Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pissclams View Post
Take it out of Comfort Mode. If it still sounds like an Accord, something is wrong. My MPE has too much to say sometimes when in Sport Mode.
That is not your MPE making the noise. It is ASD. With ASD eliminated it sound the same in comfort and sport.

I am just glad that I got a later 2018 that didn’t need the LCI software update.

And yes, my MPE crackles and pops on downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:04 PM   #46
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
That is not your MPE making the noise. It is ASD. With ASD eliminated it sound the same in comfort and sport.

I am just glad that I got a later 2018 that didn’t need the LCI software update.

And yes, my MPE crackles and pops on downshifts.
Dan, when was your car produced? Mine was produced in August and I took September '17 delivery and Im under the recall. Probably get it done next Sept when I bring it in for its annual paid-for oil change.. Not that I want it done, but they'll ram it down my throat. I hope by then we get some consensus as to whats going on with this snap-crackle-pop issue.

Last edited by boostm3; 04-26-2018 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
DanG10547.50
      04-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #47
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Dan, when was your car produced? Mine was produced in August and I took September '17 delivery and Im under the recall. Probably get it done next Sept when I bring it in for its annual paid-for oil change.. Not that I want it done, but they'll ram it down my throat. I hope by then we get some consensus as to whats going on with this snap-crackle-pop issue.
Mine says 11/17 production date. I took delivery in January. It obviously has seen the 1200 mile service and no update was done.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #48
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Mine says 11/17 production date. I took delivery in January. It obviously has seen the 1200 mile service and no update was done.
Mine was built 12/18/17. Picked it up April 9th. Not sure how long it was at the dealer's lot, but it was delivered to the dealer I purchased from.
      04-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #49
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Popped into dealer today. They told me the istep update can not alter the sounds the car makes!
Anyways, booked in for next week where we will compare my car to other M2's they have without the update. Can't wait to hear their explanation after this exercise. This was their idea btw so I appreciate their willingness to try to get to the bottom of this.
Appreciate 3
eeyang92318.50
pz6193277.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      04-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #50
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Popped into dealer today. They told me the istep update can not alter the sounds the car makes!
Anyways, booked in for next week where we will compare my car to other M2's they have without the update. Can't wait to hear their explanation after this exercise. This was their idea btw so I appreciate their willingness to try to get to the bottom of this.
They can , as they can modify the maps and setup
Appreciate 1
Dabozo624.50
      04-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #51
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

What the hell is istep? I'm taking my 2017 for service next week and they better not touch the sound. It is 90% of the enjoyment for me. Here's my conspiracy theory: the N55 especially with MPE will blow away the sound of the upcoming Competition model. BMW doesn't want the latest greatest model to be upstaged so they are quietly (pun intended) neutering our cars. Fuck that I'll make sure there are no software updates done on mine.
Appreciate 3
RussM4263.50
KevM2721.50
Cavpilot2k1023.00
      04-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #52
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
What the hell is istep? I'm taking my 2017 for service next week and they better not touch the sound. It is 90% of the enjoyment for me. Here's my conspiracy theory: the N55 especially with MPE will blow away the sound of the upcoming Competition model. BMW doesn't want the latest greatest model to be upstaged so they are quietly (pun intended) neutering our cars. Fuck that I'll make sure there are no software updates done on mine.
There is still loads to love about the car but not going to lie...it's a bit of a downer now whenever I get behind the wheel.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #53
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

@Dabozo

There's a very long debate on the subject of software updates in the F80 forum.. Might be worth checking out.

Firmware/Software Versions https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1261500
Appreciate 1
Dabozo624.50
      04-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #54
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
I upgraded my Istep and now the car its missing that awesome cracks and pops that made me fell in love with the car ... anyone experiencing this with the latest software ?
I cant seem to access that version info screen in IDrive.. Can someone direct me?
      04-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #55
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I upgraded my Istep and now the car its missing that awesome cracks and pops that made me fell in love with the car ... anyone experiencing this with the latest software ?
I cant seem to access that version info screen in IDrive.. Can someone direct me?
Go to map, option button, nav settings, position and software version, software version.
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      04-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #56
m34m
Captain
Rep

Guys why isn't this thread blowing up? This should be one of the most important issues to current M2 owners. What the hell is BMW up to? Are they neutralizing our cars to try and make the Comp a better sounding car? I want to hear from some heavy hitters. Artemis?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #57
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Go to map, option button, nav settings, position and software version, software version.
What is the version now and what is the "updated" version. I need specifics so I can steer clear.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #58
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Possible!! Just like how Apple was secretly slowing down the iPhones with each update

I'm gonna check my version since it's probably the updated one because it's a January build and I took delivery in March... and maybe it has subdued crackles and pops without my knowledge since it's the only M2 I've ever driven... could it have something to do with the new emissions regulations? :
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #59
m34m
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Quote:
Possible!! Just like how Apple was secretly slowing down the iPhones with each update

I'm gonna check my version since it's probably the updated one because it's a January build and I took delivery in March... and maybe it has subdued crackles and pops without my knowledge since it's the only M2 I've ever driven... could it have something to do with the new emissions regulations? :
Can you demand that they not update software or is there no choice?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #60
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is the version now and what is the "updated" version. I need specifics so I can steer clear.
I went from H162051 (no issues except for some connectivity concerns) to N180321 (toned (and possibly tuned?) down).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #61
m34m
Captain
Rep

Mine is a 2017. It says K170521
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #62
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Guys why isn't this thread blowing up?
Because it's a non issue for many of us and so it seems like you guys are making something out of nothing.

