BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M Drivers Package?

04-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

M Drivers Package?

I am so sorry that I checked that box.

All that it's been is a runaround from BMW.

Ordered a 2018 last Sep. Took delivery in Dec.

Started by asking dealer when I would get to schedule my package. They said they play no part in it. Just be patient & eventually BMW will contact me. Sounds like bullshit to me.

So, I wait. February... nothing. March... nothing. So, I call BMW & they tell me that I have to wait until they mail me a voucher. Mail? What century is this?

So, this month I get said voucher in the mail. I call in to schedule. Oh, wait. We need to validate your voucher. OK, ask away. No, we need a couple of business days to validate. WTF? Again, what century is BMW operating in?
OK, I guess...

It's been a week... no call.

At this point I just want my $2500 back. So sorry I checked that box.
Appreciate 3
      04-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
E36toF87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 MG MT

In my experience and to the best of my knowledge it takes 6 months or so after delivery before you get the voucher, so have patience young grasshopper. I'm upgrading mine to a two day M school in October.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 11:48 PM   #3
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
\
It's been a week... no call.

At this point I just want my $2500 back. So sorry I checked that box.
I feel your pain... however, I took my two teenage kids to the BMW driving school in Thermal a couple of months ago, and we had the time of our life! My kids learned a lot about safe driving, they even had them slam the brakes on a wet track, to put the car into a skid, and taught them how to respond if/when your car goes into a skid... it was both educational and an amazing experience!

My wife and I took a two hour course (that was all that was available for adults that particular day), but we plan to take the M Performance class very soon! Instructors were knowledgeable and very friendly!

I'd guess that while the wait is irritating, when you finally end up going, it'll be a memorable experience!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #4
MPOWERE9
POWERFUL1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 AW 6M MR MStripe

Garage List
1973 Bmw/3.0CSi  [0.00]
My local dealer orders most all their M cars in with this option. I told them I will give them $500 or so for the certificate and they can give it to someone that doesn't want or have time for the package, but buy the car anyway. I would love to do the class.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #5
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
It's been known for quite a while that the package is a rip-off. You can get an actual M School day (not the same as the thing you get from the Driver's Package) for less if you're a BMW CCA member.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:19 AM   #6
d3rtyF87
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2

It's probably already validated. Happened to me. Just call them back and schedule a day.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Never got that call back. Called them & got scheduled for a Friday in June.

Disappointed that lodging wasn't included. So, those that have gone to Thermal, where did you stay? Right now looking at Embassy Suites in old town La Quinta. Looks to be dining choices & a taproom conveniently located.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Never got that call back. Called them & got scheduled for a Friday in June.

Disappointed that lodging wasn't included. So, those that have gone to Thermal, where did you stay? Right now looking at Embassy Suites in old town La Quinta. Looks to be dining choices & a taproom conveniently located.
We stayed at the Westin Desert Willow Villas Hotel in Palm Desert...

Did you upgrade to 1-Day M School? It should be a better class than the M Driver's Program that comes with the M Driver's Package...its confusing AF for a reason - because its a money maker for BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Suggestion, I would upgrade to the 2 day M School, includes hotel and food and is a much better value for the dollar, substantially more track time and you spend day 2 on the South Palm driving a high speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
boostaddict305
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I had to wait forever took about 6 months I used the voucher towards the 2 day m school and it was a blast
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #11
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Suggestion, I would upgrade to the 2 day M School, includes hotel and food and is a much better value for the dollar, substantially more track time and you spend day 2 on the South Palm driving a high speed.
Heard you have to do ADVANCED M School to get to drive on the South Palms circuit...2 Day school is just around the "auto-x" track and skid pad
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
It's been known for quite a while that the package is a rip-off. You can get an actual M School day (not the same as the thing you get from the Driver's Package) for less if you're a BMW CCA member.
True and that's definitely what I would do.

But I guess it would also allow someone to amortize that cost over the life of the car

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
TProfit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 competition

OMG this is so confusing lol

I just purchased a 1 day M driving course at Thermal in August as a birthday present to myself. But now I don't know what that means really, was that a good buy or should I have gone with one of the other options I've now heard about. Also what is the M track day where half a day is $250???

Also how do I get the BMW CCA discount? There was no where on the registration form to add the membership number.

Sorry for all the noob questions. I'm new to the BMW world.
      06-24-2018, 10:51 PM   #14
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Heard you have to do ADVANCED M School to get to drive on the South Palms circuit...2 Day school is just around the "auto-x" track and skid pad
I was just at Thermal over the weekend for M Driver's package.

M2 was slalom, timed short track (on BMW's lot) and a lane change exercise.

The skid pad was in M3.

Did laps on South Palm in M3 and M4.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #15
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
I was just at Thermal over the weekend for M Driver's package.

M2 was slalom, timed short track (on BMW's lot) and a lane change exercise.

The skid pad was in M3.

Did laps on South Palm in M3 and M4.
You positive you did laps on the South Palm road track? That is OUTSIDE of the BMW Performance area...where the skid pad and BMW mini-track are..

I upgraded to the 1-Day M School and we did NOT get to do laps on the South Palms track last year. They told me only the Advanced M School got to do actual hot laps on the real Thermal racetracks as well
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #16
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TProfit View Post
OMG this is so confusing lol

I just purchased a 1 day M driving course at Thermal in August as a birthday present to myself. But now I don't know what that means really, was that a good buy or should I have gone with one of the other options I've now heard about. Also what is the M track day where half a day is $250???

Also how do I get the BMW CCA discount? There was no where on the registration form to add the membership number.

Sorry for all the noob questions. I'm new to the BMW world.
Call the Performance Center and see if they can apply the BMWCCA discount (or refund or cancel and rebook).

If you purchased the 1 Day M School, that is different than the M Drivers Package that comes with M cars
Appreciate 1
TProfit81.50
      06-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #17
TProfit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 competition

Called the school and gave them my number and the credit is being applied to my account. Awesome.
      06-26-2018, 02:17 AM   #18
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
You positive you did laps on the South Palm road track? That is OUTSIDE of the BMW Performance area...where the skid pad and BMW mini-track are..

I upgraded to the 1-Day M School and we did NOT get to do laps on the South Palms track last year. They told me only the Advanced M School got to do actual hot laps on the real Thermal racetracks as well
Absolutely positive.

We did lane changing, skid pad & short track (in M2s) on the BMW grounds, but laps were done on South Palm in both M3 and M4.

Yes, it is outside of the BMW compound. Just a few hundred yards down a side street & onto the track.

Racing down South Palm back stretch in an M4:

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #19
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely positive.

We did lane changing, skid pad & short track (in M2s) on the BMW grounds, but laps were done on South Palm in both M3 and M4.

Yes, it is outside of the BMW compound. Just a few hundred yards down a side street & onto the track.

Racing down South Palm back stretch in an M4:

WOW...now I'm really pissed because they told us that wasn't possible unless you took the EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE Advanced M School. Don't think I'd do another Performance Center event unless it was ULTRA-discounted
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #20
Spaceman_Spliff
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

I know this thread's old now, but my M2 is entering production and this is a box I checked. I live in Denver, but I don't want to have to travel for this. Leaning towards removing it from by build before its too late, thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #21
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spliff View Post
I know this thread's old now, but my M2 is entering production and this is a box I checked. I live in Denver, but I don't want to have to travel for this. Leaning towards removing it from by build before its too late, thoughts?
REMOVE IT
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2021, 09:19 AM   #22
element241
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spliff View Post
100% remove it
Appreciate 1