03-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

LCI Cluster

Just wanted to see everyone elses thoughts,

i understand the occasional lighting issue, but do people actually prefer the LCI Cluster and dials? they look so small and hard to read, also in my opinion they don't add class they look cheap and tacky.

i mean this is just my opinion but they could have done a better job, i much prefer the pre LCI, they have an element of retro class about them, the LCI look rushed and unfinished.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
Alexxxx
Alex
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E36 Compact 318ti

Pre lci vs lci
I prefer classic grey dials non lci (exclusive for m cars)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Given a choice, I'd take the newer LCI version. I have a hard time seeing the pre-LCI ones, and that's more important to me than any of the gripes you called out (which I also don't necessarily agree with).
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I had the chance to take my dealer's last 2017 M2 allocation or the first 2018 allocation. One of the reasons I waited an extra month for the LCI is that the gauges are much clearer and easier to read - plus I prefer the simple, but more elegant (Did I say that? ), design. In this case, the white-on-black form follows function, because there's no function if you can't read them at speed.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
I was considering doing the retrofit but in the end decided against it for a few reasons.

1. The lighting is white and white only. It will not match the rest of the orange back lighting at night. It is also more difficult to tell when your headlights are on. You have to look for the little green light as opposed to just seeing that the gauges are lit. I hate that, I wish it was white during the day and orange at night. That would have been perfect.

2. It requires coding. Unless you know the coding and can do it yourself it will always require finding and paying someone to recode it after an istep update or something similar. I feel like this would get annoying and expensive.

3. It's $1100 for a purely aesthetic upgrade. The new gauge isn't digital or anything. Hard to justify the cost.

4. The MPH Pre Lci cluster looks great because it has the smaller circle with KPH shown in the middle:

The LCI one with only MPH displayed just looks so empty in comparison:

5. I really like the retro gray look of the old one and think it fits our interiors better than the more modern look.
Appreciate 3
krizze928.00
Alexxxx52.00
      03-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I was considering doing the retrofit but in the end decided against it for a few reasons.

1. The lighting is white and white only. It will not match the rest of the orange back lighting at night. It is also more difficult to tell when your headlights are on. You have to look for the little green light as opposed to just seeing that the gauges are lit. I hate that, I wish it was white during the day and orange at night. That would have been perfect.

2. It requires coding. Unless you know how to code it yourself it will always require finding and paying someone to recode it after an istep update at the dealer. I update my istep 1nce or twice a year so this would get annoying and expensive.

3. It's $1100 for a purely aesthetic upgrade. The new gauge isn't digital or anything. Hard to justify the cost.

4. The MPH Pre Lci cluster looks great because it has the smaller circle with KPH shown in the middle:

[PICTURE]

The LCI one with only MPH displayed just looks so empty in comparison:

[PICTURE]

5. I really like the retro gray look of the old one and think it fits our interiors better than the more modern look.
Could not agree more with this, the LCI one in my eyes just doesn't fit in with the interior at all :
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
i understand the occasional lighting issue, but do people actually prefer the LCI Cluster and dials? they look so small and hard to read, also in my opinion they don't add class they look cheap and tacky.
i mean this is just my opinion but they could have done a better job, i much prefer the pre LCI, they have an element of retro class about them, the LCI look rushed and unfinished.
The new black panel instrument cluster is an improvement from a functional point of view: better readability + bigger digital speedometer (OBC).

On the other hand I read some reporting that the black panel is more prone to swirls when you clean it.

Design is a personal thing.

Talking from experience, I never understood how BMW M overlooked the questionable lighting under lower lighting conditions issue of the pre-LCI M2. This instrument cluster should not have been released to the market prior to remedying this poor lighting issue:

as7920597.00
Corinne1171.00
KGun192.00
      03-25-2018, 11:59 PM   #8
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Lighting issue was improved a little with MY2017 to the point most can accept.

It'd be perfect if someone figure out a way to code the orange/white combo in replacement of full orange or to be on with daylight if necessary.
Attached Images

Alexxxx52.00
      03-26-2018, 12:06 AM   #9
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I prefer the updated look.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Lighting issue was improved a little with MY2017 to the point most can accept.
Is that a fact? What was changed?

