BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Is the 2018 M2 getting the S55?

10-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #45
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc View Post
What's a Coxster?
Its the soft top version of the Gayman
Appreciate 3
      10-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #46
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85
Anyone waiting for the this ghost S55 M2 is missing out on a seriously awesome car right now.
Which is irrelevant because nobody can get the car at sticker right now

The real problem is that when my number comes up on the wait list, will a car even be available? And if the only option is a M2 CSL S55 (which will be unobtanium) or a huge price hike, I'm just going to get a Coxster for what will end up being the same price.

That's why this S55 speculation is infuriating.
I got mine for sticker. There are a few dealers in Jersey who just came down if your looking!
1) on the lot now? That actually is good to know for some people
2) I want an ED. So I am going to have to wait another 8-12 months no matter what I do. Nobody is giving up an ED allocation unless you were on a list a year ago.
      10-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #47
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Instead of looking at the S55 debate from the perspective of an enthusiast we should be looking at it from that of BMW. What motivation would they have to put a more powerful and more expensive engine in the M2? To sell more? They have no issue selling this car. How do you sell the M2, M3 and M4 with the same engine??? I believe that there will be a CS or CSL version of the M2 that will likely have the S55 but that will be an expensive and limited run car. What I think is likely for the M2 in the future is a tuned B58 but I doubt that we will see that until the M3 / M4 has more power. BMW needs to maintain a pecking order that creates a space in the market for each model.
Logical and well put. I happen to agree. To move the price point closer to M3/4 territory eliminates the "entry level M" which was always the intent.

Maybe the factory didn't realize the broader appeal.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #48
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
All we know for sure is that 2018 will bring LED tails and a standard backup camera (finally).

There are three camps..

1) M2 will get the S55, but only in a significantly more expensive CS version
2) The base M2 will get the S55 (most of these people don't have an M2 yet)
3) No M2 will get the S55 (most of these people already have an M2)

Pick your poison..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Camp 0: enjoy the M2 now and see what the future brings.
It was camp 2 and camp 0.
      04-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #49
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It was camp 2 and camp 0.
Thanks, this is helpful for all the people who may have missed the S55 speculation and would have wanted it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #50
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Its actually quite amusing now because back when M Power from 2ertalk.de first confirmed back in the fall of 2016 that the M2 was coming with the S55 engine in 2018 most people thought he was either wrong or it would have a huge price increase over the current M2.

BTW he works for BMW and he even thinks the S55 sounds like crap and he loves the current M2.

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:10
M2-Fahrer schrieb am 01 Dez 2016 - 19:53:
To be honest, we are not talking about a Bugatti Chiron or similar. but just about a BMW M. But in my eyes the GEILSTEN and from BMW ingeniously distributed. According to the motto "Make everyone hot and the RUN is safe for you!" Then come from all testers cheers "Finally a real BMW!" .... and the drops sucked. What else do rules, limits or similar count? The car is the absolute cracker.
I also looked at the M4, they can keep it. The feedback on the M2 is huge, he has everything what man or woman needs. I'm sorry but I would not wait for a year or more.
The M2 has three major advantages to the M4
1. feeling
The M2 is an honest car ... so to speak "back to the roots".
No big electronics skirmishes and thousands of settings from "racetrack" to "grandma goes shopping"!
He embodies what made BMW M big and obese!
2nd prize
There is hardly a M3 / M4, which does not scratch the € 100,000 mark .... as a reminder for the old bags below us: That was once 200,000 DM !!!!! For a BMW 3 Series !!!!
Even die-hard and hard-boiled M-fans shock this sum and you have to be honest: The real income has not grown as much as the car prices have done!
Therefore, the M2 was a logical move to keep customers on the one hand and on the other to win new customers! A fantastic car for a fair price!
3rd sound
The M3 / M4 is now the fifth exhaust system installed .... because the sound of the customer does not particularly like.
But all attempts to rectify have not been very successful ....
This can make the current M2 worlds better! He has this wonderful, bright, singing sound, which has always thrilled - and still does - generations of BMW fans!
I'm driving an M3 for 2.5 years now and have just ordered a new one - because I need the four doors ...
The sound was an abomination to me from the beginning and that has not changed until today! He can only loud or nothing ... in between there is nothing!
That could the predecessor better ... because you could sometimes even slowly cruising through the city ... Connoisseurs have recognized the V8 immediately and looked ... and the unsuspecting and eco-terrorists you have not even noticed. With the current you fall even connoisseurs no more off - or all unpleasant as Proll!
And that's exactly what makes the M2 a world better ....
... and if you look back in the history of the M GmbH, then the M2 is actually what the M3 originally was
A reasonably affordable sports car that was perfectly suitable for everyday use!
Appreciate 1
silverado287.50
      04-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #51
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Its actually quite amusing now
Remember the skeptical reactions when was commented in the past (also by yours truly) that the car would get the S55 engine, that it would be made available as DCT and 6MT, that it would also be on offer in the US, that it would be a four-seater, etc.

In the past there has also been the suggestion of a high performance version with a 4-cyl to save weight. I considered that idea plausible for a brief period of time (given the downsize evolution in the car market).