M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
Don't feed the troll...
What troll?

Last edited by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights; 01-21-2017 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #90
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I'll say this. If I were to call myself "2018 TTRS Roadster", and then spend a lot of time on a TTRS board, explaining in several posts why I didn't want a TTRS because it was for my purposes not as good as an M2, and then, when other people disagreed, tell them to tell me how good it feels later, when I am driving a car that doesn't look as good, costs 15% more, has no steering feel at all compared to the M2, and not only doesn't have a stick option, but has an intrusive AWD system that is front wheel drive biased---then I might be a troll.
Appreciate 1
LBBDrew336.00
      01-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #91
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
As for lap time results, the TT RS is 1-2~ seconds slower than the C7 'vette, according to a Spanish article.

The M2 is slower than the C7.
Anyways, we will see a lot more results pour in with time, I look forward to them.

You have to agree though, if you never track your car, it might very well be the better car, no?

Yes, I will admit that...it might be. I would have to drive it, though, and I also would have to be willing to forsake a stick. Which I am not. I may be among the last of the Mohicans, but for as long as I can I am going to have at least two manual trannies in my garage, including my DD...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #92
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
The entire engine is in front of the front axle; 59% of the car's weight is on the front tires. The design is just inherently wrong for a performance/sports car.
Appreciate 4
BruceM983.00
Robin_NL8679.50
      01-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #93
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I'll say this. If I were to call myself "2018 TTRS Roadster", and then spend a lot of time on a TTRS board, explaining in several posts why I didn't want a TTRS because it was for my purposes not as good as an M2, and then, when other people disagreed, tell them to tell me how good it feels later, when I am driving a car that doesn't look as good, costs 15% more, has no steering feel at all compared to the M2, and not only doesn't have a stick option, but has an intrusive AWD system that is front wheel drive biased---then I might be a troll.
Why are you all negative about the TT RS?

Most of the members say, X car is good for Y, Z car is good for A.

You are all negative, borderline illogical really.

TT RS looks better according to most people, sounds better according to most people IN THIS SAME THREAD, is faster MOST probably, is more luxurious, is more technological, has a better audio system, brakes have more pistons...

Give me a damn break, it costs 15% more for a reason.

We all know the "cons" of AWD and less steering feel, why do you keep replying? I don't get it, maybe you're the troll after all, I bring in new information.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #94
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Why are you all negative about the TT RS?

Most of the members say, X car is good for Y, Z car is good for A.

You are all negative, borderline illogical really.

TT RS looks better according to most people, sounds better according to most people IN THIS SAME THREAD, is faster MOST probably, is more luxurious, is more technological, has a better audio system, brakes have more pistons...

Give me a damn break, it costs 15% more for a reason.

We all know the "cons" of AWD and less steering feel, why do you keep replying? I don't get it, maybe you're the troll after all, I bring in new information.
Why do you keep replying? I am perfectly logical. The better question, though, is why you continue to visit an M2 board to tout the supposed superiority for your purposes of the TTRS, which you have not driven. Seems like a strange place to do that, and on incomplete evidence.

Once again, the TTRS might be a great car for some purposes, including yours. But when somebody says, as a poster did, that he prefers the M2, and you decide to snark about how they should tell you how it feels to not be able to "catch up" to a currently unavailable car you have clearly decided you want, then what the hell is the point of that? It would be like a Corvette guy with a handle that says TTRS going on to a TTRS board and preaching about the superiority of a Corvette over the TTRS. No point to it.

The TTRS has great numbers, and a snazzy interior. I'm not at all sold on its supposedly better exterior looks--in my biased view, the best haunches around are those on a 930 Porsche, and the TTRS in comparison looks to me like a sexed-up Beetle. It is also, supposedly, numb, front-wheel biased, nose heavy and doesn't come with a stick. It is very unlikely to be a no brainer over the M2, especially among sport car enthusiasts who actually use their cars on both road and track. And, in fact, there already are several reviews in which the reviewers note all the good things about the TTRS and still say they would pick the M2.

