hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Thermal Car

So a couple of days ago, my buddy found out that his '16 M2 (just like mine but different color) was a "Thermal" Car. Meaning that it was one of the first production cars and was sent to the track for "BMW Driving School". I didn't think that they would actually put these cars back into circulation to sell. He's a little concerned in case he decides to sell it, but on the other hand, he's had NO issues with the car and that motor is STRONG. He was told by our Indy that it's definitely underrated in terms of power & torque.

BMW ALSO said that if BMW wanted to sell it (I.E he decides to trade it in), they would have to tell prospective buyers that it was a "Thermal Car", but since he didn't buy it from BMW when he got it (private purchase), that would explain why he didn't know.

Is this something he should be concerned with (aside from BMW resell value), especially since only BMW knows about it since it doesn't even show up on the KBB or Carfax?
      10-03-2023, 02:13 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Wouldn’t be concerned unless there is an issue to be concerned about. In other words, if the car is in good order, the car is in good order. These cars are built to bang.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 02:20 PM   #3
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Wouldn’t be concerned unless there is an issue to be concerned about. In other words, if the car is in good order, the car is in good order. These cars are built to bang.
That is how I look at it, but since this kind of caught him off guard (myself included since I did not know about this), I had to ask since this is my "Phone a Friend" Lifeline and some of you know a lot more about these cars than I do.
      10-03-2023, 11:59 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
So a couple of days ago, my buddy found out that his '16 M2 (just like mine but different color) was a "Thermal" Car. Meaning that it was one of the first production cars and was sent to the track for "BMW Driving School". I didn't think that they would actually put these cars back into circulation to sell. He's a little concerned in case he decides to sell it, but on the other hand, he's had NO issues with the car and that motor is STRONG. He was told by our Indy that it's definitely underrated in terms of power & torque.

BMW ALSO said that if BMW wanted to sell it (I.E he decides to trade it in), they would have to tell prospective buyers that it was a "Thermal Car", but since he didn't buy it from BMW when he got it (private purchase), that would explain why he didn't know.

Is this something he should be concerned with (aside from BMW resell value), especially since only BMW knows about it since it doesn't even show up on the KBB or Carfax?

These cars get re-sold just like "brass hat" (BMW NA employee special company loan/lease vehicles) do. I personally wouldn't buy one because they get beat on pretty hard (and I've done that myself going to their programs), but if it's at a pretty significant mileage (which it should being a MY16), then at this point it should be solid. BMW driving school cars usually have wear on the door storage bins where they clip the radios on/off every day.

There's no legal requirement for BMW NA or anybody else to disclose if it was used as a BMW driving school car. The best way to tell a driving school car is if they're fairly low mileage (usually around 10k when BMW sells them), well priced, owned by BMW NA (Woodcliff Lake, NJ registered), and pics show the wear on the driver's door bin.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 3
hybrid90245.50
chris7197334.00
      10-11-2023, 11:22 AM   #5
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I've driven those cars at BMW track days. They do get abused. I think the main concern for me would be much later in the car's life when engine wear is a factor. That being said it's probably fine.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      10-11-2023, 02:08 PM   #6
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I've driven those cars at BMW track days. They do get abused. I think the main concern for me would be much later in the car's life when engine wear is a factor. That being said it's probably fine.
Replace all the plastic components in the engine bay it should be fine

10-11-2023, 06:39 PM   #7
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

They definitely do not get broken in by the book or follow ideal cold oil operations, not to mention they sit in the scorching sun all day so they wouldn't be my first pick.
      10-11-2023, 10:03 PM   #8
Beenz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I personally wouldn't buy one because they get beat on pretty hard (and I've done that myself going to their programs), but if it's at a pretty significant mileage (which it should being a MY16), then at this point it should be solid.
This. Would not touch one as a fist sale after use due to the abuse suffered, but in your case the car is already now 7 years old and proven to be fine so no drama. Really, a 7 year old privately owned performance car will be pot luck anyway, as to whether it was driven by a competent careful owner or a spotty road warrior.

Side note, but I have a personal theory that some of the drive cars are actually tweaked a bit because there can be definite differences between cars even on the same day/course. Maybe in this case they have been lucky and got one of the good ones also maybe with a bit more fruit
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      10-12-2023, 12:26 AM   #9
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
They definitely do not get broken in by the book or follow ideal cold oil operations, not to mention they sit in the scorching sun all day so they wouldn't be my first pick.
They get the run-in service and everything from that point forward including brakes and tire changes

BMW does take care of their cars
      10-12-2023, 10:55 AM   #10
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz View Post
Side note, but I have a personal theory that some of the drive cars are actually tweaked a bit because there can be definite differences between cars even on the same day/course. Maybe in this case they have been lucky and got one of the good ones also maybe with a bit more fruit
I've driven his car, and I know that his car feels different than mine. It feels more... aggressive? The motor feels more raw. The motor in mine does not feel anemic at all, but his just feels more... eager? But he's had no issues with the car. Runs strong, runs very smooth, especially after he's run it for a little while on the freeway. I think we both got a good ones. And neither of us have any interest in messing with the motors or exhausts since we both think they are great as is.
      10-12-2023, 11:16 AM   #11
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
No issues with buying one, these cars are built to be driven hard. If anyone is concerned or just wants to avoid a PC Car the key things when buying ANY car is be aware of its history. BMWs that have their first registration in New Jersey usually is an indicator of being a corporate car.

Also low mile cars that are cheaply priced are another potential indicator since I understand they go to auction from the Performance Centers, but then reseller also could be greedy and mark as a normal used car to make more profit.

PC Cars are always covered in front with PPF so they are protected, and usually they are DCT cars so everyone can drive them at Thermal and Greer so no concerns about burnt clutches. If he is concerned AFTER the fact on resale value he just needed to be more on top of researching before buying.

I personally wouldn't be concerned.
      10-12-2023, 12:54 PM   #12
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
There's no legal requirement for BMW NA or anybody else to disclose if it was used as a BMW driving school car.
Easy to tell from a CarFax, as those cars aren't titled. So if you see the first title with 5 or 10K miles then you know something is up.

Personally, I'd never buy such a car. I don't think it so much about the engine, as I've never seen any absolutely conclusive data on easy break-in vs hard-break in, but the trans and other bits that take a beating with these types of cars leave them completely out.

Shame on BMW and any other manufacturer that would put them into the purchasing pool.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 04:23 PM   #13
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
They get the run-in service and everything from that point forward including brakes and tire changes

BMW does take care of their cars
Yea, but they are beaten on day one without the 1,200-mile break-in and can go straight to the track without even warm oil ripping to redline. I've done the Thermal track days, those cars live a hard life- not to say they can't handle it but just would rather play it safe and avoid them.

I typically recommend buying sports cars new for that matter, I know here in LA lots of young kids lease M cars and thrash them.
      10-12-2023, 05:28 PM   #14
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
Yea, but they are beaten on day one without the 1,200-mile break-in and can go straight to the track without even warm oil ripping to redline. I've done the Thermal track days, those cars live a hard life- not to say they can't handle it but just would rather play it safe and avoid them.

I typically recommend buying sports cars new for that matter, I know here in LA lots of young kids lease M cars and thrash them.
I believe you man

I wouldn’t buy one
      10-21-2023, 04:55 PM   #15
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Having driven the M2/M3/M4 at Thermal during my M School day, I would never buy one - I really, really beat on that car(s). Does that mean something will break? Who knows....but between two cars (with similar miles and what not) and one being used at the PC, I would never buy a car used by the PC (just like I'd never buy a rental car)
Appreciate 0