BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 RS sets 6:56.4 Nürburgring lap time

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
3859
Rep
17,387
Posts

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

2019 Porsche 911 GT3 RS sets 6:56.4 Nürburgring lap time

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...gring-lap-time

Quote:
...

Porsche has done it, with a green GT3 RS equipped with the car's available Weissach package and street-legal Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R tires (265/35ZR20 front and 325/30ZR21 rear) having lapped the full 12.9 miles of the Nürburgring-Nordschleife in only 6:56.4 on April 16. Doing the driving was Porsche racing driver Kévin Estre.

And the time was no fluke. Estre was joined by Porsche test driver Lars Kern. After some practice laps, each made four timed laps that were all under seven minutes and just tenths of a second apart.

...
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
yousefnjr
Lieutenant Colonel
1066
Rep
1,698
Posts

Drives: 2006 Z4MR
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

A hair faster than 918, pretty nutty
__________________
H&R Coilovers | AFE Intake + Sound Generator | Stromung Cans | VT Engine Mounts | RE Trans Mounts | RE RSM's | Beisan Vanos Kit | Aero Skirts | VMR V803's | GTB Pedals | F10 M5 Knob | Alcantara Wheel | Black Kidneys | 4.10 Gears | CPI Stepped Headers | ESS Tune | DKF Catless S-Pipe | SS Brake Lines | AS SSK | CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
LobB
Major General
LobB's Avatar
4250
Rep
5,145
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

So what?
Appreciate 2
P1et3323.50
TXSTYLE2146.50

      04-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
uniqueMR
Major
uniqueMR's Avatar
United_States
488
Rep
1,357
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M4 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Car to have if I can lay hand on it, very limited

__________________
Currently: 2018 BMW M4 Competition & 2018 Audi S3
Previously BMWs: 2016 340i, 2012 M3 CP, 2003 745Li, 2000 740i
Appreciate 3
      04-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
240
Rep
2,010
Posts

Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I dont believe anything from the Porsche camp.
Appreciate 1
Nkc989.00

      04-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
Never_Enough
What car next?
Never_Enough's Avatar
United_States
593
Rep
1,911
Posts

Drives: Mazdaspeed6, Miata & Jetta
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Ring times are just a cock measuring contest
__________________
2017 Jetta
1997 Miata M Edition - Supercharged & lots more
2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT *FOR SALE*
IG @Highspeedthinmints
Appreciate 1
Nkc989.00

      04-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #7
Nkc
NOOB
Nkc's Avatar
989
Rep
1,207
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Ring times are just a cock measuring contest
What else are we going to measure? Real cocks?
Appreciate 5
ASAP1976.50
aozer360.50
trackm481.00

      04-20-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Nkc
NOOB
Nkc's Avatar
989
Rep
1,207
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

"and that time was no fluke"

It's definitely not a fluke that the car's ONLY purpose is to set a good time at the ring.

Still glad that the grassroots funding of an almost 3 year old Viper ACR ring attempt is still only seconds away from the newest baddest GT3rs at easily half the price.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #9
yco
ignorance is bliss..
56
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: E71 X6M '10
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Istanbul & Kiev

iTrader: (0)

it looks like they can shave at least a second more from this lap..
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 10:33 PM   #10
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
282
Rep
1,467
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
it looks like they can shave at least a second more from this lap..
Hic sanmiyorum
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 12:15 AM   #11
NickyC
Brigadier General
NickyC's Avatar
1992
Rep
3,525
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (15)

Good grief that's fast.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 12:58 AM   #12
JamesNoBrakes
Major
529
Rep
1,357
Posts

Drives: 428i xdrive GC
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
it looks like they can shave at least a second more from this lap..
Maybe if they went to thinner glass...
__________________
Dinan Shockware, Dinan F3x Swaybars, ACS Springs
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 01:20 AM   #13
Mingwan
Lieutenant
433
Rep
571
Posts

Drives: Beastly
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

Damn, that’s fast.

Haters gonna hate.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE3131.00

      04-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #14
Funf6cyl
Private
29
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: 6 cyl
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Synchronized

iTrader: (0)

Nothing short of incredible. Barely over 500 hp (and hardly any torque by today’s standard) and absolutely shaming cars like the Viper ACR which has over 100 hp more and more than twice as much downforce (fair comparison given that and it being 6MT). Faster than pretty much anything anyone is offering but with 100-200 hp less, if not more. Not far off the Performante despite much less hp and still impressive even compared to the Ring record holder in the 2RS.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
Nkc
NOOB
Nkc's Avatar
989
Rep
1,207
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Nothing short of incredible. Barely over 500 hp (and hardly any torque by today’s standard) and absolutely shaming cars like the Viper ACR which has over 100 hp more and more than twice as much downforce (fair comparison given that and it being 6MT). Faster than pretty much anything anyone is offering but with 100-200 hp less, if not more. Not far off the Performante despite much less hp and still impressive even compared to the Ring record holder in the 2RS.
I wouldn't necessarily call it "absolute shaming" being that the ACR is 3 years old and still a stick without rear wheels steering. Mind you its easily half the price and its 4 seconds off on a 7 minute course that its never been on. The ACR didn't have the resources and testing to be able to do its best like almost every Porsche does at the ring. It wasn't designed, tested and bred on the ring like the GT cars. The major factor were the tires and how the spares were transported (kumhos for fucks sake). With the weather, limited time slots, crashed car, many changes in drivers due to scheduling that the grassroots attempt could achieve, there wasn't a clean run and money ran out with crowdfunding. The ACR theoretically could be in the mid to low 50s.

