BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Dealership / Delivery Issue - Please Advise

06-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
PGHM2
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 LBB 6MT

Angry Dealership / Delivery Issue - Please Advise

Today was supposed to be my PCD delivery day...unfortunately I had some major setbacks with the dealership, and I need the forum's help / advice on what to do.....

Went to sign for my M2 yesterday and realized the car I went over with my sales advisor and the car I was purchasing were different:

M2 I built: LBB, 6MT, Apple CarPlay, Black Kidney grilles and side grilles, Stainless pedals, carbon fiber and alcantara trim package (Total MSRP: $55,450)

M2 I was signing for: LBB, 6MT, Apple CarPlay, Executive Package and M Drivers Package. (Total MSRP: $58,395)

Now, I understand the options I wanted are port installed and I can get them added. So this is not the end of the world, but I need to know how to handle the dealership...

I received $3,900 worth of options that I didn't want. The GM of the store and I are close, but this was business, so he told me he would knock $2,400 off MSRP and put in the kidney grilles and side grilles. Basically I am still paying for the Executive Package and I don't get the SS pedals or Alcantara... ($1,200+ have to pay on my own).

Additionally, because of this mix up, I ended up missing my flight down to SC for my PCD. Right now my car is sitting in SC, I did not get my PCD experience, I have this M drivers package I don't want, Exec. package which I can deal with but didn't want, I ended up paying more for my car than I wanted, and don't have my port installed options...

Does anyone on here know who I can contact to get this made right? I am not looking to screw anyone over, I just want to get the options I ordered and not have to pay for the ones I didn't order, and still be able to have my track and PCD experience...Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
drewF87
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 AW, 6MT

Do you have a copy of the build sheet? The one you spec'd out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
ColumbusBigHouse
Rep
Drives: 435xi

Yes, I actually know what to do

I had a friend who picked up his M3 that did not have the sunroof he ordered. A sunroof was a big deal to him. The dealer was playing hardball, and offered him free rust protection on his Lease! So he called BMW USA and had a nice long talk with them.

Long story short, he was met at the dealership by the owner and offered a grand or so off his car to accept the car without the sunroof.

Call BMW USA and talk to them.
Appreciate 3
      06-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

They failed to deliver the car you ordered. You are not obligated to go through with the deal. Figure out what the options you wanted will cost you and ask the dealership to give you the car at the price you ordered it at minus whatever those options will cost to buy and install. If the dealership balks, walk. Then call BMW USA and let them know about your experience.
Appreciate 3
zenmaster1576.50
dtmurf480.00
      06-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHM2 View Post
Today was supposed to be my PCD delivery day...unfortunately I had some major setbacks with the dealership, and I need the forum's help / advice on what to do.....

Went to sign for my M2 yesterday and realized the car I went over with my sales advisor and the car I was purchasing were different:

M2 I built: LBB, 6MT, Apple CarPlay, Black Kidney grilles and side grilles, Stainless pedals, carbon fiber and alcantara trim package (Total MSRP: $55,450)

M2 I was signing for: LBB, 6MT, Apple CarPlay, Executive Package and M Drivers Package. (Total MSRP: $58,395)

Now, I understand the options I wanted are port installed and I can get them added. So this is not the end of the world, but I need to know how to handle the dealership...

I received $3,900 worth of options that I didn't want. The GM of the store and I are close, but this was business, so he told me he would knock $2,400 off MSRP and put in the kidney grilles and side grilles. Basically I am still paying for the Executive Package and I don't get the SS pedals or Alcantara... ($1,200+ have to pay on my own).

Additionally, because of this mix up, I ended up missing my flight down to SC for my PCD. Right now my car is sitting in SC, I did not get my PCD experience, I have this M drivers package I don't want, Exec. package which I can deal with but didn't want, I ended up paying more for my car than I wanted, and don't have my port installed options...

