BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Aftermarket Suspension: KW HAS vs Dinan HAS vs Coilovers?

01-04-2023, 08:08 PM   #1
zcp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 M3, 23 Ariya, 23 Pro-4X

Aftermarket Suspension: KW HAS vs Dinan HAS vs Coilovers?

Hey Everyone,

I’m trying to decide between a few suspension options for my 2018 M2.

KW HAS kit

Dinan HAS kit

Mperformance Coilovers

Pros and cons of both?

Car is not a daily driver but I don’t want a bouncy ride.

Thanks!
Attached Images

01-04-2023, 08:43 PM   #2
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
MSS HAS springs here. I went through the same back and forth just recently; springs vs HAS vs coils. Man if you aren't tracking the car then skip the springs and coils and get the HAS. Don't let any dude on these forums try and tell you that you're an idiot for not dropping 3 grand on coils. Ask them if they're donating to your GoFundMe page for the additional cheese for coils. The HAS are more than capable and compliant for street use. I can tell that these MSS HAS springs have made the ride noticeably more compliant. HAS all day baby. Now it's just a matter of which HAS you want and that depends on how far you wanna drop it. I would get a HAS kit that can get all 4 corners to a minimum of 595mm or 600mm. These are sitting right at 595/600 and they're perfect.

Side note. You absolutely will need spacers if you drop it to the above specifications. It shapes the look when you run 7.5-12mm spacers. The pic I provided is 10mm on all 4 corners.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 08:47 PM   #3
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
I would stay away from most if not all HAS kits…they will prematurely wear out your OEM shocks.

Coilovers without a doubt- they will not only lower the car, but should improve both DD and track experience by allowing you to set your own damping/rebound settings as well.

MPS is a super solid choice, but they aren’t easy to adjust on the fly like Bilstein B16…thus the latter was my choice
      01-04-2023, 08:53 PM   #4
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Side note. You absolutely will need spacers if you drop it to the above specifications. It shapes the look when you run 7.5-12mm spacers. The pic I provided is 10mm on all 4 corners.
Fully agreed with this advise- you will need spacers, unless you prefer the tucked in look. Careful going over 10mm, you might start to rub…

PS Turner Motorsport makes hubcentric spacers…probably the most recommended spacers out there
      01-04-2023, 08:54 PM   #5
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
I would stay away from most if not all HAS kits…they will prematurely wear out your OEM shocks.

Coilovers without a doubt- they will not only lower the car, but should improve both DD and track experience by allowing you to set your own damping/rebound settings as well.

MPS is a super solid choice, but they aren't easy to adjust on the fly like Bilstein B16…thus the latter was my choice
I have personally driven on lowering springs my entire life now and for 5 different cars and approximately 400,000 miles between those vehicles. I have yet to have a single issue with shocks on any of those vehicles; 2 of which being BMWs. OP you will be just fine on HAS springs. Let the masses come forward with evidence that suggests their shocks were full on blown after tens of thousands of miles of spring use. I'd bet you won't find more than a couple on this entire forum with a bonafide report from their shop indicating the root cause was lowering springs or evidence of payment for a new system after the fact. Group think on here can be real. No offense, it just is what it is when you get on forums like this and look for confirmation bias.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 09:08 PM   #6
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Don’t dispute your experience in any way…you make valid point about HAS given where you’re coming from.

Other/some F8x members experienced (thinking of M3/M4 crowds) the total opposite w/ HAS kits, and that made me shy away from them.

However, my key point is, there are many forum vendors that can sell you a mid-entry level coilover kit for a few hundred more vs. some HAS kits at msrp, especially if you wait for some deals or holidays discounts. Given all the pros that come with coilover kits vs a static spring kit, it made sense to me. It may make sense to OP as well

Sure, a HAS kit will always be more cost effective, but sometimes you do get what you pay for.
      01-04-2023, 09:31 PM   #7
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
OP, despite some subtle bias shown on the previous posts, you inquired re: pro/cons of HAS vs coilover.

I will try to help, so here’s some reading material

https://www.autoworks.com.au/blog/29...-struts-shocks

Good luck.
      01-05-2023, 03:52 PM   #8
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I've been very happy with my MPerf Coilovers - on the softer settings it feels almost like stock on the street and is very compliant - the only issue is with the occasional rubbing on huge dips, but that's not the coilover's fault. On the harder settings, it works well for the track (but for serious track work, you'd get something like Ohlins, but they are way too stiff for the street).

That being said, if you never intend on tracking, HAS should be more than adequate. If you blow out your shocks, you just replace them (they're relatively cheap, and even cheaper if you source them from FCPEuro and get lifetime warranty).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 09:46 PM   #9
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

You get what you pay for here.

If it’s a purely aesthetic move, HAS is probably fine.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00