BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Will I regret ordering M2 now instead of waiting for M2 Competition ?

02-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

GREAT photo Artemis, that's a keeper for my personal M2 photo library. Can't wait to drive one through Europe and see sights like that again. We work so hard every day, it's photos like that which keep us going and looking forward to a day in the near future when that's us. How lucky are we all that we can be here today pondering these questions, a 365hp M2 now vs. a 405hp M2 in the future. I still remember the old '74 Subaru my dad had to drive...it had no passenger floor due to rust and we had to keep our feet up on the seat. Now I'm pondering perforated vs. non-perforated leather...
Appreciate 2
Artemis28913.00
Glounk115.00
      02-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
GREAT photo Artemis, that's a keeper for my personal M2 photo library. Can't wait to drive one through Europe and see sights like that again.
It's one from this Dolomites session: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9#post21662689.

Kind of fairy tale land.

Here's one I like from another session (close to the same spot). Still with my former 1M. It was Valencia Orange, so still partially on topic.

Poochie9099.00
      02-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #25
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Spar2k. Just trying to understand and not trying to be a smart arse.
My understanding Leipzig make 10 different BMW vehicles. I have been and worked on assembly lines and they all used the one line and the one paint shop for all the vehicles made. I assume BMW use the same system.
When you watch you car being made and the M2's before and after yours they do not get made all at once they seem to be made hours apart and Leipzig make approximately 20 M2's a day. My point being that they are going through the same paint area that the X1 goes through right?
The robots respond to the vehicle build # and therefore pickup the gun/color for that Build. Clearly the spray area is equipped to spray at least 10 different colors (likely way more). So all we are talking about is a change to the basic program for that vehicle. That is why they would charge you the special fee.
Maybe you know something I don't, but form my limited knowledge of these things does not seem that complicated for the robot to pick up an x-1 color instead of an M2 color.
You’re absolutely right. In overview, it really is that simple - if that’s the way the painting area at Leipzig is set up. I actually talked with one of the managers at the plant about getting a different color before ordering my M2 last year, and I was told that the setup of the plant would not allow a change on a practical or economical basis. He wouldn’t be any more specific than that, which wasn’t a surprise.

So, maybe there’s a situation like: 1) The same five guns are used for all colors and the line needs to be stopped so the paint room equipment can be cleaned (which is true in other auto plants I’ve visited, where different models in the same color are sprayed in the paint area before being routed to their respective assembly line positions); 2) There’s an issue with quality control or the extra time it takes for a single-car “custom” spray; 3) Possibly just-in-time parts from a storage area in the factory might not be able to be sent correctly to their respective vehicles for a one-off order; or 4) The position of the moon just isn’t right.

However, I do know that keeping the options simple from beginning to end of the production process helps keeps costs down, and that might be the bottom line at Leipzig. The whole car assembly process is incredibly complex, and it always amazes me how only a tiny number of vehicles ever receive the wrong parts. When I watched my C6 Corvette being assembled, I was shocked to find that there were more than 140 possible interior wiring harnesses that could be installed in my car. But during the 2 days I was in the plant, I never saw the line stop once for a single incorrect part.

I hope the remodeling at Leipzig allows more paint colors. It seems like every time I drive by a BMW dealer, it’s like looking at a black-and-white TV.

Last edited by Spa2k; 02-17-2018 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Fixed photo
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #26
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Are you sure if this? Leipzig produced more cars than the m2 right. Those cars have others colors. My SA told me another customer ordered another Color it cost $5k CN plus extra for the paint....can't remember the color....silver i think. He may have made this up but don't see why he would.
This question/debate pops up over and over again but the fact always remains the same - there's no Individual program for the M2 nor any other car at its plant. We can keep debating why but it isn't going to change the reality of the situation in the short term.
      02-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #27
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
You’re absolutely right. In overview, it really is that simple - if that’s the way the painting area at Leipzig is set up. I actually talked with one of the managers at the plant about getting a different color before ordering my M2 last year, and I was told that the setup of the plant would not allow a change on a practical or economical basis. He wouldn’t be any more specific than that, which wasn’t a surprise.
Last year BMW got itself a new paint shop in Munich (€200 million): see here.

02-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #28
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
Thanks for the input. I'll just keep my order as is I guess.

What is the usual wait time for these cars? When I ordered my m235i, I believe I waited for roughly 3 month.
I'm guessing since you don't have a production number yet that you can likely expect one about a month from now when second quarter allocations come out. So, if that's the case, you may be able to find out what the production week is sometime next month. In NY, you could get the car in as little as 5 weeks or so after production is complete but, yeah, they do estimate 6-8 for the east coast.
      02-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #29
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Last year BMW got itself a new paint shop in Munich (€200 million): see here.
If you want to read about Plant Leipzig, go here: https://www.bmwgroup-werke.com/leipzig/en.html.

On the Plant Structure page, BMW says, "The assembly is structured like a comb or the fingers of a hand. Specially designed extensions to the buildings facilitate the delivery of material with lorries to all places of assembly. The integration of new assembly steps is also possible by adding a new finger, making the assembly ready for the future."

