BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition. Progress...but in the wrong direction?

04-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #45
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
You guys are killing me with the unused button non-sense. Have you sat in a modern day Porsche?! It's where unused buttons go to die.

IMO the button on the m2c looks more like a button that can be pressed and the ones on the p-car look like they can be place holders if that makes any sense. Also, on second look, it looks like there already is a button to toggle the parking sensors!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #46
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
You make some excellent points.

Just on paper, I don't think going from 370 to 400 hp sounds like a bad thing. However, when considering that abrupt power delivery the S55 has taken some critic for, then maybe one could worry about it. My guess is that BMW has improved on some of those things. For one the power is lower than in the M3/M4, and I also think some of that snap over steer th M3/m4 suffered from, isn't all from engine related, but from the chassis. They didn't hit a home run with the M3 chassis from what I've read, watched and heard, at least not at first. I believe the M3 Competition has gotten much better reviews in that regard, and that should bode well for the M2 competitions. It goes to show you that they continually improve on these cars. So if they can take the M3 from so so to good. Then they surely can take the M2 from good to excellent. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they made the car better all around.
I agree. Aesthetics aside, it is in BMWs nature to improve on mechanical aspect with each iteration as they have proven. Be it EPS, throttle calibration or exhaust sound.

Look at the bright side, so what if the S55 retained it's characteristics? The best mod is driver right foot mod
The added weight is somewhat disheartening, but a few lightening mods later you probably won't even remember that.

I'm in the camp where I don't consider engine tuning a necessity in a 3500lb 300+whp car. So whether it's 365 or 405hp, it's more than enough for me.

Good luck on the decision OP! When you get it, be sure to give us a review.
Appreciate 1
norMcal284.50
      04-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #47
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
On the m2c:

I like the engine and cooling system, the bigger brakes, the red start button, and the m colors on the seat belt.
I like the shape of the seats but i don't love the color in the perforations.
I dislike the front end (grill and bumper and the three slots in the middle) and i really dislike that huge muffler hanging off the back. I also dislike that unused button but maybe I can retro something onto that like turning off the rear parking sensors. I can live with the sound.

I don't need to have too much power on the twisties but i wouldn't mind having some pull on the straights. The kind of pull that makes it so your eyes can't focus well.
I think you’ve got enough information to make your decision. This thread has now become one like all others
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #48
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostspoon View Post
I think you’ve got enough information to make your decision. This thread has now become one like all others
...and be honest with yourself about what you really want to do with the car and how you'll really use it. It's human nature to come to these forums, see what everyone else is doing and buying and adding, and to want to have those same things. But we don't all use the car the same way, or have the same requirements. If you're honest with yourself and avoid the temptation to keep up with the Joneses, this decision will be easier.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      04-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #49
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Your dreams will come true as soon as you get your "old" new M2, understanding why this car was made for and why the new M2C comes with a huge challenge to over pass it... good fun and keep us posted
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower_FS View Post
Good luck on the decision OP! When you get it, be sure to give us a review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostspoon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
...and be honest with yourself about what you really want to do with the car and how you'll really use it. It's human nature to come to these forums, see what everyone else is doing and buying and adding, and to want to have those same things. But we don't all use the car the same way, or have the same requirements. If you're honest with yourself and avoid the temptation to keep up with the Joneses, this decision will be easier.
I think I received some good information here. I have my own careful analysis of what I want but i find the forums helpful in the way others offer different insights and sometimes i find out things that i may have overlooked. I think I will leave it up to fate. I'll try and jump on a 2018 if i can find the build that i want with a reasonable discount. If i'm already too late for that then i'll just get the comp. Hopefully i didn't hurt my chances on both cars by waiting this long. Either way I'll post a review on why i switched from my 240i in under a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #50
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:

IMO the button on the m2c looks more like a button that can be pressed and the ones on the p-car look like they can be place holders if that makes any sense. Also, on second look, it looks like there already is a button to toggle the parking sensors!
I agree - it's less noticeable in the P-car (my 981 didn't have all the buttons, and besides from looking "empty" compared to fully loaded versions, it didn't look like functional buttons had lost their respective pictorial representations).