Does anyone on here know who I can contact to get this made right? I am not looking to screw anyone over, I just want to get the options I ordered and not have to pay for the ones I didn't order, and still be able to have my track and PCD experience...Any help would be much appreciated.
It only cost you the cost of the flight and your time to learn to never do business with these people again.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Given the limited supply, I would take the discount and ask for travel cost reimbursement (plus delivery to your dealership). Especially if you are in good relations with the manager.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
tstafford
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I wouldn't pay one dime more than what I was paying for the car I specced. You waited months to get exactly what you want at the price you agreed. They need to eat this for screwing up the spec.

(All of that is assuming you can produce proof of your original order confirmed by them)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Does anyone on here know who I can contact to get this made right?
Why did you take the car? There is no contacting anyone to "make things right". Every dealer is a stand alone enterprise that does what they consider to be in their best interest.

You should have passed on that unit and re-ordered. Why would you let the dealer screw you like that???
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
Destroya371.00
      06-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

I'm not sure what I would do in this situation. At the very least I'd get them to knock off the cost of the M Drivers Package (which they effectively did by knocking off $2400 which is only a $100 shy of that cost). The cost of the executive package isn't trivial, but it at least gives features you have with the car instead of 1 day at the track and a top speed you may never reach.

I guess you would also have to find out how long it would take to get an allocation to order what you want and weigh that against your desire to get the car now. The tricky thing is that the dealers bottom line is likely his cost to transfer the car from the performance center to his dealership or one that has a prospective buyer. Past that it's just how far they are willing to bend to maintain good will.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
PGHM2
Rep

Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewF87 View Post
Do you have a copy of the build sheet? The one you spec'd out.
So of course the sales rep never gave me a spec sheet on the build. He wrote it down because the system was down when he was building the car, but I do have emails that were sent back and forth and he conveniently 'couldn't find the sheet'.

-------- UPDATE -------

I went to talk to the GM today and he took me to a private room where we sat down and had a long discussion.

He will be including everything that I had on the original build: SS pedals, Kidney/side kidney and the CF and Alcantara. He will be shipping the car here for delivery, and I will get the chance to have the PCD experience at a later date.

Also, he said that for my time and all of the travel headaches, he will help me out when I need tires / winter set up, BMW gear, discount on tint and or wrap, and anything else he can do to make it right.

The sales advisor, who apparently is their top guy, was worthless and unhelpful. His suggestion was I could rent a car and drive to Spartanburg (8-9 hours) and still make it for another PCD date.

Luckily I was booked on SW airlines, so the cost of the flight doesn't come in to play. I may still call BMW USA to tell them about the experience and how although I am pretty frustrated with what happened and they need to do a better job of training their sales advisors, I was pleased that the GM was willing and able to make things right.

All in all, I will be receiving my M2 (loaner in meantime...) with 6MT, LBB, Exec, M Drivers Package, Apple CarPlay, SS pedals, Black Kidney and side Kidney, CF and Alcantara, AND the Alcantara Steering Wheel for $500 more than the original cost (before mark up) that I was paying. It was a hell of a two days, but I can't wait to get my car and now I have added safety features...

Thank you all for your continued support and help. The bimmerpost community has been wonderful
Appreciate 8
zenmaster1576.50
drewF8726.00
AndyinHou479.00
ried791.50
Aloha Joe393.00
ABPReader215.00
LBBF87524.50
      06-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #11
PGHM2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
Why did you take the car? There is no contacting anyone to "make things right". Every dealer is a stand alone enterprise that does what they consider to be in their best interest.

You should have passed on that unit and re-ordered. Why would you let the dealer screw you like that???
At the time I was just trying to get the paperwork done and get to the airport for the PCD. I knew the conversation wouldn't end there. I took the car, because they had 4 people waiting for slots, this dealership hasn't received many allocations, I knew that it would be 6+ months before I would get my car, I wouldn't have a car to drive in the mean time, and it is my 3rd BMW from this dealership and I know they want me to continue coming back to service the cars there.

It was rushed, and I am glad I missed the flight so I could talk with the GM to get what I wanted. If the car was missing options I wanted that couldn't be installed or the color was wrong, then it would have been a different story. The fact that it is the right color, nothing is missing, and the PIO can be put on at a later date, I was ok with negotiating.