Exhaust volume/sound is easily affected by air intlet temps, engine/oil temps, exhaust gas temps and ambient air temp, meaning your car will always sound somewhat different depending on a combination of factors related to temperature. I highly doubt it has anything to do with what version of istep you're running. I've gotten multiple istep updates and my car sounds identical.

What (I think) they might have done is change the way the ASD is set up. It may be quieter now due to complaints of it being too loud (I assume), or maybe it's just a conspiracy to sell more MPE's. Who knows.

I wouldn't know personally since I had ASD coded out but I think I remember reading that they did turn it down, so maybe what some people here are noticing is the ASD volume has decreased.

That might explain why some of us (ASD Bypass harness/coding) haven't noticed any differences.
Appreciate 3
      04-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #63
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
What they HAVE done is change the way ASD is set up. It's quieter now due to complaints of it being too loud (I assume), or maybe it's just a conspiracy to sell more MPE's. Who knows.

I wouldn't know personally since I had ASD coded out but I read that they did turn it down. Maybe what some people here are noticing is the ASD volume has decreased.

That would explain why some of us (ASD Bypass harness/coding) haven't noticed any differences.
Hey Andrew, I've got a question. We pick up our car on May 5, and as someone with Tinnitus I've always assumed I'd need to either install the bypass or code out ASD - I've already downloaded and studied up on the Bimmercode app as a first step. Are you saying that BMW has made changes that have decreased the impact of ASD in recent production cars and I may not have to mess with this? I'm not asking you to predict whether it will still bug me, just making sure I'm interpreting your post correctly - I've followed the forums for about 8 months and thought the ASD from a 2016 car is the same as ASD today.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #64
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Hey Andrew, I've got a question. We pick up our car on May 5, and as someone with Tinnitus I've always assumed I'd need to either install the bypass or code out ASD - I've already downloaded and studied up on the Bimmercode app as a first step. Are you saying that BMW has made changes that have decreased the impact of ASD in recent production cars and I may not have to mess with this? I'm not asking you to predict whether it will still bug me, just making sure I'm interpreting your post correctly - I've followed the forums for about 8 months and thought the ASD from a 2016 car is the same as ASD today.
I don't have the evidence on hand (I have to go look for it) so it's not something I can promise or guarantee. I just remember reading it somewhere and I believe that this is why people are complaining their car sounds different/quieter after an istep update.

Regardless of whether I'm right or not, if you have Tinnitus and the ASD is bothering you, you should buy a bypass harness or code it out with bimmercode. It's really not that difficult and It makes the cabin MUCH more peaceful and bearable to sit in. Don't be hesitant, just bite the bullet and do it. You'll thank me later.
Appreciate 2
DanG10547.50
      04-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #65
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Guys why isn't this thread blowing up?
Because it's a non issue and you guys are making something out of nothing. An istep update isn't going to change the way your exhaust sounds. Period.

Exhaust volume/sound is affected by air intlet temps, engine/oil temps, exhaust gas temps and ambient air temp, meaning your car will always sound somewhat different depending on a combination of factors related to temperature. It has nothing to do with what version of istep you're running. They're not re tuning the car each time you update your software. I've gotten multiple istep updates and my car sounds identical.

What they HAVE done is change the way ASD is set up. It's quieter now due to complaints of it being too loud (I assume), or maybe it's just a conspiracy to sell more MPE's. Who knows.

I wouldn't know personally since I had ASD coded out but I read that they did turn it down. Maybe what some people here are noticing is the ASD volume has decreased.

That would explain why some of us (ASD Bypass harness/coding) haven't noticed any differences.
I appreciate your input but something is definitely up. I don't have asd (coded out). So I've ruled it out as playing a role here.
Re temperatures etc, totally makes sense that it would cause variation in sound but the difference is night and day. Compared to when I brought car in, it has warmed up considerably here since and car def popped and cracked more prior to visit. No doubt about it.
I sincerely wish that I can come back here and say you were right all along. I have no problems with eating crow on this one...
I want to do some more WOT runs this weekend to see if that changes things.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #66
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I appreciate your input but something is definitely up. I don't have asd (coded out). So I've ruled it out as playing a role here.
Re temperatures etc, totally makes sense that it would cause variation in sound but the difference is night and day. Compared to when I brought car in, it has warmed up considerably here since and car def popped and cracked more prior to visit. No doubt about it.
I sincerely wish that I can come back here and say you were right all along. I have no problems with eating crow on this one...
I want to do some more WOT runs this weekend to see if that changes things.
I believe you guys when you say you're hearing changes, but there are probably other factors at play here that we're not aware of.

Besides temperature, brand of exhaust may have an effect on sound changes over time. The constant heating up and cooling down causes the pipes to constantly contract and expand. Depending on the material and quality of one's exhaust system it could theoretically cause a sound change over enough time/miles.

Curious what kind of exhaust everyone who's complaining is running and how many miles they've put on it. Maybe we'll see a pattern.
Appreciate 2
Dabozo624.50