds them in due to various reasons. In this case those S codes are meaningless. You can simply do another scan that talks to those modules. It may be that the previous owner added an active sound design canceling harness.

The other codes for exhaust will come up when there's an aftermarket exhaust or simply the exhaust flaps are disconnected (to force them open). It doesn't trigger a check engine light because it's not too serious of a code. It's really easy to determine if the exhaust flaps are disconnected.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 02:32 PM   #3
beefnamaka
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
"S" codes are not real codes from the car. They come up when ISTA adds them in due to various reasons. In this case those S codes are meaningless. You can simply do another scan that talks to those modules.
Thanks for your reply. Could you elaborate on this part? I'm not quite sure I understand.

I plan on bringing an OBD Adapter and BimmerLink when I inspect the car myself in person. So I'll use those to make sure the dealer has fixed everything.

In either case, it doesn't seem like any of these codes indicates any serious issues?
Appreciate 0