BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMW n55 new pure turbos (pure 500 and pure 750)

03-03-2024, 05:06 AM   #265
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianM2 View Post
It would be awesome if you did a p500 run on the same 93 octane too
Would love to see this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Manual. CSF is a solid option for a plug-n-play choice. I’ve seen deltas under 10* over ambient at best. Normally see about 12* over ambient. It’s performed well on track too. There are better intercoolers (Wagner Evo3 or VRSF Race) but the CSF has done the job. I’ll upgrade to one of those other options in the future should the need arise but I’m hoping the CSF can do the job for 440whp.
Thank you for doing this and sharing. I have the exact same setup and I understand the P500 won't be for huge power increase but I care more about reliability and area under the curve. I have been on the sideline waiting for good, relevant data so I could decide if it is even worth pursuing for myself. I look forward to the results.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 10:12 AM   #266
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
E85 is convenient enough I’ll always run it, but with the flex setup I expect to have some good data on just Shell 93 before we increase the emix. Planning to dyno tune it on the same dyno so I’ll have the ability to overlay that before run with the pure500 on 93, and then finally the Pure500 on emix.
You’re dyno tuning it? Awesome, I’m supposed to do the same here - but 93 only. Who is tuning it?

I’m really a believer in a good tuner, it makes everything better. There is just something to be said when it’s not just guys cranking up timing and boost to get the highest numbers at the expense of everything else.

Then you have a car that’s good for hero runs and overheats at the track - it seems to me that the standard BM3 maps are like that. I think there was a guy here who had a “pro tune” by Bend, it made similar power to the OTS map, was allegedly safer.

A tuner would be able to adjust the car in real-time on the dyno, giving you the best power curve, but also refining the boost, timing, VVT and fueling tables to be less stressful on the car while giving the best power.

You could be making more power on 15psi than guys make on 16 or 17, and you can imagine which tune would generate more heat.
      03-03-2024, 10:55 AM   #267
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
You’re dyno tuning it? Awesome, I’m supposed to do the same here - but 93 only. Who is tuning it?
Bend Calibration. I’ll start on the dyno and then likely get another revision or two from logging on track. Peace of mind and longevity is the target not peak power. I was originally planning on street tuning it, but the dyno will enable me to compress the timeline which is appealing.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 11:10 AM   #268
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Bend Calibration. I’ll start on the dyno and then likely get another revision or two from logging on track. Peace of mind and longevity is the target not peak power. I was originally planning on street tuning it, but the dyno will enable me to compress the timeline which is appealing.
I hear solid stuff from Bend - did you look into someone like StageFP (Bob) or Epic (Randy)

Love the idea of a dyno tune to see what works in real time, but Bend requiring ECUTEK and the high cost is a hard pill to swallow. Either way, I’m sure it will be well sorted. In for results!
      03-03-2024, 12:25 PM   #269
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I hear solid stuff from Bend - did you look into someone like StageFP (Bob) or Epic (Randy)

Love the idea of a dyno tune to see what works in real time, but Bend requiring ECUTEK and the high cost is a hard pill to swallow. Either way, I’m sure it will be well sorted. In for results!
I definitely did some research on tuning options. After some initial interactions with Bend Calibration I came away really impressed and this was prior to me spending a dime. There are a number of great calibrators out there, but Bend fit my specific needs best. I also really value the demonstrated success they’ve shown as tuners for the racing campaigns of two of the shops that support me.

The costs for dyno time and EcuTek suck, but I’m hoping this is one of those situations where the quality remains long after the cost is forgotten. It’ll be quiet for a bit while I wait to get everything installed but I’m optimistic I can have some results by April.

Shout out to Mike@x-ph.com for the bits and bobs to make this happen. They were easy to do business with and provided great communication.

Last edited by ThreeStripes; 03-03-2024 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 04:00 PM   #270
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Bend Ultimate Flex fuel kit and EcuTek arrived. Migrating from BM3 to EcuTek this week ahead of a trip in to the shop later this month.
Appreciate 2
TUDMG21.00
      03-17-2024, 08:37 AM   #271
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

I want to see how Bend measures up to the StageE30+/MM that people are running here. Since they are putting you on the dyno, I assume they are going beyond just fueling and timing changes.
      03-19-2024, 05:54 PM   #272
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Found this...
I've not even got to the end yet hehe

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:29 PM   #273
mledfo2
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3 mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Found this...

https://youtu.be/1DKivyPp6yU?si=xQfQiANFr0X9GUJh
I just watched that today, cool video! Love how the mani doesn't need to come off. My PS2 started leaking oil and I'm thinking 750 but the 500 is also appealing
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:03 AM   #274
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Wow someone in the comments said their PS2 leaked oil too. Are they notorious? Doesn't sound good for QC
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 06:42 PM   #275
mledfo2
Rep

