BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Buying advice M2 or M2 Comp?

03-29-2021, 08:06 AM   #111
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Been struggling with the same thing lately, but the market for used cars is just too stupidly high to justify an upgrade right now in my opinion. For a couple grand it's just so easy to keep whats great about the N55 and obtain whats great about the S55 with some bolt ons and a tune. The tunability of the M2C isn't relevant to me at the moment as I've never been interested in voiding warranties. In another year a 2019 M2C will make more sense once prices normalize and tuning them becomes an option.
I was in the same position last year, but the prices almost stayed the same. I finally pulled the trigger on an M2C as I was just waiting for prices to come down, which only marginally happened.

Curious, what do you mean by "normalize"? 2021 M2 allocations are almost non-existant anymore. If we were to go by F87 timelines, we won't get a new (G87?) M2 for years to come, so there may be even less options which will drive demand up.
How do you feel about the m2c now that you made a trade from an m2?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #112
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
I am not sure the prices will come back down. The price of everything (houses, cars, boats, etc.) went up, which in reality means the dollar just fell in value. Inflation isn't always linear - sometimes it happens in a big surge all at once.
Agreed- there are no guarantees. But supply and demand are way out of whack now... there is literally only 1/3 of the supply of homes for sale right now as there was this time last year. It’s an extreme sellers market at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:31 AM   #113
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
How do you feel about the m2c now that you made a trade from an m2?
I don't know if this was directed at me, but figured I'd respond since I was quoted.

I didn't make the jump from an M2, I made the jump from a '21 X5 M50i. I did test drive an M2, but never considered it after test driving an M2C. While the M2 CS is obviously the best M2 there is, I didn't think it was worth the price increase. Of course it will hold it's value much better due to the exclusivity, but even a nice M2C was hard to find, which is why I bought it a few states over.

I think it's fair to say that it's a totally different vehicle from an X5, for better or worse. Of course, it feels much more special.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #114
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
I don't know if this was directed at me, but figured I'd respond since I was quoted.

I didn't make the jump from an M2, I made the jump from a '21 X5 M50i. I did test drive an M2, but never considered it after test driving an M2C. While the M2 CS is obviously the best M2 there is, I didn't think it was worth the price increase. Of course it will hold it's value much better due to the exclusivity, but even a nice M2C was hard to find, which is why I bought it a few states over.

I think it's fair to say that it's a totally different vehicle from an X5, for better or worse. Of course, it feels much more special.
May i ask what were the key things that made you instantly never consider the M2 after test driving the M2C as you said?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #115
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
May i ask what were the key things that made you instantly never consider the M2 after test driving the M2C as you said?
Of course I did my research beforehand, but wanted to really test both and see how much different they were - especially with the exhaust sound being worse on the M2C. At the end of the day, I purchased one with the M Performance exhaust which closes the gap a lot to the OG M2. Some of the reasons below are also available in the N55 LCI, but in the end, the sum of all parts was just superior in the competition.

Put it this way, the M2C is much closer to the CS than the OG is to the M2C - especially with the CF upgrades my car had.

In the past I always looked for the cheaper up front cost, but found myself spending more in the end just to get the upgraded features.

This is all subjective, but these were my reasons.

1. More linear power delivery of S55. Coming from an M50i, I wanted something more linear in a small car.
2. Updated exterior (mine came with the M Performance Exhaust and many CF pieces)
3. Much better seats and better Idrive (touch screen)
4. The S55 has much better tuning potential. In a few minutes, you can make M4 GTS power without sacrificing reliability as they esentially have same hardware. BMW did their R&D for these power levels. Of course once you get into higher power figures, the chances of the crank hub going increase.
5. Resale Value - I think the M2 Competitions will hold their value better just based on many of the above parameters. Just as I found it a lot more desirable, I'm sure future buyers will feel the same when they are in the market.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 11:32 PM   #116
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Of course I did my research beforehand, but wanted to really test both and see how much different they were - especially with the exhaust sound being worse on the M2C. At the end of the day, I purchased one with the M Performance exhaust which closes the gap a lot to the OG M2. Some of the reasons below are also available in the N55 LCI, but in the end, the sum of all parts was just superior in the competition.

Put it this way, the M2C is much closer to the CS than the OG is to the M2C - especially with the CF upgrades my car had.

In the past I always looked for the cheaper up front cost, but found myself spending more in the end just to get the upgraded features.

This is all subjective, but these were my reasons.

