BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Ohlins DFV Install/Review

04-15-2017, 02:34 AM   #1
'Q
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Ohlins DFV Install/Review

I'm at the shop as we speak installing M2 specific DFV's. This is not a modified M3/M4 kit from Ohlins.

The guys from Ohlins came all the way here to install the first M2 official kit, but I requested mine to have different rear spring setup for more stance. Can't wait till the guys from Ohlins are done with installing and setting it up for me. Will post my first impression about the kit once they ate done installing.

G11 7Series - Maserati Ghibli - Audi B8 RS4
Past: Alpina E92 B3 - GTR33 - GTR35 - Supra - VW Beetle Cup Edition - DC5 Type R Turbo

Last edited by 'Q; 04-20-2017 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 3
S1monQc223.50
SeanWRT3179.00
      04-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep

NICE! Cant wait to hear your first impressions

Last edited by mlust; 04-16-2017 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
'Q80.00
      04-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
LindsayEOD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3MC

Look forward to the review
Appreciate 1
'Q80.00
      04-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
'Q
Private
Rep

So, the drive, and handling was above my expectations. I am used to Coilovers, but this is my first set of Ohlins and boy I'm glad I did not go for the yellow and purple brand, I've tried them out on a friend's car, they were good but not as good as The Ohlins and he agrees as well and will be changing his set soon..you can't compare both, the Ohlins is something else. Comparing the shaft on the Ohlins to the other brand just says it all, you can see a huge difference in size, plus Its dramatically lighter than the other brand. The Ohlins is made out of Aluminum and the other brand is made out of steel.

Driving normally, at cruise speeds on rough roads feels smoother than stock, but with a firmer rebound. I went with the mid settings for now which is in between the "Winding road" and "track" settings, 7 clicks up front and 5 clicks at the rear.

Im going out in a bit for a spirited drive and will report back ASAP.

Last edited by 'Q; 04-15-2017 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Johnsonuspp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I am sorry for asking the obvious, but what does dmv stand for?, ball park on how much it costs and are they available for purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Q View Post
So, the drive, and handling was above my expectations. I am used to Coilovers, but this is my first set of Ohlins and boy I'm glad I did not go for the yellow and purple brand, I've tried them out on a friend's car, they were good but not as good as The Ohlins and he agrees as well and will be changing his set soon..you can't compare both, the Ohlins is something else. Comparing the shaft on the Ohlins to the other brand just says it all, you can see a huge difference in size, plus Its dramatically lighter than the other brand. The Ohlins is made out of Aluminum and the other brand is made out of steel.

Driving normally, at cruise speeds on rough roads feels smoother than stock, but with a firmer rebound. I went with the mid settings for now which is in between the "Winding road" and "track" settings, 7 clicks up front and 5 clicks at the rear.

Im going out in a bit for a spirited drive and will report back ASAP.

If you have any questions, go ahead, it will make it easier for me to answer your questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
'Q
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonuspp View Post
I am sorry for asking the obvious, but what does dmv stand for?, ball park on how much it costs and are they available for purchase.
Long read, from Ohlins:

So what is DFV? It is Dual Flow Valve technology – and it sets us apart from our competitors. Only Öhlins has DFV technology on its road and track products.

With DFV, the dual flow valve gives the same characteristics on rebound as it does on compression, thanks the damper fluid having a consistent path of flow in both directions. This means that the wheel and tyre can quickly and effectively resume their important position back on the ground, providing grip and traction. The new Öhlins R&T range uses DFV technology on every single fitment, making it the perfect upgrade for the enthusiast that needs comfort and agility in the one unit.

Figure 1: (Compression flow) At low shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the shaft jet bleed (lower dotted arrow). At higher shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the compression ports in the piston (upper dotted arrow). At very high shaft speeds, or during sudden shaft accelerations, oil can also escape through the compression ports in the DFV, increasing comfort. Figure 2: (Rebound flow) At low shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the shaft jet bleed (lower dotted arrow). At higher shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the rebound ports in the piston (upper dotted arrow). At very high shaft speeds, or during sudden shaft accelerations, oil can also escape through the rebound ports in the DFV, maintaining tyre contact with the road.

Because DFV opens more quickly and easily on minor road imperfections, ride comfort is surprisingly supple and more akin to an OEM strut than a coilover set-up. Over undulating surfaces, the compliancy of the R&T units allows the car to crest bumps and pot-holes, whilst still keep stable and in control. Traction is always maintained at its optimum level. When comparing suspension, why settle for second best?

Figure 3: (Vehicle – no DFV) Without DFV the oil can not flow through the piston quickly enough on the rebound stroke after hitting a bump, so the tyre is not able to stay in contact with the road.

