BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE exhaust rattle FIX!

05-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #1
Arnold_Powers
that M guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

MPE exhaust rattle FIX!

Hello Forum Fam, I have been on the e9x forum for years and the f8x forum as well new to the F87 forum but this annoying exhaust rattle drove me nuts when I heard it. WOW.

Okay down to the fix.

I jacked the car on a lift, and the main issue here is the clamp when the mpe has been installed. I looked by the canister and it was so close to the heat shield by the rear diffuser I knew something was wrong. That is the rattle my friends either that or the support bar right under the clamp.

I simply loosened the exhaust clamp holding the oem mid section to the MPE rear section.

Push the pipes closer to each other and tighten the clamp back to where it should be. ( I personally pushed the exhaust can closer as my mechanic tightened the exhaust clamp)

NO MORE COLD START RATTLE.
Robin_NL8679.50
ried791.50
M2RAW120.00
      05-23-2017, 01:40 AM   #2
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 MY17 (March 2017)

Pics !!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
My cat back exhaust fixes to rattle have always been to remove any clamps, weld the sections and add an exhaust flex pipe to allow some movement. My last MPE on a 135 was to weld the clamp or remove the clamp and weld. My prior car needed a flex pipe to reduce vibration.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
Arnold_Powers
that M guy
United_States
Rep

Hey everyone so my brother took the m2 for a drive and came home saying it's rattling again... I'm guessing it loosened back up, anyone else experiencing this ? This is a new performance edition m2 should be most recent parts
      06-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #5
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold_Powers View Post
Hey everyone so my brother took the m2 for a drive and came home saying it's rattling again... I'm guessing it loosened back up, anyone else experiencing this ? This is a new performance edition m2 should be most recent parts
I went under and wrapped the exhaust section between the crossbar with exhaust wrap fabric. Stopped rattles for me.
Not sure if same applies to you.
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Arnold_Powers
that M guy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold_Powers View Post
I went under and wrapped the exhaust section between the crossbar with exhaust wrap fabric. Stopped rattles for me.
Not sure if same applies to you.
Weird... 4000 exhaust and it needs wrap to not rattle? There should be a BMW repair or fix for this
      06-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

The MPE is made by company not too far from where I live in UK. I took my car to them. They confirmed to me the rattling on cold start is 100% caused by people not pushing the tips ends 100% all the way home. This is the actual fix.
In reality, there is actually very little room for adjustment on the tips once the exhaust has been fitted. People are pulling the tips out waaaay to far to see the "M" logos.
If the complete system has been fitted correctly and aligned perfectly underneath the car then the tips should only require a few mm here and there for OCD adjustment.
The ends of the main stainless steel pipes coming from the muffler should not be seen through the perforations in the exhaust tips.
I guarantee if you unscrew, push right home, and torque back up, maybe a little more than the recommended 5nm (but don't go silly) your cold start rattle will go.
Appreciate 8
JustChris17426.00
TonySCV509.00
F87EVO4004.00
jas159897.50
      06-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
Dimis
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
The MPE is made by company not too far from where I live in UK. I took my car to them. They confirmed to me the rattling on cold start is 100% caused by people not pushing the tips ends 100% all the way home. This is the actual fix.
In reality, there is actually very little room for adjustment on the tips once the exhaust has been fitted. People are pulling the tips out waaaay to far to see the "M" logos.
If the complete system has been fitted correctly and aligned perfectly underneath the car then the tips should only require a few mm here and there for OCD adjustment.
The ends of the main stainless steel pipes coming from the muffler should not be seen through the perforations in the exhaust tips.
I guarantee if you unscrew, push right home, and torque back up, maybe a little more than the recommended 5nm (but don't go silly) your cold start rattle will go.
That is very intresting please can you post the name of the company that makes the exhaust in the UK and where you took your car ? I have the cold start rattle only for about 5 sec and then its gone but if there is such an easy fix i would love to fix it , also the exhaust tips are as you say pulled a bit further out than what i would like ie the m engraving on them shows its not hidden by the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 04:51 AM   #9
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
That is very intresting please can you post the name of the company that makes the exhaust in the UK and where you took your car ? I have the cold start rattle only for about 5 sec and then its gone but if there is such an easy fix i would love to fix it , also the exhaust tips are as you say pulled a bit further out than what i would like ie the m engraving on them shows its not hidden by the bumper.
https://redarcheng.co.uk/
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #10
Arnold_Powers
that M guy
United_States
Rep

