BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Why I will never buy another BMW... (Am I wrong to feel pissed at BMW ?)

04-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #67
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrunner View Post
This community can be shit sometimes so maybe its not just BMW? "Butthurt" "You need to reset your expectations or be forever disappointed." "Found this in your post history..."... Someone actually went looking for ammo to use against the OP because opinions can't change?

Then outside of this thread you have "Real M" this or that... Civic M2... It would also seem there is a lot of Shiny Object Syndrome going on with BMW owners and possibly a lot of very poor financial decisions if one is going to dump a 1-2 year old car on something new (but hey if you can, more power to you!) Although that is not unique to the BMW world, Porsche is probably worse.

I think it is a fair opinion from the OP. BMW has changed a lot as a car company in the last 5 years (or more), there are very few gems left in their line up (obviously my opinion) and they seem to have to make a model for every type of buyer so it really waters down the line up. The rate of change is also much higher than any other car maker which is good and bad at the same time. Like anything there is a risk of alienating buyers with all business decisions so it's not surprising to me but they will probably win more fans than they lose.

Best course of action is to enjoy the M2 you have, it is a great car after all. Ride out the warranty, then see what is out there. I have similar feelings about buying another BMW (well before they announced this car though...). Just look at it as a stepping stone to the Porsche you really want?
I simply wanted to see how long he was here to see if he was a troll or not. When I read that post I quoted, it proved he already knew and he could have waited so I called him out on that. He still could be waiting. He made his choice was my only point. He cannot blame BMW for that alone. Something better is always on the horizon.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #68
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Biscuits View Post
I had to look up butthurt as I've never heard it and you're definitely right. It's one of the reasons I had to post this was because I felt so annoyed with BMW band I needed to see if I was being "unjustifiably offended" and reading the replies, it's clear that I am.

I find it amazing that everyone is so ok with their items becoming obsolete so quickly, but I guess that's progress.
Your car is not obsolete. That is not the correct term to use.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #69
susko
Rep
Drives: Brz

placeholder so i can bash bmw when the competition squared comes out
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #70
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I don't think you can buy any new car and be safeguarded against it being upgraded over time. Ford just added DI to the 5.0, Magnetorheological Shocks, full LED headlights, LCD instruments, 10 speed automatic, and a host of massive upgrades to the Mustang mid-gen that's going to destroy resale of the 2017's. How would a person that just bought a fully optioned S3 the week before the RS3 was announced feel? If you truly want the best version of any generation the best way to go is to purchase the last year but the problem with that is that the new generation in most cases is much improved and more desirable.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992541.50
      04-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #71
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

I bought mine in December knowing full well the comp model was coming out. I also knew it would cost me an extra £10k plus on what I paid for not much more in my opinion. It's a great car, performance far exceeds my ability but I get to give it some beans still and it makes me smile. Enjoy what you've got fella, chasing the next best thing is a never ending journey....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #72
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

[IMG]https://media2.giphy.com/media/OCVAPfaRmHtxC/giphy.gif[/IMG]
      04-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #73
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

What does the standard M2C have over the regular M2?

M-Mirrors & S55 Engine...and the color you wanted.

In terms of the S55 engine, you can add a simple tune to get the same hp. Mirrors are going to cost a bit to convert, but imo, I don't think it's worth the cost to upgrade.

The biggest thing for you is probably the color.

Keep in mind for the seats and the other new added stuff, I'm sure those options are going to bump up the price significantly...to the point where your original thoughts were to that it would be out of your range.

Maybe the best thing in your case was to wait and see what the Competition price was going to be and then if it was too much, just pick up one of the last LCI models.

But think of it this way, you will have enjoyed your car for quite some time before you would've actually been able to pick up the Competition model with all the dealer lists etc etc.

In short, enjoy the car and don't fret about the M2C
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #74
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Now you put it like that
I think I'm pissed because I felt like I waited all my adult life to have a car like this only for it to be replaced a short time after I got it. But I agree, it could have been much worse. The changes are fairly minor.
This is a hard perspective to live with in today's world. Products change faster than they ever have. This applies to everything from mobile phones to automobiles. Product refresh cycles are accelerated to capture consumer demand for "new".

There is only one way to combat these feelings: remember that the presence of something better cannot diminish the enjoyment of what you have if you do not allow it.

I'm only 41 years old, but I'm old enough to have chased the "bigger, better, faster, more" chain of automobiles for more than a few years. I'll let you in on a dirty little secret. There's always something new/faster/better out there. If you let that be your focus, you'll always be let down.

Your car is a great car, and there are even reasons to prefer it over the new M2. For example, I prefer the noises the N55 makes over the S55. That's something you get to enjoy 100% of the time you're driving the car!

