BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition Reveal (Beijing Motor Show - April 25)

04-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #177
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

would be awesome for someone to open one up, really curious whats inside
      04-25-2018, 11:20 PM   #178
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by babym2 View Post
oh wow now I see what everyone keeps saying about the muffler, doesnt look right at all

This muffler is not only low but it's too wide and the shape is horrible! Is it possible that they had to make it this shape to try and deepen the exhaust tone?
It wouldn't be so bad if it had some design to it, ie the M logo.
      04-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #179
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelGriffith View Post
Not necessarily a deal breaker...
But DISAPPOINTING.

How did they think this was ok?
Totally agree, hoping the MPE will fix that. BMW has to be aware of how hideous that thing looks.
My MPE on my LCI is approx the same size
      04-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #180
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Low loads and a farting noise= the all new M2C lol
Attached Images

ried791.50
      04-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #181
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Sooooo glad that so many people have decided to pass on the Competition and not buy one because they hate the muffler. That means I'll probably move up on the list and get mine sooner! Thanks all you muffler hating people!
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
norMcal284.50
ChrisK4449.00
      04-25-2018, 11:40 PM   #182
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
Sooooo glad that so many people have decided to pass on the Competition and not buy one because they hate the muffler. That means I'll probably move up on the list and get mine sooner! Thanks all you muffler hating people!
If only that was true.
Appreciate 2
Wilsm2187.50
M2PDX2938.50
      04-25-2018, 11:57 PM   #183
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
You'd think so from all the bitchin' and whinin' in this thread!
Appreciate 1
M2PDX2938.50
      04-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #184
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
These 788M wheels are the ones with a two tone finish, machined face with black windows. Just like the 437M wheels. 788M wheels are also available in all gray.

Here's a pic of the same 788M wheel you referenced, but at a different angle with better lighting.

Tag Thanks, that's what I thought. Too early to see the black wheels. The reveal post said they'll come in either "light high-sheen (bi-color), or with a black front surface".

Wonder which will look best on HS? Because it's such a light colour, leaning towards black, but I wonder if black wheels are past their time...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:14 AM   #185
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
M2:

M2 Competition:
Interesting that the cad drawings have the wheels they used in testing I.e. The original has the wheels we saw on pre-series cars and the comp has current M2 wheels. They obviously hadn't made their mind up on these at the time.

I hadn't even spotted the big exhaust silencer (muffler) that you eagle eyed lot are harping on about!!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:58 AM   #186
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by babym2 View Post
oh wow now I see what everyone keeps saying about the muffler, doesnt look right at all

Looking like old man balls, hanging loooow. How embarrassing!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 02:08 AM   #187
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
Low loads and a farting noise= the all new M2C lol
Get real. You just jealous of its big balls, big heart and the more masculine look
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ried791.50
Nkc1600.50
      04-26-2018, 02:11 AM   #188
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Get real. You just jealous of its big balls
True. I’ma see if I can retrofit that hot new muffler onto my ‘17 M2.

The M2C basically comes with a set of Truck Nutz built in! Sweet!

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2018, 02:31 AM   #189
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
More pics from Beijing... (see first set here)

Looking good. I like the wheels actually.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 04:32 AM   #190
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelGriffith View Post
Not necessarily a deal breaker...
But DISAPPOINTING.
How did they think this was ok?
The earlier one versus the later one - 1.0 small or 2.0 fat: both vintage Elvis.

From N55 to S55: "We're caught in a trap..."

04-26-2018, 04:51 AM   #191
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The earlier one versus the later one - 1.0 small or 2.0 fat: both vintage Elvis.

From N55 to S55: "We're caught in a trap..."

Hahahahaha spot on!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #192
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
It's BMWs best kept secret. Euro Delivery.

You get your car for 5 percent less and it's available for you while you vacation in Europe for two weeks to a month.

You may have to search for a dealer and sales personnel that will allow you to do this but it's hella worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
Do it for the experience which is well worth it but not for the savings. ED automatically disqualifies you from any BMW NA rebates and special sales programs so in the end you pay the same or a bit more.
I grew up in Switzerland and used to go over there every couple of years to visit friends and family, but it's been 4 years now and I am kind of due for a visit. An Euro Delivery has always been on my bucket list. The savings are a bonus, but it mostly appeals for the experience. However, I'm torn, because there are drawbacks as well, especially when buying a car like this, that would be my "baby". The thought of the kids climbing in and out of the back for a couple of weeks and probably scratching the door sills and spilling snacks and drinks all over the car would be a buzz kill. Also, a friend of mine made a good point, and made me aware that during the shipping across the Atlantic, the car now lacks all the protective films and is a bit more prone to the elements. Granted, those might be some OCD worries, but it just doesn't appeal to me on a car that won't be a DD. I feel the experience would be more enjoyable with a car that I buy for the family, as they tend to trash it over the years anyway. It would probably ruin my vacation watching them do it to my new M2C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
It looks like silver mixed with milk.

Would people be up in arms if it was offered in the following?

Imola Red

LeMans Blue

Jerez Black

Alpine White

Silverstone II
Man if only! The only drawback would be that I would not know which one to get. At least with the current selection it is easy. All of them suck, so it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
It wouldn't be so bad if it had some design to it, ie the M logo.
That muffler does hang a bit low. From personal experience on my e46 M3, I have to admit, that it does look bad when a muffler protrudes below the rear fascia. I briefly installed a SCZA Muffler on the e46 M3, but hated the look of it. Painting it in black would make it less obvious visually, but I am also wondering what it does to the aero? I mean it will do pretty much the opposite of what you want the air to do. Instead of allowing the air to gradually travel up the rear, and up the diffuser, it is forced down right before it exits the rear. I would imagine it creates extra lift/drag. Not something you would think they'd do on a car with the Competition logo on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Tag Thanks, that's what I thought. Too early to see the black wheels. The reveal post said they'll come in either "light high-sheen (bi-color), or with a black front surface".

Wonder which will look best on HS? Because it's such a light colour, leaning towards black, but I wonder if black wheels are past their time...
I've come to the conclusion that these wheels are fugly. They are too flat. the color won't matter. I would like a wheel that is dished more. Also there are too many spokes. I can't believe someone signed this off as the wheel to go with. Sorry! Biggest fail on this car!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #193
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

OMG I love this car but that conspicuous stock exhaust is so freaking hideous! When I saw the leak photos a few weeks ago, I was hoping they would fix it in post-production but I guess I was wrong.

Any non-car people who sees it is guarantee to make some snarky comment.. #WhatAreThose
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #194
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristianS View Post
Interesting that the cad drawings have the wheels they used in testing I.e. The original has the wheels we saw on pre-series cars and the comp has current M2 wheels. They obviously hadn't made their mind up on these at the time.

I hadn't even spotted the big exhaust silencer (muffler) that you eagle eyed lot are harping on about!!
The M2C looks shorter (top of roof to ground) is there a diagram with vertical measurements of the two cars?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #195
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
The M2C looks shorter (top of roof to ground) is there a diagram with vertical measurements of the two cars?
If you look at the technical data for the M2 and M2c there is no change in height, they are both 1410mm. The M2c is 7mm shorter due to the front bumper. Ground clearance for the M2c is now 118mm vs the M2 which is 123mm. Unclear if that is due to the new front bumper or its ///Muffler ball sack.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #196
mike in o.c.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M / 2018 X3 M40i

I don’t like the looks of the comp except in one area: the engine bay looks very cool with that cf strut brace and the cooler on top of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #197
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
A can of Rustoleum high temp black paint will fix the low hanging udders. Worked magic on my e92 MPE's. I know some guys like that well endowed look though.

Won't the exhaust heat eventually melt or deform the black camouflage paint? I mean, I am now hearing the signature blue M brake caliper's color is fading after heat build up on the track.. I am sure they used high-temp paint on the calipers also..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #198
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Won't the exhaust heat eventually melt or deform the black camouflage paint? I mean, I am now hearing the signature blue M brake caliper's color is fading after heat build up on the track.. I am sure they used high-temp paint on the calipers also..
High heat paint is meant to withstand much higher temps than what the muffler ever reaches. The calipers are likely powder coated, not sure if they used a high heat powder coat. Don't need to worry about color fading etc. on the muffler if you paint it black. High heat paint doesn't burn easily, but even if it did it would stay black due to carbon.

The most important thing IMO would be to clean the surface of contaminants and probably a good idea to use a high heat etching primer as a base for proper adhesion.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50