BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Uncontrollable iDrive System

04-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Uncontrollable iDrive System

So on my way home, my car started randomly asking me who I wanted to call. Then it started calling people. Then it started playing a variety of music, but it wouldn't play more than a half second of anything before switching to the next. The only way to stop it was to shut off my iPhone. But that didn't stop it, I switched to satellite radio and same thing. I finally switched to FM and then it continued to try to tune into a variety of stations and clicking the speakers for the remaining 10 minutes of my drive.

It took about 5-10 minutes for it to start doing that. After parking the car in the garage and waiting about an hour, I went to check it out and it seemed fine.

Needless to say something is/was messed up with the display or control knob by the shifter. I seem to recall someone else having a similar problem, but I couldn't find it in the forums. If it happens again, I am thinking I will have to make a trip to the dealer. That then makes me wonder if I have to return my HEX Tune to stock...

Thoughts from anyone experienced?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
XProject
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
So on my way home, my car started randomly asking me who I wanted to call. Then it started calling people. Then it started playing a variety of music, but it wouldn't play more than a half second of anything before switching to the next. The only way to stop it was to shut off my iPhone. But that didn't stop it, I switched to satellite radio and same thing. I finally switched to FM and then it continued to try to tune into a variety of stations and clicking the speakers for the remaining 10 minutes of my drive.

It took about 5-10 minutes for it to start doing that. After parking the car in the garage and waiting about an hour, I went to check it out and it seemed fine.

Needless to say something is/was messed up with the display or control knob by the shifter. I seem to recall someone else having a similar problem, but I couldn't find it in the forums. If it happens again, I am thinking I will have to make a trip to the dealer. That then makes me wonder if I have to return my HEX Tune to stock...

Thoughts from anyone experienced?
Thanks!
haha I just posted new thread last night cuz I didn't find anyone have this issue. I have exact same issue the only way to stop is to reboot the iDrive by press and hold mute button. I just don't have time to go to dealer. I wonder what is going with our system.
Appreciate 1
M2guru374.50
      04-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XProject View Post
haha I just posted new thread last night cuz I didn't find anyone have this issue. I have exact same issue the only way to stop is to reboot the iDrive by press and hold mute button. I just don't have time to go to dealer. I wonder what is going with our system.
An amazing coincidence...you post this and then on my way home tonight, my iDrive goes nuts again. Thanks for posting how to reset iDrive...boy you have to hold on to that button a long time! To figure this out...I feel like I have narrowed it down to Waze messing it up...Are you using Waze, too, or am I wrong or do we have different problems?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
An amazing coincidence...you post this and then on my way home tonight, my iDrive goes nuts again. Thanks for posting how to reset iDrive...boy you have to hold on to that button a long time! To figure this out...I feel like I have narrowed it down to Waze messing it up...Are you using Waze, too, or am I wrong or do we have different problems?
I don't use waze. I use google map and Spotify a lot. What kind of phone do you have? Also, what are your most used apps while you are driving?

Here is mine going crazy...

Appreciate 1
bluez60.00
      04-27-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't use waze. I use google map and Spotify a lot. What kind of phone do you have? Also, what are your most used apps while you are driving?

Mine is doing it just about every day - just like yours. My facetimed my wife - twice and I couldn't stop it. iPhone 8, Waze, Spotify - that's about it. For me it seems to start when Waze tries to tell me something (a turn coming up, police reported ahead, etc...). It sure seems like Waze is the problem though Spotify is on, too. Your thoughts?

I am about to complain to my dealer it's so bad. I have to shut the app off, shut the phone off and then reboot iDrive to get it to work again.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
XProject
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=M2guru;23119164]
Quote:
Mine is doing it just about every day - just like yours. My facetimed my wife - twice and I couldn't stop it. iPhone 8, Waze, Spotify - that's about it. For me it seems to start when Waze tries to tell me something (a turn coming up, police reported ahead, etc...). It sure seems like Waze is the problem though Spotify is on, too. Your thoughts?

I am about to complain to my dealer it's so bad. I have to shut the app off, shut the phone off and then reboot iDrive to get it to work again.
I don't think it's app related. I also get the same problem with just Bluetooth connection.