You're really fortunate to have an M2, even if it isn't the latest and greatest.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 2
ando2000.50
      04-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #75
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

To the OP: I feel your pain and understand it, especially after having purchased dozens of cars in my lifetime - many of which were the first iteration of something new and different that were replaced by something newer and differenter the next model year. (S***!) Unfortunately, you can't win this game. The gods of Vehicledom will not allow it.

I purchased my M2 LCI (Leichtbau! ), because for me it was the right car at that moment in my life. (It still is.) I had the opportunity to take the dealer's last 2017 allocation or first 2018 allocation, and I waited because I wanted the new lights, dash and moonroof - but I didn't get the choice of a new color, which I really wanted like you did. So, I ended up with one of the first M2 LCIs in the U.S.

I have the brand loyalty of a three-toed sloth, and I buy what I feel is the best car for me at a specific point in time. Fiat X1/9? I was crazy, and it was a mid-engined sports car for cheap. Miata? Of course! Triumph TR-3? No better car for driving on a crisp, sunny, sub-freezing winter day. Honda Odyssey? There seemed to be a kid actively involved in sports who needed to be hauled all over the U.S. with his buddies. Among those vehicles were a 2002 and an E36 M3 I ordered – ironically, a no-options "lightweight" because I couldn't afford a real Lightweight.

I never stopped to think about what was coming next, because I often turned a car quickly enough to not worry about it. I knew there would always be something better, thanks to the manufacturers that needed to continually upgrade their cars to stay competitive in the marketplace.

If you want to place blame, put it on the Internet, which never stops instantaneously shoveling rumors, facts, rumors, speculation, rumors, spy shots, rumors, press releases, rumors, real facts from Jason, rumors, corrections from Artemis and rumors into your brain. The Internet also makes anything new today old tomorrow. Guys are pulling their 2-year-old deposits on M2 Comps now, because they saw a photo of a camouflaged M2 CS with a lumpy hood that's "almost here."

So, don't beat yourself up and don't hate BMW. 20/20 vision backward is perfect, but everything is out-of-focus forward - plus, the car world in general is absolutely nuts.
Appreciate 4
      04-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #76
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Sorry the way you feel OP. Hopefully it seems that a lot of the comments cheered you up some. The M2 experience has definitely been a unique one for me. My bank account has suffered due to my past decisions concerning this car. I'm glad I finally have it now, and could care less about the M2C, other than enjoying reading about it.

Others have said BMW always does this, and while it doesn't bother me; they haven't done it quite like this IMO. Someone explained it better in another thread, but they basically had to come out with the LCI due to the 2 series changing, which it's based off of.

The M2 comp is partly due to the European emissions thing (forgot what it's called). It was also born out of customer demand, which I don't have a problem with ( I think I got a moon-roof out of demand).

My lesson from all this is, when there is a car you want that's in high demand, get on a lists, call around as soon as you can, and be persistent about it. Patience is key also. You have to play the long game
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #77
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Sorry the way you feel OP. Hopefully it seems that a lot of the comments cheered you up some. The M2 experience has definitely been a unique one for me. My bank account has suffered due to my past decisions concerning this car. I'm glad I finally have it now, and could care less about the M2C, other than enjoying reading about it.

Others have said BMW always does this, and while it doesn't bother me; they haven't done it quite like this IMO. Someone explained it better in another thread, but they basically had to come out with the LCI due to the 2 series changing, which it's based off of.

The M2 comp is partly due to the European emissions thing (forgot what it's called). It was also born out of customer demand, which I don't have a problem with ( I think I got a moon-roof out of demand).

My lesson from all this is, when there is a car you want that's in high demand, get on a lists, call around as soon as you can, and be persistent about it. Patience is key also. You have to play the long game
If the new emission laws were not a problem, BMW was going to continue offering base M2 along with M2 Competition according to Frank van Meel:

"​MR: Would you have kept the base M2 available for sale, if the WLTP would not have played any role in the decision making process?

FvM: Yes, the production of the M2 LCI would not come to an end this summer if the WLTP did not play a role. We would have continued the M2 next to the M2 Competition and both cars would have been built alongside each other at the factory in Leipzig, Germany."
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #78
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

This thread is so long, by the time I got to the end the M2 AWD Convertible V8TT came out. Just bought one.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #79
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Amazing how quickly we can go from, "thrilled to have this car" to, "no longer want to buy a BMW because a new one came out."

