BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 Pricing

07-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #23
BenWM
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

Reading all of these US prices makes me sad and somewhat angry about Australian pricing. Exchange rates and extra shipping certainly doesn't equal double the price!

But yes, I'd imagine around $125,000 drive-away RRP, fully spec'd maybe around $135k.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #24
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

Everything is more expensive in Australia. Even compared to San Diego.

I just had a friend move from San Diego to Melbourne and she is still reeling from how expensive everything is there. Like 40 or 50 grand for a Honda... Nuts.

Should have asked her company for a bigger raise.
      07-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I'd like to see high 50s with low options.

Figure 54k base
LED = $1900
HK = $900
Metallic paint = $550
Cloth seats from M3/4 = $0 option

That would be my car right there. $10k cheaper than new M3 that I'd want, and kind of in same category as used F80 by the time it comes out.

Should be interesting!

P.S. If no CF roof, that might be a deal breaker for me.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT

Last edited by W///; 07-30-2014 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #26
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

In Canada back in 2011 the msrp of the 135i was around 43K$ the 1M was 53600$ and the M3 coupe was around 71700$. Now the M235i is 45K$ and the M4 is 75K$ so maybe 56-57K$ for Canada??
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #27
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
In Canada back in 2011 the msrp of the 135i was around 43K$ the 1M was 53600$ and the M3 coupe was around 71700$. Now the M235i is 45K$ and the M4 is 75K$ so maybe 56-57K$ for Canada??
That's weird. Your M235i costs the same as in the US, but your M4 is $11k more than the US.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 02:20 AM   #28
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
That's weird. Your M235i costs the same as in the US, but your M4 is $11k more than the US.
Standard feature set is a bit different up here but I did the math in another thread and the Canadian M235i comes out as a great value, virtually no exchange rate penalty at all. Hope they do the same for the M2!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:31 AM   #29
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

I think it'll be expensive and NOT have leds or carbon.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #30
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
BMW always choose what they want to sell. They don't like you to buy a F31 they will increase the price to make sure you end up with an X3. Pricing haven't move much over the year on the 1 serie due to variation in currency value. Back in 2008 the 135i was around 35k in usa and 41.5 in Canada and around 43k in Canada in 2013 I don't remember for the 2013 135i in usa but I'm pretty sure the price been catching up quicker. Same goes for the m4 pricing on the m3 coupe hasn't move much over the year.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #31
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes View Post
I think it'll be expensive and NOT have leds or carbon.

honestly i can see all the options on the table and bmw's product managers are probably just figuring out what features to keep, or allow and if it works in their product strategy / matrix.

like DCT, for example. Hypothetically though, lets say they didnt offer it with DCT, but offered it with carbon roof or maybe neither. no DCT would make it obviously positioned lower in the M range and differentiate the m3/m4. or say it doesnt have a carbon roof, or DCT, but its just much cheaper say 49,999 starting so they can call it under 50k

im guessing these smaller items are still on the table. like if it got an m suspension, a n55 tune, wider track, and some flared fenders and say an aluminum hood and front and rear quarterpanels (they have to make new quarter panels anyway since its wider so why not) and was under $50k starting, vs way more base with carbon roof etc. could be a better sell for bmw just to get people into the M range
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #32
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

A M2 will have a CF roof... it is not an added expense, it will be part of the design of the car. It's weight saving will add value to the M2..!

Otherwise, people will just buy a M235i.. & mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #33
hans007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
A M2 will have a CF roof... it is not an added expense, it will be part of the design of the car. It's weight saving will add value to the M2..!

Otherwise, people will just buy a M235i.. & mod.
i just dont think they will necessarily have it. like that m2 spyshot in the other thread, with the orange car has an exposed non CF roof and that seems sort of like a hint.

i would think, for a lot of people a $50k m2, with a tuned n55, some aluminum fenders, a wider track and sportier suspension , sportier seats, and LSD , and maybe DCT (i could really see them putting the m235i racing 8ZF with the more agressive shift map that that comes with instead too, to get the cost lower) and say some M style 19" rims would be enough for them to call it an M. i mean $50k is only $7k more than a 235i. given the LSD is $3k by itself, i just cant see them being able to build it for a price much less and properly segmented away from m3/m4 while adding all the good m3/m4 parts. if it ends up with every thing from the m4, and just a different engine, it would seem like that would probably put it close to $60k starting.