Now, I turned off the audio feedback in the iDrive setting for touchscreen before it happened and I didn't hear those crazy beeping sound. So, I think it something to do with our touchscreen but I don't know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Do all of you with this problem have a 2018 / LCI car with the touchscreen?
My car has started doing this occasionally, seems to happen most after the car has been sitting outside in the sun at work. When I leave work I'm driving home with the windows down (plenty of airflow), but the screen is flipping out. Haven't been able to get much video of it yet because I've been in a hurry each time and haven't been able to stop and record it.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Do all of you with this problem have a 2018 / LCI car with the touchscreen?
My car has started doing this occasionally, seems to happen most after the car has been sitting outside in the sun at work. When I leave work I'm driving home with the windows down (plenty of airflow), but the screen is flipping out. Haven't been able to get much video of it yet because I've been in a hurry each time and haven't been able to stop and record it.
It seems the issue is going away for me after I turned off audio feedback in iDrive. I'm not sure it's because I updated more recent iOS/app? I'm still keeping an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:59 AM   #9
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Mine just did it again today after sitting in 85+F temps while I was at work, with the windows closed. It's definitely something with the touchscreen, because it makes the beeping noises ("audio feedback") while the behavior is happening, like it thinks something is touching the screen.

iOS and ConnectedDrive app version have absolutely nothing to do with this, it's a hardware or software problem with the car.

Turning off audio feedback is just helping to hide or mask the problem - at some point the screen will start getting "phantom touches" again, in a location that actually activates the UI, and you'll notice it.

It's very obvious to me when listening to music off of a USB stick or Sirius. I have split-screen enabled and keep the car stats on the right side (gas remaining / miles to empty), so the album art / channel art on Sirius fills up the left side after a few seconds of inactivity. When the screen is flipping out, it's easy to tell because the Album art / picture keeps "retracting" and the screen shows the track listing or channel listing when in Sirius mode instead of the graphic/picture.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #10
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Mine just did it again today after sitting in 85+F temps while I was at work, with the windows closed. It's definitely something with the touchscreen, because it makes the beeping noises ("audio feedback") while the behavior is happening, like it thinks something is touching the screen.

iOS and ConnectedDrive app version have absolutely nothing to do with this, it's a hardware or software problem with the car.
Had a 90+ degree day today with no issues. A couple days ago it was upper 70s and it did it again. Had to reset it, as I do every time, and it worked fine...until the next time. I used to think it was when Waze was trying to tell me something about Police or another warning, but that theory is going out because the last few times it didn't correlate.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #11
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have split-screen enabled and keep the car stats on the right side (gas remaining / miles to empty), so the album art / channel art on Sirius fills up the left side after a few seconds of inactivity. When the screen is flipping out, it's easy to tell because the Album art / picture keeps "retracting" and the screen shows the track listing or channel listing when in Sirius mode instead of the graphic/picture.
Turn off the split screen and try again. That's what I did the last time and it seems to solve that issue. Lmk
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      06-07-2018, 02:58 AM   #12
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
It's been unseasonably cold here this week and I haven't seen it happen again yet. If it does I'll try that though.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
CryptoM2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I had the same issue with my car when I picked it up from dealer in December. They reset it and was fine for 1000 miles then it came back with vengeance. When I got my break in service they replaced the touch screen. Been fine for 2000 miles. Just show the video to the dealer. They will replace it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #14
AESZ4
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

I have the same issue and have found months ago that it only happens when the car is left parked in direct sunlight. the touchscreen seems to get hot in the sun and then randomly gives falses touches to any content up on the screen. if there was a way to disable the bloody touch feature i never use I'm confident it would solve the problem. resetting the iDrive by holding down the power button does resolve the issue temporarily but if you haven't cooled down the unit with windows or AC then it will surely start right back up again. unit replacement is the true fix
Appreciate 1
bluez60.00
      06-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #15
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Mine is doing it just about every day - just like yours. My facetimed my wife - twice and I couldn't stop it.
Just imagine when it Face Times your girlfriend while you wife is in the car...
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #16
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Just imagine when it Face Times your girlfriend while you wife is in the car...
no for you
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00
      07-16-2018, 05:21 AM   #17
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoM2 View Post
I had the same issue with my car when I picked it up from dealer in December. They reset it and was fine for 1000 miles then it came back with vengeance. When I got my break in service they replaced the touch screen. Been fine for 2000 miles. Just show the video to the dealer. They will replace it.
Anymore issue after they replaced the display?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #18
CryptoM2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Anymore issue after they replaced the display?
None!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #19
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Mine had this exact issue. Dealer replaced the touchscreen and it has been fine ever since.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #20
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:

so this exact thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, on a very hot day

took it to the dealer (my car is 18 model, with 1500km)

and the technician did find that there is an issue with the screen of the idrive that causes this glitch in your vid

the part is on order from germany,

so it is a defect with the screen and should get it replaced
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #21
XProject
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
so this exact thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, on a very hot day

took it to the dealer (my car is 18 model, with 1500km)

and the technician did find that there is an issue with the screen of the idrive that causes this glitch in your vid

the part is on order from germany,

so it is a defect with the screen and should get it replaced
Thanks! Now I know why it kept happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #22
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Is there a revised part number for us to mention when we bring this up with the dealer?
Its happened to me once, and want to fix it before warranty’s up