BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Missing my M2 sounds

04-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #23
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Why would they do this?? Sell more M performance exhausts I guess...?
I could understand if the car arrived that way but to have the car 'performing'
a certain way and then to have it taken away is BS!!
Exactly

Is there any way we can have a massive complaint letter and make them fix this ?

Who's good a letters and have a good Bmw contact? Anyone
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #24
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
Quote:
Why would they do this?? Sell more M performance exhausts I guess...?
I could understand if the car arrived that way but to have the car 'performing'
a certain way and then to have it taken away is BS!!
Exactly

Is there any way we can have a massive complaint letter and make them fix this ?

Who's good a letters and have a good Bmw contact? Anyone
Don't think there are enough of us to matter. Unless some mandatory istep update comes along and gets force-fed to everyone.....But how often does that happen?
Btw, I didn't think to try the hidden exhaust mode... is that gone too?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #25
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Is this something they just do when you go in for scheduled service?Is it something you have to request them to do or can they just do it without telling you?I definitely don’t want to mess up the wonderful sound of my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:11 PM   #26
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Just had my 18 M2 software update done at the dealer, and do not notice any difference in sound.
Does yours have MPE?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:23 PM   #27
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Are these crackles and whatnot purely ASD being pumped into the cabin then? Does the M2 not make these noises for people outside the car as well? I thought it did...

FWIW, 2018 m240i owner here (January delivery), and I swear my car does NOT have ASD functioning either. Several other reports in the F22 forum of people claiming the same, with one being certain that it stopped functioning immediately after this software update.
      04-23-2018, 11:37 PM   #28
Dabozo
Major
Rep

I had coded asd off...had plenty of pops and crackles. They were real.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:44 PM   #29
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Is this something they just do when you go in for scheduled service?Is it something you have to request them to do or can they just do it without telling you?I definitely don't want to mess up the wonderful sound of my car.
Long story short...I asked for it to remedy car play and connectivity issues.
Not mandatory.
But I would imagine if anyone had any sort of complaint that could be software related, the probable course of action would be checking for and installing latest istep.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 04:58 PM   #30
Dabozo
Major
Rep

I tried out the hidden exhaust mode and it too was a casualty of this update . Definitely toned down...not really a surprise though.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #31
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
I tried out the hidden exhaust mode and it too was a casualty of this update . Definitely toned down...not really a surprise though.
Explain the hidden mode
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #32
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

IF this is true, it really sucks.. This is very typical of BMW.. I had an '11 135i prior to my M2.. One of the 'mandatory' software updates caused significant loss of throttle response and was well known throughout the community... I tried to opt out, but SA said I didnt have a choice; ie, that while I was under warranty and receiving 'free' maintenance, I had to accept the latest software updates issued by BMW. I bitched and moaned, and ultimately, a year later, caught the ear of my dealership manager. I had learned on line that the BMW installed Performance Power Kit (PPK) fixed this problem while delivering more power.. So I told them I would accept help with this upgrade as a solution to the throttle lag instituted with their mandatory sw upgrade. They came back to me with a very good price and fair offer on the upgrade which I gladly accepted.. As a result, I was able to delay the purchase of my M2 until the LCI model was released.

But in general, BMW sucks with these software detunes that they continue to throw at us, rendering the vehicle something less than what we bought.. It shouldnt be legal when they change the character of the vehicle we purchased.
      04-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #33
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
Quote:
Explain the hidden mode
Hidden exhaust mode in M2 (Traction Mode)

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1277527
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #34
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is this something they just do when you go in for scheduled service?Is it something you have to request them to do or can they just do it without telling you?I definitely don’t want to mess up the wonderful sound of my car.
Its linked to your Keyfob.. Whenever youre in for service, Theyll scan it and any recalls and associated updates either needed or performed will pop up.
      04-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #35
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
IF this is true, it really sucks.. This is very typical of BMW.. I had an '11 135i prior to my M2.. One of the 'mandatory' software updates caused significant loss of throttle response and was well known throughout the community... I tried to opt out, but SA said I didnt have a choice; ie, that while I was under warranty and receiving 'free' maintenance, I had to accept the latest software updates issued by BMW. I bitched and moaned, and ultimately, a year later, caught the ear of my dealership manager. I had learned on line that the BMW installed Performance Power Kit (PPK) fixed this problem while delivering more power.. So I told them I would accept help with this upgrade as a solution to the throttle lag instituted with their mandatory sw upgrade. They came back to me with a very good price and fair offer on the upgrade which I gladly accepted.. As a result, I was able to delay the purchase of my M2 until the LCI model was released.