The current M2 is an awesome car! New cars don't change that! Just wait a year or so until one hits a lot near you for a test-drive to determine if it's worth the price of admission.
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2430.50
AndrewC198910910.50
      04-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #80
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

For all those telling this guy to get lost, DO consider that BMW pulled a pretty strange move by doing an LCI and then ANOTHER refresh. By all logic, the LCI would have been the mid cycle refresh of the M2 and that would have been that.

But no, they decide to completely overhaul the car without increasing the price much. Now that's what really gets me because essentially I was ripped off. Substantially so.

Now the noise the S55 makes will never make me want for the M2 Comp but damn if I didn't overpay for my LCI M2 by comparison. New front end is hideous btw, not sure what the fanboys are on about.

BMW, I'll accept M mirrors as compensation
      04-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #81
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
For all those telling this guy to get lost, DO consider that BMW pulled a pretty strange move by doing an LCI and then ANOTHER refresh. By all logic, the LCI would have been the mid cycle refresh of the M2 and that would have been that.

But no, they decide to completely overhaul the car without increasing the price much. Now that's what really gets me because essentially I was ripped off. Substantially so.

Now the noise the S55 makes will never make me want for the M2 Comp but damn if I didn't overpay for my LCI M2 by comparison. New front end is hideous btw, not sure what the fanboys are on about.

BMW, I'll accept M mirrors as compensation
WLTP goes into affect Sept 2018.

This helps - answer why the cycle has been so erratic. I think this is also the reason the F80 is not running the full cycle.

Frank Van Meel said this is why no base M2.

FvM: Yes, the production of the M2 LCI would not come to an end this summer if the WLTP did not play a role. We would have continued the M2 next to the M2 Competition and both cars would have been built alongside each other at the factory in Leipzig, Germany.

Last edited by seis-speed; 04-19-2018 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #82
bm4w
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:
TLDR; BMW M2. Released May 2016, updated July 2017, replaced May 2018. I will never buy another BMW.

I posted this on an UK M2 facebook group but seeing as this is where BMW's marketing team like to spend some of their time...

I've been a BMW fan since I was a kid. I wanted an E30 M3 since they came out. I knew one day I would buy an M car but life and family got in the way. Then when the 1M came out I was in love but wasn't in a position to get one, having a small family and living in central London. So I waited. Then at the end of 2015 I saw some photos of M2 and I knew I would do what I could to one. I waited from 2016 to Feb 2017 as the waiting list was long and then in Feb/Mar 2017 to put down a deposit. By then I knew that the 2 series was getting a mid-lifecycle refresh, so I decided to wait until the LCI came out as it didn't make sense to buy a car before a refresh. Also, after speaking to BMW Genius, I was told it would be available in the Sunset Orange, which is the colour I wanted.

I picked it up mid September 2017 and honestly, it was a dream come true. Not only was I buying my first new car, it was also the car I had wanted since I was a kid. A small, angry looking 2 door M BMW. I loved it and I still do.

Now, at this point I realise I might have taken what BMW have done more personally than most and a lot of people will say "just enjoy the car and get on with your life" but I feel compelled to write this. I can't help feel BMW and their shitty marketing dept did little to dispel the incorrect information going around on forums or in the car news. I can understand why they do it. Why would they tell me, when I'm about to buy one of their cars, that they will be replacing it in nine months with a much better version for similar money. It's in their interest to help spread the marketing line that will make them the most money. F**k what customers think. It's all about the money. I mean, it came out April 2016, had a life-cycle refresh in July 2017 and is now being replaced. Even by BMW standards, that's really bad.

I was as aware as everyone else that a new M2 was on the books but what BMW seems to have done is actively encourage the rumours that the new M2 was going to to be the CS and would be somewhere in the region of £60-70K+. That way potential buyers like myself, who are not in the market to spend that kind of money would go and purchase the current model. Normally when a car comes to the end of it’s lifecycle, manufacturers load it with extras to get rid of stock but they buyers would also be aware of a new replacement model coming out. As a buyer you can then make an educated decision to buy the older model with all the bits or wait until the new one comes out. I mean, I feel the people who bought that Black Shadow model. Showcase it at Geneva, replace it at Beijing.

So by now you can tell I am pretty f***ed off that nine months after I got my new M2 LCI, BMW replace it with a new, better M2 that comes a great options list, better engine and face-lifted front. And in the colour I would have preferred. I intentionally waited until the LCI came out, thinking I would get what I thought would be the last version before the 2nd generation. I’m sure to make me and other owners feel better, their marketing department is trying to pass it off as a special edition call the "Competition”, when really it's just BMW replacing the M2 with a better version for similar money.