This is the only true eyesore to me on the car - more so than the kidneys (if you don't like them) or the muffler (which shouldn't be as visible as it is). And that's because you're in the cabin a lot more than you are at the front or rear of it, on the outside.
Poochie9099.00
      04-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #51
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I agree - it's less noticeable in the P-car (my 981 didn't have all the buttons, and besides from looking "empty" compared to fully loaded versions, it didn't look like functional buttons had lost their respective pictorial representations).

This is the only true eyesore to me on the car - more so than the kidneys (if you don't like them) or the muffler (which shouldn't be as visible as it is). And that's because you're in the cabin a lot more than you are at the front or rear of it, on the outside.
This is a very simple fix. Find the part number of those buttons on getbmwparts (the version that we have on M3/M4), order and replace. It's something pretty cheap most likely. I wouldn't bother with it but if it bothers you that much there is a solution. You won't be able to press the suspension button tho, or nothing will happen even if you can
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      04-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #52
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:

That blank space is for the upcoming passenger ejector!
dmboone254970.50
Poochie9099.00
      04-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #53
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Aka, if HIS/HER arse doesn't fit - seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-yaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!

Last edited by dmboone25; 04-19-2018 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Equal opportunity ejecting
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4449.00
      04-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #54
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Aka, if HER arse doesn't fit - seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-yaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!

Lmao!!
      04-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #55
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

lol instant boost by lightening!
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      04-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #56
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower_FS View Post
Quote:

I would greatly appreciate any insight from people who extensively drove the 1m and the m2 and the m4. I know some of you guys can read between the lines of all these specs on paper. There's no doubt that the m2 comp is the upgraded car but if it has become too close to the m4 then i'd rather just get a m4 zcp because those too can be found with a discount.

P.S. I don't care what I can sell the car for later but i do care about what i'll be paying for the car now.
To me, the biggest selling point for M2C is the extra power.
The styling doesn't attract me (I don't even care for the LCI changes inside and out), certainly not the sound.
What intrigues me is updates to the handling and power.

But we can't know that verdict until it's tested, and even by then it's one reviewer's word against another.
Who knows how you'll like it when you do get to drive it for the first time.

What I do know for sure is this.

Drove the M4 numerous times on/off track and it's always been a handful with S55 characteristics.
Abrupt power delivery, hard to put the power down and tail happy.

The current M2 however, is so well balanced in it's power/weight/chassis.
It's so easy to rotate and steers very neutral on the track.
The power is just right, not too much not too little for the chassis.
It doesn't try to kill you but it knows you want to go around corners very fast.
It's not meant to be a power monster, but it does what it was intended to do so very well.

So ask yourself, are these characteristics what you're looking for in a car?
Or you'll see yourself immediately getting the itch to tune it and up the power?
Nailed it!

My thoughts on the M3/M4 characters you brought up...

-Abrupt acceleration is due to initial boost lag followed by big boost, thereby giving it an even greater sense of power than it already has over the N55. Not my personal preference on power delivery but each to his own.

-Snap over steer is at least partially due to heavier front causing the rear to be less planted. Hopefully M2's shorter wheelbase will make it more gradual?

OP, the evolution from M2 to M2C has taken a step forward in overall acceleration and a step back as a momentum car. Pick which you cherish more and go with that. Think of the M2C as an M2.5
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #57
StephanieDiane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 M2

Quote:

Now, now boys.....Or HIS.
Equal opportunity ejection.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      04-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #58
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieDiane View Post
Now, now boys.....Or HIS.
Equal opportunity ejection.
Absolutely - I will update my previous post accordingly.