I understand but I am in belief that it is coming from the main connection under the car. Will be taking the vehicle into the dealer tomorrow for warranty.
      06-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #11
Arnold_Powers
that M guy
United_States
Rep

I'm pretty sure they just brought the pipes closer and re tightened the clamp today at service under warranty. Let's see if it comes loose again
      06-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #12
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I did this last week and the rattle has been reduced, but it's not completely gone.
My tips were sticking out quite a lot which I thought looked a tad silly, so was glad to discover they could go further back (in). But it hasn't completely solved the issue. Also, I'm pretty sure it's only the right side that makes the rattling sound on my car. It now only does this for a second on cold start since moving the tips.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:26 AM   #13
zhihong.james
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Quote:
Where did you find the recommended torque for the mounting screws is "5NM"?
I found the 5nm is just not tight enough.

Update: never mind, wrong conversion, 5nm actually equals to 44.25 in-lb. it's pretty tight.
Appreciate 1
Wilsm2187.50
      06-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #14
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhihong.james View Post
Where did you find the recommended torque for the mounting screws is "5NM"?
I found the 5nm is just not tight enough.

Update: never mind, wrong conversion, 5nm actually equals to 44.25 in-lb. it's pretty tight.
Its on the instructions that come with the tips. I just increased the torque by hand until i was satisfied it was tighter but not mad tight.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 05:38 AM   #15
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

@ OP, and BishUK
I had the MPE rattle and I told my dealership about your ideas/fix.
The tips are now +/- 2 inches(5cm) more inward below the diffuser rearbumperr than before. And the coldstart rattle is gone. Thanks both.

Cheers
Robin

Now:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/Mokkiwokki/ex3_zpsilbuipop.png

Before)I know angle of picture is different....
Attached Images

Last edited by Robin_NL; 06-30-2017 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
BishUK440.00
      06-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #16
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Ok, guess I am going to have to try getting the tips moved more inward. The tips look pretty good although seems they can go in a bit more. I am now going on my 4th clamp, coming pretty much completely loose after every track day/weekend. This is BS and is driving me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #17
ben_lzn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M pkg

Had the exact same thing with mine and pushing them further in fixed the problem as well
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #18
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY17 | M2 | DCT

More info about the manufacturer.

https://redarcheng.co.uk/news/bmw-m2...duction-ramps/
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #19
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Nice...I always thought the tips stuck out too far...anybody know the socket size for the clamp bolt?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #20
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjoey View Post
Ok, guess I am going to have to try getting the tips moved more inward. The tips look pretty good although seems they can go in a bit more. I am now going on my 4th clamp, coming pretty much completely loose after every track day/weekend. This is BS and is driving me nuts!
My inner tips were in all the way, the outer could go in another inch but looked like crap. The tips are sooo lite weight, having a hard time believing they could actually cause any trouble.

Went to the dealership today and escalated the issue with the service manager. The head tech had a new fix to resolve this issue. Not only was my exhaust rattling but is coming loose at the clamp. They heated up the MPE side of the exhaust pipe and widened a half inch of so of the pipe and put a new clamp on. This seems to have resolved the issue for good for a couple other cars, will see how it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 05:03 AM   #21
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
My inner tips were in all the way, the outer could go in another inch but looked like crap. The tips are sooo lite weight, having a hard time believing they could actually cause any trouble.

Went to the dealership today and escalated the issue with the service manager. The head tech had a new fix to resolve this issue. Not only was my exhaust rattling but is coming loose at the clamp. They heated up the MPE side of the exhaust pipe and widened a half inch of so of the pipe and put a new clamp on. This seems to have resolved the issue for good for a couple other cars, will see how it holds up.

My dealer also tightened /fixed the loose clamp(s?) again and even welded it(so I've been told)

So far so good.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #22
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Quote:

So, I know that If I have Sterling put on my MPE and there's an issue they may have a fix for the rattle.

What clamp is the one that's coming loose?
Appreciate 0