I knew the car would devalue. Possibly not quite as much as it has but that's not an issue. This new M2 will certainly help drive current prices off a cliff but that doesn't bother me either. What bothers me is that I wanted the M2 they are bringing out now and if BMW were honest and upfront when I was buying mine, I would have waited another nine months and bought the latest model...in Sunset Orange. Now I’m 99% sure I will never buy another BMW.

Anyway, that's it. I still love my car. I still feel lucky to own it. I’ve just had it with BMW.
You just described the feeling of the majority of M2 owners in the M2 competition thread. I know this type of thing sucks when it happens man but there's not much you can do unless you want to take the loss now and get the M2 comp later.

You still have a nice drivers car but by guessing off your reaction, you would probably feel slightly upset seeing an M2 comp on the road thinking that you could've had one yourself. So IMO it would be wise to sell it before the resale value nosedives when the new one releases.

I think BMW was able to get away with this with the M2 because it has no legacy or history at the moment, it's just a cheaper and more compact M4 in it's current state and that may be how the upper execs see it.

If this happened with the M3, then I'm sure all hell would've let loose.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #83
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Problems I have with cars and why I've accepted it's a losing battle:

Won't buy a first year year.

Typically won't buy a second year car because an LCI is likely soon.

Won't buy an LCI because it's the last year model that becomes the most valuable.

Won't buy a last year model because a newer (better) version is coming out.

Then repeat indefinitely.
Appreciate 5
      04-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #84
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Don’t you think you’re jumping the gun a little? Production hasn’t even started yet with deliveries to the first customers (who are more than likely going to be paying over Msrp) coming mid to late summer. You’re sour about a car nobody’s even driven yet. Anyone looking for a comp M2 for Msrp isn’t getting one until mid 2019.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #85
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
Don’t you think you’re jumping the gun a little? Production hasn’t even started yet with deliveries to the first customers (who are more than likely going to be paying over Msrp) coming mid to late summer. You’re sour about a car nobody’s even driven yet. Anyone looking for a comp M2 for Msrp isn’t getting one until mid 2019.
Not true at all! People said the same thing when the base M2 came out in 2016. Most people got their cars at MSRP and the hype for the M2 back then was crazier than the hype for M2C. There are so many dealers that do not sell over MSRP per their policy. In fact, I already signed my purchase agreement (official dealer document with terms and conditions, signed by both parties) that explicitly states the car will be sold at MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #86
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Honestly. Do we actually know what the base model will have. Is it a couple of $k more for a base model with a fancy grill and the S55 engine. Seems fine to me. I bet the that most things on the car will be extras.
Has anyone with a deposit been asked what options they want? What does the base get you.
Yes sure I would have liked a S55 engine. That is the only thing though.
My car is a comfortable DD compared to my JCW. So yes the S55 would be nice but putting the power down will be almost impossible. IMHO if the M2 comp was AWD I would be pissed. Now though my opinion is like most. Enjoy the car - the present configuration is really great. I would say take the money you saved and take a driver course then you won't need the extra power to blow off the M2 comp!

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #87
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Honestly. Do we actually know what the base model will have. Is it a couple of $k more for a base model with a fancy grill and the S55 engine. Seems fine to me. I bet the that most things on the car will be extras.
Has anyone with a deposit been asked what options they want? What does the base get you.
Yes sure I would have liked a S55 engine. That is the only thing though.
My car is a comfortable DD compared to my JCW. So yes the S55 would be nice but putting the power down will be almost impossible. IMHO if the M2 comp was AWD I would be pissed. Now though my opinion is like most. Enjoy the car - the present configuration is really great. I would say take the money you saved and take a driver course then you won't need the extra power to blow off the M2 comp!
I don't even think the grill is fancy. Current M2's grill looks better IMO. In terms of options, nobody knows until BMW NA releases pricing probably next month. People who put deposit down are just basically agreeing to pay MSRP with or without options.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #88
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
I had to look up butthurt as I've never heard it and you're definitely right. It's one of the reasons I had to post this was because I felt so annoyed with BMW band I needed to see if I was being "unjustifiably offended" and reading the replies, it's clear that I am.

I find it amazing that everyone is so ok with their items becoming obsolete so quickly, but I guess that's progress.
Lmao.. it's great to learn something new every day, isn't it?

Just harassing and give you a hard time for fun. I think you are probably starting to see that it's not really a big deal and you will live through it.

Also, it should be said that most of us giving you a hard time have probably gone through some form of buyer's remorse on a similar level, and in the end, we all learn from these types of life experiences. I bet next time around, you will be much more keen on what you are actually getting yourself into when buying a car like this.

Your car rocks. Enjoy it. Bask in the N55's beautiful sound and be happy your car doesn't come equipped with the extra 150lbs farting man!