BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > '17 M2 vs. '18 M2LCI w/moonroof

06-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #45
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
I had a sunroof on my last three 3-series and would have ordered one if available. But to tell you the truth, I don't miss it on my M2.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      06-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #46
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaintjameshotel View Post
I'm 6'4....haven't had a concussion this far, not looking for one now
I'm more legs than torso but I found it a little tight. Sure I had about 2" above my head but any combination of readjusting myself and sitting up straight, or a bump had the top of my head hitting the roof.

Also when I leaned my head to the left (which I do often when at lights and such) my head wouldn't fit under where the roof meets the door frame. It actually got caught on the curvature of the ceiling.

And that's with the seat fully down. Is it doable? If you really really really really really want a roof. Sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 03:46 AM   #47
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

The Evo 8MR is probably close to 14 years old so that video is even older than the uploaded date.

I think Best Motoring is always funny to watch especially in the original Japanese release. With subs if needed. The International versions with the narrators can sound annoying and some of the nuances in the original language is lost.

I saw a guy recently switch to a Seibon carbon fiber hood. To achieve a similar effect as lowering the roof by 4kg would require the hood to shed 12kg. That's one big takeaway for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 03:50 AM   #48
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Please for the love of god, stop calling it a moon roof.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 06:51 AM   #49
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Why? Even BMW calls it a moonroof on its website and in the ordering materials.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #50
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1won View Post
In my case, I'd consider the weight of the moonroof version first because M2 is known to have body roll issues which I believe is partly due to heavy roof weight. I was going to get a 18 LCI with no moonroof so I can replace the steel roof with Carbon Fiber version. Once Moonroof is on, I think replacing the roof with the CF one would be much more difficult and maybe almost meaningless as I have seen from some previous sunroof m3s. But, that's just me. I'd never get a heavier top M2.
Quote:
Just drove my friends M3 and M2 to compare the two a month ago. Don't want to say too much about M2s that I felt lacking bc there were tons of good things I learned and you said you get an M2 soon, but the issues I mentioned were present. If you are not sure why the heavy top is causing more body roll, I'd just say it's just simple physics especially for smaller cars. But, M2 is a wide car so for some body roll is not an issue at all, for example my friend who owns the M2. In my case, it kinda was and if I were to get an M2, I'd not get a moonroof and replace the steel roof with a CF one. Cheers.
Quote:
I still believe roof weight is quite important and BMW did not just add CF roof for just cosmetic purposes. Weight distribution higher up top causes whole lot more body roll than the same weight more on the bottom. Try heavy helmet when taking on corners hard and see how you neck is so much more affected by the weight of the helmet.
You're entitled to your opinion.

I got approximately 23K kms on my M2 which features the optional sliding roof (when tilted, feel free to call it an 'air brake' or 'wing for stabilization purposes' ), just got back from another long trip to the mountains and very likely you are talking about another car.

Name:  TireTemps_June17.jpg
Views: 3731
Size:  227.0 KB
      06-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #51
K1won
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Rollercoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
You're entitled to your opinion.

I got approximately 23K kms on my M2 which features the optional sliding roof (when tilted, feel free to call it an 'air brake' or 'wing for stabilization purposes' ), just got back from another long trip to the mountains and very likely you are talking about another car.

Attachment 1645271
I never drove an M2 with sliding roof, but good for you if it works fine for you. I think the rooftop weights of the M2 would still bother me. That probably won't change. Take a look at the video clip where a Japanese driver doing twisties with 4kg rubber mat mounted on top of the vehicle. You'll see what I am talking about.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #52
M2GUY
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcaves View Post
Would he not be with the '17 delivered 7-12 months earlier AND ~2K cheaper?
Ask him that...? Clearly he's aware of what he's asking and still on the fence. If someone is that driven by the moon roof to even ask then they should wait for it in my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #53
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I never drove an M2 with sliding roof, but good for you if it works fine for you. I think the rooftop weights of the M2 would still bother me. That probably won't change. Take a look at the video clip where a Japanese driver doing twisties with 4kg rubber mat mounted on top of the vehicle. You'll see what I am talking about.
So you're confirming that without the moon roof the M2 DOESN'T have body roll issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #54
K1won
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
So you're confirming that without the moon roof the M2 DOESN'T have body roll issues?
first before you ask. I said heavier roofs make body roll worse, so told the OP I'd see if moonroof will add weight before considering the option.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #55
touareg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I had the same dilemma.