So let's just agree to disagree. Or, maybe better put, let's just agree that somebody can pick an M2 over the TTRS, or the other way around, and be perfectly "logical" in his decision to do so, and therefore in his decision not to pick the other car.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      01-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #95
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV
The entire engine is in front of the front axle; 59% of the car's weight is on the front tires. The design is just inherently wrong for a performance/sports car.
Yes but the engine is lighter this time around which might help
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #96
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM
Audis new quattro system has a more rear wheel drive bias so your argument is invalid
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 12:32 AM   #97
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZING View Post
I read in an article from a racing driver that the engine being lighter changes the balance down to 57% on front, a small amount but still improvement.

Just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 12:52 AM   #98
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Audis new quattro system has a more rear wheel drive bias so your argument is invalid
That is not what the reviews I linked to earlier in this thread have said. Reviewers note a significant front drive bias. One article put it at 80% to the front wheels in normal driving. And my "argument" is based on a lot more than front wheel bias in any event.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      01-22-2017, 03:50 AM   #99
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
True, 57 lbs lighter, it might help.

As far as its AWD system, 80% of power is delivered to front wheels during normal driving. Power is sent rearward during more spirited driving. But how much more rearward? Even if it's 50%, that's still not enough. That number needs to be at least 70%, like xDrive, which I can contest, is only "pretty" sport oriented. The new E63 with its 20/80 permanent split is way more ideal for a high performance car. Audi should've copied their blueprint as opposed to the variable split nonsense, ala the CLA45.

http://www.caranddriver.com/audi/tt-rs#
Appreciate 2
BruceM983.00
      01-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #100
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Btw, I read that the TT RS's motor is a detuned version of another model, does this mean it will be more tuning capable than the M2?

Check out this article by a racing driver.

http://jalopnik.com/the-fierce-400-h...nto-1786806589

"The system’s four modes—comfort, auto, dynamic, and individual—affect the characteristics of the drivetrain along with the steering, gearbox, and exhaust note characteristics. In dynamic mode the system sends more power to the rear earlier, allowing for a much more rear-wheel drive like feel. Compared to the previous model the latest system is far more...predictive, I guess, would be the best word for it. There is no apparent lag in transition of power from front to rear."

Last edited by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights; 01-22-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #101
wigit
Rep
Drives: M2 on order

Quote:
I understand.

However, let me know how it feels to never be able to catch up to the TT RS, not sound as good and not look as good, for barely 10k more. Plus those interiors...
I am sure I can cope, funnily enough the M2 is the only car where I have not got overly concerned about the numbers and it has not bothered me, its about how it feels

The TT-RS is an internet numbers car and seems to be about how fast it is, there is no doubting it is fast but does it truly engage

I know people with RS3s and all they say is its fast and makes a great noise, they never discuss balance and turn in

I have to admit the Audi quilted leather interiors do not do it for me

If I was spending that money I would have the Cayman S even though its a four cylinder
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #102
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

M2 will be revised + will have a detuned S55.
If now it migtht be close to TT RS on track, that will be changed soon 😉
Keep in mind that BMW M offered just the normal variant/ not Comp Pack or CS yet.
Audi is keep trying and the only chapter that they are good at is the standing sprint.
On track they're not on par with a Golf (S3, RS3 vs R) but they're more expensive.
So you should try the LCI R or just get the real man RWD sport cars

Last edited by vladberca; 01-26-2017 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 11:53 PM   #103
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.tf1.fr/tf1/auto-moto/vide...udi-tt-rs.html

TT RS vs M2

Tested both on track and road.

TT RS won both.

4:08 @ the track.
6:00 verdict.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #104
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
http://www.tf1.fr/tf1/auto-moto/vide...udi-tt-rs.html

TT RS vs M2

Tested both on track and road.

TT RS won both.

4:08 @ the track.
6:00 verdict.
Do we have a price yet?
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #105
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Do we have a price yet?
Not yet for USA. Still early.