Quote:
Wow someone in the comments said their PS2 leaked oil too. Are they notorious? Doesn't sound good for QC
Yeah, apparently it's pretty common. I think with it being journal bearing combined with the manifold being so restricted it's just too much for it to withstand. I'm hoping the improvements made on the 750 will prevent that!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 01:15 AM   #276
TUDMG
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Found this...

https://youtu.be/1DKivyPp6yU?si=xQfQiANFr0X9GUJh

lol that’s my car. Had no idea they made a video😂
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:42 AM   #277
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUDMG View Post
lol that’s my car. Had no idea they made a video😂
What is your overall setup that you went with and any impressions on it?

Also just out of curiosity, what are they charging hour wise for the install since they indicate the 500 being less work than other options?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 01:59 AM   #278
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Always wondered if people were informed about videos or not!
And what are the odds you are a member here too?! I can't work out if high or low...

Please let us know how you get on.

It's a shame these aren't ball bearing, imagine the spool!
Appreciate 1
TUDMG21.00
      03-22-2024, 08:11 AM   #279
TUDMG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
What is your overall setup that you went with and any impressions on it?

Also just out of curiosity, what are they charging hour wise for the install since they indicate the 500 being less work than other options?

Pure500, Dorch Stage 2, PR Stage 2.5, ET3 Stage 2 EKP, CSF FMIC, Turbosmart VR11 Plumb Back BOV, upgraded inlet. Running the BM3 Stage 2+ OTS map and testing the upcoming Stage 3 map.

As a street setup, even on 93, I’m very satisfied by the upgrade—easily worthwhile over the stock turbo. OEM spool but pulls much harder, even at higher RPMs.

It seems to perform as well as the TTE460 turbo, I should be around 500whp or more, depending on ethanol content (virtual dyno puts me around there).

Based on quotes they sent me, they’d charge almost 40% more to install a stage 2 turbo, so another win for the Pure500.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 08:20 AM   #280
TUDMG
Private
Rep

Quote:
Always wondered if people were informed about videos or not!
And what are the odds you are a member here too?! I can't work out if high or low...

Please let us know how you get on.

It's a shame these aren't ball bearing, imagine the spool!
I would guess a lot of forum members doing upgraded turbos would be on the forums, but who knows

In my case, I made the decision to buy the P500 based on early adopters of it in here (and Facebook groups).

I’ve been posting logs and my experiences with the turbo and OTS maps here if you want to keep up with the build:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1884838
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 04:18 PM   #281
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Any dyno numbers comparing P500 to stock yet? Might go P500 in the future after my PS2 gives out lol
      03-22-2024, 06:51 PM   #282
low-key
Registered
Rep
Drives: og F87 M2

bb vs jb

I was under the impression the Pure turbos were bb not jb, but now I notice their adverts just say upgraded bearing housing.

Are there any bb options for this stock turbo location?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 07:45 PM   #283
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
I was under the impression the Pure turbos were bb not jb, but now I notice their adverts just say upgraded bearing housing.

Are there any bb options for this stock turbo location?
Speedtech's Borgwarner EFR turbo options.

edit - I actually dont know if they still offer this anymore. But if they don't, then thats a huge shame because it was the best stage 3 turbo kit out there imo.
      03-22-2024, 09:47 PM   #284
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Speedtech's Borgwarner EFR turbo options.

edit - I actually dont know if they still offer this anymore. But if they don't, then thats a huge shame because it was the best stage 3 turbo kit out there imo.
Sadly, they don't anymore. I had to buy an external gate kit without a turbo from them and buy my own EFR for it separately. Since the EFR is longer than the turbos they offer, I'll need to do some modification for fitment.

They do offer some ball bearing options (Garret, PTE) but not EFR's anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:57 PM   #285
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Sadly, they don't anymore. I had to buy an external gate kit without a turbo from them and buy my own EFR for it separately. Since the EFR is longer than the turbos they offer, I'll need to do some modification for fitment.

They do offer some ball bearing options (Garret, PTE) but not EFR's anymore.
Ah, that's unfortunate.
      03-23-2024, 12:18 PM   #286
mledfo2
Rep

I'm super torn between the Pure 750 and Mosselman turbo. I'm slightly scared to go with Pure again since my PS2 started leaking oil in such a short time even on low boost.

I like the fact that Mosselman use brand new housings and haven't heard of any failures with their S55 kits. However, the new manifold on the 750 combined with the new oil seals might give it that edge on long term durability (vs stock restricted mani). 🤷

Wish our turbos were easier to install like the B58 and then I'd just pick one and send it lol
Appreciate 0