BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Loss of power into 4th gear

04-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
tjmark
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Loss of power into 4th gear

Looking for advice. Ran my M2 at Laguna Seca yesterday and noticed coming down start finish straight going from 3rd to 4th gear, there seemed to be a significant power loss. I was running it very hard.

Perhaps a heat soak issue? time for an FMIC?

Anyone else experience this, thoughts, solutions.

Last edited by tjmark; 04-25-2018 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Were you running low on the gas? It happened to me at Laguna as well in my M4 and I was running very low on the gas. Another friend of mine had the same isssue when his tank was almost empty. Since then I always make sure I have at least half a tank before a session.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
tjmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Were you running low on the gas? It happened to me at Laguna as well in my M4 and I was running very low on the gas. Another friend of mine had the same isssue when his tank was almost empty. Since then I always make sure I have at least half a tank before a session.
I was at like 1/2 tank and the power loss only seemed to last about a sec.
Appreciate 1
zenohua112.00
      04-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmark View Post
I was at like 1/2 tank and the power loss only seemed to last about a sec.
Did you check your oil temp gauge? That would be a good indication if overheating played a role or not. If it was only 1 sec and you didn't get any warning lights or go into limp mode It doesn't seem like overheating,
It makes me think it was either traction control interference (if it was on) or a delay between shifts which can sometimes occur if you have a 6MT and upshift aggressively.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
tjmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Did you check your oil temp gauge? That would be a good indication if overheating played a role or not. If it was only 1 sec and you didn't get any warning lights or go into limp mode It doesn't seem like overheating,
It makes me think it was either traction control interference (if it was on) or a delay between shifts which can sometimes occur if you have a 6MT and upshift aggressively.
I had the oil temp showing in display and it was fine. It could have been a traction control thing. Although I was in sport plus mode. Interestingly I did notice traction control occasionally flash even in sport plus. It did feel like some sort of throttle delay. I shifted quickly and there was just a little delay before throttle response. Working on cutting that bit of time and approaching start finish I found it annoying.

Any way to get rid of the delay with quick upshifts?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had the oil temp showing in display and it was fine. It could have been a traction control thing. Although I was in sport plus mode. Interestingly I did notice traction control occasionally flash even in sport plus. It did feel like some sort of throttle delay. I shifted quickly and there was just a little delay before throttle response. Working on cutting that bit of time and approaching start finish I found it annoying.

Any way to get rid of the delay with quick upshifts?
Traction control can/will still interfere frequently in Sport Plus mode when driving aggressively. If you code in EuroMDM it will be a little less intrusive.

As for the shift delay there is no known solution to that as far as I know. I've read conflicting accounts that say If you're WOT and shift over 5k it shouldn't happen but some people say it still does. I personally think it occurs when you let the clutch out too quickly but I can't prove that, it's just a hunch.

Code in Euro MDM and try to shift closer to redline and see if that helps.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
tjmark
Rep

Quote:
Traction control can/will still interfere frequently in Sport Plus mode when driving aggressively. If you code in EuroMDM it will be a little less intrusive.

As for the shift delay there is no known solution to that as far as I know. I've read conflicting accounts that say If you're WOT and shift over 5k it shouldn't happen but some people say it still does. I personally think it occurs when you let the clutch out too quickly but I can't prove that, it's just a hunch.

Awesome info. Glad to know at least its normal.

I'm not experienced a coding. I do have Bimmercode and have coded a few of their standard codings. Is there a way to do this though bimmercode not in advanced mode?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not experienced a coding. I do have Bimmercode and have coded a few of their standard codings. Is there a way to do this though bimmercode not in advanced mode?
Euro MDM has to be coded in with ESYS. It can't be done in bimmercode (even in expert mode)

If you're unfamiliar with ESYS you can have a coder do it for you for a nominal fee. It makes a huge difference and I think it's a must have for anyone who tracks their M.
      04-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
tjmark
Rep

Quote:
Euro MDM has to be coded in with ESYS. It can't be done in bimmercode (even in expert mode)

If you're unfamiliar with ESYS you can have a coder do it for you for a nominal fee. It makes a huge difference and I think it's a must have for anyone who tracks their M.