Figure 4: (Vehicle – DFV technique) The DFV valve opens, letting the oil flow quicker through the piston on the rebound stroke after hitting a bump, enabling the tyre to stay in contact with the road.

Figure 5: Thermal Expansion

These kits all work well ‘out of the box’, but there’s still plenty of adjustment for you to set things your way. You like stiff and reactive? Or soft and forgiving? It’s all there. Too much low speed rebound damping can have an adverse effect on grip, so the easily accessible adjuster at the base of the Öhlins units allows small, but positive increments of fine tuning, so you can take into account every single parameter. Sounds complicated? Nothing could be further for the truth. Just a few clicks either way from our factory settings will soon have your car responding precisely to your inputs and driving style.

Most of the Road & Track McPherson struts also feature camber adjustable upper and lower mounts to give you the possibility to fine tune your wheels for the right occasion – whether you want to go for a ride in your neighborhood or take your car for a spin at the track on a weekend.

Past: Alpina E92 B3 - GTR33 - GTR35 - Supra - VW Beetle Cup Edition - DC5 Type R Turbo
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
'Q
Private
Rep

Just came back from a spirited drive ( on sport+ ) on mostly the same roads i go for with various cars. When the M2 had the stock suspension on, it cheated me most of the times, giving me different feedback and felt very artificial. With the Ohlins on, the car obviously is handling much better, more tail happy ( because of the settings i went for ), the car sits pretty low, and not much suspension travel when flooring it, which makes it way more fun.

Still too early to tell and give you a full on review. I will be lowering the front a bit more and will play with the settings as well. As of now, i am very very happy with the product.

Appreciate 4
      04-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
'Q
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonuspp View Post

Not able to post prices yet. Availability tho according to some vendors have said June/July, but Ohlins confirmed to me that it will be released in May.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #9
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Just came back from a spirited drive ( on sport+ ) on mostly the same roads i go for with various cars. When the M2 had the stock suspension on, it cheated me most of the times, giving me different feedback and felt very artificial. With the Ohlins on, the car obviously is handling much better, more tail happy ( because of the settings i went for ), the car sits pretty low, and not much suspension travel when flooring it, which makes it way more fun.

Still too early to tell and give you a full on review. I will be lowering the front a bit more and will play with the settings as well. As of now, i am very very happy with the product.
Do you mind posting a pic or take some measurements of the drop possible with the Ohlins? Thanks!
Appreciate 1
MR_M2517.50
      04-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
'Q
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1monQc View Post
Do you mind posting a pic or take some measurements of the drop possible with the Ohlins? Thanks!
Ill take a pic tomorrow. The car is sitting dead straight, the rear tires are nearly tucked in on this setting. Will do a before and after i raise the rears.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Not able to post prices yet. Availability tho according to some vendors have said June/July, but Ohlins confirmed to me that it will be released in May.
Just waiting for rear springs to arrive from Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #12
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Update?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1monQc View Post
Update?
M2 specific kits have started to ship with your choice of rear Swift spring rates(Ohlins specific springs will follow as soon as they arrive from Ohlins Sweden).
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      04-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
MerlinPurple
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB

Ohlins are expensive, but simply put... wonderfully engineered!

Had them on my E46 M3 - unlike cheap systems they never rattled and each change of adjustment actually did something!

Quite tempted to buy them for the M2 but with street friendly spring rates hmmm.

Anyway, here's the vid of my install:

04-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPurple View Post
Ohlins are expensive, but simply put... wonderfully engineered!

Had them on my E46 M3 - unlike cheap systems they never rattled and each change of adjustment actually did something!

Quite tempted to buy them for the M2 but with street friendly spring rates hmmm.

Let us know if you have any questions. We are supplying our kits with a pair of rear springs at the rate of your choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #16
'Q
Private
Rep

Here is the setup now, it's sitting dead straight but appears that the front is higher because of the tire/fender gap. I'll be lowering the front a tiny bit more once the new wheels are on.

The suspension kit is very very impressive, I am very happy with it. Even with this setting, it drives in a good manner, does not bounce, and takes every bump and uneven roads like a champ. Steering feel and response is now much quicker than before on stock suspension. The setting I'm on right now was done and installed by Ohlins themselves. I requested it to be tail happier, and with just a few clicks they gave me what i requested, a very naughty little bitch of a car! It truly did transfer the way the car behaves. I really recommend Ohlins over any other brand on the M2. ( I've tried a few other brands, they're good but not excellent )
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
S1monQc223.50
      05-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #17
Leonidm2
Private
Rep
Drives: bmwm2

Already in the order, 8-10 weeks waiting, I hope it's worth it
Thanks for your review
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #18
'Q
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidm2 View Post
Thanks for your review
You're welcome! You went for the right choice.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 11:08 PM   #19
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidm2 View Post
Thanks for your review
I guess it is as popular in Europe as it is in the US!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 06:59 AM   #20
Leonidm2
Private
Rep
Drives: bmwm2

Quote:
Here is the setup now, it's sitting dead straight but appears that the front is higher because of the tire/fender gap. I'll be lowering the front a tiny bit more once the new wheels are on.