The GT3rs is a kickass car not matter how you cut it but calling it shaming kind of shows what you know. I wouldn't base everything on ring time either.
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #16
Funf6cyl
Private
29
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: 6 cyl
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Synchronized

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call it "absolute shaming" being that the ACR is 3 years old and still a stick without rear wheels steering. Mind you its easily half the price and its 4 seconds off on a 7 minute course that its never been on. The ACR didn't have the resources and testing to be able to do its best like almost every Porsche does at the ring. It wasn't designed, tested and bred on the ring like the GT cars. The major factor were the tires and how the spares were transported (kumhos for fucks sake). With the weather, limited time slots, crashed car, many changes in drivers due to scheduling that the grassroots attempt could achieve, there wasn't a clean run and money ran out with crowdfunding. The ACR theoretically could be in the mid to low 50s.

The GT3rs is a kickass car not matter how you cut it but calling it shaming kind of shows what you know. I wouldn't base everything on ring time either.
A bit hyperbolic, but regardless, remarkable that a 520 hp car with 750 lb of downforce vs 640 hp and 1800 lb of downforce is a bit faster.
They are both kickass cars, but on paper, the 3RS shouldn’t even be close, let alone faster.
I do know the ACR story and what happened and yes it’s also a bad ass car (also have a good friend who owns one). I’m not aware of how they were transported, but they are a special tire made just for the ACR and are about the widest tires I’ve ever seen (plenty wider than anything the GT Porsche’s are wearing).
I will say, part of making a phenomenal track car is making a complete, cohesive and put together package (transmission, suspension and tires all in complete synch). That is where I would place my money - and that is in Porsche where I think they make the best package in the industry and there times prove it. Add in the fact that they do it with FAR less hp is just a testament to their engineering.

Overall, a car making just over 500 hp and running sub 7 mins at the Ring is something I don’t think anyone else but Porsche could pull off.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 11:23 AM   #17
Nkc
NOOB
Nkc's Avatar
989
Rep
1,207
Posts

Drives: Cars
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver/Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
A bit hyperbolic, but regardless, remarkable that a 520 hp car with 750 lb of downforce vs 640 hp and 1800 lb of downforce is a bit faster.
They are both kickass cars, but on paper, the 3RS shouldn’t even be close, let alone faster.
I do know the ACR story and what happened and yes it’s also a bad ass car (also have a good friend who owns one). I’m not aware of how they were transported, but they are a special tire made just for the ACR and are about the widest tires I’ve ever seen (plenty wider than anything the GT Porsche’s are wearing).
I will say, part of making a phenomenal track car is making a complete, cohesive and put together package (transmission, suspension and tires all in complete synch). That is where I would place my money - and that is in Porsche where I think they make the best package in the industry and there times prove it. Add in the fact that they do it with FAR less hp is just a testament to their engineering.

Overall, a car making just over 500 hp and running sub 7 mins at the Ring is something I don’t think anyone else but Porsche could pull off.
I don't disagree that Porsche makes a hell of a GT car and they are the best in the business in this category. No doubt about that...but we're comparing a Porsche to a Dodge that's half the price, 3 years older with a comical budget. In reality, you'll never see that 4 second difference in any track with similar drivers. They'll still run head to head on any given day.

Downforce goes both ways. You lose a lot on the straights and when you do gain in the corners, it literally eats the front tires hence them Kumhos never stood a chance on the ring. Ask your friend if he knows why the spare tires were faulty when they were air freight to Germany. Not a lot of people know that part of the story.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #18
aozer
First Lieutenant
aozer's Avatar
361
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

i dont get how anyone could not be a porsche fanboy.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE3131.00

      04-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #19
trackm4
Petrolhead
trackm4's Avatar
81
Rep
239
Posts

Drives: MW M4
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

peanut gallery on these types of threads is hilarious!

What amazing driving skills, blew my mind watching the video. Very few of us can even drive 1/5th at this skill at a local track .. and what a car!! Porsche has perfected the track car.. I've driven a GT3.. it is a precision weapon.. My M4 is close and a ton of fun on the track but one day I'll get a GT3!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #20
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
1666
Rep
2,170
Posts

Drives: Yaz M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

The human that drives this car is a freaking beast. Hats off to man and machine.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE3131.00

      04-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #21
motion732
Private First Class
13
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, F30 335 M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Monmouth County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
The human that drives this car is a freaking beast. Hats off to man and machine.
yes! i don't think the driver is getting enough credit here. 6m+ on absolute edge
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #22
Funf6cyl
Private
29
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: 6 cyl
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Synchronized

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackm4 View Post
peanut gallery on these types of threads is hilarious!

What amazing driving skills, blew my mind watching the video. Very few of us can even drive 1/5th at this skill at a local track .. and what a car!! Porsche has perfected the track car.. I've driven a GT3.. it is a precision weapon.. My M4 is close and a ton of fun on the track but one day I'll get a GT3!
Agree on driver skills.

An m4 GTS even, isn’t close to a GT3.

Porsche though, keeps showing more and more they just do it better. On an absolute scale, the only manufacturer that is making cars on the same level overall is McLaren (if they are working and not having electric issues and engines replaced).
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE3131.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:40 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST