BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Frank van Meel, the BMW M Division boss who gives us more…

04-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #45
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
CF Roof, Aluminum hood and front panels would probably drop it a little over 100lbs. Remove the back seat and no power front seats and you might get close to shedding 200.
CF Roof wasn't done on the M2 COMP to " differentiate to M4" per Van Meel.. ... so.. cannot see why they would then install it on an M2 but hey...

removing 100 lbs doesn't even get back to M2 base.. Which basically means.. forget about calling it a " proper" CSL.

I guess they could dredge up the " Lightweight " (LTW) moniker that they used for the US E36 M3...

I can hear it now.. " it's the first ever... M2 LIGHTWEIGHT.. "

Let's see how BMW did save weight on the M4 GTS...

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/15-w...-weight-m4-gts

How did BMW M reduce weight in the M4 GTS? Outside, the high-performance coupe gets a newly designed hood, roof, adjustable front splitter and adjustable rear wing which are all made from carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP). It sits on CNC-machined aluminum mounts fixed to the CFRP boot lid to also minimize weight. The rear diffuser, made from carbon fiber along with the rear wing, optimizes the flow of air and reducing lift at the rear axle. M4 GTS also is fitted with a titanium muffler, which allows a weight saving of 20 percent according to BMW M.

Cabin weight-saving optimization

BMW M’s rigorous weight-saving measures continue through the interior of the car. Inside, M4 GTS gets carbon-fiber bucket seats, a lightweight center console, lightweight rear seat panelling and boot area partition, and special lightweight door and side panel trim. The sports car even comes with door pull loops in place of solid door handles to save additional weight. Underneath the dash, the instrument panel bracing tube is made from lightweight carbon fiber.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-17-2018 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #46
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
Nice article.
Why the undisclosed location near Munich? Was it somewhere compromising to report?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I would bet $$$ that the " undisclosed location" near Munich was the M Studio..
The SATNAV picture posted by forum fellow MR. discloses more than just a German radio channel.

Name:  M2_Competition_SATNAV.JPG
Views: 945
Size:  71.4 KB
Gatte1193.00
Spa2k1194.00
Tag18135.50
      04-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #47
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
  • stock wheels:
    • 437M 19" double-spoke bi-color wheels (base M2) (code 2VZ)
  • optional wheels:
    • 788M 19" Y-spoke forged lightweight wheels:
      • bi-color (option code 2QT)
      • black (option code 29U)
So is this meant to imply that the stock 19" are not forged?

I've yet to find anything definitive that says one way or the other if they are actually die-forged wheels. some materials have said they are forged, and other materials completely omit that phrase (without actually saying cast explicitly).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #48
corcovado
Rep
Drives: E38 750iL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
So is this meant to imply that the stock 19" are not forged?

I've yet to find anything definitive that says one way or the other if they are actually die-forged wheels. some materials have said they are forged, and other materials completely omit that phrase (without actually saying cast explicitly).
Usually I would go for the forged.. however in this case I'd rather option the car with 16" steelies than use those wheels :

I'm assuming there should be no problem ordering a set of 763 Ms from the dealer, even if you don't own an M3 CS, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #49
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

@MR,

Can you turn off MT rev matching (throttle blip) without having to disable all the nannies; if so can it be preprogramed via M button?
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      04-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #50
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
@MR,
Can you turn off MT rev matching (throttle blip) without having to disable all the nannies; if so can it be preprogramed via M button?
From what I read, on the M2 Competition rev-match operates the same way as with the current M2: always active, except for DSC OFF mode (all nannies disabled).

Hm, BMW could have used that blank button on the center console to toggle rev-match on/off for the 6MT. Like the "SPORT" button in the Cayman GT4.

04-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #51
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
From what I read, on the M2 Competition rev-match operates the same way as with the current M2: always active, except for DSC OFF mode (all nannies disabled).

Hm, BMW could have used that blank button on the center console to toggle rev-match on/off for the 6MT. Like the "SPORT" button in the Cayman GT4.

And still wonder to this day why they can't make something as simple as that to disable auto rev match. Even Nissan 370's have a simple button to turn it on or off.
      04-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #52
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:

Yes, it's rather disappointing being that so many complained about this.

I found more info on this in the document 20180413_The_new_BMW_M2_Competition_Longversion.pd f

The new BMW M2 Competition comes as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which stands out with its compact design and low weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fibre friction lining enhances shift comfort. An engagement speed control function, which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, makes gear changes even smoother. This also lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track. Switching off the DSC deactivates the engagement speed control function. Wet-sump lubrication prevents any sloshing of the transmission oil and ensures all components benefit from an efficient supply of oil.
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #53
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:

This just blows my mind. Give me control over Rev-match and ASD via a button or idrive. The simple fact I cant turn off Rev-match will push me into another DCT.