The suspension kit is very very impressive, I am very happy with it. Even with this setting, it drives in a good manner, does not bounce, and takes every bump and uneven roads like a champ. Steering feel and response is now much quicker than before on stock suspension. The setting I'm on right now was done and installed by Ohlins themselves. I requested it to be tail happier, and with just a few clicks they gave me what i requested, a very naughty little bitch of a car! It truly did transfer the way the car behaves. I really recommend Ohlins over any other brand on the M2. ( I've tried a few other brands, they're good but not excellent )
Hello, put the Ohlins, but on their recommendations front was higher than the back, problem is that i did not measure the stock car, befo installing the Ohlins.Lowered front to 8mm.Name:  IMG_0646.PNG
Views: 6357
Size:  1.31 MB
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #21
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Quote:
Long read, from Ohlins:

So what is DFV? It is Dual Flow Valve technology – and it sets us apart from our competitors. Only Öhlins has DFV technology on its road and track products.

With DFV, the dual flow valve gives the same characteristics on rebound as it does on compression, thanks the damper fluid having a consistent path of flow in both directions. This means that the wheel and tyre can quickly and effectively resume their important position back on the ground, providing grip and traction. The new Öhlins R&T range uses DFV technology on every single fitment, making it the perfect upgrade for the enthusiast that needs comfort and agility in the one unit.

Figure 1: (Compression flow) At low shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the shaft jet bleed (lower dotted arrow). At higher shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the compression ports in the piston (upper dotted arrow). At very high shaft speeds, or during sudden shaft accelerations, oil can also escape through the compression ports in the DFV, increasing comfort. Figure 2: (Rebound flow) At low shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the shaft jet bleed (lower dotted arrow). At higher shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the rebound ports in the piston (upper dotted arrow). At very high shaft speeds, or during sudden shaft accelerations, oil can also escape through the rebound ports in the DFV, maintaining tyre contact with the road.

Because DFV opens more quickly and easily on minor road imperfections, ride comfort is surprisingly supple and more akin to an OEM strut than a coilover set-up. Over undulating surfaces, the compliancy of the R&T units allows the car to crest bumps and pot-holes, whilst still keep stable and in control. Traction is always maintained at its optimum level. When comparing suspension, why settle for second best?

Figure 3: (Vehicle – no DFV) Without DFV the oil can not flow through the piston quickly enough on the rebound stroke after hitting a bump, so the tyre is not able to stay in contact with the road.

Figure 4: (Vehicle – DFV technique) The DFV valve opens, letting the oil flow quicker through the piston on the rebound stroke after hitting a bump, enabling the tyre to stay in contact with the road.

Figure 5: Thermal Expansion

These kits all work well ‘out of the box’, but there’s still plenty of adjustment for you to set things your way. You like stiff and reactive? Or soft and forgiving? It’s all there. Too much low speed rebound damping can have an adverse effect on grip, so the easily accessible adjuster at the base of the Öhlins units allows small, but positive increments of fine tuning, so you can take into account every single parameter. Sounds complicated? Nothing could be further for the truth. Just a few clicks either way from our factory settings will soon have your car responding precisely to your inputs and driving style.

Most of the Road & Track McPherson struts also feature camber adjustable upper and lower mounts to give you the possibility to fine tune your wheels for the right occasion – whether you want to go for a ride in your neighborhood or take your car for a spin at the track on a weekend.
Regarding this technical explanation - while Ohlins manufactures a very reputable product, and may have a unique design around this particular three-way damper (e.g., patent/patent pending), it is not a technology leap over others (KW, JRZ, Bilstein). The figure 1 description is the concept of high speed compression damping - which several other manufacturers offer if it's a three-way damper. My take is that, unless you're tracking your car, it can amount to overkill for the street - especially the level of set-up and testing (test-driving) required to determine overall settings (compromise).

Did they provide a roll-center evaluation for the M2? I'm curious as to where they set the ride height for the optimal roll-center.

Thanks for all the info. These are on my list for evaluation/possible purchase!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #22
Acexxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06 M6 F87 M2

I personally would think that the Ohlins DFV is better than KW V3, but not there yet if you compare the DFV to the KW Clubsport.
Appreciate 1