BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Those already having the M2: trading in for the M2 Competition ?

View Poll Results: How many of you will be trading your M2 for the new M2 Competition?
Yes 29 11.51%
No 184 73.02%
Not sure 39 15.48%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

04-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #67
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Don't know for sure that I'll end up with the Comp but I think what would be ideal for me is 2020 DCT Comp as a daily because it's the last DCT BMW they'll make, and then a next gen S58 MT post LCI M2 as a weekend vehicle which might be one of the last MT cars they make. Or instead a Porsche MT around that time.

What's the next Bitcoin?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #68
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Don't know for sure that I'll end up with the Comp but I think what would be ideal for me is 2020 DCT Comp as a daily because it's the last DCT BMW they'll make, and then a next gen S58 MT post LCI M2 as a weekend vehicle which might be one of the last MT cars they make. Or instead a Porsche MT around that time.

What's the next Bitcoin?
Wouldn't be surprised if the next gen M2 is ZF tranny only. Sad, isn't it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #69
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if the next gen M2 is ZF tranny only. Sad, isn't it.
Yea I don't think it will be though, maybe they do ZF only at first then start doing special editions M2,M3,M4 models with MT.

I think as we start moving closer to electric cars and self driving cars BMW is going to take advantage of enthusiasts not wanting to miss out on the last of the of the old cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #70
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Yea I don't think it will be though, maybe they do ZF only at first then start doing special editions M2,M3,M4 models with MT.

I think as we start moving closer to electric cars and self driving cars BMW is going to take advantage of enthusiasts not wanting to miss out on the last of the of the old cars.
I admire your optimism. I however have grown jaded over time. The M2 was the first BMW in years that got me excited again for the brand. I certainty hope you're right.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #71
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

The truth is that with every new generation of car, BMW degrades the machine-human connection, which in all honesty is barely there with the LCI/N55 M2. This may be entirely independent of the engine installed and all of the other "bullet points" that people are and will be discussing.

During the last week I have had occasion to drive 3 of my BMWs which come from different generations. I first drove my 2013 135is convertible, with which I feel very connected when I drive it; it is truly a great, analog, car.

Yesterday I drove my 2000 Z3M (S52) coupe; I had not driven it in several months as it only has Michelin PSS tires and I don't drive it in the winter, unless during atypically warm periods. This is the least capable of my cars and yet the most connected.

Over the last several weeks I have been predominantly driving my 2018 LCI M2; it is by far the LEAST connected-to-the-driver car out of the three, absolutely no contest on that, in spite of the fact that it is the most powerful, the most modern, the most luxurious, the most comfortable, and has the highest metrics.

For what it is, I like the M2, but on the trendline that I see, like my M2, every further generation will be a lesser car, over all.
      04-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #72
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The truth is that with every new generation of car, BMW degrades the machine-human connection, which in all honesty is barely there with the LCI/N55 M2. This may be entirely independent of the engine installed and all of the other "bullet points" that people are and will be discussing.

During the last week I have had occasion to drive 3 of my BMWs which come from different generations. I first drove my 2013 135is convertible, with which I feel very connected when I drive it; it is truly a great, analog, car.

Yesterday I drove my 2000 Z3M (S52) coupe; I had not driven it in several months as it only has Michelin PSS tires and I don't drive it in the winter, unless during atypically warm periods. This is the least capable of my cars and yet the most connected.

Over the last several weeks I have been predominantly driving my 2018 LCI M2; it is by far the LEAST connected-to-the-driver car out of the three, absolutely no contest on that, in spite of the fact that it is the most powerful, the most modern, the most luxurious, the most comfortable, and has the highest metrics.

For what it is, I like the M2, but on the trendline that I see, like my M2, every further generation will be a lesser car, over all.
I think the electric steering is improving so it might start getting better with the next generation.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #73
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
I think the electric steering is improving so it might start getting better with the next generation.
That would be nice but it is more than that. If the focus in the M-division was on the real driving experience, no one would have thought of such things as ASD and Rev Matching. Gizmos such as the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ buttons would not exist, except (maybe) for a throttle mapping button.

