BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Passenger side door handle issue. Need help.

05-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Long story short, some f***** smashed my passenger side window and stole a laptop and radar detector from my car (pics added).

Anyway, I'm having the window replaced and the shop had to take the door off in order to get all the broken glass out, but some still remains. I've been opening and shutting the passenger side door continuously listening to glass pinball down through the door to the bottom.

This is where I wonder if the shop jacked something up or if I'm losing my marbles. With the car locked, I have the key in pocket, slide my hand into the handle, and I hear a click come from somewhere near the gas tank while the door simultaneously unlocks. However, if I slide my hand back in the handle with the door already unlocked, I hear the click again. Time after time I hear this click. When I do the same thing on the drivers side, I hear no click.

Can someone else test this to see if hey experience the same thing? The car is going back to the shop tomorrow and I want to let them know something is wrong. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
Long story short, some f***** smashed my passenger side window and stole a laptop and radar detector from my car (pics added).

Anyway, I'm having the window replaced and the shop had to take the door off in order to get all the broken glass out, but some still remains. I've been opening and shutting the passenger side door continuously listening to glass pinball down through the door to the bottom.

This is where I wonder if the shop jacked something up or if I'm losing my marbles. With the car locked, I have the key in pocket, slide my hand into the handle, and I hear a click come from somewhere near the gas tank while the door simultaneously unlocks. However, if I slide my hand back in the handle with the door already unlocked, I hear the click again. Time after time I hear his click. When I do the same thing on the drivers side, I hear no click.

Can someone else test this to see if hey experience the same thing? The car is going back to the shop tomorrow and I want to let them know something is wrong. Thanks.
Pics of the damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #3
BFLY
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2020 BMW/M2C  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 3.5d  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

This is where I wonder if the shop jacked something up or if I'm losing my marbles. With the car locked, I have the key in pocket, slide my hand into the handle, and I hear a click come from somewhere near the gas tank while the door simultaneously unlocks. However, if I slide my hand back in the handle with the door already unlocked, I hear the click again. Time after time I hear his click. When I do the same thing on the drivers side, I hear no click.

Pics of the damage.
Some people have no respect!!

I tested my passenger door. The gas door lock is clicking each time as you indicated.

I'd take the door skin off and vacuum it out...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
Some people have no respect!!

I tested my passenger door. The gas door lock is clicking each time as you indicated.

I'd take the door skin off and vacuum it out...
Thanks for testing. I was also able to confirm this last night after much observation (opening, closing, and listening) haha.

Took my car back to the shop (Service King - DO NOT USE) this morning for the 3rd time and the shop manager agreed to personally take care of cleaning the glass out from the inside of the door. Apparently the process is quite intricate and short of taking the door off the car or getting a new door altogether, there is no way that every little piece of glass can be removed from the crevices. Guess I'll find out when I pick it up later. Hoping for the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 03:55 AM   #5
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sorry to hear your car got damaged but I have to call Bull S*** on the shop not being able to get all the glass 'bits' out. My wife's Q5 was broken into some time ago
and both the front and rear passengers side windows were shattered, bits of glass everywhere including inside both doors.

Took it to the Audi dealer to have it repaired and they got every single piece of glass! I've never found a single pics of broken glass in the car (and I've vacuumed it like 50 times since it happened) and both door are completely silent

Last edited by dtmurf; 05-21-2017 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #6
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Sorry to hear your car got damaged but I'm have to call Bull S*** on the shop not being able to get all the glass 'bits' out. My wife's Q5 was broken into some time ago
and both the front and rear passengers side windows were shattered, bits of glass everywhere including inside both doors.

Took it to the Audi dealer to have it repaired and they got every single piece of glass! I've never found a single pics of broken glass in the car (and I've vacuumed it like 50 times since it happened) and both door are completely silent
As it turns out, the shop I went to required 3 attempts to get all the glass out of the inside of the door. They claimed that my insurance adjuster wrote up the quote "a bit light" and only covered vacuuming the inside of the door out rather than removing additional components to get every last small piece. Honestly, it just amazes me that the shop did a bare minimum cleaning job and expected me to drive away with the door sounding like a baby rattle.

Last edited by Thespaz18; 05-21-2017 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
dtmurf477.00