1. More linear power delivery of S55. Coming from an M50i, I wanted something more linear in a small car.
2. Updated exterior (mine came with the M Performance Exhaust and many CF pieces)
3. Much better seats and better Idrive (touch screen)
4. The S55 has much better tuning potential. In a few minutes, you can make M4 GTS power without sacrificing reliability as they esentially have same hardware. BMW did their R&D for these power levels. Of course once you get into higher power figures, the chances of the crank hub going increase.
5. Resale Value - I think the M2 Competitions will hold their value better just based on many of the above parameters. Just as I found it a lot more desirable, I'm sure future buyers will feel the same when they are in the market.
Valid reasons indeed. Justifies the price increase if the M2C is really closer to the M2 CS imo. Thing is, most of dealers here are somehow overpricing the M2Cs available...maybe it is because summer is coming and demand is going up, or i just am a bit unlucky finding a decently priced one.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:23 AM   #117
M2C-NLUSA
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
Valid reasons indeed. Justifies the price increase if the M2C is really closer to the M2 CS imo. Thing is, most of dealers here are somehow overpricing the M2Cs available...maybe it is because summer is coming and demand is going up, or i just am a bit unlucky finding a decently priced one.
What do you expect with EOP coming in June.... Less supply and an increase in demand. What's decently priced? MSRP allocations are out there.
      03-31-2021, 11:48 AM   #118
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C-NLUSA View Post
What do you expect with EOP coming in June.... Less supply and an increase in demand. What's decently priced? MSRP allocations are out there.
Also, if we were to go by how long BMW waited to introduce the M2 after the initial introduction of the M235i, it may take a few years until the new M2 becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:51 AM   #119
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Also, if we were to go by how long BMW waited to introduce the M2 after the initial introduction of the M235i, it may take a few years until the new M2 becomes available.
The G87 release date is the beginning of 2023.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:13 PM   #120
Chris_Uk_m2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

When I was looking I looked at m2, m2c and m240i. I quickly discounted the m2 as I thought the m240i with the b58 engine was pretty much the same car but actually cheaper.

But after driving m2c it was clear which one to go for. I think if cost is a factor then m240i might be the happy medium.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:30 PM   #121
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C-NLUSA View Post
No I dont mean discounted more than usual with "decent price",
I meant correctly priced and not heavily overpriced just for the sake of profit. Some good ones were on the market at the end of last year but i was not ready.

Also, I want to ask the experts here about something I read sometimes from people saying M2s in general are not meant for drag racing. Why do people say this when M2s have plenty horsepower, what is it that they mean making M2s not suitable for Drag races?
All I could think of was becaue it is rear wheel drive thus having worse traction disadvantage lauching versus All wheel drive cars, is that the reason?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:21 PM   #122
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Don't listen to these dudes, they just look at figures on a page and numbers and talk about all their potential tuning that never materializes

The raw grunt of the OG is what will make you feel like a boss 😎

You aint gonna get that with some limp wrist m2c
Appreciate 1
hlm2c289.50
      03-31-2021, 08:39 PM   #123
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Don't listen to these dudes, they just look at figures on a page and numbers and talk about all their potential tuning that never materializes

Limp wrist M2C? Nice one, was that meant to be homophobic? Why?
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2021, 09:00 PM   #124
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
He's one of those tough guys who is insecure about his car, so he makes comments like that. Don't mind him. He thinks that BMW went backwards from the N55 to the S55 and apparently charges customers more for less

I think I know what it is - he paid top dollar for a 2018 only to find out that BMW made a much better car a year later. Probably ate a lot of negative equity and now it's hard for him to get rid of it
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2021, 11:47 PM   #125
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Lol what has the world come to
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:51 PM   #126
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
He's one of those tough guys who is insecure about his car, so he makes comments like that. Don't mind him. He thinks that BMW went backwards from the N55 to the S55 and apparently charges customers more for less

I think I know what it is - he paid top dollar for a 2018 only to find out that BMW made a much better car a year later. Probably ate a lot of negative equity and now it's hard for him to get rid of it
I just look at the overall experience when driving a car, while you seem to be making the most logical decisions, its like captain kirk explaining to spock why ppl like to dance, its prob not the most efficient usage of your time, but its a fun time

You seem to be needing to explain your purchase and reasoning quite a bit, thats fine but you should realize there are other perceptions out here about what makes a good car
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 01:12 AM   #127
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Limp wrist has nothing to do with homophobia!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 01:31 AM   #128
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Limp wrist has nothing to do with homophobia!
Maybe not in the UK.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=Limp%20Wrist
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 07:19 AM   #129
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Lmao! This made me so laugh hard
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #130
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I just look at the overall experience when driving a car, while you seem to be making the most logical decisions, its like captain kirk explaining to spock why ppl like to dance, its prob not the most efficient usage of your time, but its a fun time
That captain Kirk vs Spock comment had me laughing.

I did the exact opposite of what you're claiming. I would hope that in 2021 anyone dumping $60k+ on a depreciating asset does some kind of reasearch before a purchase but my decisions were based SOLEY on preference after driving. How is preferring certain seats, power delivery and the look "looking on a page and numbers"?

Also, I was simply answering questions that were asked based on my personal experience. That's what forums live off of. I have stated many times that these are personal preferences and everyone should do their own test drive and may feel different.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #131
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Can't dispute urban dictionary. I interpret it as a weak attempt at something.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #132
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Annnnd it’s time to close this thread.
Appreciate 2