The reply was specific to ChrisK because he's been saying that he will only get the optional Sport seats if HIS arse will fit into them.

04-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #59
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Absolutely - I will update my previous post accordingly.

The reply was specific to ChrisK because he's been saying that he will only get the optional Sport seats if HIS arse will fit into them.

Yeah I was talking about my rump, my wife's rump fits in anything-- eh seats. :
dmboone254970.50
      04-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #60
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Yeah I was talking about my rump, my wife's rump fits in anything-- eh seats. :
Just listened to the sound clip in your sig. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
      04-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #61
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Manual gearbox optimization: that's something I also noticed when reading the M2 Competition press kit:
"The new BMW M2 Competition comes as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which stands out with its compact design and low weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fibre friction lining enhances shift comfort. An engagement speed control function, which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine's revs on upshifts, makes gear changes even smoother. This also lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track. Switching off the DSC deactivates the engagement speed control function. Wet-sump lubrication prevents any sloshing of the transmission oil and ensures all components benefit from an efficient supply of oil."
In an early M2 test review some US journalist mentioned "rubbery feel" about the 6MT shifting. And those words spread like a virus among car journalists: "Great manual gearbox, yeah, but a bit of a rubbery feel though".

OK, if you drive a Cayman GT4 and M2 back-to-back, you'll notice that shifting the GT4 gearbox is superior (not gonna raise the topic of the often criticized long 2nd gear ratio of the GT4). Otherwise, IMHO that "rubbery feel" argument is a bit placebo-effect nitpicking.

But, anyways, it seems that BMW M had a closer look into it.

Technology moves on. With the M2 Competition you got the latest BMW technology on offer.
Artemis I think that this carbon fiber friction lining was also mentioned when M2 was originally released. It's on every BMW M2 landing site describing the 6MT:
"Designed to be both light and compact, the M 6-speed manual transmission is synonymous with intelligent lightweight construction. Inside the transmission, the new carbon fibre friction lining in the baulk rings provides more comfortable gear shifts, and a dry sump lubrication system ensures a more efficient supply of oil."
So nothing changed.
Yes - I was just about to say the same thing that the original M2 had a "new carbon-fibre friction lining" in the manual gearbox. Jeez, where is the US BBB when we need them!
      04-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #62
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
You guys are killing me with the unused button non-sense. Have you sat in a modern day Porsche?! It's where unused buttons go to die.
You are so right about this. Before we'd secured an LCI allocation we hit the Phoenix auto show and spent a lot of time at the Porsche display and I couldn't believe how many dead buttons they left in those cars. I've seen a Porsche forum thread, you've probably seen it too, where the guys have printed out homemade labels to cover those buttons and they're mimicking all the gadgets in the Bond cars like front machine guns, oil slick, eject seat. It's funny, but I remember thinking at the show that it seemed like Porsche mailed it in in that department.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #63
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Quote:
You are so right about this. Before we'd secured an LCI allocation we hit the Phoenix auto show and spent a lot of time at the Porsche display and I couldn't believe how many dead buttons they left in those cars. I've seen a Porsche forum thread, you've probably seen it too, where the guys have printed out homemade labels to cover those buttons and they're mimicking all the gadgets in the Bond cars like front machine guns, oil slick, eject seat. It's funny, but I remember thinking at the show that it seemed like Porsche mailed it in in that department.
It's Porsche's marketing strategy to tempt buyers to check as many option boxes as possible
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 2
dmboone254970.50
      04-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #64
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCarrot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It's Porsche's marketing strategy to tempt buyers to check as many option boxes as possible

True story; you could spend hours online playing with the different options.. Or so I heard..
Appreciate 2
dmboone254970.50
bobert858.50
      04-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #65
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

They don't offer a F80 switch without the dead button..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #66
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:

I plan on making my extra button STEALTH MODE. License plate flips to a "burner" plate, tail lights shut off, counter measures shoot out the dual exhaust.