i'd guess they have people sittnig there trying to figure out, if we make one for $50k, without all the "really good stuff" we'll still get X # of buyers, and not steal from the m3/m4. vs if we make it $58-59k with CF roof, CF driveshaft , DCT, how many people will buy it, and how many will just not buy a m4.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #34
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
It really doesnt matter if the M2 out sells other M cars...it all ends up in the same corporate bank account
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #35
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
It really doesn't matter if the M2 out sells other M cars...it all ends up in the same corporate bank account
This is why "stealing model X sales" comments make no sense to me. If a model sells better than another model, that means the market demands that particular model more than others. A sale is a sale, and if that is a problem for BMW - then their marketing team needs to re-evaluate their demographic proportions that want a true analog full blown M car and position themselves appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #36
hans007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
This is why "stealing model X sales" comments make no sense to me. If a model sells better than another model, that means the market demands that particular model more than others. A sale is a sale, and if that is a problem for BMW - then their marketing team needs to re-evaluate their demographic proportions that want a true analog full blown M car and position themselves appropriately.
i guess we will see. it is just a theory.

i work in the computer industry. the core i3/i5/i7 are all basically the same piece of silicon. they sell all of them at different price points, price points just far enough apart to maybe tempt just the right amount of buyers into the right buckets. people's job is to figure this out. if it wasn't the m2 would have an s55 option right?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #37
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i work in the computer industry. the core i3/i5/i7 are all basically the same piece of silicon. they sell all of them at different price points, price points just far enough apart to maybe tempt just the right amount of buyers into the right buckets.
As do I, but it's not quite the same piece of silicon. They bin the chips after slicing the wafer to determine what works on each die and what doesn't - no wafer has 100% functional chips. They disable broken cores, dead execution units, broken sectors of L2/L3 cache, and (these days) even on die GPU's - and sell them not as defective products, but as lower performing and lower priced units. The chips that pass completely go on to be the top tier, or even xeon units, and the rest become desktop processors in the marketing brands you stated. It's a way to sell "broken" chips and still make a profit.

Similar, but different.

In BMW's case, they are making multiple models that all have to work (Can't sell one with a broken transmission), and they get the economy of scale by sharing some part commonality between them (engines, transmissions, differentials, some suspension components, i-drive units, etc). I'm sure they make better margins off of their top tier lines like the 6 and 7 series, but clearly not everyone can afford them or even WANTS them. It's frustrating to see this artificial performance handicapping of smaller models "so as not to harm their higher margin products" when a large market sector wasn't intending on purchasing one of their higher margin cars to begin with.

It would make sense to make all of them the best that they can be, and not intentionally hold a model back. If a car goes 'viral' so to speak, all the better - they still are making profit, and buyers are getting what they really wanted in the first place, increasing purchaser satisfaction. This is the piece of marketing that I understand, but can't stand.

All in all, I'm happy to see the N55B30T0 being used instead of the S55 - it should have similar power output, reliability, but at reduced cost and the expense of the ability to really push the guts of the motor with aggressive tuning. I'm not happy to see i-drive forced down my throat, but it's arguably more expensive to provide the OPTION and design/install/support two infotainment systems and dash types than to just make everyone pay for i-drive and be done with it.

I still hope the "T0" means it gets two turbos.
.... and the electric power steering doesn't suck.

Last edited by bitcore; 08-05-2014 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #38
w3rkn
Banned
Rep

Quote:
i just dont think they will necessarily have it. like that m2 spyshot in the other thread, with the orange car has an exposed non CF roof and that seems sort of like a hint.

i would think, for a lot of people a $50k m2, with a tuned n55, some aluminum fenders, a wider track and sportier suspension , sportier seats, and LSD , and maybe DCT (i could really see them putting the m235i racing 8ZF with the more agressive shift map that that comes with instead too, to get the cost lower) and say some M style 19" rims would be enough for them to call it an M. i mean $50k is only $7k more than a 235i. given the LSD is $3k by itself, i just cant see them being able to build it for a price much less and properly segmented away from m3/m4 while adding all the good m3/m4 parts. if it ends up with every thing from the m4, and just a different engine, it would seem like that would probably put it close to $60k starting.

i'd guess they have people sittnig there trying to figure out, if we make one for $50k, without all the "really good stuff" we'll still get X # of buyers, and not steal from the m3/m4. vs if we make it $58-59k with CF roof, CF driveshaft , DCT, how many people will buy it, and how many will just not buy a m4.

That is your mistake...

The M2 isn't competing with the 235.. it is competing against the Vette, Audi, Porsche, Mustang, etc..

Secondly, BMW has lost a great deal of enthusiasts & supporters with the lack-luster ///marketing that's been going on (ie: M235i). The M2 has a chance to right-size BMW and call back to those BMW purists who want a real //M-Car.

Personally, the M2 will make, or brake BMW from an intellectual stand point, & if the M2 is not quintessential BMW, but instead just pseudo-marketing then many will run from the brand forever.... many have been waiting 5 years since the limited 1M.. some since the e46 M3..

Thirdly, a Carbon Fiber roof is not expensive.. it is just exotic. Don't confuse the two. The BMW M2 will be about weight... there is no better place to save weight, than at the highest point in the car... why would BMW pass this opportunity up, just because YOU feel it aint worth it..?