Every car I've ever owned had a sunroof or was a convertible. I use the sunroof just as much as the front windows and like having it slid open when it's not raining/snowing, even if it's a little chilly outside.

My '17 M2 arrives in about 4 weeks and I've been driving rental cars for the last 2 months until it gets here - I was living in SF where I decided to go carless, but recently took a job in LA and then decided to get the M2. Rotating through several rental cars by now, most of them without sunroofs, and I actually don't miss it that much, even though I'm spending 2 hours in traffic everyday and the weather is more than nice enough to crack the sunroof open.

Right now I have a Ford Edge with a HUGE panoramic sunroof, and I kinda agree with the comments that a smaller sunroof like that available on the 2 series isn't quite comparable to the big ones like I have now. The seating position of a crossover also makes me more aware that the sunroof is there, whereas in a more traditionally proportioned car I don't notice as much.

So for me, I don't think I'll miss not having a sunroof in my M2 that much. The final nail for me is that I'm getting the $2500 fleet discount on my '17 M2, and that ain't available for the '18 model. Well, assuming my dealer doesn't backstab me come delivery time...

The LCI would literally be the perfect M2 for me - I prefer to have the sunroof and LED head/taillights, and those are the major changes for the US market. But I just can't wait another 6/8/x months *and* give up the $2500 discount *and* take the MSRP bump.

But hey, if M2 resale values holds up, I can just take the '17 for now, wait for an '18 to arrive, and then do a swap without losing (much) money
      06-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #56
touareg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

BTW, the added weight of a sunroof never factored into my decision. I think it's valid for someone to not want the sunroof for weight reasons. For me, I just don't think I'd notice it at all unless I had another very similar car without a sunroof that I swapped between often. My car will be a DD and will rarely be driven in conditions where I think I'd feel the difference.
      06-24-2017, 02:11 AM   #57
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
first before you ask. I said heavier roofs make body roll worse, so told the OP I'd see if moonroof will add weight before considering the option.
Oh, I assure you, I have read the thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 04:46 AM   #58
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
So you suggest that the M2 has a "body roll issue" and that a glass roof makes the M2 "body roll issue" even worse ?

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Wish I could take you on board for a spirited stint through a couple of daunting mountain passes in the Alps or Dolomites, so that you could explain me exactly what you mean with the alleged "body roll issue".

Name:  Alps_CdlB_June17.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  427.1 KB
      06-24-2017, 06:00 AM   #59
K1won
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
So you suggest that the M2 has a "body roll issue" and that a glass roof makes the M2 "body roll issue" even worse ?

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Wish I could take you on board for a spirited stint through a couple of daunting mountain passes in the Alps or Dolomites, so that you could explain me exactly what you mean with the alleged "body roll issue".

Attachment 1645743
If the moonroof adds more weight than the steel roof. Yes. If lighter, no. And, no need to take me to the Dolomites to see the roof weight effect. You can imitate the Japanese experiment yourself to see how roof weight affects stablility of cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #60
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaintjameshotel View Post
Do I take this 17 and remain hopeful I'll love this car so much it won't much matter, or do I pass and try to secure an allocation for an 18 LCI?

What would you do?
I would spec the car exactly how YOU want it because in the end you're the one living with it and you should be happy with your purchase.

I personally love the slick top. My E46 and E92 had sunroofs and i wasn't a huge fan. While i would have loved a carbon roof a slick top is the next best option. I love how smooth it makes the interior and exterior look. Much cleaner in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #61
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I like having a moonroof also, but if I had a car at port llke you I couldn't wait. If you don't mind waiting, I'd say go from r the 18, I just couldn't do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #62
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Moon roof should be avoided of you track simply due to head room if you crave a nice upright seating position. Between automatic seats and the sunroof you do lose a bit of room.

It's also just more to places for the car to rattle or squeak. Considering its sort of a lame sunroof and not panoramic or anything. I'd pass on it and save 1500 bucks.

As for body roll differences that will be totally negligible. The answer for body roll is sway and strut bars. That over springs or struts imo since its pretty damn stiff already.
      06-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #63
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
If you are only worried about the height clearance when wearing a helmet couldn't you just open the moonroof while out on track?
stefan2346.50