BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Ordering the LAST OF THE N55s!

02-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #23
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

I know this is a slightly one sided group but what you are collectively saying is that the N55 engine M2 will quickly become a bit of a collectors item.
I feel like if it were all about straight line performance you should just buy and electric car. Have you guys driven one? So much torque it is silly. We are talking antiqued technology here. The 4 cycle engine is going to be done soon. Any updated version of this ridiculously stupid design is really diminishing returns.
I used to race Japanese bikes. They were fast scary and dangerous 2 stroke things. Fun when you are young. The speed was what it was all about but the frames were crap. What I remember from that time were the classic bikes. The Manx Norton (500 cc single) - the sound and handling of that bike was something that still makes my knees tremble.
What I am trying to say is that the sound, handling and connection to a mode of travel makes it special. The gas burning engine (despite President Trumps efforts) will be finished soon. I would say that a manual transmission, decent handling. descent sounding gas guzzler will be (or almost is) a thing of the past.
Anything less than a complete ground up reinvention of the gas engine is a waste of time and this will never happen. So S55 engine......I think you get my point.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 2
kfscoll208.50
HODLM363.50
      02-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #24
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

N55 such a classic engine!
      02-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #25
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
He S55 sure does not sound as good as the N55 but there are other things it does better than the N55.

The N55 equipped M2 is a great car but I am sure there will be people who would appreciate some of the other things that the S55 brings to the table which the N55 simply cannot, even at the expense of some aural pleasure. Factoring in the additional interior choices, brakes, wheels etc., the M2 competition might be a very good car and maybe even an improvement on the current M2 overall.

Even the exhaust might be improved in the Competition. We won’t know till we actually hear it.
Don’t count on the guys at BMW M fixing the exhaust sound of the S55 in the M2 Competition.According to M-Powwer on 2ertalk.de they have already tried 5 times to fix the sound and couldn’t do it.

This is what he originally posted about the exhaust sound of the S55.BTW he is the guy who first confirmed that the M2 Competition was coming with the S55 engine.

The M2 has three major advantages to the M4
1. feeling
The M2 is an honest car ... so to speak "back to the roots".
No big electronics skirmishes and thousands of settings from "racetrack" to "grandma goes shopping"!
He embodies what made BMW M big and obese!
2nd prize
There is hardly a M3 / M4, which does not scratch the € 100,000 mark .... as a reminder for the old bags below us: That was once 200,000 DM !!!!! For a BMW 3 Series !!!!
Even die-hard and hard-boiled M-fans shock this sum and you have to be honest: The real income has not grown as much as the car prices have done!
Therefore, the M2 was a logical move to keep customers on the one hand and on the other to win new customers! A fantastic car for a fair price!
3rd sound
The M3 / M4 is now the fifth exhaust system installed .... because the sound of the customer does not particularly like.
But all attempts to rectify have not been very successful ....
This can make the current M2 worlds better! He has this wonderful, bright, singing sound, which has always thrilled - and still does - generations of BMW fans!
I'm driving an M3 for 2.5 years now and have just ordered a new one - because I need the four doors ...
The sound was an abomination to me from the beginning and that has not changed until today! He can only loud or nothing ... in between there is nothing!
That could the predecessor better ... because you could sometimes even slowly cruising through the city ... Connoisseurs have recognized the V8 immediately and looked ... and the unsuspecting and eco-terrorists you have not even noticed. With the current you fall even connoisseurs no more off - or all unpleasant as Proll!
And that's exactly what makes the M2 a world better ....
... and if you look back in the history of the M GmbH, then the M2 is actually what the M3 originally was
A reasonably affordable sports car that was perfectly suitable for everyday use!
Appreciate 4
      02-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #26
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
Where will you really use ~10% more power? Are you a track rat? If so, it might make a difference if you're a really good 10/10ths driver. Also, with the waiting lists that supposedly exist for the M2 S55, are you ready to wait a year or more before you can get your hands on one, likely at a higher price?
I don't really feel like that's the right question to ask. I am sure the S55 will change the character of the car for better or worse. Even if one doesn't "use" the extra power at 10/10th it will still have a different character likely of pulling all the way to redline, and that might be something someone wants even if they are not going for track times. Or maybe they just want the car to scare them a little bit more without doing a bunch of bolt ons and tune on the N55.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:47 PM   #27
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
And that's exactly what makes the M2 a world better ....
... and if you look back in the history of the M GmbH, then the M2 is actually what the M3 originally was
A reasonably affordable sports car that was perfectly suitable for everyday use!
Unstated here is the fact that not that long ago, certainly through 2013 in the case of the E82/E88 1-Series, and not that long before for other lines, you could buy almost any BMW sedan or coupe and have a driver's car. You didn't need to buy an M-Car just to get something that handled well, gave good driver feedback, and was fun to drive. Looking over what this marque now produces at almost every level should make any longtime BMW fanboy cry.
      02-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #28
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Unstated here is the fact that not that long ago, certainly through 2013 in the case of the E82/E88 1-Series, and not that long before for other lines, you could buy almost any BMW sedan or coupe and have a driver's car. You didn't need to buy an M-Car just to get something that handled well, gave good driver feedback, and was fun to drive. Looking over what this marque now produces at almost every level should make any longtime BMW fanboy cry.
We should just be happy that BMW decided to produce the M2 and keep all of us old school BMW fanboys happy for now.I loved my E46 M3 but even its exhaust sound sucked compared to the sound of the N55 in the M2.You will be very happy when your M2 arrives.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 09:44 PM   #29
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

S55 engine will never sound good. I think some people would have been happier if the competition came with the N55 vs the S55.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 10:52 PM   #30
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Hopefully prices drop a bit as the model goes out.
Just wait until the new model is out. N55's will have big price drops. Dealers will be working hard to get remaining inventory off their lots.

