BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > BMW M2 LCI to wait or not to wait?

03-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #221
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
Personally i don't think i'd want this, its cool and all but its just not M BMW, it think there is a beauty in the classic analogue dials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
Yep, the digital display is a matter of personal taste. Intellectually I can understand the benefits of it, but aesthetically it's just not for me. Too "flat".
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
don't get me wrong i think its awesome what Audi have done how its basically everything and its really cool, but like you said its a matter of taste, personally i think the digital screen takes away a portion of the driving experience, just like on the inside of the BMW's the classic orange ambient lighting, its all part of the experience of owning a BMW
I'd probably agree with you if the quality of the instrument binnacle was anything to write home about like a Porsche display for example.It's not though.

Sadly it's that low rent you can't even read the unlit dials because BMW thought nobody needed to read it in the daytime not to mention the temp displays or lack of without having to scroll through for a combined afterthought.

It's in need of modernising...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 01:32 AM   #222
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockholmSyndrome View Post
I don't think BMW changes the aesthetics very much for LCI, aside from the lighting upgrades. I'm not in a rush to get into an m2 so I was okay with pushing out my order for MY18. Congratulations on your order and I hope you get yours soon!
The LCI dash was covered in camo so they'll probably add digital speedo and new idrive to stay in line with the recent competition trends.
Wow I didn't know that. This will really make the wait worth it!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #223
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB330Ci View Post
I contacted Classic the end of January, this is the email I got from them:

"...We currently have 113 people on the waiting list, and the 90th person just ordered theirs, so it's looking like a 2-4 months before your name would come up if we added you today. Once we submit your build/order, it's about a 3-4 month production turn around for it to arrive then.'....

So I asked them to add me to the waiting list right away but on 2018's. I checked it with them again a week ago and was told there were 12 people in front of me. Hopefully they will have enough April-June allocations for those. I was also told my best chance was to get 2018 allocations.
This is absolutely insane - where are all these people hiding their M2s in north Dallas? I have literally seen one LBB M2 since the car came out. There's also been a white one @ Cars & Coffee at Classic BMW a few times, but that's it.

Who are you dealing with @ Classic? Just curious - before I got my 981, a couple of the SAs gave me the run-around there. Mauricio is good though - he will be straight with you, whatever the list actually looks like.
      03-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #224
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Will the LCI get LED headlights? And the new design that flow into the middle of the grill?

That would be worth waiting for IMO - that looks really sharp.
      03-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #225
piesauce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 | BMW M3 | 6MT

I find it hard to believe that the changes aren't made public yet. Being as I work for one of the "Big 3" in the auto industry I know that at a plant level they know what the changes are because they're already running pilots on the 18MY. And if you're telling me that some dealer doesn't have a contact or someone that knows a person who works in the BMW manufacturing plant doesn't know something than you're full of it.

All I'm saying is... where's our Snowden of the BMW industry?? Where's our LEAK!? Of all you people on here, nobody knows someone who works at the manufacturing plant actually building the 18MY pilots right now??
Appreciate 2
ddnmkun153.50
Corinne1171.00
      03-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #226
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by piesauce View Post
I find it hard to believe that the changes aren't made public yet.
When in their history has change notification timing been otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #227
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that the changes aren't made public yet. Being as I work for one of the "Big 3" in the auto industry I know that at a plant level they know what the changes are because they're already running pilots on the 18MY. And if you're telling me that some dealer doesn't have a contact or someone that knows a person who works in the BMW manufacturing plant doesn't know something than you're full of it.

All I'm saying is... where's our Snowden of the BMW industry?? Where's our LEAK!? Of all you people on here, nobody knows someone who works at the manufacturing plant actually building the 18MY pilots right now??
There's one or two that throw us a bone our way now and then with pretty accurate speculation that BMW are happy to let through but anything other than that and job retention comes into play I imagine.
It wouldn't be fair to expect somebody to risk their livelihood for the sake of a forum.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      03-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #228
piesauce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
When in their history has change notification timing been otherwise?
I'm not speaking about BMW actually making the change notifications public. I'm referring to people who are like me, that could tell you everything that is changing with the 2 vehicles I work with up into 2019 as of now.. We've already ran through our first phase of pilot builds here. I could be a guys "inside man" for change details on the vehicles I support as an engineer.

I'm simply wondering how out of all the people on this forum that not ONE has close relations with some engineer or assembly line worker who knows what the changes are.

It's just the impatience talking.. Aren't we all a little impatient
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #229
ddnmkun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, G05

Quote:
Yep, the digital display is a matter of personal taste. Intellectually I can understand the benefits of it, but aesthetically it's just not for me. Too "flat".
Totally agree!!
It looks pretty neat, but what if...just like my iphone, after a few years, some dead pixel starts showing up, it will just bugs me all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #230
piesauce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
There's one or two that throw us a bone our way now and then with pretty accurate speculation that BMW are happy to let through but anything other than that and job retention comes into play I imagine.
It wouldn't be fair to expect somebody to risk their livelihood for the sake of a forum.
Solution to that... Create an alias at a local library and post on the forum. Their livelihood will not be at stake. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #231
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
Quote:
Solution to that... Create an alias at a local library and post on the forum. Their livelihood will not be at stake. lol
That's great to know
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #232
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnmkun View Post
Totally agree!!
It looks pretty neat, but what if...just like my iphone, after a few years, some dead pixel starts showing up, it will just bugs me all the time.
Yeah, there is that as well. I also fear the "all or nothing" issue that can happen. A friend with a Tesla had his display fail at which point he had no instruments whatsoever. I realize the same could happen to analog instruments, but it just feels like it would be less likely.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #233
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A friend with a Tesla had his display fail at which point he had no instruments whatsoever.
That's hilariously broken.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #234
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
This is absolutely insane - where are all these people hiding their M2s in north Dallas? I have literally seen one LBB M2 since the car came out. There's also been a white one @ Cars & Coffee at Classic BMW a few times, but that's it.