Not many people get to negotiate on an M2, so I feel like in the end I almost won a little, albeit I needed a stiff drink and some advil to cope ha.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #12
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

It almost sounds like they sold your car to someone else and gave you whatever they could get their hands on.
      06-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #13
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

It sounds as if the GM did everything he could to make right with you. So I'm not sure contacting BMWNA is... fair? Or if you do, at least mention that whilst the SA screwed up royally, the GM bent over backwards to fix things (including probably digging into the dealerships profits for the port installed parts, and shipping down from the performance center to the dealership - and offering you assistance with future wear and tear / winter tires, etc).

That said, I'd certainly write an official complaint that can go in the original SA's file.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstafford View Post
I wouldn't pay one dime more than what I was paying for the car I specced. You waited months to get exactly what you want at the price you agreed. They need to eat this for screwing up the spec.

(All of that is assuming you can produce proof of your original order confirmed by them)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post

It's not as easy as you think guys, as I went through a similar situation when I custom ordered a car awhile back.

While you have a signed contract with monies paid. It is for a car with the specific options, color, etc that you chose for a specific price. The contract does not specify an exact delivery date, nor does it say, if the dealer screws up or said car gets damaged during delivery, you get to choose or demand the replacement car of your choice.

In my case, the sales guy called me to come in and pick up my new car. He never told me over the phone that they messed up the order. So I went in the next day exited to pick it up, and at that time is when he informed me of the error. Imagine my shock! I guess they hoped I'd still buy the car if they gave me a small additional discount. I was very upset and asked to speak to the GM but unfortunately he was off. In hindsight, it might have been good that the GM was off, as I was probably too upset to think rationally.

So I called my attorney classmate for advice, met for a beer, where he looked over the contract and basically informed me of the info, listed 2 paragraphs above. So basically what he said is, I don't have much options and it was time to renegotiate with the GM this time, in hopes of getting a better deal as I have some leverage now. The GM does not want me going to BBB with a legitimate complaint.

Long story short, the GM came back to me with 2 options. 1 (a dealer swap), a higher version of what I ordered, MSRP was $2,900 higher than what I ordered but I'd have to pay $700 additional, get my car in 2 days. 2, they would reorder my correct car, I could wait another 3-4 months and they would discount an additional $1,000 off my prior negotiated price.

I chose option 1 and was very happy I did, the upgrades was worth the $700. So OP, you did good.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #15
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I think this worked out for the best - and PCD without driving your car back is not a bad thing!

And the exec package is a good thing to have - period.

I would be curious on a couple of things however
1. Did you sign a sales order? My sales guy (who I also consider a friend) still makes me go through all the proper steps.
2. Did you track it on bmwusa? You should have been able to see the mix up a long time ago.
3. I thought I signed several days before PCD - why did they have you doing the day of?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
It almost sounds like they sold your car to someone else and gave you whatever they could get their hands on.
I am 100% convinced this is the likely cause..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #17
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

My guy had me review and initial the build sheet. Seems that's very smart for both of us.

I'm glad the GM stepped up and made it right. You can do performance delivery for a year after purchase. I'm going that way. I get the car sooner, can pick the date that's best for me and have some seat time before hitting the track.

Congrats on your car. Love that steering wheel, but can't justify it right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

I'd just let everything go at this point. I work as a dealership employee and the GM definitely did what was necessary to make things right. Plus BMW NA really won't have much care about your opinion of the sales person. If anything they'll just give the GM a talking to when he was the guy who made things right. Enjoy your car and move along. No point to possibly burn a bridge when you have s strong relationship with a store GM.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #19
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

sounds like they sold yours to someone else but whatever the reason I am glad they made you whole enough to feel ok about it and walk away with your baby. re exec, I don't get why folks don't care for this option other than its a tad overpriced or the look of the bumper inserts. the backup and drive alerts have saved my butt more than once when I was daydreaming or tired, I think you will be glad you have the package. enjoy your ride!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #20
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Which dealer was this? Also in Pittsburgh and waiting to hear back tomorrow to pull the trigger on an 2018 M2 order. Glad they did the right thing in the end
Appreciate 0