Launches at summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 02:42 AM   #106
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
The OLED tail lights will almost certainly not make it to the US market, FWIW.

Haldex-based "Quattro" on the TTRS is at most a 50-50 split under normal driving conditions. The system is FWD-based, the front wheels are driven at all times, and there is a "bevel box" / "power take-off" attached to the transmission that behaves just like any other open diff. It spins the propshaft going to the rear end, and that's where the Haldex clutch sits. The rear diff is also open.

Under normal traction, the Haldex clutch can fully close, which would send at most 50% of the torque from the motor to the back (the other 50% to the front). If the front wheels are losing traction, then more of the torque is making it to the back, because the front wheels are at zero torque... but this doesn't mean the car will ever feel "rear biased."

The Mk2 version of the car can be made to bring its tail around in snow if you give it big whacks of throttle quickly, but the car then sorts itself out pretty rapidly and you get somewhere between 2 and 4wd (split across the two ends of the car, depending on where the traction is, because it has open diffs at both ends).

I currently have a Mk2 TTRS (which was 6-speed only in the US), and I'm looking at trading/selling for an M2 myself. The mk3 is definitely cool, but the worthless joke of a back seat is a problem for me. The Mk2 has language in the manual and on the door stickers that say "no passengers in back seat above 4'11"... meaning I can't stash my 5'2" wife in the back seat if I need to carry 3 actual adults.

If anyone has a 6MT M2 and is interested in getting into a 6MT TTRS, I'd be interested in taking over your lease or contract... :P
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #107
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

New link! Same video but now on YouTube.

6:05 - "For the road? TT RS, hands down. Can completely switch personalities with a button. Very accurate steering, I want the TT RS."

6:19 - "So on the track, the traction is just mindblowing, magnificent and so, so quick."

6:50 - "For sure I'd pick the TT RS, even though the M2 slides quite nicely, it is much slower."
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #108
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
New link! Same video but now on YouTube.

6:05 - "For the road? TT RS, hands down. Can completely switch personalities with a button. Very accurate steering, I want the TT RS."

6:19 - "So on the track, the traction is just mindblowing, magnificent and so, so quick."

6:50 - "For sure I'd pick the TT RS, even though the M2 slides quite nicely, it is much slower."
And yet there are several reviews out there, cited earlier in this thread, that come to the exact opposite conclusion. Fancy that.

Your obsession with this car is, in your words, "bordering on the illogical, really."
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #109
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
And yet there are several reviews out there, cited earlier in this thread, that come to the exact opposite conclusion. Fancy that.

Your obsession with this car is, in your words, "bordering on the illogical, really."
I don't even think he owns an M2. Every post of his on this thread is about how it's so much better then an M2 in every possible way. Doesn't sound like somebody who bought the car and actually chose it.

In most markets the TTRS is $10,000-15,000 more then the M2. Compare it to a similarly priced cayman S instead.

It looks nice and is no doubt a good performer with a nice interior, but it's too cute for me and I can't shake off the hair dresser image it has out of my mind.
Appreciate 2
BruceM983.00
Robin_NL8679.50
      02-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #110
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Slayer View Post
I don't even think he owns an M2. Every post of his on this thread is about how it's so much better then an M2 in every possible way. Doesn't sound like somebody who bought the car and actually chose it.

In most markets the TTRS is $10,000-15,000 more then the M2. Compare it to a similarly priced cayman S instead.

It looks nice and is no doubt a good performer with a nice interior, but it's too cute for me and I can't shake off the hair dresser image it has out of my mind.
And yet it clearly is not. Bad front bias in its AWD, numb steering, by descriptions nowhere near as chuckable, $15,000 more, can't fit anything other than midgets in the back, can't get a manual, etc....all the reasons cited by the many professional reviewers who prefer the M2.

Still, the man perseveres. Gotta give him that...
Appreciate 4
Robin_NL8679.50
No Boost4019.00