BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Snow on the truck lid

04-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #1
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Snow on the truck lid

Have owned hatchbacks for years and this M2 is my first coupe.
We have been having a winter storm.
So, is there a trick to getting into the trunk and keeping the snow out? I guess rule #1 is don't keep your scraper back there!
Almost all the snow and ice ended up in the truck and I literally had to shovel it out!

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I have used my gloves to just push the snow off the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Best solution is to move to where it doesn't snow
Appreciate 4
Aronis2270.00
AndrewC198910931.00
grl.racr382.50
      04-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Have owned hatchbacks for years and this M2 is my first coupe.
We have been having a winter storm.
So, is there a trick to getting into the trunk and keeping the snow out? I guess rule #1 is don't keep your scraper back there!
Almost all the snow and ice ended up in the truck and I literally had to shovel it out!

Yeah, unfortunately, that is the weather that we have to suck up here in the North.
Do not use scrapers to remove snow and ice on the trunk lid. Using it on glass with proper method and angle is known to be okay but not the painted surface.

Best practice is to remove the snow on the area where will affect your sight for driving (windshield, side mirrors, rear and side windows) and just lightly use your sleeve or soft brush to remove now pile on the hood/ roof/ trunk lid. Do not use brush to touch the paint coat as it is know to leave micro scratches on clear coat of the paint.

Then park your car into the garage once you get back home or work (if your work place has indoor parking lot) and leave it there for all snow and ice to melt naturally.

If you can afford your time, you might find this video helpful;

However, if you want to save your time, I recommend you to get one of those windshield snow cover to get your windshield protected from snow and ice and simply remove the cover and save your time to removing all snow.
https://noblerate.com/best-windshield-snow-covers/

I dont know if there is cover for the trunk lid... but maybe you can use those windshield covers to cover the lid if you do some modification??
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Yes, just use your hands to push off excess snow then open as little as possible to grab the scraper. Any snow that goes in then should mainly be in the area around the trunk opening and just drain off.
      04-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Yes, just use your hands to push off excess snow then open as little as possible to grab the scraper. Any snow that goes in then should mainly be in the area around the trunk opening and just drain off.

Yes it just slides off the glass and straight in. I never use a brush on the paint so even if you get it off the glass the trunk lid snow slides straight in!
Maybe there is a way to hang a tray inside the trunk to catch the snow before it hits the carpet. Sounds like overkill but I usually carry around my work tools in the trunk and that includes pen and ink original drawings!
Looks like I will be changing my habits!

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

This is another option: Tasteful wing spoiler.

While creating a significant amount of downforce, even on the snow, it also functions as a snow shelter for the trunk. The high-end ones, made of Real Carbon Fiber and Magnesium, can be detached and installed on the front bumper and used as a snow plow.
Appreciate 6
      04-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post

[IMG]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/r9d6RBD85pk/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]

While creating a significant amount of downforce, even on the snow, it also functions as a snow shelter for the trunk. The high-end ones, made of Real Carbon Fiber and Magnesium, can be detached and installed on the front bumper and used as a snow plow.
      04-17-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

You could check the weather forecast and take your brush inside the night before....maybe even turn an alert or two on your phone. Leave it behind the front seat...etc
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Yes it just slides off the glass and straight in. I never use a brush on the paint so even if you get it off the glass the trunk lid snow slides straight in!
Maybe there is a way to hang a tray inside the trunk to catch the snow before it hits the carpet. Sounds like overkill but I usually carry around my work tools in the trunk and that includes pen and ink original drawings!
Looks like I will be changing my habits!
How do you get the rest of the snow off the car if you never use the brush on the paint?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
How do you get the rest of the snow off the car if you never use the brush on the paint?
I have driven MINI's for the last 15 years. Just scrape of the windows and you are good to go (mainly). Occasionally I would use a snow shovel and take off all but 2" off the hood.
In the M2 you sit lower and the hood is higher. It is another world.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #12
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post

Think I'll build a garage....

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
Bravo007
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series e82 125i

Extremely convenient

I have used it and its extremely convenience. However in winters my cars backup camera gets foggy hence do you have any suggestions which one should i buy. Currently saw few of them here https://toptentech.net/best-wireless...amera-reviews/ but it seems to be confusing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Yeah, unfortunately, that is the weather that we have to suck up here in the North.
Do not use scrapers to remove snow and ice on the trunk lid. Using it on glass with proper method and angle is known to be okay but not the painted surface.

Best practice is to remove the snow on the area where will affect your sight for driving (windshield, side mirrors, rear and side windows) and just lightly use your sleeve or soft brush to remove now pile on the hood/ roof/ trunk lid. Do not use brush to touch the paint coat as it is know to leave micro scratches on clear coat of the paint.

Then park your car into the garage once you get back home or work (if your work place has indoor parking lot) and leave it there for all snow and ice to melt naturally.

If you can afford your time, you might find this video helpful;

However, if you want to save your time, I recommend you to get one of those windshield snow cover to get your windshield protected from snow and ice and simply remove the cover and save your time to removing all snow.
https://noblerate.com/best-windshield-snow-covers/

I dont know if there is cover for the trunk lid... but maybe you can use those windshield covers to cover the lid if you do some modification??
Appreciate 0