Who are you dealing with @ Classic? Just curious - before I got my 981, a couple of the SAs gave me the run-around there. Mauricio is good though - he will be straight with you, whatever the list actually looks like.
interesting how they seem to come out at Lone star chapter BMW CCA events...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #235
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
hm

the m3/4 is 35xx lbs, much larger and does come in a manual.
According the BMW.ca, the M3/M4 are Auto transmission only.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #236
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
My point is that if there are 100+ people in line, then there should be plenty of cars in the area that have already been sold to owners - yes, it makes sense that if I go searching for an M2 at a CCA event, I will find some.

It just seems, with a list that long, very improbable that all of those folks wait it out and actually buy a car. Because you would see them around, and I really don't...and I am on the SRT and DNT and in-between every day.
      03-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #237
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
My point is that if there are 100+ people in line, then there should be plenty of cars in the area that have already been sold to owners - yes, it makes sense that if I go searching for an M2 at a CCA event, I will find some.

It just seems, with a list that long, very improbable that all of those folks wait it out and actually buy a car. Because you would see them around, and I really don't...and I am on the SRT and DNT and in-between every day.

Yes. I've said this for about 6 years now.

BMW doesn't really want to sell a 1M or its successor ... the M2.

They love that buyers are attracted by the sizzle of the M2 but they want buyers to step up to the M3/M4 or slide down to an M240 if at all possible. They make this happen by restricting the volume of the M2.

Indeed if BMW really wanted to sell the M2 then they should have many more available. However it is abundantly clear TO ME that this is not the case.

The other three models have long options lists ( for more profit ) , and of course you know BMW for decades wanted to make the 3 series the luxury midsize sedan sales crown winner.
They went for bust creating the 4 series to do so and that has backfired because the competition brought out smaller models in the same class where ass BMW just split the lineup into 3 and 4 series and then fractured that more with gran coupes etc. and they really don't sell 2 series at all ... but I digress ...

Based on a poll among these pages - 60 percent of the buyers in line for an M2 will flake out and still buy another BMW product .

Around 25 percent will go buy a Porsche and the rest will scatter across the market.

So it really doesn't hurt BMW that people are waiting in line ... it's up to the individuals in line to decide on what they want.

Some patient fools will be waiting until the M2 supply dries up, like a game of duck duck goose. Hopefully most true enthusiasts will actually recognize the sales model for what it and step out of the long lines and find dealers that have allocations.

I have a background in sales. So it's easy for me to recognize this sales strategy. Apparently a lot of people believe that every manufacturer wants to mass produced every model they make and will make them available like Lays does potato chips .. " we'll make more ".

Sorry folks but that's not the sales model for the M2. It's been available for 12 months and yet quantities are still incredibly limited .. time to wake up
Appreciate 3
amw896582.50
bollinm25.00
      03-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #238
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

Quote:

They love that buyers are attracted by the sizzle of the M2 but they want buyers to step up to the M3/M4 or slide down to an M240 if at all possible. They make this happen by restricting the volume of the M2.

Indeed if BMW really wanted to sell the M2 then they should have many more available. However it is abundantly clear TO ME that this is not the case.

The other three models have long options lists ( for more profit ) , and of course you know BMW for decades wanted to make the 3 series the luxury midsize sedan sales crown winner.
They went for bust creating the 4 series to do so and that has backfired because the competition brought out smaller models in the same class where ass BMW just split the lineup into 3 and 4 series and then fractured that more with gran coupes etc. and they really don't sell 2 series at all ... but I digress ...

Based on a poll among these pages - 60 percent of the buyers in line for an M2 will flake out and still buy another BMW product .

Around 25 percent will go buy a Porsche and the rest will scatter across the market.

So it really doesn't hurt BMW that people are waiting in line ... it's up to the individuals in line to decide on what they want.

Some patient fools will be waiting until the M2 supply dries up, like a game of duck duck goose. Hopefully most true enthusiasts will actually recognize the sales model for what it and step out of the long lines and find dealers that have allocations.

I have a background in sales. So it's easy for me to recognize this sales strategy. Apparently a lot of people believe that every manufacturer wants to mass produced every model they make and will make them available like Lays does potato chips .. " we'll make more ".

Sorry folks but that's not the sales model for the M2. It's been available for 12 months and yet quantities are still incredibly limited .. time to wake up
Interesting... is that why they kept the power figures so close to the M235/M240?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #239
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinHou View Post
Quote:

Interesting... is that why they kept the power figures so close to the M235/M240?

That's way too tight a focus In my opinion.. the overall entire vehicles- not just the motor .. are quite similar when comparing the m240 and M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #240
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyinHou View Post
MSRP is about the same in the US anyway, and a lot of people just buy based on power figures. So makes strategic sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #241
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
if you really like this generation, then from a financial perspective it'll be best to wait. M2s are currently big time inflated but once the (expected) s55 powered M2 rolls out, the n55s will plummet in value. Just nature of it when it comes to luxury cars I guess. Of course, that's just speculative but these are not limited in terms of supply like the 1m so i would bet it'll happen.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #242
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
if you really like this generation, then from a financial perspective it'll be best to wait. M2s are currently big time inflated but once the (expected) s55 powered M2 rolls out, the n55s will plummet in value. Just nature of it when it comes to luxury cars I guess. Of course, that's just speculative but these are not limited in terms of supply like the 1m so i would bet it'll happen.
I thought the general train of thought was that the CS / CSLmight get the S55, whilst the regular might go to the B58 - and even that would take a while to arrive?
Appreciate 0