I had a dentist once who told me that his brother was an Airbus A340 pilot, and that he was going to retire, in part, because flying the plane made him think he was playing a video game.
      04-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #74
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:

You could make this argument for all BMW's - or even other brands.

I also had a triple blue 2000 M Roadster (Estoril Blue, Blue Top, Blue Leather), and a 2008 135i. I wouldn't take any of them over the M2. I miss the vert though lol, just not the side bolsters

All of these cars have hydraulic steering, that's what you feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #75
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
That would be nice but it is more than that. If the focus in the M-division was on the real driving experience, no one would have thought of such things as ASD and Rev Matching. Gizmos such as the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ buttons would not exist, except (maybe) for a throttle mapping button.

I had a dentist once who told me that his brother was an Airbus A340 pilot, and that he was going to retire, in part, because flying the plane made him think he was playing a video game.
Airbus Side stick versus Boeing Yoke for one. I have heard that from people.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #76
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Personally I never bought the M2 because the current M2 (great car) was not enough of an upgrade on the M235i... M2 competition is a massive leap.

But is the M2 competition an enough of an upgrade on the M2? Probably not.

However, it depends on the market in your country if it's financially viable. In Australia the first 12 months M2 price was strong no discounts, therefore market value held, however the last few months the price have dropped significantly for a new car...

In my opinion, if you can get a good price on the M2 id sell and get M2 competition, as in a few years time, n55 M2 will be worth significantly less than s55 M2
Appreciate 1
AlpsRider2863.50
      04-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #77
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I'm in the market for a preowned '18 LCI LBB or AW w/DCT and Executive if anyone is upgrading to a Comp and selling theirs.
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #78
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Interesting that since all the “info” dropped last week that the “No” response has only decreased about 3 points from its peak in the 77s.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #79
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Interesting that since all the “info” dropped last week that the “No” response has only decreased about 3 points from its peak in the 77s.
I don't find it too interesting. I don't think it makes much financial sense to buy a car and trade up within a couple years to the next best thing. Yeah there are a handful that will go ahead and take the hit but I think for most people it is not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #80
Mstigator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 6MT

Looking at the list voted, apparently a lot of the voters didn't get the question.

Spotted a lot of yes and maybes from known non-current owners.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #81
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
In my opinion, if you can get a good price on the M2 id sell and get M2 competition, as in a few years time, n55 M2 will be worth significantly less than s55 M2
I hope that anyone trying to make this decision does so with their own specific situation and finances in mind - I'm sure that goes without saying.

I also don't blame people for thinking this way - this is probably the prevailing opinion for many people right now, in terms of value retention. Of course, people need to think in terms of % of original purchase price, not just absolute price. I expect that the average M2 Comp, by the time options are added and it goes out the door, is going to cost $5-10K more than the average M2 LCI. Since average MSRP won't be apples to apples between a 2018 and a 2019, people need to think in terms of % of MSRP retained, not total money retained.

Having said all that, I predict this will go differently than people expect. M2 "classic" pricing will hold up better than people think. Can't say "you read it here first" because I'm not the first to say it, but I'll go on record.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #82
MJCRO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 LBB/6MT

What I like about the new car:

- Bigger brakes

That's about it.

What I don't like:

- Weight up by 121 lbs (55 kg)
- New optional wheels (Look better suited on a 911 Turbo)
- Restyled fFont end (Too aggressive, it detracts from the smooth curves and design lines of the original M2 body)
- M seats (Two tone coloring is ugly, loses leg extensions, still Dakota leather)
- S55 (Sound note is terrible, I believe everyone can agree the N55 note is much better)

I feel like those who are eager to trade in their current M2 for the Competition will be sorely disappointed as it's pretty much the same car, with just more weight and power.
Appreciate 0