The M2 must come with CF roof (& panels), just so it looses enough weight to be drop back down to 1-series weights.... as the 2-series gained 180lbs. But understand, it isn't necessarily how much weight, but WHERE that weight is... weight on the roof is a big No No..

No CF roof, no consideration.. that's why we buy BMW M's.. for the tech & engineering.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #39
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I say 65k fully loaded with all the tech boxes checked and DCT with no CF roof.
      08-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #40
w3rkn
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I say 65k fully loaded with all the tech boxes checked and DCT with no CF roof.
Doesn't matter what the price, if it is not about weight saving, the car is pointless. No CF roof, no sale..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #41
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Doesn't matter what the price, if it is not about weight saving, the car is pointless. No CF roof, no sale..
I will even take mine with a sunroof or a convertible!
      08-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #42
hans007
Major
Rep

Quote:
That is your mistake...

The M2 isn't competing with the 235.. it is competing against the Vette, Audi, Porsche, Mustang, etc..

Secondly, BMW has lost a great deal of enthusiasts & supporters with the lack-luster ///marketing that's been going on (ie: M235i). The M2 has a chance to right-size BMW and call back to those BMW purists who want a real //M-Car.

Personally, the M2 will make, or brake BMW from an intellectual stand point, & if the M2 is not quintessential BMW, but instead just pseudo-marketing then many will run from the brand forever.... many have been waiting 5 years since the limited 1M.. some since the e46 M3..

Thirdly, a Carbon Fiber roof is not expensive.. it is just exotic. Don't confuse the two. The BMW M2 will be about weight... there is no better place to save weight, than at the highest point in the car... why would BMW pass this opportunity up, just because YOU feel it aint worth it..?

The M2 must come with CF roof (& panels), just so it looses enough weight to be drop back down to 1-series weights.... as the 2-series gained 180lbs. But understand, it isn't necessarily how much weight, but WHERE that weight is... weight on the roof is a big No No..

No CF roof, no consideration.. that's why we buy BMW M's.. for the tech & engineering.
i can't believe i'm commenting to a guy who can't even spell "loses" but....

i never said i didn't think it was worth it to have a CF roof etc. My point was that BMW's business analysts / product planners I speculate probably think it will sell regardless of if it has one or not and are I'd wager are just as likely if not more likely to omit the CF roof for price and marketing reasons.

We are on an enthusiast board. Do you realize how many non enthusiasts who have no idea what they are buying still buy M cars? Just because the enthusiast crowd would want the CF roof, doesn't mean it will have one because the business types will have to weigh its cost and the change in MSRP that it would add will affect overall sales.

BMW is a business as far as I know. I know there are some what I'd call not so business minded "purists" out there who seem to think otherwise. But that is the reality of it. An added thought too... if anything "purists" should celebrate BMW building more and more SUV for "regular people" so they can fund lower margin cars like the M2 (I woudl guess the M2 given its likely lower volume and different configuration will not make them a lot of money).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #43
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
We are on an enthusiast board. Do you realize how many non enthusiasts who have no idea what they are buying still buy M cars? Just because the enthusiast crowd would want the CF roof, doesn't mean it will have one because the business types will have to weigh its cost and the change in MSRP that it would add will affect overall sales.

BMW is a business as far as I know. I know there are some what I'd call not so business minded "purists" out there who seem to think otherwise. But that is the reality of it. An added thought too... if anything "purists" should celebrate BMW building more and more SUV for "regular people" so they can fund lower margin cars like the M2 (I woudl guess the M2 given its likely lower volume and different configuration will not make them a lot of money).
I agree SUV production can help with the bottom line these days and put more R&D into good shared power trains. I do think it has however brought in buyers overall with cushier tastes.

BMW certainly is a business and they should also follow their bottom line, but they do need to keep their luxury/sport image up. It is starting to erode which Joe Shmoe does read in car magazines, in casual articles or around the watercooler. You can't ignore enthusiasts forever and still be thought of as the enthusiasts' choice amongst luxury brands. If they lose that core image it could damage bottom line. I think they know this and that's why you saw the M235I, so hopefully they go all out with the M2.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #44
hans007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensilver View Post
I agree SUV production can help with the bottom line these days and put more R&D into good shared power trains. I do think it has however brought in buyers overall with cushier tastes.

BMW certainly is a business and they should also follow their bottom line, but they do need to keep their luxury/sport image up. It is starting to erode which Joe Shmoe does read in car magazines, in casual articles or around the watercooler. You can't ignore enthusiasts forever and still be thought of as the enthusiasts' choice amongst luxury brands. If they lose that core image it could damage bottom line. I think they know this and that's why you saw the M235I, so hopefully they go all out with the M2.
yeah, there is a fine line to be walked for sure. BMW can do what porsche is doing and i think that would be fine.

some cayenne / macan buyer financing your cayman or 718.
Appreciate 0