Thanks so much.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #10
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Even in Sport Plus, don't you have to hold down the traction control button to fully disable? If this didn't happen, that's likely your culprit.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
tjmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Even in Sport Plus, don't you have to hold down the traction control button to fully disable? If this didn't happen, that's likely your culprit.
I didn't hold down the sport plus button so this is possibly it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 07:26 PM   #12
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't hold down the sport plus button so this is possibly it.
Not the sport plus button - the traction control button. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lots of people don't want traction 100% off because they don't want to risk losing control and crashing, and also the throttle mapping is more aggressive in Sport + than it is with traction completely off:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1385679

This is why I suggested coding in EuroMDM. It will lessen TC interference while still keeping you in Sport+. Best of both worlds.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2018, 03:52 AM   #14
grinch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:

Mine is European versión and I felt often that the OP said. Always in sport + when I go hard on the road
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #15
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Mine does the same thing when I tried to induce a bigger power slide than the traction control permits. It basically ignored my throttle input and did its own thing to get the car going straight. Slightly annoying but sounds like Euro MDM is the proper solution.

Btw, my car has DCT and I kept the car in same gear as I exited a turn. I mention that just to rule out tranny/shifting has anything to do with it.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #16
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Sounds like DSC cutting throttle; if the shift was right under the bridge or a touch after, you likely just shifted weight to front, lightened rear that likely picked up some slip angle and then when you went WOT you had a mild traction loss so DSC cut throttle. It’s so mild and quick that it feels like throttle lag. Because it’s kinda sorta is.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

True story
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910932.50
      04-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #18
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

True story
Is EuroMDM worth it even if you don't track as often?
      05-08-2018, 12:50 AM   #19
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

True story
Is EuroMDM worth it even if you don't track as often?
No. I actually would recommend against it personally. I'm not the type to hoon around but I can definitely tell you I do it less with Euro MDM because it allows for a lot more yaw and a lot more wheel spin before it attempts to reign things in.

On the street, that reduction in additional margin of error for a driver that has lost control, means hitting a median or a curb, or worse.

If you want to Hoon around on the street then the stock MDM will save you in that environment. Or just BE A MAN and go full DSC OFF.

The primary reason that Euro MDM helps for a track driven car is that it allows for the additional G forces and yaw created by R tires and track pads. Before even going on track with R tires one can activate DSC making a turn in the paddock. Seriously. Regular MDM is better but not by much. Imagine E36 M3 DSC..

If one is on track and in a high speed corner, Euro MDM allows the car to slide , and also, if one needs to add power in the case or realizing that one has turned in too early in order to not end up going off track.. adding power is needed instead of lifting off the throttle. With regular MDM, the DSC light will be blinking and you will not be able to add power and the rear brakes will likely be working to keep the car from spinning as it cuts power. It's certainly disconcerting and also frustrating to not be able to add power when you know you have the skill to make an adjustment that will get you through the corner faster as well as help to avoid going off track at the track out.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #20
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Reviving an older thread here...but I had something similar on my car the other day.

Sport plus....full throttle shift from 2nd-3rd....and boom completely killed the power, made me shoot forward in the seat as I was obviously not expecting it.

Let off the gas, then re-applied and it was fine.

No lights on the dash etc.

This is a UK DCT car also.

Any idea what would cause this? It's happened a couple of times now but only ever in sport plus never in sport or comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 06:51 PM   #21
thebiglubinsky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3

Just test drove a used M2 to make sure I really like it before putting deposit down later and on the highway, I think this happened at around 5k rpm twice. The car has 24k miles and crap Advanta all season tires🙃 I don't know if the cars f"""" ed up or if the tires couldn't handle the juice & the car cut power.
Appreciate 0