BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 / M2comp owners perspective vs E9x M3

09-11-2023, 09:28 AM   #23
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuuce View Post
just to jump back in on this one, as I still have both.

Agreed on many points about long term maintenance costs. The E9X platform, while not totally free from the computer controlled everything, it has far less of those features. Heck, there are kits to put a LS in an E9X as well...

While the F87 platform is super computer integrated and probably will have less user serviceable stuff. Heck, when the computer screen goes out, then what? Stuck to the dealer, or will there be aftermarket support, or junk yard support? Time will tell, will the car even drive without the screen operational, or some other non driving thingy?

The E9X platform does not feel as computer integrated, that is feeling like a good side of the coin to me, especially while out of warrantee.

interior fit and finish, early 00's designs vs late 01s designs. Usually the materials going backwards are better. Not sure I have a clear comment on this, but I think the E9X feels a bit higher end.

Happy Friday
I agree that more tech = more things to go wrong and it also makes it harder for the DIY'ers to diagnose and fix issues themselves. Your point about dealing with these types of repairs in the future is well taken.

I also think an argument could be made that the E9x cars are broadly more reliable than the F platform cars.

But if we are specifically comparing the overall reliability of the E9x M3 to the F87 M2, I think the M2 is, and will be, the more reliable car.

A bricked idrive would suck, but spun rod bearings and a blown motor sucks more. The damn S65 is just soooo compelling, it pulls at my heartstrings like almost no other motor I've experienced. As mentioned above, I think you need both cars, lol.
Current: 718 GT4 6MT, F87 M2 6MT, F30 330xi, F25 xdrive35i Gone: E82 128i M-Sport, 997.2 911, B8.5 S5, 987.2 Cayman, W211 E550, E92 M3, B8.5 S4, 981 Cayman, E82 128i, E46 M3, Z4MC, Mk5 GTI VR6, MZ3R, C5 Z06, B5 S4, Volvo T-5R, Volvo 740Ti

Last edited by 850tgul; 09-11-2023 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
Bruuuce341.50
      09-15-2023, 11:12 PM   #24
ZCPMV8
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I used to own a 2013 M3 Comp MT for a few years and was in the exact same predicament as you until recently. I just bought a 2021 M2 MT and don't even think about the e92 now. The e92 is a great car, and without a doubt has more character than modern bmws, but the M2 is just on another level when it comes to performance and fun. It's a riot.

I always thought the e92 was the s2000 of BMWs with its crazy high end, but the lack of torque (relatively speaking). That gave it even more unique character, but left me wanting more in terms of power. Once I test drove the M2 Comp, it left a huge grin on my face. That's when I decided it was probably the right choice.

Both are amazing cars and power/performance isn't everything. You do feel a bit more at one with the e92 when driving imo. But the M2 is just too fun. Just wanted to give you my perspective.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 05:33 AM   #25
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition MT

I went from modified E92 335i Sport to an E90 M3 ZCP, both stick. The reason I changed was primarily how far back the back seat was inside the body of the E92, and how difficult that made it to manage a kid in a car seat.

When I first drove the M3, I was really torn between the torque of the 335 and the high RPMs of the M3, ignoring for a moment the far superior driving dynamics of the M3. However, after living with the M3 for a while, I completely forgot about the missing torque. That engine was just soooo sexy.

For a brief period of time I became more adult and drove a 550i M-sport, then got fed up with the BMW depreciation and maintenance and drove a series of American cars.

I bought my M2C over an M3/M4 because driving it reminded me so much of the E90 M3, but with the 335's torque. I chose the M2C over a 2SS (or ZL1) Camaro primarily because of the truly functional back seat (plus the driving position and visibility out of the car) in such a compact and nimble package.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      10-05-2023, 08:13 AM   #26
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850tgul View Post
I agree that more tech = more things to go wrong and it also makes it harder for the DIY'ers to diagnose and fix issues themselves. Your point about dealing with these types of repairs in the future is well taken.

I also think an argument could be made that the E9x cars are broadly more reliable than the F platform cars.

But if we are specifically comparing the overall reliability of the E9x M3 to the F87 M2, I think the M2 is, and will be, the more reliable car.

A bricked idrive would suck, but spun rod bearings and a blown motor sucks more. The damn S65 is just soooo compelling, it pulls at my heartstrings like almost no other motor I've experienced. As mentioned above, I think you need both cars, lol.
I personally wouldn't worry about the tech on either car. I've owned my E92 M3 since 2012 and I've had 0 issues. I also wouldn't worry about any of this stuff on my M2C.

Keep in mind, these cars use the same hardware as a normal 330i or 2 series. So we're also not talking about something super difficult to find should you need to replace something.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      10-06-2023, 10:25 AM   #27
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Curveball - M2 CS may be the best compromise. I can tell from experience, 4,500 miles on my manual CS and 40,000 miles on my M3 DCT “stripper” spec. The steering in the CS, as well as some of the other enhancements, really make a difference to the Competition. I am not saying that OG or Comp are bad, since any M2 is fun, but the CS does elevate the platform and address some of the downsides of the M2.

I was tempted to selling the M3 but luckily held on to it to compare it with M2 CS. I quickly realized that the M3, even just with the stock engine and the AA signature exhaust, is a very different fun car - lacks torque compared to turbo but who cares…...

You cannot go wrong though, all good choices. YMMV.
Appreciate 1
W///7494.00
      10-08-2023, 08:46 AM   #28
fhr_6189
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

I owned an E92 M3 2013 ZCP, cloth seat, CF roof, etc. hands down one of the most fun car to drive. Yes it’s lacking many things, it’s also slow in comparison to todays car but the car have unbelievable sound, it’s exhilarating when you drive it and put a smile on my face every time. I put 30K miles before I sold it because family was growing, I need to purchase a house, and it was the right decision at the time. Let me tell you, it was one of the biggest regret.

Ever since then I’ve been trying to replace the car and venture on others: C63s,RSs and none of them replace that fun, driver centric car like M3.

Long behold, M2C and M2CS came along. I’ve read the reviews, I test drive the cars and I was sold. I was sold on a M2CS. I know it’s 20-25k different from M2C, I know you can add things to make it like M2CS but it’s not the same, a good clean M2CS it’s hard to find (currently there’s only 13 for sale in the whole US) however, this is the closest car you will get to an E92 M3. Don’t sell yourself short and get the M2CS if you can.

So before I decide to get the M2CS, I had the chance (twice at that) to buy an E92 M3 but it just doesn’t make sense to me at that price (I get it that it was under 10K miles, clean and etc).

My dilemma was: do I buy a 10yrs old platform for the same price as a new M2CS. The answer was NO! (I’m a car enthusiast and I took care of my cars, so do I want to spend more money to do the preventative stuff and etc).
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1062.00