But in general, BMW sucks with these software detunes that they continue to throw at us, rendering the vehicle something less than what we bought.. It shouldnt be legal when they change the character of the vehicle we purchased.
Wow..not what I wanted to hear.
But I question the legality of such a move...they basically altered a product that no longer belongs to them....without the owner's consent or knowledge, that affects the character and/or performance of the car.
I'm obviously no lawyer but am I wrong here? Just doesn't sit right with me.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #36
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Wow..not what I wanted to hear.
But I question the legality of such a move...they basically altered a product that no longer belongs to them....without the owner's consent or knowledge, that affects the character and/or performance of the car.
I'm obviously no lawyer but am I wrong here? Just doesn't sit right with me.
I dont think you' re wrong, but I dont know what the law says on this.. If I were you Id start writing email to the service manager with cc to the dealership manager of all your correspondence.. Document exactly what happened, and if they want to ever consider you a repeat customer theyve got to help you with this.. At least in my case, i had an alternative which I was willing to live with which helped me get satisfaction.. the PPK kit. I originally asked them to back out the software update which they said BMW wouldnt let them do.. So in the case of our M2s, I think redress will have to take a different form, although I dont know what that would be. Maybe get them to help you out with an MPE if that will bring back some of the pops and crackles, although I fear only a software update will do it.. Let us know what happens.
      04-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #37
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I dont think you' re wrong, but I dont know what the law says on this.. If I were you Id start writing email to the service manager with cc to the dealership manager of all your correspondence.. Document exactly what happened, and if they want to ever consider you a repeat customer theyve got to help you with this.. At least in my case, i had an alternative which I was willing to live with which helped me get satisfaction.. the PPK kit. I originally asked them to back out the software update which they said BMW wouldnt let them do.. So in the case of our M2s, I think redress will have to take a different form, although I dont know what that would be. Maybe get them to help you out with an MPE if that will bring back some of the pops and crackles, although I fear only a software update will do it.. Let us know what happens.
Why would BMW want to change the exhaust sound with a software update?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #38
RussM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BmwM3 M2, F80 , E46, 335,G82m4

i just went to test drive a m2 with MPE today and the car had no burbles and crackles, the sales manager is looking into it for me. i told him it will be a deal breaker without burbles and crackles, i won't buy the car with the MPE that has no burbles and crackles.....

Last edited by RussM4; 04-24-2018 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #39
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Why would BMW want to change the exhaust sound with a software update?
Why would they want to detune the throttle response?!.. I have no idea.. Some theorized it was to ease pressure on the HPFP which was a known fail point on the N54s and some early N55s. Who knows.. but thats what happened with the N55 135i.. So far, with the M2, this is the first Ive heard about it, and in this thread, we have a couple of reports of decreased sounds, and one report of no change whatsoever.. Have to see what develops as more people get the recall service.

Last edited by boostm3; 04-24-2018 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #40
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Why would they want to detune the throttle response?!.. I have no idea.. Some theorized it was to ease pressure on the HPFP which was a fail point on the N54s and some early N55s. Who knows.. but thats what happened with the N55 135i.. So far, with the M2, this is the first Ive heard about it, and in this thread, we have a couple of reports of decreased sounds, and one report of no change whatsoever.. Have to see what develops as more people get the recall service.
At least my car doesn’t have any recalls,so hopefully I won’t have to deal with this issue.I do need an oil change,so when i go to the dealer i will definitely tell them to not do a software update.Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #41
pissclams
bad ***** poster _
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3, 2018 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM2 View Post
i just went to test drive a m2 with MPE today and the car had no burbles and crackles, the sales manager is looking into it for me. i told him it will be a deal breaker without burbles and crackles, i won't buy the car with the MPE that has no burbles and crackles.....
Take it out of Comfort Mode. If it still sounds like an Accord, something is wrong. My MPE has too much to say sometimes when in Sport Mode.
Appreciate 1
RussM4263.50
      04-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #42
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Wonder if anyone has a before and after video/recording of the sounds?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #43
RussM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BmwM3 M2, F80 , E46, 335,G82m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissclams View Post
Take it out of Comfort Mode. If it still sounds like an Accord, something is wrong. My MPE has too much to say sometimes when in Sport Mode.
Something is wrong with that MPE! Waiting to hear back tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #44
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Wonder if anyone has a before and after video/recording of the sounds?
In hindsight it would have been great to have but who knew!
Instead it will be us against bmw...with them saying, 'sir...it's all in your head'. Or like has been said...the number of affected cars increases significantly.
I also lost the ability to scroll around the map using the touch pad. Anyone else with the update have same issue?
Appreciate 0