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 02-24-2018 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 10:58 PM   #31
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethC View Post
S55 engine will never sound good. I think more people would have been happier if the competition came with the N55 vs the S55.
Lets just ignore 99% of everything else that makes the S55 a far superior powerplant.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #32
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Lets just ignore 99% of everything else that makes the S55 a far superior powerplant.
For what?

I actually don't care very much because I'll never track my (soon to arrive) M2, and 365 HP is way more than enough for a car of this size and weight driven on public roads, under any conceivable circumstance.

I actually have a tiny bit of experience in this topic being as I own an S52 powered 2000 Z3M Coupe, rather than one of the few, more highly desirable, 2001 and 2002 models with the S54 engine. In that case, the HP difference was substantial, 315 vs. 240 in the "turtle" that I own. But guess what? For its size and weight, I can pass anything I want to, and quickly, in my sloth-version Z3M Coupe, and being that it's a vintage car with a bunch of stuff other than its engine, I'm happy with it. Would I pay twice as much for one of the later models, than I paid for my relatively low-mileage, single owner car, purchased 3 years ago? The answer is a resounding "NO."

But for the M2, with the power that it already has, we are talking peanuts here, except for the few budding race car drivers here on the forum.

Does the sound that this S55 engine make disqualify it for me? Not really, I'm not into that sort of thing very much. Do I think that the S55 vs N55 engine thing will make any difference to the vast majority of M2 owners, now and in the future? I really doubt it.
      02-25-2018, 01:48 AM   #33
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethC View Post
S55 engine will never sound good. I think more people would have been happier if the competition came with the N55 vs the S55.
How is it that much more superior?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 02:25 AM   #34
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Hopefully prices drop a bit as the model goes out.
Just wait until the new model is out. N55's will have big price drops. Dealers will be working hard to get remaining inventory off their lots.
My dealer has a brand new white m2 in the show room and they had to beg for it, they informed me bmw wont let them order anymore M2s.
      02-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #35
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Getting tired of seeing every thread turn into a n55 vs s55 thread. Either my penis is bigger or my wallet... could be both.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #36
Q8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MG M2

It's hard for me to jump to the M2 comp, new engine with more than 60hp stock more aggressive design. But I don't track much and I don't see where the extra Hp will make a big difference for my driving daily experience.
S55 sound? I was truly thankful that my M2 had the N55 after hearing M3 rev inside the M service center! But maybe M engineers will do something about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #37
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

My upcoming M2 will be one of the last N55's I suppose. I don't really care now, but I'm wondering why BMW just didn't put a detuned S55 in the M2 from the beginning. This question I'm sure has been asked on this forum in some form before.

I like their cars but they just keep nickel and diming people with all the configuration changes in such a short period of time. The M2 has only been out since 2016 and this, if true; will be the third change. It's almost like they didn't expect the popularity of the M2 to be what it is, and are now capitalizing on it.

From a business standpoint, I guess I don't blame them. I just hate to see everyone arguing and debating over this so much because I'm sure there are some who wish BMW hadn't done this.

Head Gasket issue aside, on the Focus RS forum there isn't nearly as much, if any; discussion about the 2018 RS LE having some of the things the original RS doesn't have, and a lot of those guys are just as hardcore as some of you.

It's just my opinion and observation, but a lot of the RS owners seem genuinely more happy & content with their purchase than a lot you. I actually sold some RS parts to a guy who had an M2 ,that he sold to his brother; and bought an RS.

Last edited by qnet; 02-25-2018 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #38
matto6
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

Whoa, the N55 is dead? Maybe I'm the only one living under a rock, but I thought the CS was being added as an option, not replacing the existing M2.

Where was this announced?

Clearly I need to follow this forum more closely.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #39
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
Whoa, the N55 is dead? Maybe I'm the only one living under a rock, but I thought the CS was being added as an option, not replacing the existing M2.

Where was this announced?

Clearly I need to follow this forum more closely.
Sorry to say, but this has been the rumor for months
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #40
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Still getting full MSRP quotes here in Seattle. Maybe that will change after Beijing.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #41
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I like their cars but they just keep nickel and diming people with all the configuration changes in such a short period of time. The M2 has only been out since 2016 and this, if true; will be the third change. It's almost like they didn't expect the popularity of the M2 to be what it is, and are now capitalizing on it.
The engine is changing because the N55 doesn't meet the upcoming European emission laws. Otherwise, IMHO, the M2 would have stayed the same for at least a couple of more years, since the LCI was 2018.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #42
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
The engine is changing because the N55 doesn't meet the upcoming European emission laws. Otherwise, IMHO, the M2 would have stayed the same for at least a couple of more years, since the LCI was 2018.
Interesting, that's the first I've heard of that.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:13 AM   #43
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Interesting, that's the first I've heard of that.
It was all over 2ertalk.de forum. EU is changing the way cars are going to be tested from Sep 2018 (real road tests replace synthetic dyno tests) and of course norms are going up (or down in this particular case )

What I suspect was the main thing that made them go S55 (apart from N55 not meeting the standards thus decreasing the bottom line due to additional tax) is a newly developed particle filter like diesels have that every S55 is going to have from this year in EU to meet the standards (not sure but that's what i expect to prolong the lifespan of this engine).
There was no point for more R&D on N55 as it's going out.

I'd say that original plan was to launch M2 and later LCI, then Competition (Package) with N55 and the goodies it gets now. Then at the end a CS with detuned S55. But the regulations changed and margin didn't add up, maybe that's why they had so much chaos in naming it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:25 AM   #44
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Not sure I understand these posts saying part of the reason there was a shift to S55 is emissions. I cannot find any reference saying S55 has lower emissions than N55. Anyone posting this have a link?
Appreciate 0