Last edited by ChrisK; 04-18-2018 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #54
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
This just blows my mind. Give me control over Rev-match and ASD via a button or idrive. The simple fact I cant turn off Rev-match will push into another DCT.
The fact that you have to turn the DSC off in order to disable rev-match in M2 is just crazy. I just learned about this. In M3/M4, Sport+ will do it without forcing you to turn off DSC. I always drive in Sport+ with DSC off so not a big deal for me but I don' think this is a clever solution to disabling rev-match for people who don't feel comfortable turning the traction control off.
Appreciate 2
ChrisK4449.00
      04-18-2018, 01:08 PM   #55
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Frank van Meel, the BMW M Division boss who gives us more…
Thanks for your efforts, MR.

Though beware of that title when tackling the topic of weight and 'body mass index'.

And about your video: nicely done (there are only a few minor inaccuracies).
      04-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #56
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
The fact that you have to turn the DSC off in order to disable rev-match in M2 is just crazy. I just learned about this. In M3/M4, Sport+ will do it without forcing you to turn off DSC. I always drive in Sport+ with DSC off so not a big deal for me but I don' think this is a clever solution to disabling rev-match for people who don't feel comfortable turning the traction control off.
At a minimum they should have let you prereprogram it via the M button. Maybe it can be coded? This is really stupid.
Appreciate 3
M-Pilot4859.00
      04-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #57
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Great info!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #58
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
And about your video: nicely done (there are only a few minor inaccuracies).
Only noticeable for us fans here and even then they are fine to mention like this

MR
Appreciate 1
Artemis29331.00
      04-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #59
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
This just blows my mind. Give me control over Rev-match and ASD via a button or idrive. The simple fact I cant turn off Rev-match will push me into another DCT.
that's devil talk man.. snap out if it.. ! 6MT and JUST DSC OFF (Just do it!)
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #60
N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

MR

Can you confirm if the colour coded perforated leather is an option?

Think it would look much better not colour coded

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #61
Danne_485
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2015 AY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
@MR. the interview with the "Frank" person was very useful.

He also still insisted that the BMW M lineup will be split across base, Competition, CS and CSL (Not GTS). I find this very encouraging.

I was hoping you would ask him if the CS was then called competition or if there were 2 different models from the beginning. He might've probably not answered but thought it would be worth a shot.

Let's hope what is stopped starts moving again.... quickly.
My 2 cents is that they were in making of the CS and then the new emission rules came about and they had to drop this plan and make the competition instead as the base model. I also think the CS will come as the final version of this M2 run.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #62
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
Here's a hint, it should not have a manual transmission.
That should simplify your decision and bring down some of that hate.
BMW M CEO Frank van Meel commented in the M2 Competition interview:
"MR: If you would spec a M2 Competition what would you include in the specification? Which color would you go for? DCT vs manual?
FvM: As a Dutchman, I would opt for Sunset Orange as the exterior color. I would opt for the optional M wheels, take the manual gearbox and the M Sports brake kit, simply because the grey calipers look a lot better with the Orange body color. On the inside, I would go for the M Sports seats with matching orange stitching. To finish off the specification, I would add M Performance parts, like the carbon fiber mirror caps, carbon fiber diffuser and carbon fiber rear spoiler. The Alcantara M Performance steering wheel is something that belongs to the CS and CSL line up, and is not something I would personally opt for."

(source: here)
And back in 2015 he singled out the manual only BMW 1M as his "favorite M car from the past" (see here).
      04-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #63
blackforest
Germany
Rep
Drives: M2

Artemis, MR. or someone who knows: Will the Cmp. mirrors be "retrofitable" at the M2 F87 without any bigger problem? Do they fit?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #64
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackforest View Post
Artemis, MR. or someone who knows: Will the Cmp. mirrors be "retrofitable" at the M2 F87 without any bigger problem? Do they fit?
They will fit, but changing them will be a horrendous price tag. I could easily see this costing more than 3K EUR to get them fitted. Maybe if you find mirrors of a crash M3 or M4 it would be a cheap upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 View Post
MR

Can you confirm if the colour coded perforated leather is an option?

Think it would look much better not colour coded

Thanks
The M-Sport seats with orange or blue stitching is an option in Europe. I am not aware what happens in other markets. Markets can determine their own standard specs.

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #65
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Your thinking is not completely correct. No more new models for current M3 and M4.

First release of CSL is M4 or M5. Only one more model for M2 and then it is done.

Focus on the G-series when it comes to the full line up for four models. Don't look at current models in the F-series.

MR
MR: Is the one more model for the M2 the M2 CS? And is it coming in 2019?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 03:07 AM   #66
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
MR: Is the one more model for the M2 the M2 CS? And is it coming in 2019?
Yes, there is one more model coming, but it is unknown what they will do... I think they will call it CS.

MR
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00