I have a my17 as well and Ive never experienced this issue. That being said, even with the issue, Id still do Pre LCI. Looks better with those orange lights. I've got a good enough idea how fast the car and engine is going based off the gear and engine note as well as by looking at nearby traffic.
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      03-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #11
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Pre-LCI. I have my speedo on the digital cluster in the middle. I have no real reason to look at my gauges. I don't need to see the RPM to know when to shift. Just my opinion.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 2
krizze928.00
      03-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

So I'll throw my 2 cents in. Having had both and driven a few thousand miles with each. I can honestly say I prefer the lci look. To me it make the car feel more modern. I'm not the old school retro type of guy. I personally don't know bmw history but I thought the orange gauges were ugly. So far I have had no issues with lci setup it is expensive for what you get but I've thrown away way more money on stupid stuff like handbags for the warden (wife) lol.
      03-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
I can honestly say I prefer the lci look. To me it make the car feel more modern. ...but I've thrown away way more money on stupid stuff like handbags for the warden (wife) lol.
lol, +1 I hear you brother. But hey...I'm just one more Chanel away from an RPK CF roof and the Motorsport24 hood!!

Besides...this (pic below) is completely unacceptable...I'm shocked that passed QC in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
I can honestly say I prefer the lci look. To me it make the car feel more modern. ...but I've thrown away way more money on stupid stuff like handbags for the warden (wife) lol.
lol, +1 I hear you brother. But hey...I'm just one more Chanel away from an RPK CF roof and the Motorsport24 hood!!

Besides...this (pic below) is completely unacceptable...I'm shocked that passed QC in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
[PICTURE]
RKP Roof and spoiler set me back a medium double flap bag lol. I thought I waited a long time back when I bought the car. Chanel bags are no joke I was on a waiting list for over a year for her last bag.
      03-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #15
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:

I think it's all personal preference.

The lighting issue never really bothered me. It's one of the quirks about the car.

I do like how the original gray clusters pay homage to the E46 M3 dials
Appreciate 3
krizze928.00
Alexxxx52.00
      03-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #16
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower_FS View Post
Quote:

I think it's all personal preference.

The lighting issue never really bothered me. It's one of the quirks about the car.

I do like how the original gray clusters pay homage to the E46 M3 dials
[PICTURE]
Love these!! It's a shame we didn't get the light up orange and limiter red lights
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910931.00
Alexxxx52.00
      03-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #17
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Love the LCI cluster - the old one looks... old / dated / too busy - also looks very clean with the car off and at night with the blackout face.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #18
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Love the LCI cluster, HATE HATE HATE how easy it is to scratch. I used a brand new microfiber towel, well lubricated with cleaner, and I now have multiple scratches across my gauges. It's a matte finish so likely impossible to polish out.

Quite frustrated this happened already.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #19
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Love the LCI cluster, HATE HATE HATE how easy it is to scratch. I used a brand new microfiber towel, well lubricated with cleaner, and I now have multiple scratches across my gauges. It's a matte finish so likely impossible to polish out.

Yeah, that is Really annoying. Guys have to resort to compressed air in a can to blow off the dust, but without any physical contact, it leaves a lot to be desired. I didnt realize that wiping it with a quick detailer spray and microfiber leaves scratches too.. What were they thinking when they decided to use this material?! Probably the same folks that thought ASD was desirable.
      03-28-2018, 03:10 AM   #20
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post

Yeah, that is Really annoying. Guys have to resort to compressed air in a can to blow off the dust, but without any physical contact, it leaves a lot to be desired. I didnt realize that wiping it with a quick detailer spray and microfiber leaves scratches too.. What were they thinking when they decided to use this material?! Probably the same folks that thought ASD was desirable.
Probably the same people who helped design the first generation X3
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #21
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

The reasons I like LCI gauge pod are...

1. It is not cluttered with the kph inner ring. I feel this way with all car gauges, not just the M2. It is particularly not necessary in the M2 w/ Exec Pkg because the the speed limit indicator automatically converts kph reading to mph based on GPS location.
2. Bright red needles stand out from off-white indicators, making them easy to glance with downward peripheral vision and not having to actually look down.
3. Larger (albeit still not large enough and still in wrong location) digital speedometer

I had an E36 that has all orange everything. I like that too but I like the LCI theme better.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #22
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
This is a major annoyance, mine is covered in scratches as well after using a brand new soft MF with cleaner. Surely it can’t be acceptable?

Has anyone tried to polish them out or is this a no go?
Appreciate 0