So, I guess if we want new colors, maybe all we need to do is ask BMW to give us the finger!
Appreciate 1
Wilsm2187.50
      02-18-2018, 12:53 AM   #30
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
If the previous CS cars are any indication then the M2 CS will be absurdly expensive and you should feel very comfortable that you will not regret your decision. Yes you will want the CS when it comes out. But you will likely either not be able to or want to pay the huge premium plus the dealer markup over sticker. You'll be busy enjoying your M2. Go for the M2 now and enjoy.
I just want to clear up some confusion here. CS has not been confirmed internally, and if it does come it will be a year after the M2 Competition. M2 Competition will not be expensive. In fact in some markets it will be cheaper than the existing M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 03:28 AM   #31
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I just want to clear up some confusion here. CS has not been confirmed internally, and if it does come it will be a year after the M2 Competition. M2 Competiition will not be expensive. In fact in some markets it will be cheaper than the existing M2.
"The M2 Competition will be cheaper than the existing M2 in some markets": please elaborate that logic-defying statement.
termigni1080.00
      02-18-2018, 04:02 AM   #32
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
"The M2 Competition will be cheaper than the existing M2 in some markets": please elaborate that logic-defying statement.
I know it’s hard to understand that and there is seemingly no logic to it. All I ask is that you remember I said this. Some of us don’t/can’t reveal everything we know.😊
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:07 AM   #33
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
I know it’s hard to understand that and there is seemingly no logic to it. All I ask is that you remember I said this. Some of us don’t/can’t reveal everything we know.��
Well if they mount a particle filter à la DPF in it and it has lower emissions than current M2, in countries like Netherlands or UK it can easily be cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 04:29 AM   #34
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
M2 Competition will not be expensive. In fact in some markets it will be cheaper than the existing M2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Well if they mount a particle filter à la DPF in it and it has lower emissions than current M2, in countries like Netherlands or UK it can easily be cheaper.
I commented your posts in post #1497 of the dedicated M2 Competition thread.
      02-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #35
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Spar2k. Just trying to understand and not trying to be a smart arse.
My understanding Leipzig make 10 different BMW vehicles. I have been and worked on assembly lines and they all used the one line and the one paint shop for all the vehicles made. I assume BMW use the same system.
When you watch you car being made and the M2's before and after yours they do not get made all at once they seem to be made hours apart and Leipzig make approximately 20 M2's a day. My point being that they are going through the same paint area that the X1 goes through right?
The robots respond to the vehicle build # and therefore pickup the gun/color for that Build. Clearly the spray area is equipped to spray at least 10 different colors (likely way more). So all we are talking about is a change to the basic program for that vehicle. That is why they would charge you the special fee.
Maybe you know something I don't, but form my limited knowledge of these things does not seem that complicated for the robot to pick up an x-1 color instead of an M2 color.
I thought about this as well. I suppose if you pick a color that was on another production vehicle at leipzig then maybe you could do it for the five grand. I'm hoping they're still making cars in Mineral Gray when the comp comes out if so I'm going to inquire about that. But if you're looking for a color out of the individual portfolio it's not going to happen.

I read Michael Fux had to pay around 40,000 US to get his M2 in Austin yellow. As they had to ship the car to another Factory to paint it.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #36
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
Will I regret ordering M2 now instead of waiting for M2 Competition ?
Appreciate 4
Spa2k1193.00
Wegz13.50
      02-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #37
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
I know it’s hard to understand that and there is seemingly no logic to it. All I ask is that you remember I said this. Some of us don’t/can’t reveal everything we know.😊
Hope you are right! Even if it's close in the U.S. That will be great...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #38
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post
I'm hoping they're still making cars in Mineral Gray when the comp comes out if so I'm going to inquire about that.
Pretty sure it has been established you cannot get MG after MY18...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #39
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I'm hoping they're still making cars in Mineral Gray when the comp comes out if so I'm going to inquire about that.
None of the 118 retrieved M2 Competition test mules has a Mineral Grey body color:
  • 48 x Black Sapphire Metallic (popular test mule color for obvious camouflage reasons)
  • 24 x Hockenheim Silver Metallic (M2 Competition launch color)
  • 20 x Alpine White 3 (the only non-metallic color)
  • 14 x Long Beach Blue Metallic (2016 M2 launch color)
  • 12 x Sunset Orange Metallic (now also available for the regular 2-Series)
Sunset Orange on an M240i LCI:

02-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #40
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
None of the 118 retrieved M2 Competition test mules has a Mineral Grey body color:
  • 48 x Black Sapphire Metallic (popular test mule color for obvious camouflage reasons)
  • 24 x Hockenheim Silver Metallic (M2 Competition launch color)
  • 20 x Alpine White 3 (the only non-metallic color)
  • 14 x Long Beach Blue Metallic (2016 M2 launch color)
  • 12 x Sunset Orange Metallic (now also available for the regular 2-Series)
No I understand that. I'm hoping mineral grey will still be offered on other production models made at Leipzig, and if that's the case *maybe* I can get that as an individual color bearing in mind it shouldn't affect the paint shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #41
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I read Michael Fux had to pay around 40,000 US to get his M2 in Austin yellow. As they had to ship the car to another Factory to paint it.
The breakdown of that $114K M-DCT M2 was different:
  • Austin Yellow Metallic: $12,795
  • Black Leather with Atacama Yellow contrast stitching: $7,060
  • Additional customization: $26,445
The VIN build sheet (VIN is indicated at the bottom of the sticker) reveals exterior, brake calipers and side mirrors painted Austin Yellow. Interior bits 'n pieces in CF, Atacama Yellow contrast stitching and a "specially made for Michael Fux" door sill mention as cherry on the cake.

It doesn't feature the M Driver's Package (option 7ME = V-max of 270 km/h (168mph) instead of 250 km/h (155mph) + M Driving Experience course). So it's not full option.

02-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #42
Rapture1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C

Garage List
2018 Audi TTRS  [8.00]
2017 Porsche C4S  [9.50]
2011 BMW 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2007 Audi RS4  [5.50]
2004 VW R32  [6.50]
2021 M2 Competition  [9.50]
Yes, you will.
      04-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #43
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
Production is finally finished and now it is waiting to be shipped to the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #44
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0